Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey

samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
Am I the first one to open this discussion?...

So what do you say? Will the new Freestar be competitive or not? With no AWD offered, and just a 200 hp engine (or 201 upgraded) and 4-speed tranny, will it be a winner? Please post your opinion.

Comments

• trainboytrainboy Member Posts: 66
    My wife and I need to replace her 96 Windstar. We drove the '04 Sienna, it was nice, but the trim seemed cheesey. We are both 6 feet tall and we didn't get the Odyssey of the lot due to poor front leg room.

We will wait for the Freestar. We want the side curtain airbag and folding 3 row seat. The current 3.8/200hp is adequate for California freeways. The rest is old hat, but we know what to expect. I have had an '00, '02 and '03 Windstar as a company van and they are fine for our use.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    AWD version of the Chrysler minivans, really dont make up that much of it's overall sales, I believe it's 10-15% overall. Ford believes such customers would rather buy an SUV for AWD, rather than the Freestar. Plus the platform which the Freestar rides on, wasnt originally engineered to handle AWD, so having to retrofit it at this stage of the game (new P2 platform next generation) would cost quite a bit of money.

Look for an increased version of the current 3.8L, which will be the 3.9L V6 making 200HP and probably around 240-245TQ. There WILL be an optional 4.2L (a bored out version of the 3.9L) making 201HP and 265TQ, most torque in it's class. This latter engine will be the sole standard engine for the Mercury twin, the Monterrey.

So far, Ford has stated it has concentrated on NVH and interior materials, so look for a very classy interior. Same designer J.Mays, is credited for the interior quality and design, which he was responsible for VW's interiors, which are deemed one of the finest in the industry.

Also, power liftgate, tumble and dissapear 3rd row seating, safety airbag canopy system protecting the sides in events of a rollover, will debut. Talk about safety overkill !!

So far from the pics Ford have shown, the interior is quite elegant, while the exterior seems a bit more refined and elegant overall. If you want to avoid the Freestar version, Mercury's clone will look equally elegant and most of the higher end options would be standard on the Mercury version.

Overall I do think it'll do well, even though there's increased competition from the new Sienna and Quest.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Do you really think that 201 HP engine will beat the competitors which offer 230-240 hp? Do you think that the additional 20 lb-ft of torque will beat the extra 40 hp of other models? And it's really big, 4.2L, which is a sign of fuel loving, while the imported models are just 3.3/3.5L, and much more refined?

And just a 4-speed tranny while others have 5-speed?

And others have more room, too. Some, (Odyssey & Quest) offers independent suspension.

So we got to wait and see.
    I'm just giving you the information, and how it has improved from one generation to another. Personally if I would be in the market for a Minivan (which I definatly won't ever be) I would choose the new Sienna. It copied all the best attributes from the Windstar, MPV, Oddysey, etc. and incorporated it in a bigger package. OR if I must stay with the Ford line, I would pick the Freestyle, and have a Cross-over situation to contend with. I wouldn't choose the Freestar/Monterey twins.

Surely, the engine upgrades give it a bit more power. But the vehicle WILL gain a bit of weight from the added improvements. So performance wise it'll be the same.

But this isn't a segment that most buyers will worry about performance. Most drivers will only notice the power, while passing a vehicle at most. So torque would be a priority, over HP. I agree power is important in any vehicle.

Most of consumers that will purchase this vehicle, have 2 brats strapped to the back seat, toys are flying everywhere, they are probably on a cell phone while driving... Do we REALLY want them to have that much power??

Ironically from the survey conducted "Customer clinics", performance was not on the top of the list that minivan owners described/asked for. It was comfort, 2nd place was "toys".

Sidenote: Fuel efficiency speaking. Some of those other engines you mentioned, require Preimium or Midgrade fuel, while the Freestar requires regular. So the EPA numbers might be 1 or 2 off here and there, it'll pretty much equal the same gas bill at the end of the year.

