Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,747
    edited March 2011
    Your post was not condescending in the least...you just pointed out some simple facts of life & the poster didn't like what he heard. But yes, it's a two way street with supply & demand...period! Your advice on waiting till things get back to normal was sound advice actually. His question about his '08 TSX made me feel like he wanted to make a "killing" on his trade but I could be wrong. But, "could he get a better price" just doesn't sound right either!

Folks, Japan had a "natural disaster" so lets not think only about the "$" here...people have been killed and others have had their lives permanently changed...let's keep this in mind instead of "wanting to get the best deal"...o k? Time to act like caring human beings here!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,039
    Tried to help with some common sense. Failed. Sorry.
  • irvinecairvineca Posts: 2
    Typo, I did the negotiation on the phone. I didn't do the test drive and didn't even look at the car in person.

There are not many Acura dealers in Orange county and I feel most of these dealers who would offer that price. That's the reason I didn't post them. I'm more than happy to give the names of dealers by email.
  • wbarmorewbarmore Posts: 10
    edited March 2011
    Well, so much for common sense. I just drove in from San Antonio after leasing an Acura for another three years. I was given the option of leasing a 2011 TSX with tech for well under $300 OTD after credit for returning my '08 lease. My current payments were $374 on an '08 without tech. Maybe I was paying too much.

Part of the reason I was given the above price was that I turned in my '08 TSX lease to them which they valued at more than $1600 as a trade-in. The Austin dealer said they couldn't possibly do better than $456 on a 2010 and that my lease return had absolutely no value because of the "unknowns of the situation in Japan." Tell me that's not profiteering.

Cost of living is higher in San Antonio than Austin, but does that justify a premium of over 5K over the three-year lease period for a 2010 as opposed to what I was quoted for a 2011? I think not. The San Antonio salesman said that they were having to look at the realities of what the Japanese disaster was going to mean for them, but he just shook his head when I told him about the previous quote.

I ended up leaving with a TL with tech for under $350 OTD after trade-in allowance for a car with an MSRP pushing 39K. I love my TSX and really wanted another one, but I couldn't pass up that deal on a lease. There's a lot to read about opinions on the 2011 TL, but for $347 with nothing down, I was willing to give it a try.

The above is the kind of help I'm looking for on the Edmunds forums--not a sophomoric lesson in economics. There's so much to learn on Edmunds about what dealers know that we don't. I'm thankful for that. One of the things I learned is that some dealers will use a human tragedy to unreasonably, IMO, increase their profit margin. I hope this post was helpful to some. For those it wasn't--Whatever. BTW, the San Antonio dealer was Nathan Gunn Acura.
    Wasn't trying to make a "killing," at all. I just was asking for help on how to get a fair deal. Read my above posts. I think both the salesman and I were very happy with where we ended up. If there's a way to post a private message, let me know, or actually, I think he would be happy to have it posted here. I'd be happy to give you his contact info and you can ask him yourself. I think both of us were happy with the process and neither felt like the other was being taken advantage of. I'd like to think this is not out of the ordinary in the business of car leasing and purchasing.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,904
    That's actually part of being a member here on TH. This way someone in your area can try and get the same deal you did. It is part of the research process & the power of edmunds. You CAN post the dealership name, but CANNOT post the name of the salesperson you dealt with.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Nice deal. You'll be happy with the TL. Did you get it with the TECH pkg? That's a fantastic price on a car with MSRP in the upper $30K range.

That's also the nice thing about leasing. Sometimes the deal on a more expensive car is just too good to pass up, especially for 3 years. As long as you stay within the mileage parameters, then leasing is smart.

Good luck.

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,039
    --not a sophomoric lesson in economics

Evidenced by your sophomoric question "is this legit", I admit I gave a fairly sophomoric answer. It's blatantly obvious that Acura dealers immediatley asking full MSRP because of the disaster is ridiculous. Based on that, I thought I was giving a helpful answer. It wasn't what you were looking for and I said I was sorry. You don't have to beat it into the ground unless you wish to carry a chip on your shoulder.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,571
    Let's just move on...

New members have to get used to us, and regular members have to remember that not everyone has been here, forever..

People come to Edmunds because we are known for being friendly!

So, congrats on the new TSX! And, nyccarguy? Being happy with your deal, does not make it a good one... lol.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Way back in 2007, my wife and I were looking to lease a car for us, our son, & all the stuff that babies come with. Her 2000 Mazda Protege & my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH just wouldn't cut the mustard. Obviously since she was going to be doing most of the baby driving, we'd ditch her ride.

