Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• kbhaktakbhakta Posts: 17
    A while back you stated that there were no rain sensing wipers.

I was going through the MDX interactive showroom on the Acura website and under Visability, there is a mention of aerodynamic wipers that are rain sensing.

Now that you have the vehicle, can you confirm that the wipers are rain sensing?
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    No, it doesn't come with "rain-sensing" wipers ~ not even as an option! However, it does have a feature called "speed-sensing" wipers — when you put it in INTermittent, "the length of the wipe interval is varied automatically according to vehicle speed."

I'd rather have the rain-sensing feature!
  • Thanks for the response. After reading the forum "problems and solutions" from the past, there was a recall for the 01' and 02' for transmission problems which affected about 2-4% of the MDX's. Hopefully the bugs won't be to bad this time around.
  • kbhaktakbhakta Posts: 17
    Wow, I guess the marketing guys messed up on the website then, I'm betting it will be removed soon as more people notice. Seems like a weird feature to drop.

No standard auto dimming rear view mirror is weird as well, I had the same problem on my Honda Ridgeline. Not sure if Honda is cutting costs in odd places or simply doesn't feel these technologies are very important.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    This is one of those features that once you have it on a car you never want to go back to the manual type.

It's a shame (and surprising) it is not included in this suv.
  • They will probably have the rain sensing wipers in the 08. Since the back window is tinted, there is really no need for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I will wait for the 08 before buying. By then, they will hopefully get all the kinks out and I could pick one up at invoice or lower. No need to pay MSRP, unless you have a boatload of cash. Car sales are down and a recession may follow.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    They will probably have the rain sensing wipers in the 08. Since the back window is tinted, there is really no need for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I don't agree with that. If dimming feature on a rear view mirror is unnecessary with tinted glass, why even have that feature manually operated? Just don't put it there, and things would be fine! It is another of those ridiculous oversights by AHM. Couple of years down the road, they will come back claiming... new feature added... auto dim rear view mirror. I can see that as an option in mainstream cars like Accord, but not as an option in a $40-48K vehicle.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Are we talking recalls, bugs, or design ommissions? I assumed the poster meant problems in general.

In which case, there was the "weeping mirrors", the sloshing gas tank, the thin windshield, the misaligned hatch clasp, the vibrating woofer cover, and many others which I can't recall off the top of my head. There's a Problems & Solutions thread you can sort through.

I'm sure the new MDX will have a few new ones. I'm also fairly certain the new X5 will have more.
    I'd miss the wipers.

Could care less about the auto-dimming mirror. As soon as it gets dark, the thing goes to dim and stays dim. It's difficult to see with.

Same with my wife's TL.
    In TL, you could turn off the auto feature and operate it manually. Even as it is, auto dimming triggers with headlights turned on.
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    I don't know who decided this, but it's a really bad idea. Breaking items up into micro-discussions will squelch the (valuable) rambling and thought provoking discussions that exist in the general vehicle areas. We tried this at work and the end result is that people just stopped contributing to technical discussions because they didn't know exactly which topic their offering should go under. I don't know the inner workings of the carspace forums, but a better scheme (albeit more work for the hosts) would be for the hosts to scan the general forums & copy (not move) out discussions into the appropriate specific topics so that users have the option of reading the general discussion like a book, or going to the specific discussion as a reference guide.
    I don't know who decided this, but it's a really bad idea. Breaking items up into micro-discussions will squelch the (valuable) rambling and thought provoking discussions that exist in the general vehicle areas.

I second that. I hate too much dilution of topics.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Gene, thanks for your comments.

I recommend using the Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members discussion for general chat. If issues of sufficiently general interest arise, then you can post or repost your questions in the appropriate topic or recommend to noobs where to post their questions. Of course, I'm sure you'll all be delighted to jump into it and help them out!

A "Meet the Members!" title signals to people seeking solutions to problems and other issues that it's not a primary source of data and, if needed, the more experienced members can help direct them to where they need to be while all of you get to "socialize" and conduct thought provoking discussions.

