Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    I have not had a vehicle in a good number of years that didn't do what your Milan is doing. Since the manufacturers removed the rain gutters from the roof in the name of style and aerodynamics they all leaked as yours does. I am presently driving a Ford Edge and the rain will run in as you describe. A normal occurrence for this day and age,
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Doctor, doctor - it hurts when I do this.........

:)
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Going way back, I had this problem with my 1992 Crown Vic. Problem solver is to install the window ventshades that stick on the doors and allow you to have the window open a few inches and not get all wet. Drawback is it cuts down on your cars COD, but whats a little drag when you want fresh air.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    Thank you acdii, I am considering adding a drivers side shield of that sort. I do like the fresh, unprocessed air. I find Akirby's humor a little dry for such a wet problem but appreciate it none the less. Now only if I could construct an antigravity shield that was flexible and could be attached to the roof near the driver's side...then I could.... Actually I think the windshield wiper toss adds to the problem which is why it is less noticeable when it is only lightly raining. I consider it a tribute to the design engineers that I have to search for such minor issues to serve a kindling to keep this thread alive from time to time. Great car.
  • Vent Shades sound like a great solution to your issue, pod.
  • I cannot turn the radio off or change stations,it is stuck,nothing works,it only plays the station it is on.
    I disconnected the battery ground cable to reset the radio but still won't work.
    Any suggestions ?
    Sounds like your Sync is sunk.

Since you already removed the ground, provided you left it disconnected for a few minutes, the next step is bring it in. There are no repairs for radios, just replacements.
    I post here because I own a Milan which, relatively speaking is a quiet car. My question is a general one. NVH is an issue in most cars. Honda uniformly gets panned on this aspect of their cars. For the engineers out there: is it possible to have microphone pickups in the wheel wells which send a composite signal to an amplifier which plays them back out of phase through the radio somewhat along the lines of noise cancelling earphones. It wouldn't eliminate all the noise, even theoretically, since resonances and structural vibrations would still be present but it may eliminate the tire, wheel well noises which seem dominant. A crazy idea? The cancel signal could be played without interfering with the music on the radio. Since there are smart engineers in the industry I expect this will no help but I'm interested in hearing opinions.
    I thought I read that Lincoln is doing exactly that with their new generation vehicles but I don't have a link.
    Anything can be done, it boils down to cost. What would it cost to add 4 weather proof mikes, and a bose type noise canceling system? It's like the BLIS, you dont see it in all their cars, even though it is a very good system. You don't see adaptive cruise control in all cars, only top end ones, mainly due to the cost. I think something like what you ask would fall somewhere along those lines of top end cars.
    I live in NE where the weather is fickle. I know in Florida sudden rain storms are routine. I don't know why manufacturers have no provided an automatic "close the windows and sunroof it's raining" feature. As a golfer I have returned to a wet interior more than once when a quick moving storm came by on a very hot day. If you leave the roof tilted and the windows partially open at the top you are at risk of this wetting. It seems all that would be required is a rain sensor and some interlock safety features. For example it would only be activated if the seat sensors showed no occupants. There would need to be some clutch like override if the closure was obstructed and encountered resistance so the "what if a baby was crawling out the window when the closure occurred?" crowd would be assured.
    Cheap to make it seems to me but not available. Either that or a bilge pump. A friend's S2000 was filled to the seat bottoms after a quick storm since he left the top down. Yes? No?
    I rather this than mytouch. Call it myumbrella. I always wonder about damage to the switch gear in the doorsides when the rain comes in.
    Seems to me the cheapest solution is to simply close the windows or leave the top up...........problem solved!
    Boy, you are dry, pun intended.

Believe it or not some days you do not want to leave the car locked up when the sun is blistering hot and there is not shade. A little ventilation and a reflective windshield shield go a long way to keeping the inside temperature down.

You had earlier commented that the solution to the rain dripping in an open window as happens in the Fusion is to close the window. Again I guess you are not a fan of outside air.