We were looking for something with a big back seat to accomodate a rear facing car seat (without the front passenger's knees on the dash), a large trunk or cargo area (For the stroller, diaper bag, pack n' play...), automatic, FWD or 4/AWD, & a cheap payment.

leasing appealed to us because in 3 years, when the lease was up, we might need a bigger vehicle if our family expanded (which it did, 2 1/2 years later).

The car we had out hearts set on was a VW Passat Wagon. I sent an email out to a few dealers in my area & 1 had the exact car & color combo we were looking for. The sales woman even sent via email all the lease parameters I requested & not just an autoreply. She said to please stop by or call her to fill out a credit app just so we could "lock in" the June lease rates because VW's "program" for the month pushed leasing.

I didn't get the email until after they closed on Saturday. So Monday when we go and test drive the car, our saleswoman sits us down and says the new numbers just came across her desk & we're not going to like them. The price she quoted me over email was I think $312/month for 36 months with $0 Cap Cost Reduction & Taxes included. The new payment (because they were pushing cheap financing over leasing during the current month) was now somewhere around $440 per month which I didn't think was a "good deal" for a $28K Passat Wagon.

We ended up leasing a 2007 BMW X3 with Metallic Paint, Heated Front Seats, & rear privacy glass for $471.67/ month for 3 years & 15K miles per year. We LOVED every second of that truck & I regret NOT buying it out at the end of the lease.

What does this have to do with the Acura TSX you ask? We ended up driving the X3 SO MUCH that when cash 4 clunkers rolled around, it was well worth it to take advantage of the $3500 rebate I got (from my 1990 BMW 325i that barely ran) + I'd have rather spent money on a new car rather than pay BMWFS the whatever overmileage charges I would accure. So I bought the TSX.

very funny my friend!

edited March 2011
    Thanks, nycdarguy. I did get the tech package. Once I had popped in a couple of my favorites cds, I had the nicest 90 mile trip home that it's possible to have on I35.

And you're right about the lease. My intention originally was to go with a TSX tech either as a buy or a lease. All TSXes in exterior colors I was interested in had ebony interiors, and not having a garage I didn't want the sun beating down on a car with a dark interior. There was a TL with a color combination I liked. I would never have bought a gas thirsty V6 with the accompanying MSRP, but with the lease deal, I will be a happy driver for three years. My monthly lease payments are less than those on my previous TSX base lease.

The lease deals on the TSX were also good. I believe the base model would have been $277 OTD with nothing down except the car I drove in. The tech package was only $10 more per month--$360 over the term of the lease. That surprised both me and the salesman.

The dealership was obviously ready to move some cars last night honoring prices given a week ago, no haggling at all.
  • I visited an Acura dealership last month and had a good experience with the sales man. I decided the Acura was expensive, so I went to Honda, Toyota, VW, and Ford. I really liked the Ford Fusion and TSX. I was at Ford after I test drove a Fusion looking at the financing numbers. I received an email from the sales man at Acura offering me a good deal. He said it is the end of the month and it was their last 2010 new TSX. He could give it to me for $26,000 - he gave it to me for $28,500 Out the door. He was really friendly. He stayed 2 hours past closing explaining to me all of the car's features and answering so many questions. What a nice experience; I love my new car & the sales man was fantastic. I am in Fort Lauderdale by the way. I am sharing my experience because I have really appreciated the forums and hopefully someone will find this useful.
    awesome! Enjoy your TSX!

• I'm in Houston and wondering if anyone is getting a better deal than I am anywhere else in TX.

The salesman quoted me at $28,900 (before 6.25% tax, title, etc fees). No extra maintenance package offered. I thought this was a great deal until I looked on here and saw what some people were getting (in the realm of 27K).

Any better offers out there?
  • texastsxtexastsx Posts: 9
    edited April 2011
    I bought my car in DFW and I would suggest you do the same. I called every dealer in Texas because I was willing to drive a little to save a few hundred. All of the Houston dealers said they would not beat the Dallas prices. Every single one would not even entertain the idea of matching a price from Dallas (which is ridiculous, when you're dealing, you're competing against everyone else in the state).

I know one dealership in Dallas will match anything and beat it by at least $100 but just make sure you have out the door prices in writing before you make the trek (they will try to evade this request but just keep asking). I was living in Houston at the time and came all the way to Dallas to buy this car just to be given the run around at one of the dealerships. I went to another DFW dealer the next morning and they beat the heck out of the price in Houston right then and there.

Also, just for reference, I bought my 2010 TSX for $27,500 out the door. It was the end of 2010 and they had a rebate or two and a tsunami/earthquake hadn't destroyed the acura plant, but the closest I got to that in Houston was around $28250 if my memory serves me correct.

I almost didn't respond to the post because of your username...but I'm not an aggie and therefore not ridiculous. wreck em.

