Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,691
    Cars bought at auction are almost always bought "as is". Apparently the Ford Credit auctions are different and we didn't know that.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    You do realize that (a) the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and Hyundai Sonata are made right here in the USA, and (b) you just replied to a post from almost a year ago. Right?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    So it is a year old. He made a good point, and I agree. Sure there are some foreign junk made here but all the profit goes back to their country to help their economy, not ours. If more people bought American when possible we wouldn't be where we are now. I go out of my way to buy American when I can like I don't have a foreign piece of clothes in my closet and my tennis shoes are New Balance which in most cases are also American. I look at the labels and get what I can.
    :shades:
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    I agree with your post and try to buy American made whenever possible..the issue I have with the fusion is that it is made in Mexico with only 55% US parts..even the eng/tranny are foreign built..another car I am considering is the camry, built in the US with 75% US/CA. parts..buying a ford fusion may help the co. and its stockholders but I don't see how it helps our own people get decent jobs...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    "I don't have a foreign piece of clothes in my closet"

Wow...how is that even possible? I doubt I have a single clothing item with "made in USA" on the label. But then, I don't mind human beings in other countries having jobs, so I can't say that I have read all the labels.

I even own some foreign stocks, so some of those profits of foreign companies come back to me, here in the US.
    Can we please not go there (again)?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Small % of vehicle purchase goes to the manufacturer and stockholders (profit). Far more goes to suppliers, assemblers, etc. I try to buy something that benefits the US the most while still meeting my needs. The ONLY neg I have on the fusion is where its built and the content. I would still buy it but it certainly doesn't get bonus points for being "domestic" in my book.
    Congrats on keeping the 2nd graders of other countries enployed. Me, I like being able to keep them in school here, but than again that takes money that you seem to send oversea's.
    Take it offline. This argument is old and nobody's going to win.
    You're right, of course, it's just so hard to resist that bait, though... ;)
  • Any word on this thing? Anything other than the 2.4L?
    same to you too. :P :confuse:
    Spam, spam, spam, spam...........
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    It attracts the spam-flies. :P

Please keep the comments focused on Fusion/Milan.

Thanks!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I test drove a Fusion last night and was very impressed in many aspects of the car. However, the auto trans on the I4 was not one of them. Now, part of that is that I am coming out of a V6/5MT car and I have never owned an automatic. However, I felt there were several places where the car was slow to re-accelerate after slowing because it didn't downshift appropriately (or at least, where I would have already down shifted). The dealer didn't have an MT version on the lot, but I'm going to check with another local dealer to see if they have one.

Anyway, if anyone has an I4/MT could you tell me how you like it? How it compares to other MT cars you've driven? I'm shopping for my next car and the other two cars at the top of my list at the moment are VW Jetta and Mazda 3.
    If you're expecting it to behave like a manual you will be sorely disappointed.

If you want an automatic to downshift you have to give it more throttle - probably more than you're used to doing with a manual. The throttle is the only way for the tranny to figure out what to do.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,699
    the drivetrains on these cars is very tight and take a long time to break in.
    i have 18k on my fusion 6/AT.
    when i first got it, the transmission was very 'geary' sounding in the 2 lower gears and the engine sounded rough.
    eventually, i would say between 10-15k, the engine and trans both quieted down/smoothed out.
    unless i push it, the only sound i get out of the engine is a low level 'vvvvvv'.
  • You could be right...I may not have been hitting the accelerator hard enough to tell it what I wanted. I may give it another try in the auto as it did drive perfectly fine...yeah, less power than I'm used to, but still enough. I'm cross shopping it along with Mazda 3 hatch and VW Jetta...kind of a weird group, but the cars have to appeal to me aesthetically and still have some life to them...I'm planning to drive it for 9-10 yrs like I have my current car.
    I cross shopped a Mustang GT, Cougar and Lincoln LS and ended up with the LS. I didn't have any preconceived notions of what car I wanted.
    Coming from a V6, you may also be used to more power at lower rpm. The difference you are noticing may be due as much to the engine as the transmission.