I dont believe EPA numbers much. From my experiences, I've been able to make a Civic drink 18MPG, while making a Mark8 drink 25MPG-28MPG Highway. Now with my LS, I should be lucky even hitting 12MPG CTY, 18MPG HWY. My bestfriend has an Oddysey, and she drives very much like I do. And when she's frustrated, she's been able to get 10-11MPG. So just depends on the persons foot. EPA numbers should be used as an example to compare, but not an exact science.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    ANT, is 3.8L still blowing head gasket ? I mean why Ford didn't drop it yet with all that new modular engines available ?
    Nope, the head gasket issue was resolved already, I believe it dealt with the 3.8L built between 94-98 (I forgot the specifics), after that it was rectified. Extended warranties were given out, etc.

The reason Ford had to continue with this engine for the Freestar/Monterey, is mainly because the quantity and output needed, is readily available at the EEP-Essex Engine Plant. All other engine plants that produce the modular engines, are busy enough as it is, than to have Ford ask them to output 300,000 more engine units. So at this time, the proper plants are being upgraded to allow for great engine outputs. A slow phase-in, from one engine to another is what works best, with a graduate re-tool of the factor.

Example: Ford-"Hmm the new 2004 F-150 is too porky to continue using the 4.2L OHV V-6, what are we to do being there's 60,000 units of those engines being made"...."Hey!! lets make it an optional engine on the Freestar, standard on Monterey, and that way we can get rid of those units!!" That was the thinking.

And re-tooling a factory from one engine to another (at least in that engine) takes quite a bit of money. With the other engine families, such as the Duratec's and Modular V8's, their factories respectivly are able to switch from one displacement easily. So if they needed more output of the 5.4L, over the 4.6L, then it's easily done.

Personally (just my thinking here), I WOULD have preffered to see the 4.0L SOHC V-6 from the Explorer have been used. 210HP and 240TQ. is the closest power match available. But it's costlier to produce, and the retro-fit of that unit into a FWD transaxle would have cost more development money.

The 3.0L DOHC Duratec V6 wouldn't be sufficient for the load and weight of this vehicle, which is why the Mazda MPV does better with it.

So till the 3.5L Cyclone V-6 doesnt debut, (still a year and some away), the current Essex engines will continue to be used. But their time is coming up soon....
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I have had a 95GL, 99SE and presently a 00SEL. One thing my wife noticed from the pictures is the center stack is NOT angled toward the driver which she likes and I must say is a nice way to go. Bur overall it is a good looking interior. 200HP is enough, especially with the tourqe numbers. We are staying away from anything that requires high test. My wife had a Probe GT that required high test and after awhile putting in gas at $1.75 (it did get up to about $2.00 here on the east coast) per gallon got to be real old. At 26 gallons in the star that is a lot of money. Right now gas is about 1.42 at my Costco and even at that price 20 gallons is $30. However, I have been able to get the average MPG up to 21.7 according to the computer. I bought it used and it was a 18 MPG. The person must has had a really heavy foot. But I guess the proof will be in the driving.
    I also noticed the same as your wife... Center dash will be flat. The current Windstar is a slightly more comfortable, but on the other hand, it's not so comfy for the front passenger.

I personally would prefer the way Toyota & Honda are doing, which is a slanted dash (am I saying it right? English is my second language...) Just look in any of Toyota/Lexus - Honda/Acura model and you will understand. It makes everything much more reachable and gives you easier access to most controls. Neither of the Domestic companies make it this way.
    Ah yes, I remember I once started a post, pertaining to center canted dashboard consoles, and driver canted center consoles. Needless to say, I'm sure no one read it....

I prefer driver oriented center consoles. I'm the driver, I'm in command. Front passengers play with anything on the dhasboard, I whack them. The information is for ME, not them. Back in the 90's, this was common in many vehicles for that same reason.... The driver is in control. One that I enjoyed the most was from a 98 Mark8 I had. It was one of the most driver canted center consoles I've seen. Probe was up there as well as the Aurora.

In comes late 90's, 2000. Navigation system are becoming more common. Some drivers prefer the passenger to enter all the information, and play with the Navi system, as they driver. Giving them a break. If a driver canted center console were implemented, it would be a bit harder for that passenger to utilize it comfortably.