Best of luck
  • newcar53newcar53 Posts: 1
    Just paid 26000 + tax + tags and all that jazz for a 2011 Acura TSX .. I thought this was an amazingg deal considering the 2010's I saw out there were similarly priced. It was end of the month thus more room to negotiate. I would def. recommend purchasing a car on the last day of the month.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    The Honda plant that makes the TSX was not destroyed - if a dealer is using that as an excuse to raise prices walk away.
  • This is an outstanding deal... could you provide the name of the dealership and location?
  • zenfloaterzenfloater Posts: 2
    So I've been reading these forums for quite a while and am finally jumping into the TSX family.
    I think I decided at the wrong time to purchase a TSX because every dealer is giving me the same story. Supplies are low and they're not expecting anything until August.

Here is what I've been offered after much negotiation:

Base TSX at the Dealer invoice price of $28,795.00 plus tax, title, tag and a dealer fee of $599.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord I'm looking to trade in with 29,900 miles on it. The trade in value they are giving me is $13,800 and my owed on the car is $11,900 which leaves me with about $2K in equity on the car. This sounded like a good deal but after doing a quick search on KBB and Edmunds, this car can get up to $15K to $16K, is that even realistic? it is in Excellent condition, no accidents.

With the $2K in trade in difference, does this make the deal worth it? Do you think I can get more for the Accord elsewhere? Is it worth it to even go to a Carmax to get a valuation for the car or are the trade in values on KBB inflated a bit?

Overall .. does this sound like a good deal right now? There are no dealer incentives and really no discounts other than the fact that they seem to be giving me a good trade in value on the car.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
    The lack of supply will keep prices high. If you want a deal you won't get one for several months. Also, if you want a better deal on your Accord you'll have to go private party - Craigslist. An Accord like that will be popular there.
    So you are basically buying the car for invoice plus $599 + tax. The $599 dealer fee is pure profit.

If they are offering you more than you owe on your accord then consider yourself ahead of the game.

To get a realistic number as to what your Accord is worth, go to REAL WORLD TRADE IN VALUES thread here on Town Hall. Depending on what they say, you might be able to squeeze a couple hundred more out of the Acura dealer.

When I bought our 2010 TSX w/ TECH package, the best deal I was able to get was $1000 off MSRP. I bought my car on the last day of Cash 4 Clunkers (August 2009), the 2010s had only been out for about 2 weeks, and there were no 2009 leftovers that I liked. I've got a pretty keen eye on the market for Hondas & Acuras in my area & know that they pretty much sell for invoice. I couldn't believe I was going to pay only $1000 under sticker for a car that usually sells for invoice. 1 year & 9 months later it doesn't make a difference to me what I paid for the car. It is fantastic & I enjoy it.

• Did they stop production of the TSX in Japan until further notice? I was just told this by a salesman at an Acura dealership in NW Chicago. Believe he is prepping me for a highball price quote.
    Exactly - if they are lying to you about that what else are they lying about? Production has slowed, not stopped - but it has had the same effect - lack of enough units and price increases. If you want a better price you'll need to wait till about August.
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    edited May 2011
    same here. i saw prices that people paid on this forum and it seemed like 26-27k was reasonable buy my dealer was invoicing at 28,644 TSX Base said "The supply of TSX units is very limited to the the natural disaster in Japan. Acura no longer offers the factory-to-dealer incentive money that was on the table earlier this year."

I'm gonna call BS and buy a VW CC.
  • kwma3kwma3 Posts: 11
    I have been quoted for $29,000 in the bay area. No way I am going to buy it for this price. They can keep it in the lot.
  • sunnyfl1sunnyfl1 Posts: 19
    Don't trade.

You can get at least 15K for your Honda on the outside.
  • zenfloaterzenfloater Posts: 2
    I actually think I got a good deal and pulled the trigger on this one.
    They ended up giving me $15K for my Accord which was fantastic as I went to a Honda dealer and they couldn't come close to that as a trade-in. With a pay-off on the lease of $11,900, I was ahead $3,100 on the trade-in alone. If I turned in my Accord lease, I would have to pay a disposal fee of $350 plus change the tires which would end up costing me quite a bit.

As far as the car is concerned, I got them down to $28,400 plus tax, tag and dealer fee of $599. They tinted the car, installed a backup camera (OEM rearview backup cam), 2 future details, 3 major services all included.

I think I did pretty good. If I waited until August I probably would not have got what I just got for the trade-in, even-though the price of the car itself would have been about $1K less. it all offsets I think.
  • uplandcauplandca Posts: 1
    Hi Irvineca,
    Can you please tell me what dealership in OC you purchased your TSX from.
    Thank you!