Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    From what I heard, Mazda cut back RX-8 production for MY 06 to produce more Mazda3's. The NA market is the smallest of Mazda markets, the Mazda3 is a huge global vehicle.

Go to any Mazda dealer, and they will tell you they wish they had more Mazda3's. It's getting to the point where dealers will not swap them out to another dealer because of short supply. I know we are hesitant to swap one out now unless we are receiving one in return.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Whats the siutation with the MX-5 Miata's low inventory anyway does Mazda North America have to fight other markets for production space and cars with the MX-5 Miata like they do with the 3?

At my local Mazda dealer they have a stack of 6's but definately not nearly as many 3's as 6's. I just didn't think that the 3 in its 3rd year of bodystyle would still be having an inventory problem in NA. Chrysler is having the same problem with the Caliber in keeping up with supply even though the Caliber is built in Illinois and not overseaes like the 3 is.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    does Mazda North America have to fight other markets for production space and cars with the MX-5 Miata like they do with the 3?

yup they sure do....this topic is always a hot button for us. We have 30 miata's in January when its 5 degrees and snowing and and 3 in June when everyone wants one..it seems that the dealers in Arizona get their mix at the wrong time also...so its all over not just in some regions.

The mazda ordering/allocation system is a big part of the problem...A few years ago I was 10-14 days from order to delivery...now its 4-5 months. We went from a port allocation system to a factory order system and it is less than perfect to say the least.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    read somewhere that the Mazda 2 is coming... anyone know when?
  • mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    I've been watching, but not heard anything.

The little I have heard is about the next generation:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/07/mazda-helping-ford-develop-subcompact-for-u-s- /

or is just rumour:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/27/mazda-to-join-compact-car-craze/

Wikipedia believes that it will come: "North American sales of the Mazda2 are expected to start in 2007, where other subcompacts (Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Honda Fit) will also debut. It will fill the gap in Mazda's subcompact line since the Mazda 323 hatchback was discontinued for North America in the mid-1990s."

I have also heard that Mazda Canada is thinking of selling it, but there again, only rumours. With all the other major (Asian) cars companies entering this segment, I can't see Mazda staying out for too long. :confuse:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I would love to see the Mazda2 come to North America. I do not think it will be here in 2007. Possibly 2008?

I think it is great that Mazda is starting to carry a full line of vehicles.

I think Mazda Canada is under Mazda North American Operations, which includes the U.S..
  • voltronguyvoltronguy Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if there will be a yaer end clearance or incentives event? I know all the US companies are starting to roll out theirs.
    I read somewhere that a supcompact for the US market will not be put out. Mazda says a supcompact for the US costs too much money too make I think. I don;t believe Mazda is just going to give supcompact sales away to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in the US. Afterall small cars are what Mazda is known for in the US. The last generation Protege and the 3 were and are good sellers in the US.
  • bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    As a former Mazda owner in the '80s who recently returned to the fold (bought an '06 Mazda3 hatchback in January, which I absolutely, totally adore), I think Mazda is clearly on the upswing again. After a stretch of boring and forgettable vehicles in the '90s and early '00s, Mazda has gotten its personality back. The 3 is a great little car and would no doubt sell in greater quantities if inventory weren't so tight. The CX7 and CX9 are the most interesting and sharp-looking crossovers to hit the market since the Nissan Murano.I predict steadily rising sales, and deservedly so.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    CX7 and CX9 in the line-up, I can't imagine why they would bring back the Tribute next year. Here you've got two pretty impressive and carlike crossovers, why add the noisy truckish Tribute to the mix, when it's the same size?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

CX7 and CX9 in the line-up, I can't imagine why they would bring back the Tribute next year

the Tribute returns early next year as a 2008 model. Some folks want the truckish feel...especially if they are towing or travel in some off road situations. Crossovers generally don't tow as well and they are terrible off road.
    I had a friend with a Tribute, and after one look at that suspension I know I would never take one even a foot off the road. Well graded dirt roads, OK. But then, you could get most crossovers down well-graded dirt roads. Besides, the "sporty" suspension of the Tribute would shake you to death if you ever tried to go offroad in it.