Hence, you will be seeing many of those center canted type of consoles. Makes it much easier for either front seat occupant to deal with the controls. Now pertaining to the Oddysey and new Sienna consoles, I believe they are slanted a bit TOO upwards. I've already had a chance to play with both of their layout, and found it very uncomfortable. I'm one that rest my fingers at the bottom of the radio, while one finger goes thru all the stations. And having my arm held up there while searching thru all stations, is quite annoying as well as tiring.

J.Mays (former designer for VW/Audi) is designing many of the upcoming Ford interiors in that same way. It's very eelegantly neutral, fine touches thru-out, as well as a very symetrical type of button layout. Much more ergonomically correct. And the actions, and touch of the buttons will be a atep up from what we are currently used to with current Fords.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I guess I missed your note about the center stack. Maybe one of the reasons they have made it the way they have is many of the cars now have dual controls so the passenger needs access to the temp/fan controls without asking the driver to change them.
    I read about Myers moving to Ford. It can only mean good things to the interiors for ford. They are not all that bad now. Lord knows they are way ahead of GM. The new F-150 has a really nice interior to it. But anyway, looking forward to seeing the Freestar.
    Actually Ford interiors are seen as the best from the Big 3 automakers, and as a industry as a whole, it's pretty high up there. Toyota itself benchmarked the current F-150 interior, when they designed their Tundra and Sequoia.

Pretty soon we'll see even better interiors coming from Ford. A concentration of better materials, and more details will be implemented brandwise. Even I'm kinda shocked at the level of sophistication that will be implmented. This helps produce "perceived quality" which is helpful to any brand.
    BTW something I forgot to mention, next generation Freestar will be based on the upcoming Futura, current Mazda6, platform. Expected around 2006-2007. AWD will be a possibility based upon current market trends at that time.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, I was shocked at the design, quality and sophistication in this new Navigator interior, and I love the duplication in the Aviator. Some people seem turned off by the "twins" design, but it really works for me. My friend has the AV, I have the NAV, and I plan at this point, to get my wife an AV when her lease is up next year. Having the his & hers in the garage appeals to us.
    This NAV interior is awesome. Clients who ride with me are very impressed with it. It's like nothing else out there and is a huge improvement over the F-150 derived interior my last NAV had, and I think, a huge improvement over the Chevy truck interior in the Escalade. Not that the Escalade isn't nice, it is nice, but doesn't take your breath away like the inside of the NAV does. I do wish they would diversify the color choices just a little. The tan is a little too light, the gray is a little too black.....for my taste anyway. Something in the middle would be nice.

If Ford Interiors continue in that manner, and don't fall prey to the accounting dept., things should go well for them....
    Well, I was shocked at the design, quality and sophistication in this new Navigator interior, and I love the duplication in the Aviator. Some people seem turned off by the "twins" design, but it really works for me. My friend has the AV, I have the NAV, and I plan at this point, to get my wife an AV when her lease is up next year. Having the his & hers in the garage appeals to us.
    This NAV interior is awesome. Clients who ride with me are very impressed with it. It's like nothing else out there and is a huge improvement over the F-150 derived interior my last NAV had, and I think, a huge improvement over the Chevy truck interior in the Escalade. Not that the Escalade isn't nice, it is nice, but doesn't take your breath away like the inside of the NAV does. I do wish they would diversify the color choices just a little. The tan is a little too light, the gray is a little too black.....for my taste anyway. Something in the middle would be nice.

If Ford Interiors continue in that manner, and don't fall prey to the accounting dept., things should go well for them....
    Yes interiors will be getting quite some attention. That's the next trend for automakers, to improve their interiors. They have seen that it has worked well for VW which rates high on "perceived quality" while it's FAR from that factor. J.Mays has had much control of the styling, and from now on, all new Ford vehicles will feature much better improved materials across the line.

Ironically, it doesn't take much investment to improve the quality of interior materials. From survey's taken, the majority of those polled stated they would rather PAY more, for a better interior. A hundred dollars here and there, sure go a long way on a new interior.