Overall, I believe that the new structure will make it far easier for people find specific information.

tidester, host
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 163
    Just My $.02, but i don't get it. I have tracked several discussions and now they are "read only" and there is no place to post a general thought or observation.

ps, did Edmunds sell the forums to Car Space? Why the name changes?

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

• stv187stv187 Posts: 4
    test drove one on 10/19. my impression in two words: very nice! i'm not sure about 300 hp but i didn't push it to 6000 rpms so who knows.. anyway, as i was ready to lease it (tech package for 36 months) dealer's ## didn't seem right. i'm not the greatest bargan hunter, but looked like salesman believed he's selling ice-cream on 120 degree day. with residual value about 70% (about 44K MSRP) and dealer refusing to knock off even 1$ or kicking in roofrack or anything else, i just walked away with the following thoughts:
    07 MDX is a good car, but so is competion, as M-Benz (.5 miles away from Acura dealer) has 3 great trucks almost in the same price range, Q7, and X5 will be here in no time, etc. 5 years ago there was a loooooong wait. today, 4 days after indroduction of 07MDX, dealer (while refusing to admit) had 3 (three) new ones on his lot looking for generous buyers. by X-mas, Acura will be begging. next year Honda Pilot will sell the same machine 5-7k's cheaper. bottom line: nice truck, just wait a bit... :)
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    "bottom line: nice truck, just wait a bit... :)"

Agree 100%!

Also, If I'm that dealership you went to, I'd hold off until a buyer comes around willing to pay TOP $$ -- for right now. Some people WILL pay top prices for the latest and greatest.

The MDX will be EVERYWHERE in a few months and demand will taper off.

In a few months it'll be back to business as usual.
    now they are "read only" and there is no place to post a general thought or observation.

Some hosts chose to make discussions read only right away. Steve and I are keeping the general SUV discussions open for a short time. We're suggesting a move to Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members for general discussions. Meet you there! :)

did Edmunds sell the forums to Car Space? Why the name changes?

CarSpace is an edmunds.com creation originally intended to allow members to post pictures and so on (and eventually BLOG!) but people liked the name so much the company adopted it for the general Forums.

tidester, host
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    The last post in 'meet the members' was in June. As a title of a general discussion forum, it's pretty lousy. To me it implies biographies of the people who post in other discussions. Sending a general MDX discussion there makes no sense. Thanks to the 'Search this Discussion' box, information is relatively easy to find in any discussion, even in a 5,000 post topic. If anything, improve the search engine for discussions, don't kill them off completely (as I believe this move will do) by micro-categorizing the topics.
  • bumbiebumbie Posts: 18
    It was very nice, but felt a little, a little sluggish and this was to my surprise MDX lovers. I got on it pretty hard, a little tentative obviously since it was not my car!
    I am not sure about the bragging going on, by my dealer at least, of giving everyone, especially Porsche and BMW a run for their money on the test track here in Scottsdale??? I have driven most of the competition, not as impressive MDX. I am going to wait patiently and test drive the new X5 (due next month I believe) and then make a decision.
    I am in no hurry to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest! I was quoted $48K++ for a MDX w/Sport (obviously including Tech already) too too much.
    That is my $.02. Bye :blush:
  • Can't agree more with you all about not paying top $$ for this vehicle or any for that matter. What are these Acura dealers thinking? I guess there are always those that have money falling out of their pockets.

A good example of what some good dealers are doing is recently my friend wanted to get a brand spanking new BMW 335i coupe. Basically, this car is hot and at the a local dealer, they even had a mark-up of $2,500. So he found a dealer that had no problems selling it for $645 over invoice. Those are the dealers that have one thing in mind, that is sell, sell, sell. Their mentality is that they have no attachment to the vehicle, so why wait in hopes of having the one person that is foolish enough to pay MSRP or higher.

Just my 2 cents.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    the longer you can afford to wait, the more you will be able to negotiate.
    Dealers are always at their most obnoxiously arrogant when a new vehicle comes out.
    I remember shopping a new model Lexus GS 17 months ago and they wouldn't budge from MSRP. Now they can't even give them away.
    Let their MDX inventory build up a while after the initial flurry. There are so many SUV brands out there. I'm sure 6 months from now, the dealers will have a more friendly demeanor and you can negotiate for several thousand off of MSRP.
    In general, most folks who drove the MDX and the competition on the track came away with the perception that the MDX was more stable than the BMW (current X5, not necessarily the new one) and on par with the Porsche, though the MDX actually had more speed than the V6 Cayenne.