I went from a 4 cyl manual (Contour) to a 4 cyl automatic ('07 Mazda6) a couple years ago. I've found the transmission's operation to be pretty acceptable. The only negatives I notice are more vibration when stopped, a bit of slush when initially starting from a stop, and early up-shifting a bit early under light acceleration. I do like that under hard acceleration my Mazda trans shifts at redline, I guess some do not do that and have revs limited to something less than redline.

My wife has a Jetta and that is a super-smooth shifting transmission. The 2.5, 5 cyl engine also has more low end torque than my 4 cyl.
  • I am looking at a 2010 3.0 fusion and was wondering what gas mileage people are seeing with the v6's, awd or fwd.

Are you seeing numbers that are better or worse than what is on the sticker?

Also, does anyone know where the transmissions are being built or by whom?

Thanks
    Pretty sure the 2010 3.0L uses the American made 6F35 tranny while the 3.5L continues to use the Aisin tranny in the Fusion, Milan and MKZ.

I have a 2006 3.0L and I get around 27 mpg on highway trips. City mileage on my daily commute averages anywhere from 17 to 21 depending on traffic.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,699
    i have an 07 fusion v6 awd and averaged 22 for the first year, now averaging 23 mpg.
    mostly a short highway commute. i rarely use the a/c. have a moonroof, which i keep cracked open as much as possible.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Pretty sure the 2010 3.0L uses the American made 6F35 tranny while the 3.5L continues to use the Aisin tranny in the Fusion, Milan and MKZ.

Why wouldn't the Ford 6F50 from the Taurus/Flex/Edge be used in them? Cheaper to ship the Aisin to Mexico maybe?
    The 2.5 and 3.0L engines get the 6F35 while the 6F50 is reserved for the 3.5L models (difference is torque capacity).

Not sure why they continue to use the Aisin tranny in the 3.5L Fusion and MKZ. It's either a supply issue or some packaging issue where the aisin is smaller.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Not sure why they continue to use the Aisin tranny in the 3.5L Fusion and MKZ. It's either a supply issue or some packaging issue where the aisin is smaller.

Gearing, the 3.5 puts out more power than either the 3.0 and the I4. Its also more sport tuned than the 6F35. Its reserved for use only in the Sport model, which I own and love. The shifts are manualesk in how it shifts, it has a slight pause between gears as if I were driving a stick, under light load, but put the pedal into it and the shifts are crisp and firm but not harsh. The ratios are setup for this car and with the 3.0 would be too high for the power output.

My fuel economy so far with 1700 miles is 24 city/highway mix, and 31 highway. The 3.5 and 3.0 get basically the same eco numbers.
    But they use the 6F35 with the 3.5L in the Edge, MKX, Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT. But they don't use it in the Fusion/MKZ. Has to be more than just gearing.
    But they use the 6F35 with the 3.5L in the Edge, MKX, Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT. But they don't use it in the Fusion/MKZ. Has to be more than just gearing.

The 6F50 is used in the Flex and MKT. Not sure about the others but I'm pretty sure anything with the 3.5L uses it too save for the Fusion apparently. The 6F35 is reserved for those engines smaller than the 3.5L. My question stemmed from this. Packaging issues or shipping issues are the only two reasons I can think of for Ford to use the Aisin in the Fusion Sport. I can't imagine it would be packaging though because the 6F35 and 6F50 are supposedly the same size and the 6F35 is used in the non-Sport Fusions.
    Yes, the 6F50 is used in the 3.5L applications, not the 6F35. The 6F55 is the beefed up version in the ecoboost models.

The 6F35 and 6F50 may be the same size - but the 3.0L and 3.5L engines are not. It's possible the 3.0L + 6F35 would fit but the 3.5L + 6F50 would not. It's just speculation. Maybe since they used the Aisin 6 speed with the 3.5L in the MkZ before the 6F50 was available it was easier to keep using it instead of switching.
    That makes sense too Allen. I was thinking it might be cheaper to ship the Aisin from Japan to Mexico (via boat) than it is to truck or train-then-truck the 6F50 down there. Then again, your packaging argument makes more sense given that they already do train-then-truck the 6F35 down there. Although I'm not sure where all the variations of the 6F are assembled either.