Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    i read somewhere that low rolling resistance tires and an aggressive fuel shutoff were 2 ways used to gain a better mileage result.
  • I was just hoping for better economy out of the 3.0. It's smaller and less powerful than the accord/camry V6s. Even the sonata has more power, displacement and better fuel economy with it's V6. Other than this little mileage detail which will burn a lot of my cash in the long run, I like the features and price at the moment. :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    I was just hoping for better economy out of the 3.0.

Based on what I've been reading on other forums most people feel the same including me. However it was pointed out that the new D30 does have 20 more horses and does get at least 1 MPG more on the highway. So it's not a total loss.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It's about where the Honda 3.0L was in 2003. Still not up to the 3.5L in the Taurus.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    It's about where the Honda 3.0L was in 2003. Still not up to the 3.5L in the Taurus.

Well you can get the D35 in the 2010 Fusion now and it's MPG estimates are the same as the D30's. Only you get about 25 more HP and a sport tuned suspension among other sport model extras. Being that the sport model is supposedly tuned for performance I have no doubt it could compete with the Accord's 3.5L in FE if tuned for normal use. If you truly want FE don't get a V6. If you truly want performance, don't get an Accord or Camry V6 because they have nothing special in the way of sport over their base models. We should all wait for a proper comparo before issuing final judgement though. ;)
    fords do not usually make the most hp/liter. honda is usually the leader there.
    if you take a look back at the performance chart from the c&d comparison test powertrain, the fusion is down 15 hp to the accord.
    the accord wins the 0-60 by half a second(7.5 to 8.0).
    the fusion and the accord have the same final drive ratio and pretty much the same
    top gear ratio, although the fusion is a six speed vs a 5 speed.
    in top gear acceleration 30-50 fusion wins by 1.8 (11.9 to 13.7)
    50 to 70 fusion also wins this time by 1.6(11.4 to13.0)
    this is a measure of real world torque, which ford emphasizes over hp/liter.
    of course, i realize you can downshift if you don't want to accelerate in top gear.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The fusion also has a bit more displacement than the Honda (which isn't quite 2400cc), good for torque.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My guess would be tires, weight and gearing.

After posting, I did notice the skinny tires on the Fusion S. I doubt the gearing is any different between the different trim levels. Higher trim would have more weight, but that would be the case with any model of car and I can not recall ever seeing different fuel economy ratings for different trim levels for any other model. I have only ever seen different numbers for each engine and transmission combination.
  • kevin512kevin512 Posts: 3
    Tim156,

I appreciate the information. Those seem like good prices considering this is the first month of availability, I didn't think it would be possible to get much under MSRP before summer. I'm going to talk to Midway Ford in Roseville once they have a vehicle available for a test drive (hopefully within the next two weeks), I've always gotten good service there on my '02 Explorer. Your numbers will give me a price to aim for.

I need to decide between an SEL and Hybrid. If I can get the $3400 tax credit for the hybrid, I may go that route. If not, I'll probably be looking at the exact same model and options you are looking at.

Kevin512
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    My local salesperson said she would have 2010 Fusions on the lot in April. They had one in last week, but only for sales training purposes.

Does anyone know if push button starting is offered? I actually prefer the standard key with remote functions.

Also, with the bump from 220 to 240 HP on the 3.0 V6, do we know if there's a corresponding bump in torque?

Thanks.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    You better get you order in early for a hybrid. One salesman said most the early built hybrids are going to California and the East Coast. Both I talked to Saturday said their dealerships were allocated two hybrids. The number of cars to dealerships has to increase as demand increases in other parts of the country. I'm telling you, after seeing the non-hybrid Sport last weekend, this is going to be a popular car once it hits the Auto Show circuit and showroom floors.
  • max54max54 Posts: 2
    >>I didn't think it would be possible to get much under MSRP before summer.

Why do you think that? I mean with all the other incentives, why would you not buy something like the Mazda 6 with 0% APR + $1,000 cash back, plus MSRP discount over a new Fusion at MSRP?

I'll be looking at the new Fusion, but will not buy it if the price is too high compared to everything else.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    MSRP is only for the hybrid - I expect regular pricing on the 2010 non hybrid Fusions/Milans ($500 over invoice plus a small rebate/low financing).
  • kevin512kevin512 Posts: 3
    Tim156,

Apple Valley Ford is expecting a Hybrid available for a test drive in mid March. If I like it, I'll put in an order. I'm not worried about waiting a few months for delivery, but I don't want to miss out on the $3400 tax credit that drops to $1700 on April 1st. There has been some speculation as to whether ordering a car before April 1st will even quality for the tax credit or if a person would need to take possession by that date, which would be almost impossible to do.

If I can't get the $3400 tax credit or if I can't take possession of a Hybrid by late summer, I'll stick with the SEL.

Kevin512
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Since the IRS document gives the example of someone purchasing a vehicle in the summer but not taking delivery of the vehicle until several months later, I believe as long as you get the retail order in before 4/1 you're covered. I also think Ford's retail order verification project will not only help you get a hybrid without worrying about whether your dealer has allocation or not but will also give you the documentation that you might need for the tax credit.
    The order for my SEL, 2.5L, Blue Sport Metallic, Moon and Tune and remote start was confirmed today by Ford. Two weeks for a VIN and delivery in 4.5 weeks. I can't wait!
    post some pictures on carspace when you get it!
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    Sounds just like the '10 Fusion I want. Question: could you have gotten the blue Alcantara seats (Blue Seude option) with the SEL? I think that would really jazz up the interior and I'm not sure on which trim levels its offered. Thanks
    The two tone seats are only available on the Sport model. Looking at the Spec Sheet, the Blue Suede option was deleted for 2010. It's now called blue (red or black) seat insert. I briefly considered the Sport model but wanted the fuel economy the 2.5L offers. Style and economy, Ford put together a great package with the Fusion.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I think the one that makes the most sense for me is the Fusion SE with the 6 speed manual and the moons/tunes package that includes a sunroof, SYNC, and an upgraded radio. Unfortunately, I think it will be a while before I can get out of my current ride, so we will see how it goes.