Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey

Comments

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    libertycat-

What Fords have you been sitting in? I looked at a 2003 Windstar LX recently, and the interior quality was AWFUL. It was noticeably worse than that of our 1995 Windstar GL. The seat fabric was thin and poorly stitched, the carpet was a joke, and the plastics were cheap and badly assembled. The only part I liked was the steering wheel. I can't believe how much cost cutting they have done since 1995 -- our interior looks much better and has held up very well.

-Andrew L
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    are the Fords I've sat in. The fabric would be better if you looked at one with leather. ANT, how can u work for Ford and then say "Try the Sienna"? LOL! I think cloth looks and feels ugly and if I wanted a fairly cheap car I would be forced to get an F150 or Ranger with vinyl. Does anyone know of any other cars/trucks with vinyl? If not, I'd be forced to always buy cars equipped with leather as I can't stand cloth.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "ANT, how can u work for Ford and then say "Try the Sienna"?"

That was quite slick there (reverting to a question you previously asked, thinking I would reveal details). (psych minor here) :-)

I'm not going to lie, or mislead someone to manipulate their deicision. I present the facts/news, and let the people make up their own mind. Or offer a different view (even though I might agree with theirs) but to make the person think on a broader spectrum.

You give me a list of needs (as you mentioned), I'll direct you to the item that fits it best, I'm just realistic about that, even if it pertains to other manufacturer's. I will give credit, where credit is due when it deals with vehicles outside Ford, just like I'll admit Ford's past errors, current errors, and future errors, make no mistake about it.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    BMW has vinyl seats, they call it leatherette. My Sable premium has leather seat surfaces but anything else is vinyl.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    libertycat-

The thing with cloth these days is that so many manufacturers have switched to cheap, thin, vomit-colored beige stuff. I tested a bunch of new minivans recently when my parents were thinking about replacing our Windstar (they decided against it) and I'd say that my 1986 Pontiac has better cloth than all of them!

-Andrew L
    That's the keyword... Leather "seating surfaces"... as in, the panels that might touch your body. Sometimes the matching between vinyl and leather are done so well, that the only real way of noticing might be after 5-7 years of ownership where the crack in the leather will show up.

I wish in my vehicle leather wouldn't have been standard. in Fl weather, aside from sticking to it, don't dare sit on it with shorts on. Hence, I bought car seat covers to avoid this issue.
    I didn't know leatherette=vinyl and that the Sable has no cloth.
    Should be on my profile, 2000 LS V8, 92K miles so far.
    forgot to look there, LOL! Plus some people don't update their profiles and therefore have the wrong car on it.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    No Mercury Sable GS has a cloth (and it looks cheap). I meant that just recently I discovered that in my Sable only seating surfaces are made from real leather. Back of seat and etc are made of vinyl or letherette or whatever you call it, but it is not real leather. It is hard to say though the difference. Many driver probably will never discover that - color and pattern much perfectly.

Yeah recenly even hard plastic on some cars really look like leather untill you touch it. I agree modern cloth sucks.
    is leather, the rest is vinyl, hence the term leather-trimmed interior.
  • trainboytrainboy Posts: 66
    Nice discussion regarding seating surfaces. This forum is for the Freestar and that is a family unit by design. When we re-focus to this vehicle use, the family folks will probably agree the cloth type stuff is the best for families with young kids. Leather is a nice upgrade if you are using the van to haul real estate buyers. My 3 company Windstars have had cloth seats and they work fine and are comfortable. My wife has a '96 Windstar with cloth seats. My three kid's debris have taken their toll on the seats, but they still cleans up good, probably better than leather or euro vinyl.

We will be ordering a new Freestar or Monterey as soon as they will take our money and since our kids are still young (7, 7 & 3) cloth seats will be on the order.

Ford has some info for the Freestar and Monterey on their fleet site, www.fleet.ford.com. They are more forthcoming with info on the Monterey, you can even download a brochure.
    Yes, but the brochure they display is just the phamplet type that you might find at the auto show. Not much info on it, but enough to give an indication of what's to come.

I prefer cloth seats because they are much easier to clean up, you can even steam them if need be to get the grim and dirt out of it. And if crayons melt on it (as some parents use their vehicles as a traveling playpen) it's much easier to get off cloth over leather. And depending on the pattern of the cloth, it can hide any imperfections as well.
    People talk about oil, polish, etc. on chat boards. There is no reason to create an individual discussion on seating surfaces when we are talking about what the Freestar/Monterey should have (I know it will have cloth and leather but why not talk about what it SHOULD have?). Actually, I think leather/vinyl is easier to clean up because you can wet it and dry it off easier than cloth. Plus IMO they look better, feel better, and make an interior look more luxurious. A huge disadvantage of vinyl/leather is that they get REALLY hot easily. But the other advantages are worth it to me.
    I agree that Shoulds are nice things to talk about and we are all entitled to our opinions (and we can chuckle to ourselves about other's opinions). Euro vinyl is nice, I agree to that as well and I liked it in my old VW Rabbit. But when you have kids and your kids grind fluroscent orange Cheetos into the seats, cloth is easier to deal with as compared to perforated vinyl or leather.

Now you want to talk about "Shoulds", well, in the family vans I would like to see a double radio tuner. All speakers on one tuner or turn on the second tuner and it goes just to the back where the convenient headphone jacks and controls "Should" be located for the kids, with Mom and Dad listening to the front speakers. We are not big fans of the car video systems; kids watch enough TV at home and we want ours to look out the window, which is a little better for their stomachs.

The other "should" that I would like to see is the return of the "self-leveling" air suspension that was an option on my '96 Windstar with the trailer package. No matter how much I piled into that box, it always righted itself to level. My '02 company Windstar has commercial springs installed and it rides too high when it is empty and occasionally gets blown around on the road.
    Now that you mentioned "perforated" vinyl or leather, I'm curious. Would vinyl or leather that is not perforated work for you (a lot isn't)? Also, you keep saying Euro vinyl. Ford trucks have vinyl also (I like it fine, but I'm sure many (most likely including you) think it is cheap). Also, do you think vinyl, leather, or cloth looks best? What is your second favorite. My order is:leather, vinyl, cloth. Very cool idea about looking out the window being better for stomachs :)!!! I don't like these systems much either. I TOTALLY agree Odyssey and he was listening to some kid music that you could tell he and his wife didn't like to please his kids.
    go to the "2005 Chevrolet Venture/Pontiac Montana/Saturn Relay/Buick minivan" discussion. The Buick will compete with the Monterey and the others will tackle the Freestar with the Relay and Venture being slightly cheaper than the Montana.
    I have had vehicles with non-perf vinyl, like late '60s-'80s Fords. I have also driven lots of rentals and heavy stuff as well. In some instances, vinyl is the cleanup choice; like my old dune buggy or the wreckers and semis that I have driven. My '78 VW had nice vinyl, but I didn't have kids then.

My current job has me in and out of a Windstar about 3 days a week covering 800-1000 miles in that interval covering central Calif. Vinyl just heats up too much in our area. I would like to have a car with leather seats like my old '60 Lincoln Mk V, but it is not practical with kids. I once drove a Crown Bus with a perforated leather seat and it made you sweat as well. As far as you request for choices, I probably would go with leather first, cloth second and vinyl last. If I add kids to the equation, then the leather moves to the end of the line. Once my kids get past about 10, then I might reconsider leather. Right now, cloth is the overall choice at our house. I would have a real problem with leather seats if the kid's carseat wore a hole through the hide. Maybe in a few years......