Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• Options
    koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    A few negatives,

-outside temp gage can only be seen by the driver
    -wish I had the upgraded sound system (base version has very poor sound)
    -Eats gas
    -
  • Options
    tfaithtfaith Member Posts: 2
    I am getting my new 2007 MDX delivered next week and I am concerned about the handling problems in the snow. Does the problem reside in the tires or the SH-AWD system. Is it a combination of both?? If it is the tires any recommendations on a good winter/all season tire to replace what is standard from the factory?
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    wish I had the upgraded sound system (base version has very poor sound)
    What base version?
  • Options
    I know it's the tires. The MDX has tires that are made for performance. This SUV can take an exit ramp at 60 mph just like a BMW but the tires have a large flat traction area and I didn't feel nearly as confident in the snow as my old Highlander. The car does drive great and it does go through the snow, just drive carefully.
  • Options
    tfaithtfaith Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I have a call into the dealer about this. He did breifly explain to me that the 2007 MDX is the RL platform and the drive system is the same and there have been no complaints with the RL in snow. Now what tires should I get for the winter? I am not sure if I want to go with all season for year round or Snow tires for the winter time. PA isn't the worst for winters. To be determined.
  • Options
    RL and MDX don't share platform. They do share the AWD system (although it is tuned differently). That said, MDX comes with regular all-season (not high performance) rubber.
  • Options
    somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    Which tires do you have? There are 2 stock tires, the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 and the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. They are quite different tires and it may make a big difference as to which one is on your MDX.

For you info, I have an RLS with the SHAWD and with its stock tires (which are only average for snow) this car and AWD system handle incredibly in snow (I drive in Mammoth Mountain in feet of snow without problems).

Thanks for letting us know and lets hear from others who have these tires and how the MDX performs with them on snow.
  • Options
    rrpadenrrpaden Member Posts: 1
    Got my 2007 MDX at the end of November. I have the same problem. I get a low-pitch hum @ 75mph. I had the tech from Acura drive with me on the highway and he could hear it as well. He later drove another MDX that was on the lot and said he heard the noise in that one, too. He said he thought it was in the drivetrain. He suggested that I wait to hear from Acura before he started taking apart my car to try to find the noise and fix it. The noise is VERY annoying and I can hear it over the car stereo once I hit 75 mph. At the moment, I'm waiting, but I've about had enough. I spent a lot on this car and I don't feel like I should have to be dealing with this odd noise.

Anyone heard from Acura on a solution to this?
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    We are in the process of getting rid of our '06 Odyssey with NAV + RES due to a list of problems (will spare you the grief & not discuss).

Does anyone know if all '06 MDX's have a 3rd row seat? We are looking at a Touring/NAV/RES. I can buy the '06 leftover pretty cheap but probably will regret not waiting a few months for the '07 to drop a little in price.
  • Options
    dogwhistledogwhistle Member Posts: 17
    Yes, all MDXs (regardless of year) have a 3rd row seat, and Yes, you will probably regret not getting an '07 over an '06. JMHO
  • Options
    88778877 Member Posts: 5
    I do drive 04 MDX and I do have the same humming noise around 75ML (120klm).They say it's normal,I am going to get the 07 soon, and I hope the noise isn't there. I am waiting to see if some problems are fixed the 1st 3,4 months.
    Also in Canada we have 2 less exterior colours and 2 interior. I don't know why, or rather I know.
    The 04 is my 2nd .I had 01 also and had no problems at all
    Great SUV, Hope the new design is great also.
    Thanks
  • Options
    The 04 MDX was the only year with the humming noise. This was a huge problem because this was the first year the MDX switched to the duel exhaust system which created a harmonic hum as the air passed through the duel exhaust at highway speeds. It was just like a musical instrument. They fixed this problem in the 05.
  • Options
    I now have 1,000 miles on my new MDX and coming from a Toyota Highlander I do have some complaints about the MDX.
    -Wind & road noise through the doors (especially on wet pavement)
    -steering straight is a chore, constantly pulls to the right and I have to fight it.
    -Drivers seat has a seam in a bad place which makes it very uncomfortable after a while.
    -a rattle coming from the dash somewhere????
  • Options
    ebbyebby Member Posts: 23
    I have not yet purchased the MDX but have done 4 drive tests. The last one I was given the keys of a Sport Package without the salesman and I drove it for 45 minutes on different roads. Here are my observations (some are probably repititions of what others have observed).