Now as for towing, I was thinking about that when I made the original post. Does the Tribute in fact tow significantly more than the CX models?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I would expect the Tribute to last as long as the current-gen Escape, because... why not? Gotta keep that Escape factory from dropping even more in capacity utilization.
    Yes, but did you hear? The current Escape is all done. The all-new-for-'07 is coming any day. The Tribute clone, however, is taking a six-month break. And given the arrival of the CX duo, it seems like it might just be better to let the Tribute's break become permanent.

Now as for towing, I was thinking about that when I made the original post. Does the Tribute in fact tow significantly more than the CX models?

3500lbs vs 2000lbs.

I wasnt talking real off road like a wranger or land Rover defender but things like boat ramps and moderate off road which I have done in the Tribute...
    "I think Mazda is clearly on the upswing again. After a stretch of boring and forgettable vehicles in the '90s and early '00s, Mazda has gotten its personality back."

Well the first portion of the 90's(1990-1994) were good for Mazda. The last portion of the 90's(1995-1999)were denfinately as good as the first portion of the 90's. The early 00's weren't boring it was just that Mazda didn't have alot of new product out they had the 00 MPV and 01 Tribute and that was it before the 03 6 came out. I agree Mazda had gotten its personality back starting with the 99 Protege.

"The CX7 and CX9 are the most interesting and sharp-looking crossovers to hit the market since the Nissan Murano.I predict steadily rising sales, and deservedly so."

Yeah Mazda sales are up 4&% I think this year vs last year(188K in 06 vs 181K in 05) thanks to rising sales of the new MX-5 Miata and new CX-7.
    Doesn't the CX-7 start at 24K-25K or something. Isn;t that a price overlap with the new CX-5 Tribute V6? I know pricing for the 08 CX-5 Tribute isn't out yet but I would think the CX-5 Tribute V6 would be priced in the 24K-25K price range. I wonder if the 08 CX-5 Tribute will offer a standard 4cyl engine along with the V-6 option like the 01-06 model did. I have seen a picture of the 08 CX-5 Tribute and it looks like an "evolution" of the 01-06 model with the Mazda emblem being a little bigger on the front grille than the 01-06 model had it.
    Oh GAWD, TELL me they aren't going to rename the Tribute the CX5!!!

I think I am instituting a new policy for myself: I will no longer buy any car that does not have an actual model NAME instead of some stupid letter-number combo.

Stupidest thing they have done in some time was to rename the Miata the MX-5 (even though everyone but the magazines still calls it the Miata).

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Stupidest thing they have done in some time was to rename the Miata the MX-5 (even though everyone but the magazines still calls it the Miata).

When the car was introduced in 1990, it was originally called the MX-5 Miata. It was the critics that just called it the Miata in the first place, and that's how it came to be. If effect, it's ALWAYS been called the MX-5, they just dropped the "Miata".
    I believe this is a misuse of the phrase "in effect". In EFFECT it has always been called the Miata, by the press and by owners (just check the web for clubs, and decide for yourself). TECHNICALLY, it has always been called the MX-5, I know.

Mazda claims slashed sales to rental fleets asnd a lack of inventory of the Mazda 3 led to their sales decline for the month of October. Mazda is however happy with sales of their CX-7 so far. I think the CX-7 sold around 4.1K-4.2K units last month. Mazda sales still up by 3% this year from 221K last year to 228K units this year.

One more thing after 4 years of being on the market the 3 is still in demand. Thats a heck of a feat! I hope the next generation Mazda 6 sells like the 3 does now.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Investigation follows complaints of engine fires in 2001-03 Escape, Tribute model years.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/AUTO01/611040350/1148-

Rocky
    Will there be a next generation RX-8 sold in the US for the 09 model year since the current RX8 hasn;t sold well at all.? The current RX-8 dates back to being new for the 04 model year so it would be up for redesign for the 09 model year.

