Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,741
    What if both drive wheels are sitting on ice or stuck in mud? ESC won't help you there.

I'm just saying that each technology has advantages over the other in certain circumstances.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    what does ASR stand for?

Anti-slip regulation, I believe. AKA - traction control.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Provides no benefit vs traction control when driving in a straight line.

The difference between stability control and traction control is that the former has a yaw sensor that measures cornering forces.

If the registered yaw does not equal predicted yaw, then the car recognizes an oversteer/understeer event and applies the appropriate wheel's brake and/or reduces throttle to compensate.

Advance Trac will be on the 2009 Milan.

Mark.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    If there is still a Milan and a Mercury in 2009.
    You didn't read the latest JDP Initial Quality Survey? Milan was FIRST for midsized sedan and MKZ was FIRST for premium entry sedan.

Nope it wasn't Toyota.

Mark.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    If there is still a Milan and a Mercury in 2009.

Let's all hope so. :)
    Well, you will still be able to get it fixed at a Ford dealer. If Mercury goes, it will be similar to when Oldsmobile went away years ago.
    They are redundant cars in a company that may not be able to afford that luxury much longer.
    Redundancy is quite affordable - dirt cheap, actually, when you consider the Fusion already did all the engineering work. Just think of the Milan as another trim package. Mercury exists right now to supply Lincoln dealers with lower end products to sell. There seems to be a concerted effort to merge the Lincoln/Mercury and Ford dealers and if that happens then the Lincoln dealer wouldn't need Ford clones anymore and could afford to make a few unique vehicles.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I've had both rear wheels on hard packed snow and ice and it might take a few seconds but so long as the car isn't pointed up a steep grade, it will gradually move. The traction control is very sensitive and even ice has "some" friction.. If it didn't you wouldn't even be able to walk on ice.

Not even 4-wheel drive will allow you to drive on snow and ice as if you are competing in the SummerNationals drag races.. Ya gotta take it slow and easy..

:D
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    The Mazda heritage has a lot to do with that..!

I had an MX-6 in the 90's and it was AWESOME... Reliable, comfortable, economical, and ZOOM, ZOOM ! Then for a while all their cars were too small for me..! Now they are making some slightly larger vehicles again and Fusion/Milan are slightly larger than the Mazda6.. Good news for me...

:)
  • theman123theman123 Posts: 170
    I can't Believe Import Trend said something nice about the fusion. So what do you all think of this ? I wonder if they have a kit for the 4 cylinder.

Steeda Ford Fusion
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    is also in this months Motor Trend! Great article. There is a guy on my daughters soccer team that did much of the same to a Milan premier V6. He does mods to cars/trucks for a living and has been doing this for over 25 years. the Milan was definitly quicker. I want to post this article in the midsize sedan room to show the non-blievers. I was ridiculed and laughed at by the Toyota/Honda fans. :mad:
    In Motor Trend they actually show the Fusion V6 to be .1 seconds faster than a Sonata V6! Even though the Sonata has 15 more HP! :shades:
  • theman123theman123 Posts: 170
    I found this article online

What do you think

Ford's comeback in 2008
    Encouraging, but in the end it's still just words.
    Ford has already started to pull out of its nose dive. With the excellent JD powers ratings, the Fusion/Milan continue to do well. The revamped Taurus. Ford is not dead. As much as the media like people to believe. Ford is doing well in Europe and Asia. Granted, I do think Ford forgot its North American market over the last 15 years or so. The Blue Oval will survive. It is going to be a different company however in the coming years. Leaner, meaner and profitable.
    The revamped Taurus not going to do anything. The improvements for 2008 are too late and partially negated by taking the styling from bad to worse with the "revamping."
    Fusion seems mostly OK. It would be better if it had top of the class fuel economy and it will be 2009 before it gets stability control.
    People look at fuel economy much more nowadays and with the Fusion, the best you can say about gas mileage is that the V6 mileage estimates are not that much worse than the 4 cylinder, so you might as well just get the V6 and use a bit more gas since neither does that great mpg wise.
    Maybe a hybrid Fusion with stability control, factory rebates and tax credits to offset the cost will be the car to buy in 2009 if they find a way to install the hybrid battery other than using half the usable trunk space like the Camry and Altima hybrids.
    Fusion Fuel econ is so close to the Accord and Camry that you would probably have to keep the car over 5 years before any fuel econ savings came close to equaling the greater cost of those cars vs. the Fusion.

Most people don't even know what stability control is.

Mark
    "The revamped Taurus not going to do anything"

How do you know this?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Totally uninspiring design bordering on plain ugly! Seriously, why can't Ford give us their European designs over here...some of their foreign models are just outstanding!!! Why can't we get any of them over here? Someone please explain this to me...Scape2?

The Sandman :)
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    According to specs new Ford Mondeo has almost the same size as new Taurus.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    Styling is purely subjective. Styling is also one aspect of a vehicle. The Taurus is rated all 5 star for safety, has a very good and reliable power train, comes in AWD too. Interior is very well laid out and materials are nice quality. I feel sales will pick up with the new 3.5 along with the face lift. As we know the Taurus is a renamed 500. The 500 is a solid and well build vehicle. Name recognition is what this car needed.
    It's more than just a renamed 500. There were over 500 changes that went into the Taurus refresh.
    There were over 500 changes that went into the Taurus refresh.

Please list them. (LOL)
    Obviously most of those changes are minor and unnoticeable but it's not quite fair to say they just changed the name.

They did something similar when the 03 LS came out with 500 changes and I think they actually listed all or most of them. I'll see if I can find that one.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    ...I thought this topic was about Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan? Hmm, whattaya know, it is!
    :P

Please post your comments about new Ford Taurus in What Are Your Thoughts on the Return of the Taurus/Sable?

Thanks!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Has this article been brought up?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19636744/

(I don't think I'm breaking forum guidelines by citing the link.)

In a nutshell, the article notes that the Fusion had a dismal sales month in June (12,435) and rather hints that the car is a semi-flop (but not an outright failure).

Now, I don't own a Fusion. But were I in the market for a new car, a Fusion is the FIRST car I'd buy. It's solid, well-built, gorgeous styling, roomy, etc etc. And it has a great price.

Why are so many quick to malign this car?? :confuse:
  • makigrlmakigrl Posts: 19
    With mercury they should bring back to cougar as a rwd sporty coupe that the american car companies have dumped over the past years. They need to give mercury an identity like sporty or luxurious. A mercury is not a Lincoln but should be more luxurious than a Ford. The fusion has a trip computer standard on higher end model that milan doesn't. Milan just has a few added features like the aluminum trim and wood trim are standard. Is the wood trim even real.

Ford takes the mercury version and just makes a few enhances not greatly separating it or giving it a different identity. I would look at the used car lists and they 1996-2000 sable was more upscale and considerably different that the tarus.
    Now most of the mercurys are just a little bit different that the same ford models but mostly the same.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The article says: With the Fusion, Ford is too closely copying a Camry.

Uhh...how exactly is it copying a Camry???

Did Ford expect or plan to sell 300,000 Fusions per year? Are they even capable of producing that many? I don't think so.

It isn't about the number of units it is about whether a profit is being made. I don't know how many units they need to sell to generate adequate profits and I am certain the writer of the article has no clue either.