1) acceleration is leisurely but "sufficient" by any standards.
    2) Engine is free-revving allowing you to tap the horsepower and torque "juicy spots" quickly
    3) There is a considerable difference between the Comfort and Sport Modes. When you get to rough road sections, you will appreciate the Comfort mode. It is superb.
    4) Handling is very very good for an SUV. The MDX uses the SH-AWD technology to accomplish what BMW uses excellent chassis tuning to achieve. It is commendable for an SUV
    5) Exceptional high speed stability. This is where the 300 hp shines. Forget about the leisurely acceleration. When this beast gathers momentum, there is nothing holding it back
    6) The MDX is one of few modern engines that makes 300 hp at or below 6000 rpm.
    7) Peak torque is at 5000 rpm or so, but 95% of the torque is actually available at 3000 rpm or so
    8) MDX does not look like a serious 7-seater transportation to me. But the 3rd row is still better than most I have seen in most SUVs.
    9) Cluster of buttons on the dash does not look bad on the Sport Package. As you live with the car, you find it more enjoyable.
    10) The 2007 MDX represents an exceptional value in the SUV market today. The Sport package is highly recommdended. The perforated leather seats actually look better than the base. IMO I prefer the Sport Wheels too.
    11) You can't go wrong with the 07 MDX.
    12) I am still going thro a Decision Analysis to determine if I should trade in my Infinity M35 or wait a while. Both vehicles are very close in driving dynamics (kudos to the SH-AWD and Honda/Acura's good steering weigthing and feedback). The other pluses on the MDX include the extra ground clearance, SH-AWD and the plus-2 seats for my family of 6.
  • Options
    tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    How easy to use is the navigation sytstem on the new MDX, which is now controlled by the "the knob" (as I call it) instead of the touch screen version on earlier MDXs? It seems like it might be more of a pain (not as easy) to use.
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    it can also be controlled via voice commands. The easiest way of all.
  • Options
    socalmarksocalmark Member Posts: 6
    I have an '06 TSX with the touch screen and the '07 MDX. The "knob" is very easy to use and I don't see it as a back step from the touch screen at all. Once you begin using the voice commands and it becomes natural, you will not touch the "knob" much at all. The other advantage is that you don't get finger prints all over your screen and the screen is easier to read.
  • Options
    88778877 Member Posts: 5
    I have a feeling that the knob will be easier than the touch screen. (new GPS)
    Is anyone out there that knows the difference between the 18 and 19" wheels? (I know 1") Would you sit higher ? Ride will be different? or no noticeable difference. Thanks
  • Options
    brauch15brauch15 Member Posts: 4
    We test drove both the 18" and 19". Being common folk, we didn't notice a difference, but I asume that if you we the type to notice these kinds of things, the ride might be choppier. Luclily. there is a comfort mode on the optional sport package suspention. We're gettiin our MDX tommorow, with all the packages but 18" wheels.
  • Options
    brauch15brauch15 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any pics of the Bordeaux leather interior???
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    There are some on the vtec of temple. . . .
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It's not Temple of VTEC? :surprise: ;)
  • Options
    rons3rons3 Member Posts: 3
    I have several photos I took this week. Just don't know how to get them to you. Tried to attach them to this message, but it didn't work.

Let me know what I need to do . It looks quite good with this interior.

Thanks !
    Ron
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A good place to park them is in your CarSpace album.

Just login to your page, Manage Albums, Add Album and then browse and upload your photos. Or check the Help link there at the bottom of the page.
  • Options
    rons3rons3 Member Posts: 3
    OK, thanks for help ! They are now in photos . See MDX Aspen White / Bordeaux
  • Options
    Love the white. :)

Here's a link your album:

MDX Aspen Pearl / Bordeaux
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    ron,

looks nice :)

Rocky
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    It is TOVtec but I was trying to be subtle, perhaps needlessly. :-)

There is an article around Thanksgiving where they took out a black MDX with bordeaux interior. I thought the interior was stunning from the pics.
  • Options
    rrhdrrhd Member Posts: 4
    Does the price for the upgrade to the 19 inch wheels include tires or would the tire cost be extra?
  • Options
    wessewwessew Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone provide real world mileage results for the 2007 MDX? I'm particularly interested in mixed use driving under everyday circumstances.
  • Options
    dogwhistledogwhistle Member Posts: 17
    I've got 1100 miles on ours now, and haven't reset the trip B average MPG. It shows 16.8 for the whole period, which was about 30-70 highway/city.
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    Mine just turned over 4500 miles (Sport + Entertainment) and I've been averaging about 17MPG around town (DC area) and a little over 19 on trips (averaging speed at about 80MPH). I believe I'll see better gas mileage when it goes over 5000.
  • Options
    wessewwessew Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I have a 2005 MDX and I am considering upgrading. Currently I am getting about 17.5 mpg with an engine HP rating of only 260--well below the current model. I think you are correct about expecting some improvement after breakin. It is good to know that the mileage has not suffered even with the substantial improvement in HP and torque.
  • Options
    With 1,500 miles I'm averaging 16 city and 20.5 highway.
  • Options
    stevenlgtsstevenlgts Member Posts: 11
    I have been reading quite a bit about the MDX and it is on the top of the list, along with the Q7 and XC90! I am disappointed in the performance of the vehicle with 300hp! I have read a 0-60 time of 8.1 sec! My F150 with 305 hp does 0 to 60 in 8.9 sec! This is not a comparison but a statement! These power numbers sound wierd to me!
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I'm not sure where you got your data from but I just received my new Car and Driver and they claim a 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds for the 2007 MDX.
  • Options
    natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    My dads got 800 miles on his. Around town (NY Upper Hudson Valley) he's getting around 17-19. He also driving like there are a 1000 loose eggs in the trunk. Hasn't gone on the highway yet.
  • Options
    As already pointed out, C&D got MDX to do 0-60 in 7.3s which is quite good for a 4700 lb AWD brick that isn't geared well for a great 0-60 run (you need to look at BMWs for that). Given the gearing, MDX's strength is in mid-range punch and per my calculations, it happens to be in 40-70 mph range.

