Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freestar vs Windstar

2»

Comments

• svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ...Randy that is worth a try, I can get my friend (the gm at the Ford dealership) to that for me...my next concern is the power hatch which will be available later on ...wonder how late..but at any rate it will be worth waiting a while all around....where are you located?...let me know as soon as you get your Freestar...I can't wait for your review...
  • trainboytrainboy Posts: 66
    Ralph, we cannot make the cake bake any faster unfortunatley, so we will have to wait. As far as rating it, we don't have any interest in the power hatch and we really want to get rid of my wife's 96 Windstar as that it is approaching 80K miles soon. That being said, we will give the dealer our order ASAP. I work for GE so we are a buying partner and qualify for "X" plan. My dealer seems amiable to accepting an order now. I agree that the power rear hatch might be nice for some folks, personally, we just don't see it for us. The power side door option is ok for us and we are ordering that.

If you have a buddy that is a GM for a Ford dealership, then you probably can get better info from you friend. Is it worth waiting for? Your call....

One thing that I am picking up is that the 3rd row seat will be vinyl on the Freestar SE. Living in a hot area in Central Calif, we may opt to move over to the Mercury Monterey, which has cloth in the 3rd row. I have to check this out with my dealer friends.

Good luck.....
    Randy
    yes I will wait but maybe it will be longer than I thought. My wife is 5'1" tall and the power hatch will be a great help, (if you know what I mean...?...). The 3rd seat, even in my Limited 2002 Explorer is vinyl, that is usually the way it is even in my 2001 Windstar it was vinyl.. Isn't the X plan invoice price?...I guess you will go for the SE model but I don't know how receptive the dealer is going to be in placing orders since they are getting aloted units by FORD regionals..but maybe in CA things are a little different as far as dealers are concern..you waiting a couple of months may give you some choices in the selection, just my 2 cents..at any rate good luck to you...I will look forward to your impressions after you get to drive one..good luck
    Ralph, If you wife is 5'-1" you probably should wait to see if this option meets your needs. The rear hatch is high when extended. My wife and I are 6' tall, so it is not as much as an issue. Also, the rear of our van tends to have permanent kid toys in it. The power side doors do appeal to us after looking at them. good luck...
    I did request a quote for a Toyota XLE AWD from one of the services in the internet and I was expecting a sticker price, but what I did not expect was a $41,900 sitcker!!!!! from one of the local dealers,even thou the suggested price for the van (sticker) was around $34,000, these guys are taking orders but the appear to be pushing the all loaded XLE (I wanted only one additional package)...the Freestar continues to look beter and better every day that passes by. No wonder TOYOTA has lost a lot of sales in the van market, according to automotive reports...happy motoring and be selective....
    Ralph, it is great that you got the quote, but have you driven it yet? Before you waste a bunch of energy getting quotes, go drive one. Is it easy to parallel park? How about your grocery store parking lot? It is easy to drive around the block, but try it as you will use it. That is when you will see if you can see over the corner of the van. Try to get as close as possible on the model level, but take it for a drive. We read all of the stuff about the Toy Sienna and the Honda Ody and they looked good, UNTIL WE DROVE THEM. It wasn't right for my wife and I, and the stuff that we didn't like wasn't in the specs.

Bottom line, drive it early on and be sure you like a similar unit. We can get all caught up in the specs and then get our hearts broken behind the wheel. We know what a Windstar is like and as much as we hate to say it, the Freestar will probably be just as boring, but we know the product....
    Randy, you must be kidding me.......with this price tag the TOYOTA, and for what i hear the HONDA also, can go fly a kite. I don't care how good or how bad they are I will never $41,000 for a van...that is why I went to Windstars since 96. When it comes to TOYOTA or HONDA one always has to pay high prices and I for one think that the quality of the American car/van is right up there and the prices are more reasonable. granted that I like the features in the Sienna but not that much. I know that the Freestar will just do fine by us...I am still shock with that price and full sticker.The internet services by Edmonda and others is just a joke most of the time. This dealer sales people want to get you in so they can "sell" you. But it was a good expirience (for the second time, I have tried them before). I just wanted to share my expirience...
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Drove by the plant yesterday, lots of Freestars sitting on the shipping yard. They don't look a lot different but hopefully they are an improvement over the Windstar.
  • Please continue here:
    Freestar vs Windstar

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

2»
This discussion has been closed.