If the next RX-8 does come out in the US will it have the 4dr design that it has now or will it switch to a 2dr design like the Nissan 350Z? The current RX-8 just hasn't sold well with its current 4dr design.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The current RX-8 just hasn't sold well with its current 4dr design."

Well, you seem to be insinuating that the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is BECAUSE of the 4dr design. Do you know that this is the case?

I mean, I could just as well state "the current RX-8 just hasn't sold well without offering passion purple as a color choice". But that would be silly. :P

Personally, I think the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is due to a perceived lack of punch from the Renesis motor coupled with some reports of iffy reliability (motor flooding issues mostly) and poor fuel economy for the amount of performance delivered. Plus (obviously) the general publics lack of understanding about rotaries in general.

I don't think the 4dr design has much at all to do with the lack of sales. Personally I've considered an RX-8 for my next purchase ONLY because of the fact that it has a usuable rear seat with decent access.

If the RX-8 comes back, it will have 4 doors. Otherwise, it would be the new RX-7..... ;)
    I have to echo your doubts there. I think the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is a little bit because it is a Mazda (limited exposure/public awareness) but mostly because the two problems they said they had FINALLY kicked when they introduced the new one - gas guzzling and crazy oil consumption - in fact continued unabated. I love rotaries, but they can be hard engines to live with. And as you say, they are prone to flooding on short start/stop cycles, and that problem still hasn't gone away either.

In fact, I would say the four doors and proper back seat are all that stopped more sales from going to the 350Z instead. Not to mention the nice styling! ;-)

I would guess they will call the latest rotary experiment a sales failure, and there won't be a next-gen RX-8. Too bad, the market continues its relentless march to sameness throughout the spectrum of carmakers.

• rickypaulrickypaul Member Posts: 24
    I am a big fan of Mazda. They are innovators in auto design. As a car company it is not afraid to take risks. I don't think that in America, however this translates into success. They've had car designs that have turned the auto industry on its ear, but continue to struggle.

The Miata was not just a cute little roadster. It was an automotive revolution that can still be felt today. In the eighties, cars were boxy, boring, purely functional. Sports cars were heavy and over feature laden. Toyota Corrollas, Honda Accords, ruled the day. America was still making small cars that looked and felt like big cars. The idea of form for form's sake was gone in the auto industry. Like the modern movement in Art and Architecture, form followed function.

And then along comes the Miata. This car was a throwback. A British Roadster remade. The was the first post-modern car. It evoked memories of scarves, driving gloves, and blonde hair blowing in the wind, without the finnicky carburators of your Triumph TR6. It inspired by memory associated with form. The car industry has not been the same since. After the miata came the PT Cruiser, the Chrysler 300, the plymouth prowler... all of the retro cars. The auto industry realized that people could be excited by cars. There would be no New Beetle, or Chrysler 300 without the Mazda Miata.

This company hits home runs in my book consistently with its innovative and somewhat controversial cars. From the Mazda6 that rides just a little too rough for a family sedan, but is a hoot to drive. To the crazy four door sports car with the Rotary Engine. The Mazda3 is the best small car on the market.