The Acura dealers do have something to brag about.

The V8 X5 and Turbo Cayenne are another story. But they're also in another price bracket.
    As a title of a general discussion forum, it's pretty lousy.

I'm open to suggestions for a better title. Just come up with one that conveys generality but does not imply a primary source of data.

Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

tidester, host
  • jeffxpjeffxp Posts: 33
    Healey , from USA Today, also commented on the MDX sluggish off the start but once going there's plenty of power. If you haven't used "Healy's Comments with audio/picture" it's quite informative. I find him the best reviewer so far. I've see the MDX up close and it looks powerful but need to drive it. Check it out this weekend.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-08-31-acura-mdx_x.htm

JeffXP
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I can't get too excited over the new MDX. Styling is subjective, but IMO, it's looks are so-so.
    The new X5 whips its a** on that count.

And is it breaking any new ground technology-wise? Everything seems to be an extension or evolution of existing technologies. It still can't match Lexus in the luxury and amenities department.

Last, but not least, it's over-sized. This thing is supposed to be "mid-size"? Anyone checked out the width?!
    At the end of the day, it's just a AWD minivan for computer-savvy soccer moms.
  • Yea, I took a test drive in a base model with the technology package today. MDX with Sport package will be tested on Saturday. I'll give a few first impressions and see if they match your test drive.

1) Was a bit disappointed about acceleration from stand-still. SUV appeared to stay in low gears a long time (3500-4000 rpm) this is much different from my Volvo S80 T-6. Once it got going power was more than adequate.

2) Technoloy package items were very good. Very impressed with rear view camera.

3) Parking and handling (SH-AWD) were also very good...exceeded expectations.

4) Interior seating/dashboard not as good as competitors. Got spoiled on Volvo seats. Interested to see if Sport package upgrade is an improvement.

Good luck with test drive.
  • nyrk2nyrk2 Posts: 2
    HI ALL! I currently own a MDX TOURING 2004.love it , have no problems and was very excited to trade it for 2007 model. The one that i want is around 45K. But I want to lease it(for my own reasons do not want to purchase) I went to my dealer to negotiate and his best offer was: 36 mo lease 12K - $725 a month+tax up front+all the other fees. To me it makes no sense to pay that for a car that worth 45K and has the best resale value.I was willing to pay $650 with taxes broken in to the payment+fees. They told me NO DEAL without any further negotiation. I leave in Brooklyn NY where probably 60-70 percent of people prefer leasing(including myself) and IMO deals like that will push many MDX lovers to look elsewhere. And as much as I like the MDX(and I really think it is the best 6cyl SUV on the planet)I will wait for 34 more days and I'll make my self go and check out the new X5. It would probably be around 53K, but i have a feeling I could lease it for about the same money . And if that's the case I'll go for it. I might regret this later but today I am NOT accepting the horrible and ridiculous lease program from acura.
    In 2005, I had a chance to lease a BMW X5 4.4 for $670 plus tax a month, no money down, 36 months, 36k miles. This was a $60k vehicle.
    I passed on that and instead leased a $60k BMW 545i for the same money and I'm glad I did!
  • nyrk2nyrk2 Posts: 2
    But of course you are! You got a nice deal and you got the car you wanted. My friend is leasing 530I with sport package(about51K-52K)He got that like a year ago, before 530XI came out. His deal was: 2K total out of pocket 36 mo/12K- $642 a month with no other fees or charges. Not a bad deal!
    Your timing has to be right to get a great deal.
    Nobody who shops the new MDX now will get a good deal.
    I would postpone looking until next Spring.

Happens all the time. People who have to be first on their block post regrets 6 months later when they go to the "prices paid" thread and see the deals they could have obtained if they waited.
    It's also good to wait a bit to see if early buyers are having any significant problems.