That said, I won't call 8.1s disappointing at all. That used to be "fast midsize sedan" territory just a few years ago. With similar power to weight ratio, that isn't surprising at all. By comparison, Edmunds tested Audi Q7 V8 (that is rated at 350 HP) doing 0-60 in 8.3s.
  • Options
    husker11husker11 Member Posts: 1
    My wife is looking for a new vehicle. She has narrowed the options to the MDX and the Lexus GX. Yesterday we took a test drive in the MDX. We both noticed a vibration when we sat in the right secnd seat - almost like the tire or suspension was attached to the seat. Anyone else ever notice this?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We cross-shopped the MDX and GX in 2005. Until my wife was given a GX to use for a day. In the event you have kids and/or carry stuff, the 3rd row accessibility / storage capacity of the GX is woefully inadequate. She found the Volvo XC90 V8 to be better than the GX in that department, and it's even well short of ideal.

If the GX is just for carrying 4 or fewer adults, it's a fine vehicle.
  • Options
    Zman,
    I got those numbers from the two articles located here on Edmunds site. One was labelled Full Test and the other was Test Drive. One article claims 8.0 (0-to-60) and the other claims 8.1! That's the only sources that I have for the 2007 MDX. I am not saying Edmunds right, I am saying that the numbers don't add up. My F150 is over 1000lbs heavier and shouldn't get anywhere close to the times of an MDX!
  • Options
    I believe that the First Drive: 2007 Acura MDX article was referring to the results on the 2003 test results, although I don't see numbers for '03 off-hand.

"The last time we tested an MDX was way back in 2003 when it was rated at just 240 hp. Even then, the MDX ran to 60 mph in about 8 seconds and we suspect the 2007 MDX will easily eclipse that modest performance." (Note the "about").

The Full Test: 2007 Acura MDX story does say 8.1:

"It's in the middle and upper ends of the rev range where the smooth six pulls with enthusiasm, running the truck from zero to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds on its way to a quarter-mile in 16 seconds at 88.9 mph." (Note that it apparently didn't "easily eclipse that modest performance").
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Just out of curiosity, which magazine gave you the 8 second figure for your F150? Different mags have different testing methodologies. And, of course, testing conditions will vary between tests.
  • Options
    There are several published numbers but here is my source
    link title
  • Options
    Numbers do add up (see my post above). Although initially you said that you weren't drawing a comparison between F150 and MDX, now you seem to be.

Assuming that you have 4WD/Supercab with 5.4/V8, the difference in curb weight is 700 lb. The additional weight, and only slightly higher peak horsepower (305 HP compared to 300 HP) is reflected in the difference in 0-60 run.

8.1s time for 0-60 isn't really "close" to a run in 8.9s. It can be considered substantial. And then you can throw in the number that C&D got from the MDX (7.3s in 0-60).
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    And I wasn't diputing what you were saying, I didn't know where your data was coming from and was simply pointing out that C&D testing showed it quite a bit quicker. Is one right and the other wrong? I have no idea.

Karl
  • Options
    Listen folks! I just posed a question! If 8.1 sec and 8.9 sec is significant than so is 7.3 sec (C & D) and 8.1 (Edmund's)!
    The F150 4x4 weighs about 5500 lbs, the MDX 4575. That's about 1000 lbs. The number that C & D reported for the MDX sounds right (7.3)! 8.1 does not sound right! That's my point..period! I am not comparing my truck to the MDX,it was an easy example! Re-read my initial message and you will see that I am questioning how Edmunds got 8.1!! I am seriously looking at buying a MDX and was wondering if anyone else thought that number sounded a bit slow!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    LOL. Things do tend to run amuck here, don't they...

Yes, I think the Edmunds number is a bit slow. I think when we get more data to compare, we'll probably find the MDX runs an average of 7.5 seconds or so.

Lightening fast? No. But I don't think the MDX was meant to be a drag racer. Acura was going for canyon carver with this machine. Get it going and throw it into turns. That's where they hope people will find the fun. The engine is just there so you can go from one corner to the next with as little time wasted as possible. And the reviews do suggest that it's plenty fast once you get it off the line.

Whether that sort of thing appeals to you is the question.

p.s. MT publishes the single best time for a vehicle. They might get runs of 10.1, 9.5, and 8.5, but the one they publish is 8.5 seconds.
  • Options
    Thanks V. I think 7.3-7.5 is definitely the right range!
  • Options
    Somewhere around here is a whole story on how Edmunds conducts the instrumented testing of reviewed cars, altitude adjustments, etc.

Naturally I can't find the durn article now. :blush:
This discussion has been closed.