Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    I'd hate to see Mazdas turn into Fiats.

Sorry, but it's begun.

"Fiat SpA — the parent company of Chrysler Group LLC — today announced a new alliance with Mazda Motor Corp.

The two companies signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding to jointly develop and manufacture two new rear-wheel-drive roadsters based on Mazda's next-generation MX-5 platform: a new Miata and an as yet unnamed Alfa Romeo. The cars will be produced at Mazda's factory in Hiroshima beginning in 2015."

Fiat announces alliance with Mazda (Detroit News)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Yeah I just saw it about 10 minutes ago. Felt like I'd been run through.
    edited May 2012
    On the bright side, initially at least, Fiats will turn into Mazdas. An Alfa that runs like a Miata wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Except that Fiat is about 10 times bigger than Mazda, which means eventually it'll be the other way around. One of the reasons Mazda didn't mind Ford pulling out was because they were turning into Ford Japan, building restyled Focuses and Fusions, and not-restyled Tributes, while basically being Ford's 4-cyl engine division.
    edited May 2012
    Looking at the bottom line, I think Mazda was hurt pretty badly by Ford pulling out.

Salient quote in that story:

"Mazda has lost money for four straight years."

Better that a little Fiat DNA wind up in their cars than going the Saab route?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,158
    An Alfa that runs like a Miata wouldn't be a bad thing.

Agree 100%! Alfa does have a really good styling dept.

A little Fiat DNA is fine. But when they start selling re-badged Fiats, Chryslers, or god help us Jeeps, I'm going to have a problem. :sick:
    "Rather than investing in plug-in or hybrid technologies - the way pretty much all its rivals have been doing - Mazda has channelled its funds into conventional engine and transmission research, as well as into a string of measures to reduce the weight of its cars' architecture."

Mazda bets on internal combustion engine (BBC)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Yes of course, because it's a lot more expensive to develop plug-in and hybrid technologies than to make your cars a little lighter and add direct injection....

Makes me wonder why all the car companies didn't make the effort to lighten their cars years ago, instead of whining that all the required safety gear these days made it INEVITABLE that even small cars weigh a ton and a half or more now. How funny that now its suddenly perfectly plausible to reduce weight by hundreds of pounds while maintaining price constraints and keeping all that onerous safety gear in there, LOL!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I wonder if the crash test video of the little Smart car a few years back convinced people that light cars can be relatively safe (still depends on what you hit I guess).
    "The last Mazda using the rotary, which won fans with its ability to generate more power than traditional power plants of the same size, will roll off the assembly line this month at the company's Hiroshima factory and headquarters.

The only unprofitable Japanese automaker said it believes demand for more environmentally friendly cars will continue to grow and help it post its first profit in five years."

Mazda's famed rotary engines roll to end of road this month (Detroit News)
    "The last Mazda is expected to roll off the assembly line in Flat Rock today as the Japanese automaker hands the keys to the plant back to its one-time parent, Ford Motor Co.

Known as AutoAlliance International, the plant has been run as a joint venture between Ford and Mazda since 1992, producing the Mazda6 sedan and the Ford Mustang muscle car.

Workers will mark the end of Mazda production with a small ceremony inside the plant today, but neither automaker is keen to draw attention to the event."

Mazda bows out in Flat Rock (Detroit News)
    Well, it's not like they own the place, Ford owns it.

Maybe Mazda can buy one of those GM plants that they'll need to auction off. :shades:
    edited August 2012
    That's how Mazda initially wound up in Flat Rock - bought the factory and refurbed it before Ford came along and bought them out. With the currency savings, Mazda could afford to build a new US factory - the yen is going to kill them at home.
    They've already got that project in Mexico going on, I doubt they have the resources to get another North American plant started. Though I'd love to see something on this side of the pond churning out the Mazda3 and the CX-5.
    edited August 2012
    Is the Mazda 3 different from the Mazda3? Pardon me, the MAZDA3. I hate these naming schemes - does anyone really call their Miata an MX-5?

The interesting sentence in my link said that Mullaly thought that the Ford engineers were relying too much on Mazda. I always liked that alliance but guess a 30 year run was pretty good.
    The official model name is MAZDA3, so technically it's a Mazda MAZDA3. :shades:

That's generally what people call it too, so it makes sense. Anyway, Mually was right, Mazda was pretty much designing all of Ford's small cars and engines. The 2L in the Focus is a massaged MZR.
    "Under the agreement announced Friday, Mazda will annually produce 50,000 subcompacts, based on the Mazda2 but under the Toyota brand by mid-2015. Toyota Motor Corp. will invest in equipment and other costs for the production increase, both sides said."

Mazda to produce Toyota-brand vehicles in Mexico (Detroit News)
    I wonder if one of the conditions of the deal was an anti-compete clause? That would explain Mazda removing the Mazda2 from the US lineup.

So now we'll get the ToyotaSpeed2? So long as Toyota isn't designing Mazda's cars, I really don't like Toyotas.