Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Mercury Montego

1235»

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Yes, although the range will be greater than just $5K from base to, higher trim model. It'll be competitive to other offerings at that time.
  • Hi, ANT14,
       Thank you so much for all the info you have provided to me, I really appreciate it. Do you work for Ford? As I said before, my brother-in-law works for ford, and so did my father-in-law before he retired. Next time I see my brother-in-law I will ask him if he knows anything about the Montego. I just don't know when that will be. Have you ever gone to ebay motors? They have alot of older model cars that are for sale. By the way my Husband had a Montego , He said, about 30(thirty) years ago and just love it. I am going to have a hard time waiting for this car to become available. Anyways, thanks again so much for all the info you have posted and since you Created this thread, for introducing me to the 2005 Montego.
    Sincerely,
    Nurse_Luna
    Glad I could help. Check every so often, I'll be posting more info as it becomes available.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    A question is being directed to you in the Explorer Sport Trac discussion.
  • My mother used to own a 1975 Mercury Montego sedan that she bought it used in 1980 for about $2,000. She kept this car for twelve years until a car hitted her Montego in an intersection traffic light area. The rear end was smashed badly but the car still ran well after the accident. Because of the high cost of repairing the body, although it was still running with a working air-conditioner, my parents agreed to put this car in the junkyard in 1992. To tell you the truth, I was only eight years old at that time, and I did not know well of this car.

I remember that this car had a hard time starting every morning everyday when my mom backed her car out from the garage to take me to elementary school. It often leaked some oil. This car actually had power windows, air-conditioning, rear power window lock switch, defroster, and etc... Not sure if it had power door locks. This 1975 Montego sure was pretty well innovated with latest technology. Very few 1975 cars have rear power window lock-switch and air-conditioning unlike today. There were few repairs required in the 1975 Mercury Montego. Some rust did occur but not too noticable.

My mom replaced her car to a 1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon. Besides my mom's previous car, can anybody tell me what is special about Mercury Montego? Mercury claimed that the Montego was a powerful name in the past. Would love to hear what is special about Montego? Thanks for your help.

Walter Chan
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Walter - I didn't think it was that special myself. It was a Mercury upgrade to the
    Ford Torino, and came with some more options usually, and better seats, but it wasn't a champion performer. I'm glad yours was dependable into the later years. They did have great air conditioners that lasted forever, that's true. The motors were strong and durable. Weak spots were the air pumps and emission controls would fail. Carburators and chokes were problematic in later years of life. Mileage wasn't great. But generally, they ran for a long time with minimal problems.
  • nvbanker: I'm really surprised you mentioned that the air-conditioner does last forever in old Montegos. I always thought that the Montego air-conditioner would break down fast as most of the older Ford vehicles are prone to have many AC problems that were worser than Chrysler and GM. I have no clue if the air conditioner failed before. How can you prove that the AC did last forever? Was it better than Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant? Would love to hear it.

Walter Chan
    I can add to this. I have a friend who has an 86 Cougar 5.0, with over 260K miles, and he is still on the original A/C. Nothing A/C wise has failed, and we are talking about humid Miami heat. And I'm surprised at how well it cools, much better than some of todays midsize sedan A/C's. Of course, he does routinly changed the
    "freon" (He hasn't switched, nor plans to, to R134) and also adds a bit of compressor oil as well to lubricate.

I have read some positive feedback over the A/C installed in those generations Cougar/Tbird/Mustang fitted with the 5.0.
    My father drove cars for a living in sales. He put about 30,000 a year on a car. He had a 78 LTD II, that I bought from my mother when he died, in 83 and drove two more years. I can guarantee you that the A/C never was even charged, let alone have any parts replaced in 7 years. I sold it to my attorney in 85, and he kept it until 1988, and never serviced the A/C either. So for the first 10 years of its life, it cooled its living guts out in Las Vegas 115 degree summers with no service. Dad's experience with Ford A/C in that genre was that the compressors would last consistently over 100,000 miles, and rarely would they need service, or even a charge. So, I don't get this old wive's tale about Ford having inferior air. I have little experience with Chrysler, but GM never had air IMO that would rival a Ford, in longevity, or in performance. Now, I did have a 76 Pinto that had a noisy compressor and a leak, but it worked great when it was charged. It was my only problem Ford A/C.

My conclusion therefore is that, generally, Fords had very competent A/C. Frankly, I think they still have the best A/C in the business, except in the Town Car.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    Lincoln is already planning to cancel production of the Aviator in 2005. Has Ford ever thought of phasing out the two, since ratings are very low... and not much people are looking up to them these days?

Mercury is going to have a tough time convincing buyers that buying the Monterey minivan this Fall is any different than buying a Ford Freestar. There gonna have the same problems with the Mariner SUV and the Monterey. Is it worth it?
    Incorrect, at no time has Ford, or Lincoln officials stated that the Aviator would die for 2005. This story was based on speculation due to a factory (St.Louis) being closed (as planned). Days later at a conference, Ford's Scheele was asked about that report, and mentioned it wasn't true. While there is a SUV/Crossover being planned for Lincoln, it has a different mission than the current Aviator.

As for Monterey and Mariner, it's not hurting any to offer dressed up Ford's for them. Mercury's best sales were in years where such a product range existed. If other manufacturer's can pull it off, it will not hurt Mercury/Lincoln dealerships any.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    I think GM could follow Fords strategy with Olds, just make it rebadged Chevies. Chevy looks too bland and interior has pretty cheap feeling. Many people wouldn't buy Chevy just because of that cheapo image. Basically Mercury is not mechanically different from Ford, but still looks more upscale and more subtle. If Old was just more upscale Chevy with more elegant and upscale look it would be winner. There is nothing that GM can offer. Chevy is too plain. Pontiac is for gen X,Y,Z.... Caddy is too into face and too expensive. Buick is geriatric like Toyota. The only thing left is SAAB and it is too expensive. I don't consider Saturn because it is econobox department.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    ANT14, That was about a week ago or so. I didn't know Ford had reported differently.

upsetter, I feel that you don't like GM vehicles, but I do. I don't really like Ford vehicles but like to keep up to date with the new vehicles they are making. Ford should be a good example for GM at this time. It is a good idea what you think GM should do with Oldsmobile, but I personally think that General Motors has too much upscale vehicles (olds, buick, cadillac) They need to revise some of there models like how they are right now. Now that GM is phasing out Oldsmobile to do this to GM rooms:

1)Saturn- Entry Level Vehicles
    2)Chevrolet- Value Priced Vehicles
    3)Buick- Middle Upscale Vehicles
    4)Cadillac- Expensive upscale vehicles

This will do a lot good to GM, upsetter. The Olds idea is great, but I don't think GM is going to follow Ford. Ford needs to make Lincoln more upscale (in my opinion) and let Merc fill in the other gap that Lincoln left.
    Not a bad lineup. Where's Pontiac though?
1235»
This discussion has been closed.