I hope this company survives and keeps doing what it does.
  • bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    There is no doubt that Mazda is on a roll. I was a happy Mazda owner in the '80s, then drifted away as Mazda's cars got blander and less distinctive. In January '06 I bought a Mazda3 5-door and absolutely love it. It has the verve and personality that made my '80s Mazdas a kick in the pants, but with the refinement that 2 decades of improved engineering have brought us. The critics almost all rate the 3 as the best small car on the market, and the CX7 and CX9 are the sharpest looking crossovers on the planet. It's good to have the "old" Mazda back again.
  • svt_rssvt_rs Member Posts: 4
    mazda's new lineup is more than good, what mazda needs to work on now, is its reliablity, resale value, customer support, and last but not least, differntiating and distancing itself from Ford motor company.
    Mazda has sold 248K units in 2006 compared to 239K units last year. I think with the introduction of the CX-7 it has bolstered Mazda sales alot though. I think the CX-7 has 18K-19K units year to date in the US since its introduction to the Mazda line-up in June.
    "mazda's new lineup is more than good, what mazda needs to work on now, is its reliablity, resale value, customer support, and last but not least, differntiating and distancing itself from Ford motor company."

Lets take each issue at hand:

reliability: its good with the exception of the RX-8. I think the RX-8 and the outgoing MPV are the only Mazda's that are bad(below average) in reliability by Consumer Reports.

resale value: thats always been the problem with Mazda's they don;t hold their value well as opposed to Honda, Toyota, and Nissan vehicles. Mazda has to tried to slash their use of rebates in the US in the past few months. The Mazda 3 has pretty good resale value from what I hear though.

As for distancing themselves from Ford Mazda will be always be associated in a way to some dismay to Mazda fans. At least Mazda has distanced from being a Honda or Toyota wanna-be in the past few years.

In my opinion Mazda has alot to look foward too with the release of the 08 6 and CX-5 Tribute next year. The last Tribute came out when was a half enthusiast brand(99-03 Protege, Miata) and half bread and butter(98-02 626) and the Millenia. I hope Mazda can gain some kind of buyer reentention with some 6 and 3 buyers buying an 08 CX-5 Tribute. Mazda's buyer rentention rate is the lowest(barring Isuzu)of any major brand thats sold in the US in an 2006 JD power survey where only 26.8 percent of people traded in a Mazda for another Mazda. The industry average for buyer reneention is 47.5 percent I think. The only plus I can think of is Mazda buyer renention on a percentage basis has raised 4.7 percentage points in 2006(26.8.) from a 22.2 percentage buyer reenention rate in 2004.
    Toyota and GM are getting of late bad press that ford is getting Mazda had a good year in 2006 sales wise.

Sales improved to 268K units sold in 2006 compared to 258K units sold in 2005 in the US. The Mazda 3 sold 94K units in 2006, the Mazda 6 sold 66K units, and the CX-7 sold 22k units in 2006.

I expect another good year from Mazda this year: a full year of CX-7, a new Tribute(CX-5) and a new 08 6 will debut.

I kinda like Mazda "flying under the radar" because the focus is on Honda's new 08 Accord, and Caddy's new 08 CTS and nobody says nothing about the 08 6.
  • te1963te1963 Member Posts: 13
    I previously owned an 01 Protege ES 2.0 and an 02 Tribute LX 4WD. They were both excellent cars. The Protege was a little bland looking, but we never had a problem with it. Our son inherited it when he turned 16. He just traded it for an 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. As he said to me when he was talking me into letting him trade the Protege, "Dad, the Protege just isn't a chick magnet." I had to agree. We looked at a Mazda6 when we gave to Protege to our son. The styling was great, but was just too cramped on the inside. We ended up with an Accord EX. The Tribute was a great vehicle too. Much better looking than the Escape IMHO. I was always surprised by how much I could pack into it during trips to Lowes. The 4WD also was great to have during the rush hour snow storms that Indianapolis is famous for. We traded it for a 04 Toyota Sienna when our son grew so tall he was no longer comfortable in the back seat. (He's 6'1" with legs that start at his neck!)
    Mazda's new products look great. The CX-9 and CX-7 have great aggressive styling. The 3 was a huge improvement over the Protege and the 6 looked light years ahead of the old 626. Unfortunately, it seems to me the Mazda6's tighter package scares buyers away who turn to Camcords. With a bigger interior, I think we probably would have bought the 6 over the Accord.
    Here is some real world warranty claim information that some of you might find interesting...

