Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    Steering isn't important. Thats a concept.
    If people really tested/compared the Fusion to the Camry, they would see the difference. Ignorance is bliss, I know. I feel it should be left to the experts who test cars, since emergency handling/steering is important, and the ability to point the vehicle where you want it is important.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    Anybody got a great deal on a new '09 Fusion yet? With the '10 model just coming out, and sales a little slow anyway, I'll bet the '09 Fusion can be had for a song. I'd personally rather have a 4cyl '10 Fusion, but if the '09 is cheap enough, by a few thousand, it would be worth the diff.
  • milkman1milkman1 Posts: 80
    In youngstown OH area they are being advertised at 35% off sticker. Advertised mind you. Of course this includes all the cash incentives rather than the 0% financing.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Just like the "buy American only" people are ignorant to the serinity that the Camry offers since they won't check out "one of those import cars."

I'm not a Camry fan, but what akirby is saying makes absolute sense to me. I'd wager a vast majority of people look for the same things in a dishwasher that they look for in a car. Plenty of room, some nice features, and something they can use daily without giving it a second thought. For those people, there's Camry.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    It's not so much whether they could feel a difference in the steering - I'm sure most could if you pointed it out to them. The question is "do they care?". And for the vast majority of buyers they simply don't care. If they did then the Camry wouldn't be the best selling midsize sedan. They care about cupholders, styling, fuel mileage, features and reliability far more than they care about handling or steering.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    I've been debating between the '09 and '10 models. The updates, especially the 2.5L and 6-speed manual, are tempting. But the '09 with Sport Appearance Package is the best looking of all- either year!

I've found an '09 SE 4-cylinder, Sport Appearance Package, Sun/SYNC Package and Audiophile, 5-speed manual, in Vapor Silver. Sticker is $23,015 and I've got them down to $17,500 OTD!!! Sales Tax isn't included in that because it's located in another state. I'd have to pay that when I register the car here in GA. But it's still an awesome deal at $5500 under sticker......right?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,671
    the SAP is a great deal, no matter what.
    overall, it's kind of an x-plan price, which is not bad. you could counter a bit lower. it can't hurt.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    My Fusion was purchased new. It is an 06 V6 SEL in silver frost. I have a sunroof and chrome package, black leather seats all options for Fusion in 06. the car now has about 43,000 miles. This car has been solid. All I have done is keep up the maintenance. At about 35,000 I had to put on new tires. Would I buy again? Yes. However, next time it is going to be a 4cyl SEL. Personally, I don't need a V6. I am reading the new 2.5 4cyl is a very good 4cyl. Smooth and refined.
    I paid $22,800 for a loaded 06 Fusion SEL v6. I got 0% financing also for 4 years. I thought I did really good. Sounds like prices have actually dropped on these vehicles. :cry:
    what tires did you have on your car and what did you replace them with?
    Tires I chose were a Bridgestone RE960AS pole position. I have had these tires since September. So far I am very happy with them. They handle and stick like glue and are pretty quiet at highway speeds. In light snow, 4" or less they are awesome. Rain, heavy rains are also a breeze. Made my Fusion feel like a new car!
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Tires I chose were a Bridgestone RE960AS pole position.

We have these on another vehicle, they handle very very well and seem to work well in light snow, as you mentioned. I haven't had a lot of rain experience with them yet. I hope they exhibit reasonable longevity,as they were a bit pricey, but so far the ride and handling make up for it. Its too bad the lower level Fusions take a grandma size tire (205/60R16) as opposed to the much much more common 205/55R16.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    The SAP is a great deal- $895 for 18" wheels, sport suspension, rear spoiler, unique dash trim and the red/black interior. I can't decide whether the cloth or leather looks best with the SAP, though....

I'm still debating what to do. Do I want a 4-cylinder/manual or a V6 automatic?

I stopped by a dealership yesterday and saw a V6 SEL with the "Blue Suede Package".....sharp-looking exterior, but then I opened the door! :surprise:
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I'm also a fan of the SAP. I was hoping for the 2010 SE 2.5/manual/SAP combo. I thought one of the early reviews of the new model indicated that it was available. But the Ford configurator doesn't mention it. So maybe I'll go shopping for an '09 2.3 instead. The "dated" interior doesn't bother me, but I would prefer the extra power and mpg of the 2.5/manual combo over the '09 2.3.
    Shouldn't be that hard to do it yourself.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Shouldn't be that hard to do it yourself.