To each their own. I would place you in the minority. Walk around a business parking lot on a hot day and see how many cars are with a cracked windows and tilted roof. I guess, being a reductionist, you must be puzzled why the windows open at all. Fixed windows and no sun roof would keep the costs down and reduce the drag coefficients. Your AC must get a workout in the summer.

Incidentally, for those who do crack their windows when driving, the drip in the fusion is from the windshield wiper toss. There is no drip on the passenger side. That makes it easier to fix without using the vent shields that were recommended logically by many.

Akirby you know an awful lot about fords of all types but your views on ventilation seem a bit eccentric. I expect your tongue is in your cheek; otherwise it must hang out like a St. Bernard's in the summer.

I do enjoy all your posts most of which are very informative; all of them provoke reactions. You keep this forum entertaining. Stay dry.
    Other than the sun roof, the ventshades work wonders when it rains when your parked. You can crack the windows about an inch with them on and it helps a lot. I do think there is a vent shade made for the sunroof, whether that would block rain while parked I dont know, it covers the leading edge, so you can crack it back a bit like the window, and there is a rain gutter surrounding the opening so rain will drain away while it is down. The glass drops down when opened, JIC you haven't noticed
    I wasn't being sarcastic - I was just being practical. While automatically closing the windows when it senses rain would be neat it's a rube goldberg solution.

I park my car outside all summer long in 95 degree heat and unless I know it's not going to rain I leave my windows closed. It's hot for a few minutes but then it's fine.

It would be more appropriate for cases where you forgot to roll up the windows or close the sunroof.
    Dashboard temperatures in a closed car parked in the open sun on a 95 degree day reach 192 degrees farenheit. Air temperatures reach 165. Trunk temperatures in the 140s. CD's melt. Soda cans explode. Burns occur when touching seat belt buckles. And, of course, small children and pets die. Assuming the car is empty the principal concern would be fatigue and separation of the dashboard surfaces and, for that matter, all surfaces directly exposed to the sun. There are multiple reliable reports of such temperatures on the internet where actual temperatures were taken. One, of course, was by a windshield shade company.
    I cannot find similar measurements for a situation where the windows are partially open and the roof tilted but my experience suggests there is a huge difference.
    Most electronic components are rated only to 120 degrees.
    Surface temperatures to that degree cannot be good for any material and most dark surfaces, especially metallic ones, will be hotter than the air, i.e. hotter than 150 degrees.
    These facts, and my comfort when I do return to the car (look out if you're wearing shorts on leather seats) are the reasons that I, and most people, choose to let some ventilation occur when parking a car in open sun.
    To each their own but these strike me as valid and logical arguments for the majority who ventilate. When you golf the car may sit in the daytime sun for 6 hours. When you work and the parking lot is shadeless, 6-7 hours of hot sun exposure.
    That choice is what exposes me to the rain issue. Your choice eliminates the concern about rain at least. I suspect many would find a "rain mode closure device" a welcomed and useful design feature. It should be an optional accessory, of course, and would be damn site more useful than the self parking feature or mytouch. In fact if I directed my touch to a hot dash under such circumstances I would use my mouth to cry out from my pain.

Reasonable men differ. Not uncommon.
    I said it would be a neat feature, but from a practical standpoint a sunshade and vent visors with the windows cracked an inch or so would do the same thing as far as reducing interior temps and providing ventilation.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    For what that feature would add to the price of the vehicle you could probablly just opt for the remote start. That way, assuming you have a 2010 Fusion or newer, you could open the front windows, vent the moonroof, and start the car with the air on using the standard key fob from the 18th fairway and have a nice cool cabin when you finally get to the car.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I leave my vehicles out without the windows or sunroof open. I have always done this. I live in Tennessee where the temperatures have been from 93 to 100 the entirety of the summer. I have never had any of the issues you list. My CDs don't melt; my dash does not get damaged. Of course, I would never leave a soda can in the vehicle and, certainly, never an animal.
    Get an MKS. We have one and it does exactly what you asked for. Press and hold the door open and the windows go down, sunroof opens. Press and hold lock and they all close.