This is a partial post of an article posted on blueovalnews.

Mazda vehicles have claimed the top place in one of the world's largest- ever reports on vehicle reliability. Nearly 92 percent of the Mazda cars studied, including the MX-5 Miata, aged between three and nine years old, suffered no mechanical failure of any type, outperforming all other brands.
    The report, which was issued by independent automotive extended-warranty specialists, Warranty Direct, looked at the reliability of more than 450,000 vehicles from 33 manufacturers, across the United States and United Kingdom. The resulting Reliability League Table' shows the number of failures reported for every 100 vehicles covered by Warranty Direct's policies. Mazda was rated number one with a failure rate of just 8.04 percent of vehicles aged between three and nine years old.

Mazda's score compares to failure rates ranging from 8.90 to 24.98 for vehicles in the top ten.
    they need to keep their position as a styling innovater to keep their sales up in my opinion because other automakers have been taking styling cues off of Mazda's cars lately(Toyota anybody?)

I still haven't seen any pictures of the 08 Mazda 6. What is Mazda being like Honda used to be in keeping their future vehicles spy photo's top secret?

Audi8q: have you seen any pictures of the 08 Mazda 6 because you work at a Mazda dealer. I'm not asking you to post any photo's because they might be against dealer policy but I;m just asking if you saw any photo's of the 08 6?

Oh yeah Mazda sales were up in January 07 by 1,000 units to 19,265 sold vehicles from January of 06.
    I've only seen spy photo's that are heavily disguised.... but it will be a little longer and wider. Larger wheel flares and the 3.5 V6. AWD and a possible hybrid.

http://carspyshots.net/ has some spy photo's of the new MZ6 and alot of other products.
    I saw the spy photo's with the next generation Mazda 6 but the next gen Mazda 6 is set for an 09 model release from what the Detroit news posted. Why? A new Altima has already come out and a New Accord will come out this September for the 08 model year but Mazda is going to another year put a new Mazda 6?

I hope maybe the 09 6 gets released early in 08. There just needs to be some minor improvements to the 6 so can be a 1000-120K seller at most.

Mazda sales were down to 22,067 units from 23.8K for Febuary 07 vs Febuary 06 sales.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Well, March sales were way up, to 37,742...about a 48% increase over March 2006. And YTD through March 31, Mazda sales were up 17.5%. Even the Mazda6, which you are so anxious to see updated has increased sales over 2006.

For their fiscal year that ended March 31, Mazda reported their best sales in the US market in 12 years.

http://media.ford.com/mazda/
    Mazda sales have increased 8.5% from 116K units sold(YTD up to May 2006 period)to 126K units this year so far. Mazda has also seen their US market share increase 0.2% from 1.7% of the US market(YTD up to May 2006) to 1.9%(YTD May 2007.) It seems like the Mazda CX-7 has really caught on with the American Buying Public. I know sales were slow of the CX-7 when it first debut in the US but people learning about the CX-7 and purchasing it.

I don;t get why people had to take time to learn about the CX-7 and the 6 but Mazda can get a hit right out of the gate like the Mazda 3. I don;t get it if buyers want a sports car Mazda with the MX-5 Miata Mazda gets buyers right in the showroom and Mazda also has a heavy following in the compact car segement with the last generation Protege and now the 3 but buyers don;t automatically flock to the showroom and look at the 6 like they do the MX-5 Miata and 3. Why is this?
    Because there are big names in the midsize sedan and crossover games, and Mazda isn't one of them. Same reason they could never sell a minivan here.

The same would be true of the Mazda3, except that it was so far above the rest of its field when it was first released that it received almost universal praise, some in very strong terms. Plus the styling was very popular, grabbing attention on the street. My sister is in love with hers, more than a year after she bought it. :-)

Cars like the Miata, OTOH, are in a class of one or two, so they sell more easily right out of the gate.