Ford has admitted that their current Expy/Navi, and future F-150 will NOT much THAT much of a profit as they originally did, because there's more investment paid to interiors, and other engineering factors.
    Update: Job1 date has been given for the Freestar, August 25th at the Oakville assembly plant.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I think Ford interiors are better than Honda, GM, Daimler Chrysler, Nissan, and Toyota. My order of interior quality is:
    Ford, Toyota, DC, Nissan, Honda, GM. I have doubt anyone agrees with this. I hope the Freestar has more wood trim and nicer leather than the Windstar and has vinyl instead of cloth standard. I also hope it has all of the following:
    fold-flat split 3rd row
    power liftgate and doors
    double sunshade
    sideways moving second row
    front and back moving second row
    side power windows in second row
    Yes, Sort of.
    Yes.
    No.
    Not really.
    Sort of.
    No, MPV/Sienna only have that feature.

Cloth is standard, vinyl would be deemed inappropiate.
    I think vinyl looks and feels better than cloth. It is very similar to leather IMO. I hate cloth, it is uncomfortable and looks bad. I wish more cars had vinyl. The only vinyl cars I know of are the F150 and Ranger. Please mention any more, anyone who knows of any vehicle sold in the U.S. that has vinyl available. I guess I won't be considering a Freestar as it lacks many of my features. Sad that Ford couldn't put them in. If only they had worked harder to make a class-leading minivan. Oh, well. Also, will it have AWD (another of my necessary features)? I guess I'm gonna go for a '04 Sienna Limited when they get Limiteds in stock. My second choice would be an MPV and third a Town and Country.
    Try sitting in vinyl, when your living in FL, CA, NV, NM, AZ, etc. The closest you come to vinyl, might be if you order the optional leather package, usually the 3rd row seat is made of vinyl. Or even trickier as many manufacturer's do, is use vinyl on the parts that do not touch your body, while keepnig the leather on the parts of the seat your hands/body are liable on touching.

Vinyl is not favored because of it's ability to crack, unable to breathe like leather, and prone to ripping easily. Cloth is much easier to combat all these, as well as not burning your butt.

The Freestar will not have AWD, it's platform is not engineered for that. Next generation of Ford minivans, will have that. Try the Sienna, it has that and all the above.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    libertycat-

What Fords have you been sitting in? I looked at a 2003 Windstar LX recently, and the interior quality was AWFUL. It was noticeably worse than that of our 1995 Windstar GL. The seat fabric was thin and poorly stitched, the carpet was a joke, and the plastics were cheap and badly assembled. The only part I liked was the steering wheel. I can't believe how much cost cutting they have done since 1995 -- our interior looks much better and has held up very well.

-Andrew L
    are the Fords I've sat in. The fabric would be better if you looked at one with leather. ANT, how can u work for Ford and then say "Try the Sienna"? LOL! I think cloth looks and feels ugly and if I wanted a fairly cheap car I would be forced to get an F150 or Ranger with vinyl. Does anyone know of any other cars/trucks with vinyl? If not, I'd be forced to always buy cars equipped with leather as I can't stand cloth.
    "ANT, how can u work for Ford and then say "Try the Sienna"?"

That was quite slick there (reverting to a question you previously asked, thinking I would reveal details). (psych minor here) :-)

I'm not going to lie, or mislead someone to manipulate their deicision. I present the facts/news, and let the people make up their own mind. Or offer a different view (even though I might agree with theirs) but to make the person think on a broader spectrum.

You give me a list of needs (as you mentioned), I'll direct you to the item that fits it best, I'm just realistic about that, even if it pertains to other manufacturer's. I will give credit, where credit is due when it deals with vehicles outside Ford, just like I'll admit Ford's past errors, current errors, and future errors, make no mistake about it.
    BMW has vinyl seats, they call it leatherette. My Sable premium has leather seat surfaces but anything else is vinyl.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    libertycat-

The thing with cloth these days is that so many manufacturers have switched to cheap, thin, vomit-colored beige stuff. I tested a bunch of new minivans recently when my parents were thinking about replacing our Windstar (they decided against it) and I'd say that my 1986 Pontiac has better cloth than all of them!