Well, if I had a garage, and an engine hoist, and a good shop manual, and a donor vehicle, and. . .

Or perhaps you meant buying a 2010 model and adding the 18-inch wheel/tire combo and the suspension upgrades. :blush: That wouldn't be too difficult, it's true, but I would still miss out on the cool "black chrome" trim and the interior upgrades of the SAP.
    Yes, I meant adding the SAP bits to a 2010 model. You can do the black chrome trim and interior color pieces too - or get a shop to do it for you.
    3.0 V6 240Hp 222 Torque 7.9 sec
    3.5 V6 263Hp 249 Torque 7.0 sec

3.0 V6 221hp 205 Torque 7.5-8 sec depending on who did the test drive

How is the newer model with more power and torque slower than the old one in the 3.0 and the 3.5 cant even crack the 6's with 263Hp. A 08 Malibu V6 with 252Hp and weighs more can hit 0-60 in 6.6. Ford has to be underestimating the numbers. 0-60 in 9.5 sec with 2.54cyl 175Hp?
    why is this a big deal? do you really think anyone going to drag race a fusion?
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I agree. I ordered a 2010 Fusion SEL with a 2.5L for the fuel economy not the 0-60 or quarter mile numbers. Style and economy, the new Fusion has both.
  • Im not saying its a big deal, it just that a new model with more power should accelerate faster than the older model that is replaces. The current 211hp V6 fusion is more than enough power for me, its just when all the car magazines see those numbers on the 2010, they start to bash the car unnecessarily over minor numbers, just like they did with the current model 221Hp and the average clueless buyer that looks at those magazines all of a sudden thinks a accord or camry is so much faster due to those numbers.

As for 7.0 with 263HP ford can do better considering its there Sport model for the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Whose numbers are you quoting there? Unless they're by the same people, you really can't compare them.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Thegraduate is absolutely right. Different publications will get different results and manufacturer claims will be different as well. Ford's claims have been more conservative lately than the numbers usually recorded by the enthusiast magazines.

Car & Driver quoted a 6.8 second 0-60 for a 2008 Taurus with the 3.5. The Taurus is heavier than the Fusion and has a much less favorable (for acceleration) gear ratio than the Fusion Sport. Motor Trend quoted 7.2 for the heavier AWD version of the Taurus - again much heavier than the AWD Fusion. Based on those numbers, I would expect a Fusion Sport to be in the mid sixes using the same techniques.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    Just stopped by a local Ford/Mercury dealer to take a quick look at the new Fusion and Milan. Ford has been bombarding us with this 34mpg, best in class etc. I checked their website and it states 34mpg HWY for the I-4 auto.

The window sticker said 31MPG HWY. What's up with that? Also, I think eliminating the round clock from the Milan dash was a mistake. I think it added a classy look.
    Only the S model gets 34 mpg. The SE/SELs get 31 mpg.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    why is this a big deal? do you really think anyone going to drag race a fusion?

As someone who sells cars for a living, I would expect an understanding of selling the sizzle more than the steak. Bench racers everywhere are going to point out 0-60 times, horsepower ratings, etc.

Can anyone feel 1 tenth of a second or 3 horsepower? Probably not. Are the cars going to be rated with specs?

Also, why does a Fusion have to be inherently dull? If I wanted a dull sedan I would get a Camry. Ford will lose the race to the bottom. They need to make cars that are engaging to drive. The previous Fusion was a huge step in the right direction...I don't have enough seat time in the new one yet to know if the trend continues.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    Tks. Why is that? Is the S model some kind of "mpg special" ie low resistance tires. less weight, ???.
    a while back, i posted some bullet points from ford about how they got the 34 mpg rating.
    do you know if the numbers are for a fwd or awd model?
    i had an 89 sho, it's 'been there, done that', 20 years ago.
    jeez, i'm getting old. :)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Whose numbers are you quoting there? Unless they're by the same people, you really can't compare them.

The 2010 numbers quoted are from Ford themselves, and they are conservative to say the least...

I agree though. Wait until C&D or MT tests a 2010 for themselves, then compare them to the current car from the SAME source. I can almost guarantee they'll be different (and most likely lower).