Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• osaka75osaka75 Posts: 88
    Just got done with a 5-day rental of a Ford Fusion SE from Thrifty. I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS-V6 and would like to replace it somewhat soon so was glad to have the opportunity to try the Fusion for several days.

I am not sure if this was a 4 or 6 cylinder version. I presumed a 4 because it’s a rental and because of the engine sound and rpm response. (I should have popped the hood.) I also don’t know if it was a 2010 or earlier but it had 26,000 miles so I figure it could be either. My best guess is that it was a 2010 4-cylinder. (Does anyone know if Ford sells 6 cylinders to rental companies?)

Overall impression was very positive. The exterior and interior both looked great. The engine was powerful and made a nice sound. The ergonomics were fine for me. Didn’t really use the steering wheel controls. The suspension was firm. I thought I liked a softer suspension but this one was great in all driving. At home I would have bottomed out on dips that the Fusion took in stride. The transmission shifted nicely at all speeds. The steering was perfectly fine for me and I have none of the dissatisfaction that others above have mentioned.

One complaint was the head rest position. There have been posts on this above.

Another complaint was the gas mileage. I did at least 50% of my miles on the highway but only averaged just under 17 mpg. That doesn’t seem right at all, especially for a 4 cylinder. I was a little heavy on the pedal but not so much as to warrant such poor performance. There are many posts above exclaiming great gas mileage so perhaps mine was an anomaly.

This rental was a great opportunity, as I will now definitely include the Fusion on my short list when ready to make my next purchase.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Did you reset the avg mpg? If not then it won't change much if it's been driven a lot of miles since the last reset.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Wouldn't it have had "V6" on the back if it were one?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,442
    edited August 2010
    the 6 has exhaust pipes on each side, the 4 has 2 on the right side.
    if the headlight were sort of horizontal, it an '09 or earlier. the headlights on the 2010 are more horizontal. hope this helps.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    You had a dyslexic moment! If the headlights were vertical, than '09 or earlier. Happens to us all, but just wanted to make it clear.
    yes, i meant to write vertical!
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    The SE usually is a 4 banger, but can option with the 6. If the engine was noisy, then its a 4, the 6 is a pretty quiet engine until you romp on it. 4's and 6's each have their own sound, so the only way to tell is go to a dealer now and test drive both, and see if you remember what which one sounded like what you drove. In any case, glad to see you liked how the car drove, they are a far cry above the others in the driving department. For those of us who like to "drive", its a good car, those who like to be a passenger behind the wheel, they can keep their mushy Camry! :shades:

As far as MPG, its a rental and unless you disconnect the battery for a couple hours to reset the computer and drive it several hundred miles in your own style, you will never get an accurate reading. I rented a Prius once in San Jose, and owned the Prius and Camry Hybrid, so I'm very good at obtaining above EPA on them. After resetting the displays to 0, and driving it a week, the best I could get was 45mpg, far below what I would normally get in one. Too many drivers with too many different driving habits, and most tend to abuse the car since it isn't theirs.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    Yes, they do sell the V-6 to rental companies. I have a 2008 SEL V-6 that was a Hertz vehicle.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    One nice feature of the 2010 Milan is that the passenger seatback folds forward flat as can be (and level). It essentially converts to a flat table like surface. When I have no passengers, I fold it and move it as far forward as I can and it presents a surface for whatever. It also takes the seatback and headrest out of sight lines and opens the interior of the car up visually, making it seem quite large and uncluttered. Try it, you may like it. All the seats in the Milan fold forward (except driver's of course). This is a welcome feature in a mid-sizer. I must say I continue to be impressed with the engineering of the car. 2500 miles and 33 mpg mostly residential driving, about 20% highway. I selected it from the mid-sized herd because of it's quietness and my previous very good experience with a Mercury Sable. So far no complaints at all. In fact I keep discovering nice little touches that speak to the integrated engineering of the whole car. As for the "sync" system I have no cell phone so it is unavailable to me. My first experience with Sirius is that it is nice but I usually listen to local stations and am not a great traveler so I doubt that I will choose to renew the contract when it expires. One surprise is that the 17" wheels are steel with plastic covers. As for handling, it is better than my previous Sable in high speed turns and braking.
    My '07 Fusion SEL also has the fold flat passenger seat. I think it was only available in SEL trim.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    edited September 2010
    10 Sport, same thing with the folding seat, the Flex does too. Since Mercury is going bye bye, wont be long when you will be able to get great deals on that line.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited September 2010
    Since Mercury is going bye bye, wont be long when you will be able to get great deals on that line.

I doubt it. The market system will not allow the Milan's price to drop below that of a comparably equipped Fusion, since the two are functionally identical. Right now there's only a couple hundred dollars difference in most cases anyway. So don't expect to pick up a Milan Premier for significantly less than a comparable Fusion SEL.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Mercury has $1500 in dealer cash available now. But they're not going to build a bunch of them so they won't be piled up on dealer lots so I don't expect the deals to get much better except maybe on a few oddball leftovers.
  • I am getting a new company car and must decide between the following 3 vehicles:
    1. 2011 Jetta Sportswagen S
    2. 2011 Ford Fusion SE
    3. 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S

I will keep the vehicle for 3 years or around 75K miles. Which would you choose between these 3 cars? Gas mileage isnt a concern. I do have a wife and 2 kids who will be taking a few trips a year in it with me as well as riding around town in it. Thanks for any input.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    Fusion!!! Because I have one. :shades:

Kidding! (Sort of...) Of course I'd be biased, but the Altima was on my short list when shopping, just the salesmen were SUPER pushy, and that dealership is like the only game in town, so they got checked off the list.

Volkswagons never made my list due to higher prices and lower reliability from what I read, but I guess price is not that important on your list.

I'll just say I'm very satisfied with my 2010 Fusion SE. Quiet, roomy. Had to adjust the seat right to be comfortable, though. That was an issue at first, but it's perfect now. The I-4 has plenty enough power, as I don't think my 4 door sedan is a race car. It will get up and go for the passing lane. Like the Sync. I also like that the Fusion is less common on the road than Altimas and Camrys and such.
  • I like everything about VWs except their repair costs and initially higher price. Since neither of those will matter to you, I'd take the opportunity to have the Jetta wagon. Lots of utility and european handling.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    The Fusion as I have the Hybrid plus it is an American Manufacturers car which helps this country. Why should I support another countries economy and schools, they sure don't help us.
  • The Fusion as I have the Hybrid plus it is an American Manufacturers car which helps this country. Why should I support another countries economy and schools, they sure don't help us.

The people in my state manufacturing Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Honda Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline light-trucks, and Hyundai Sonatas and Santa Fes sure beg to differ. Tax dollars from those incomes benefit me as a taxpayer in the state of Alabama as well

This belongs in the news and views forum, however, doesn't it?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2010
    Depends on how much your gov. gave up to get them there. Most likely 10 to 20 yrs. in tax givebacks etc. Bottom line many billions will/went back overseas where as if it would have been american car they would have stayed in this country. Of course if something ever happened and there was another big war I'm sure your car companies would step up and build war goods like all the american car companies did during WW1 and 2.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    You do remember that the Fusion is built in Mexico, don't you?