-Andrew L
    That's the keyword... Leather "seating surfaces"... as in, the panels that might touch your body. Sometimes the matching between vinyl and leather are done so well, that the only real way of noticing might be after 5-7 years of ownership where the crack in the leather will show up.

I wish in my vehicle leather wouldn't have been standard. in Fl weather, aside from sticking to it, don't dare sit on it with shorts on. Hence, I bought car seat covers to avoid this issue.
    I didn't know leatherette=vinyl and that the Sable has no cloth.
    Should be on my profile, 2000 LS V8, 92K miles so far.
    forgot to look there, LOL! Plus some people don't update their profiles and therefore have the wrong car on it.
    No Mercury Sable GS has a cloth (and it looks cheap). I meant that just recently I discovered that in my Sable only seating surfaces are made from real leather. Back of seat and etc are made of vinyl or letherette or whatever you call it, but it is not real leather. It is hard to say though the difference. Many driver probably will never discover that - color and pattern much perfectly.

Yeah recenly even hard plastic on some cars really look like leather untill you touch it. I agree modern cloth sucks.
    is leather, the rest is vinyl, hence the term leather-trimmed interior.
    Nice discussion regarding seating surfaces. This forum is for the Freestar and that is a family unit by design. When we re-focus to this vehicle use, the family folks will probably agree the cloth type stuff is the best for families with young kids. Leather is a nice upgrade if you are using the van to haul real estate buyers. My 3 company Windstars have had cloth seats and they work fine and are comfortable. My wife has a '96 Windstar with cloth seats. My three kid's debris have taken their toll on the seats, but they still cleans up good, probably better than leather or euro vinyl.

We will be ordering a new Freestar or Monterey as soon as they will take our money and since our kids are still young (7, 7 & 3) cloth seats will be on the order.

Ford has some info for the Freestar and Monterey on their fleet site, www.fleet.ford.com. They are more forthcoming with info on the Monterey, you can even download a brochure.
    Yes, but the brochure they display is just the phamplet type that you might find at the auto show. Not much info on it, but enough to give an indication of what's to come.

I prefer cloth seats because they are much easier to clean up, you can even steam them if need be to get the grim and dirt out of it. And if crayons melt on it (as some parents use their vehicles as a traveling playpen) it's much easier to get off cloth over leather. And depending on the pattern of the cloth, it can hide any imperfections as well.
    People talk about oil, polish, etc. on chat boards. There is no reason to create an individual discussion on seating surfaces when we are talking about what the Freestar/Monterey should have (I know it will have cloth and leather but why not talk about what it SHOULD have?). Actually, I think leather/vinyl is easier to clean up because you can wet it and dry it off easier than cloth. Plus IMO they look better, feel better, and make an interior look more luxurious. A huge disadvantage of vinyl/leather is that they get REALLY hot easily. But the other advantages are worth it to me.
    I agree that Shoulds are nice things to talk about and we are all entitled to our opinions (and we can chuckle to ourselves about other's opinions). Euro vinyl is nice, I agree to that as well and I liked it in my old VW Rabbit. But when you have kids and your kids grind fluroscent orange Cheetos into the seats, cloth is easier to deal with as compared to perforated vinyl or leather.

Now you want to talk about "Shoulds", well, in the family vans I would like to see a double radio tuner. All speakers on one tuner or turn on the second tuner and it goes just to the back where the convenient headphone jacks and controls "Should" be located for the kids, with Mom and Dad listening to the front speakers. We are not big fans of the car video systems; kids watch enough TV at home and we want ours to look out the window, which is a little better for their stomachs.