"Because there are big names in the midsize sedan and crossover games, and Mazda isn't one of them. Same reason they could never sell a minivan here."

Yeah but I have heard the reason why Mazda couldn;t sell a mini-van here(the last gen MPV)was because it was too small vs other competing mivni-vans.
    "The same would be true of the Mazda3, except that it was so far above the rest of its field when it was first released that it received almost universal praise, some in very strong terms.""

Yeah but the last generation Protege(1999-2003) was a popular car as I said earlier but not as popular as the 3 is.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds counts the MAZDA5 as a compact minivan.

We were just bemoaning the "too small" issue over in Toyota Fearing Hyundai? - the 5 is about 6" longer than my 1989 SWB Plymouth Voyager was.
    Sure the Protege and Pro5 were good cars, but not head and shoulders above the pack like the Mazda3 was when it was introduced. In fact, I thought the Protege sedans were quite ordinary in most respects. The Pro5 was a different ball game, and a good game if you liked sporty economy cars, but that's not everyone's bag. By contrast the 3 competed well with cars costing 20-40% more when it was new. Now the market has finally caught up in many ways.

Mazda's minivan was smaller, but I think they made a wise move by ducking out of the market instead of making it bigger to match the other carmakers. That segment has strong brand loyalty and is basically owned by the 3 manufacturers that divvy it up. No wonder GM and Ford were forced out. And look how Nissan has never been able to make a dent, even with the latest Quest which has some interesting and innovative features.

As for the Mazda5, I think that model is a big hit just waiting for the right powertrain. People see a van that small and expect it to have superlative fuel economy, which it doesn't. Bring a small diesel or a hybrid, Mazda.

"By contrast the 3 competed well with cars costing 20-40% more when it was new. Now the market has finally caught up in many ways."

The only car I would am really worried about taking away Mazda 3 sales with me being a Mazda fan is the new Mitsu Lancer. In my opinion Mitsu hit it right this time with the new Lancer plus with the a new EVO coming out soon Mitsu have some major momentum on their side and may see huge sales of their Lancer Line of cars. I think Mitsu may build up some huge streed cred with their Lancer line of cars as well. I know Mitsu has major street cred with the EVO but this generation of Lancer we may even see tuners souping up Lancers in base model trims(non-EVO trims.)

The only other car that really gets compared head to head with the 3 is the Civic but I think these 2 cars are cross-shopped a huge amount of the time with new car buyers and have been for the last few years.
    Well, the Civic is a very important competitior. I would think the 3i would be cross-shopped with lots of the competing brands, including Hyundai. I have heard all these things about the new Elantra, I really must get in to take a look at it for myself.

And of course the new Corolla is due out early next year, which will give the 3i a run for its money too. And if GM doesn't drop the ball there will be a new Cobalt for '09 if memory serves, which may just be the cat's meow too, who knows.

The 3s has less competition, but there are still worthy contenders, including the new Lancer as you say. The Sentra is out of the running I think, but the Caliber has proven fairly popular and the R/T gives the 3s some competition too. Scion is bringing its game power-wise this time around, and you can still get Imprezas for the same price as the 3s and get AWD to boot.

The competition is out there, and there will be more. The market HAS caught up to the 3, which is why they are now selling at significant discounts (in my area, and especially the 3i) IMO. But no car is new forever. Hopefully Mazda will take just as big a leap ahead with the next 3 as they did with this one.

"As for the Mazda5, I think that model is a big hit just waiting for the right powertrain. People see a van that small and expect it to have superlative fuel economy, which it doesn't. Bring a small diesel or a hybrid, Mazda."

Mazda I don't think has ever installed a deisel or hybrid system in their car.

