Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 2003 Jetta is consuming oil

kristinewkristinew Posts: 6
edited March 25 in Volkswagen
I have a 2003 Jetta with about 8800 miles on it. It keeps consuming oil. It strange because it seems to use oil at the drop of a hat. The dealer told me to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles. (I was a bit skeptical about this) It seems that my car cannot go that long because it uses a quart of oil in between. It seems to do it at about 3,500 to 4,000 miles. I have brought it back to the dealer who told me that it is normal for the car to use oil in between. Anyone have advice.

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    with oil consumption in the 1.8, 1.8T and 2.0 engines.

They are the only manufacturer selling in the US that says "using a quart every 1,000 miles is normal", when most others say a quart in 2,000-3,000 is normal.

Push the issue.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529
    A quart every 3,500 miles is fine, as long as it stays constant. Nothing wrong with using a bit of oil. You won't get anywhere with VW with oil consumption at that level, but you can record the matter on a repair order at the dealer, with the mileage and date, and then, if the oil consumption starts increasing over time, you have a record of prior concern while still in warranty.

I didn't even notice the 3,500-4,000 mile on quart consumption rate - actually very good for a VW.
  • mreggballmreggball Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jetta 2.0 burned oil - about a quart every 4000 miles. It also had water in the engine - the sign of water is a yellowish substance that forms under the oil fill cap. VW signed off saying it was normal. Now I have a 2003 1.8T - no signs of oil consumption yet.
    is condensation - no real biggie - and a quart every 4k is good!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    So far my 2002 Jetta w/2.0 is running fine. The engine has not used one ounce of oil. Other than my dash and rear door mid speaker rattle (which is killing me BTW), my engine is great. I really want to bring my car to the dealer to have them work on the rattles, but I know they will create more in the process. Also, since this is a lease, I will give it back eventually anyways.
    WD-40, silicone spray, a pair of visegrips and matchbook covers work very well on dash rattles, but you need to buy a friend lunch so he listen for the rattles and locate them. Make sure he keeps his seat belt on when he does this.

• swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    so he can move it around where he thinks the rattle or squeak is and when he's on top of it, he'll know by listening with the hose up to his ear.
    I have been killing myself the past couple of weeks trying to locate the dash rattle. The first one I had(which I think has disappeared) was located on the center dash vent. When I heard the rattle I would put my finger on the vent and it stopped. Now, the rattle is coming in from the inside the dash. I think when the VW Tech's took my dash out they probably broke a clip or something or possibly just loosened something. I have pushed on every area of my dash and the noise still persists. It also seems like it is getting worse. if this continues, I will be forced to bring it in again. We'll see though.

Mr Shiftright: What exactly do you do with the WD40/silocone spray. I will try anything at this point.
  • moose29moose29 Posts: 2
    What weight oil are you using in your jetta and is it the 2.0 engine? Also isnt it funny how VW. says this engine can go 10,000 miles between oil changes?
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    BMW uses indicador when the oil is supposed to be changed. 12000 miles is not unheard of.

Krzys
    My Wife's Tahoe has an oil indicator.....
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    When does indicator show oil change is required on Tahoe ? How many miles ?

Krzys
    So far the oil change indicator usually comes on between 5-6K miles. It depends on the kind of driving you do and when the oil light will come on. The owners manual states that if the light does not come on within a period of 1 yr, the oil needs to be changed regradless.
    I use silicone spray as a temporary silencer up under the dash, on any two abraiding surfaces. If the noise goes away temporarily, I know where to start tightening. Better for squeaks than rattles of course.

I had one annoying rattle in my Porsche that turned out to be a 10 mm socket someone dropped in the front cowl during bodywork. I found it only after taking out the windshield.

I hope you mailed that one back to the president of porsche of america with a little love letter ;)
    I still have that socket, too. It is a symbol of what an idiot I am to never, ever give up.

• kristinewkristinew Posts: 6
    I have no idea what type of oil is being put into my car because the dealership changes the oil. But VW is doing an oil consumption test, whereby I have to bring the car back every 1,000 miles. Well, I brought the car back today (1,000 miles since my last oil change) and the dealer had to add about 6 or 8 ounces of oil. There is also a weird sludge under the oil cap. Have no clue what that is from. Yet everyone is telling me that there is no problem with my car. VW says it is normal for their standards. 5,000 without an oil change, hah, I have already had three oil changes.
    So it seems like you are burning a quart every 4,000 miles then? (8 ounces every 1,000 miles).

There's nothing wrong with that. That's fine.

by those of a bunch of old shadetree mechanics, it stinks. "why, back in my salad days, kids, I drove fifty years without adding a drop of oil! they just don't make 'em like my stutz bearcat."

the sludge is probably the usual glop that builds on short drives, excess moisture from the cylinders, etc. blah blah. it won't kill the car.
    Oh, c'mon, old cars burned oil like whale eating krill.

did I say leak? I meant flowed oil, like a river.
    IF you think about how hot modern engines run, a little bit of oil up there in the upper cylinder isn't a bad idea. I mean, people spend millions of dollars on aftermarket gasoline additives that are essentially doing the same thing, and yet they are upset when their car does it for free.

Do you work for VW????
  • giniminginimin Posts: 4
    I'd be very concerned about that oil leak. I bought my 2001 Jetta brand new and noticed how it consumed oil right away. I told the dealer, he said it was "normal". I've owned the car 2 years now and it still burns thru oil. In fact, the oil light comes on before 3,000 miles is up. My dealer has finally started the every 1,000 mile test. I'm very disappointed that they wait until after warranty to acknowledge that this isn't "normal" anymore.
  • fhohiofhohio Posts: 10
    Our 2001 Jetta with about 18,000 miles burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. We are doing the oil consumption test right now. Seems to be a relatively common problem with the 2 liter engine. Someone mentioned the warranty, our engine warranty is not just two years, but 10 years or 100,000 miles. Engines are covered longer than the bumper to bumper warranty, I believe.
    NO, I don't work for VW, I just know about engines and I'd like to tell you more about them!

Yeah, a quart every 1,000 miles is troublesome if that's actually what is being consumed.

But 1/2 pint every 4,000 miles is fine, even beneficial.

There have indeed been oil consumption problems with some Jetta engines. This is a known issue and relates to rather excessive and obvious consumption.

The point of the topic is, I think, HOW MUCH oil consumption are we talking about. To use a crude analogy, drinking a quart of water a day is good for you, drinking 4 gallons a day is no good. So it's like that. The issue is not oil-burning per se, but the quantity, and a small quantity of oil burning definitely does not mean a problem is developing for later on in the engine's life. This is a misconception and is cause only for needless worry and complaint.

If your engine is burning 8 ounces every 4,000 miles, relax your car in fine.

VW was doing an oil consumption test. Since my last oil change it burned 1/2 pint in 1,000 miles. It goes through more than that in 4,000 miles. That's why I'm concerned. A mechanic told me that if it was buring oil you could tell by looking at the spark plugs. Is that true? I'm just afraid that the problem is going to get worse. To me a brand new car shouldn't do this.
    Also if I had known that this was a problem with VW's I wouldn't have bought the car.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    The key is the increase in consumption not the Moung of the usage itself. So, a quart in 4000 is fine and it will probably stay that was until well over 100,000 miles. Now if it begins to increase so that it is a quart in 2000 that is cause for concern. Level consumption is fine, increasing is bad
This discussion has been closed.