The other "should" that I would like to see is the return of the "self-leveling" air suspension that was an option on my '96 Windstar with the trailer package. No matter how much I piled into that box, it always righted itself to level. My '02 company Windstar has commercial springs installed and it rides too high when it is empty and occasionally gets blown around on the road.
    Now that you mentioned "perforated" vinyl or leather, I'm curious. Would vinyl or leather that is not perforated work for you (a lot isn't)? Also, you keep saying Euro vinyl. Ford trucks have vinyl also (I like it fine, but I'm sure many (most likely including you) think it is cheap). Also, do you think vinyl, leather, or cloth looks best? What is your second favorite. My order is:leather, vinyl, cloth. Very cool idea about looking out the window being better for stomachs :)!!! I don't like these systems much either. I TOTALLY agree Odyssey and he was listening to some kid music that you could tell he and his wife didn't like to please his kids.
    go to the "2005 Chevrolet Venture/Pontiac Montana/Saturn Relay/Buick minivan" discussion. The Buick will compete with the Monterey and the others will tackle the Freestar with the Relay and Venture being slightly cheaper than the Montana.
    I have had vehicles with non-perf vinyl, like late '60s-'80s Fords. I have also driven lots of rentals and heavy stuff as well. In some instances, vinyl is the cleanup choice; like my old dune buggy or the wreckers and semis that I have driven. My '78 VW had nice vinyl, but I didn't have kids then.

My current job has me in and out of a Windstar about 3 days a week covering 800-1000 miles in that interval covering central Calif. Vinyl just heats up too much in our area. I would like to have a car with leather seats like my old '60 Lincoln Mk V, but it is not practical with kids. I once drove a Crown Bus with a perforated leather seat and it made you sweat as well. As far as you request for choices, I probably would go with leather first, cloth second and vinyl last. If I add kids to the equation, then the leather moves to the end of the line. Once my kids get past about 10, then I might reconsider leather. Right now, cloth is the overall choice at our house. I would have a real problem with leather seats if the kid's carseat wore a hole through the hide. Maybe in a few years......
    I have leather, and have had leather on many vehicles in the past. Unfortunatly, they were standard, if I could I would have made them cloth. Luckily there's seat covers, and I'll use that instead. BUT that's just my experience, since I do not wish to burn my buns in the FL heat :-)
    ...is available at www.media.ford.com for both, Freestar & Monterey.
    The Air Conditioned seats on my Navigator are just lovely in the desert heat. The longer the trip, the cooler your butt and back get. No sweating...... I'm very happy with them, and the leather seating.
    Yap, it's important in these hot days, if you got leather. I would say even more important than heated seats in winter (when you wear long pants anyway).
    For Freestar:
    http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm?vehicle_id=939

For Monterey:
    http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm?vehicle_id=940

I see that the new 4.2L engine will have 202 hp (one more than estimated) and 265 lb-ft of torque (5 more than estimated).

The new engines will also be much quieter. Do you think Ford can match a Honda or Toyota engine in terms of quietness?
    Not these engines, these are the Essex engines, I dislike. (I mentioned this on another Freestar/Monterrey thread). They have definatly been improved, and the (farm machinary sound) of the current 3.8L (now 3.9L) has been muted quite a bit. The days on this engines are numbers, thank god....
    You know though, the 4.0L SOHC in my Mountaineer is as quiet and smooth as any Honda engine I've had, and frankly so are the 4.6L and 5.4L. The 5.4L has just a tad more NVH, that means you can barely tell they are running. But the other two are like butter. And the 3.9 V-8 in the Lincoln LS you can put a glass of water on when running and can't see a ripple. So, yes Ford can build engines as quiet and smooth as Honda. Just not the 4.2L, which is an old, but updated engine.
    Job1 For Freestar is August 25th, and they should be shipped to dealers mid September, expect to see them at the dealer's lots at that time.
    So, when does the Colony Park (Mercury twin) hit the dirt, ANT? (That's the Monterey, right?)My L/M dealer will be angry if I replace my Villager with a Freestar from the dealer across the street.
    No official date has yet been released internally mainly because production of the Freestar will take presedence, once dealer's are stocked well from the Freestar, then the Monterrey production will begin. My quesstimate, look for Jan-March of next year. Obviously I'll post info as I receive it.