"Mazda's minivan was smaller, but I think they made a wise move by ducking out of the market instead of making it bigger to match the other carmakers. That segment has strong brand loyalty and is basically owned by the 3 manufacturers that divvy it up. No wonder GM and Ford were forced out. And look how Nissan has never been able to make a dent, even with the latest Quest which has some interesting and innovative features. "

As far as Nissan is concerned this generation of Quest(2004+) when it first debut it had qualiy issues and the layout of the control interior was too star-ship enterprise if you will. Nissan did make improvenents with the interior layout a couple years ago but it was too little too late if you will and some of the quality issues of year one some of those quality issues still exist. Even Consumer Reports rates reliability of the Quest very unfavorably to this day of the 2004+ Quest.

As far as Ford is concerned well the well the Windstar was a decent seller I think but I have alot of horror stories on Edmunds about its quality/reliability(or lack there of.) In my opinion, Ford didn;t make enough improvements for the Freestar over its Windstar predessor so thats why Ford dropped out of the mini-van market: basically Ford just quit the mini-van with the Freestar. I wonder if Alan Mullulay was at Ford a couple years ago if the Freestar would still exist or if Mullulay would have sent the engineers(at the time) to make some revisions on the existing Freestar.
    "I have heard all these things about the new Elantra, I really must get in to take a look at it for myself."

Yeah the Elantra is really a nice car and I have sat in one but have never driven it.

"Scion is bringing its game power-wise this time around, and you can still get Imprezas for the same price as the 3s and get AWD to boot."

Yes Subie is a very viable competitor to Mazda. As a matter fact one of my mom's co-workers just traded in I think a Miata for a Subie Legacy. She looked at Mazda's because she had the Miata but ended up with the Legacy.

"Hopefully Mazda will take just as big a leap ahead with the next 3 as they did with this one."

I hope your right because the 3 is to Mazda currently as the 3 Series is to BMW: it just a car that sets the tone and shows or defies what the Mazda brand is about.

"And if GM doesn't drop the ball there will be a new Cobalt for '09 if memory serves, which may just be the cat's meow too, who knows."

Gm is having problems with the heads of the UAW in the plant where the current Cobalt is made. GM wants wants its workers to take on more working tasks if you will and cut workers overtime at that plant where the Cobalt is made but the Union has put its foot down from what I have read on the Detroit news a couple months ago I think. I'm surprised GM even scheduled a new generation Cobalt for an 09 release because the current Cobalt came out for the 05 model year so the existing Cobalt's last year on the market would be 08. Gm is on a 4 year model cycle with a car? Thats rare for GM.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I agree that it seems like a great idea in search of a better (or more suitable) engine. It is probably OK around town, but I worry about using it to replace my Odyssey. That would be family trips, 4 people, lots of crap, and whomping along on the highway at 75 through the hills of NY.

The 5 could probably manage, but it would seriously be sucking wind, plus might not get much better mileage than the Honda! (25ish on a trip).

I think they should make a sport model, using the MSP3 or CX-7 turbo engine. If they would make a version with the turbo and 6 speed, and add arm rests, I would trade my wife out of the Maxivan in a heartbeat (might even tell her first!)

I like the size of the 5, especially for 4 people. With a HP infusion, look out!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Mazda I don't think has ever installed a deisel or hybrid system in their car.

The 2, 3, 5, 6 and everywhere-but-here compact pickup are all available with diesels in other markets.
    Speaking of which, I would love to see Mazda be the one to bring the truly-compact pick-up back to America. Heck, if they can sell a microvan, why not a real compact pick-up (Ranger, of course, is ducking out for good some months hence here)? Again, they would be in a class of one, unless Ford wanted to pick it up and sell it as a Ford as well (which wouldn't be a bad idea for Ford, IMO).

Now of course, with everyone (even little Subie) talking about when they will have their 50-state diesels ready for consumption, you know who's NOT talking about that? Mazda. And it was sad news when they decided not to try to sell the Mazda2 here. They are going to let Ford try to do so under the Ford brand instead? Why would they wimp out there yet go full steam ahead on trying to sell a microvan here?