Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Played around in one, but did not drive it. (The dealer had "real" shoppers looking to drive the only demo.)

Anyway... the cockpit feels a little tighter than my 2004 model. Mostly, I think, because the dash is sculpted around the driver and passenger. Otherwise the leg and head room seemed about the same.
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    I'm open to suggestions for a better title. Just come up with one that conveys generality but does not imply a primary source of data.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

How about "2007 Acura MDX"?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    How about "2007 Acura MDX"?

I like that one but it implies a "primary source of data!" :)

tidester, host
    I like that one but it implies a "primary source of data!"

"Vehicles"?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Why don't we discuss this over in Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members? :D

tidester, host
  • My knees are always banging into things, does it have about the same knee room?
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Well, that's a hard one to answer. I would say yes, but, because I didn't drive it, I can't say with any certainty.

I was just sitting - not really moving my feet around the pedals. I don't recall if I even adjusted the seat for a good fit. It felt like the dash was closer to me than in my '04. But head and leg room seemed about the same.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I just drove an 07 on some twisty's in back of the dealership in Houston. A huge step up IMO from the last one. Acceleration was nice, handling was much improved. Very little if any body motion, very controlled through fast sweepers. A very comfortable, and quiet ride. The steering is quite good, but not BMW good. For the money it's a great deal. The main problem IMO is, as soon as I go across the street to Audi, I remember the fairly sized leap in interior quality. The MDX will leave the Q7 in a strait line for sure. I think they are both very sure footed. Dollar for Dollar the Acura wins. But on flat out elegance, and quality of materials, the Audi is the winner. I'm wondering if the new X5 will be the tie breaker for my wife when it comes out next month.
    For anyone who has test driven an '07 MDX, did you get to test the rear seat ride comfort? I'm mainly talking about the bounciness assuming the ride is fairly firm. I recently rode for an hour in the back seat of an '06 X5 on a nice SoCal freeway, and it got to be very uncomfortable, the bouncing reminded me of the ride in the back of an old forerunner. I'm wondering if sporty SUV manufacturers are sacrificing rear comfort for the driver's sporting pleasure.
  • Took an '07 out for a test drive today (w/o the salesman I might add). Very impressed. Has the room of my '04 and the handling (well, maybe not quite) of my TL. Certainly the handling is light years ahead of the previous gen. I managed to find some twisties off the interstate and made the tires squeal (almost a screech). Don't tell the salesman. I agree that the low end torque is not the greatest (same in my '04), but once you get past 4k rpm, that's when the fun begins. I think you would have to pay a lot more money for any other "SUV" that handles the way this one does.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    But what did you think of the looks? Don't you find it a little porky, bulbous, and over-styled when viewed from any angle other than straight-on from the front or the back?
  • mdxmommdxmom Posts: 6
    I liked the look but was dissapointed with a few minor items. For exammple the tail and brake lights are led but the turn signal is a regular bulb. Why not go all the way and have an led turn signal? The compartment in the centre console is a nice size but odd opening.
    :)
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    On LED, using LED lights for turn signals serve no purpose in safety improvement unlike its use on stop/brake lights. LED fires up 0.2 sec faster than regular bulb. That is 0.2sec more response time for the driver behind you to react (if he/she is even paying attention at all...?).

Yes, LED lights last longer but they are also much more expensive to replace. (not $1, that is for sure).

MDX is going to feel slow offline due to its short first gear (2.7). That, compared with 4.06 for new X5 (2.36 for 2nd gear), is a huge difference. Well, Acura really need 6-speed tranny to spread out the gear ratios while improving MPG.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    When I was test-driving the MDX, I actually chose to sit in the backseat for a period of time, just to see how comfy it was ~ and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that it was not only comfortable but roomy (I'm 6'1" with long legs), without any of the bouncy feelings associated with soft suspensions!
  • gollamgollam Posts: 29
    i would like to know how comfy the third row is for adults your size?...
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I sat in the back, but not while the car was moving. I'm not super tall 5'10" but I felt like there was a lot of legroom. And, the seats were very comfortable. Lot's of shoulder and headroom as well.
    I'm very impressed with the direction Acura took with this vehicle. It offers the same driving enjoyment of my wife's Infiniti FX35, but almost the refinement and smoothness of the Lexus RX. I think there are some kind of cheap pieces in the interior when compared to say Audi, but who doesn't when compared to Audi. It balances out when you consider that Acura electronic components, Nav, blue tooth, and such are superior to the Germans. It blows away the Mercedes ML IMO.
    As far as people saying that acceleration is slow off the line, I can't get with that. What are they comparing it to? I think my wife's FX is probably the quick est in the segment, but it felt equally responsive. I very aggressively put my foot in to the accelerator, and I felt it responded as it should given the specs, price and class of the vehicle. It is very sure footed.
  • koho955koho955 Posts: 97
    I don't know much about gear ratios but I did test drive the 07 volvo SUV with a 6-speed tranny. It was the worst driving vehicle yet. The constant upshifting and downshifting every time you touched the gas pedal was enough to make me walk after a 5 minute drive.
  • Two things I'm still deciding whether I like or not: the front grille and the gray front and rear bumpers regardless of vehicle color. Will these two things be deal breakers? Probably not. Mine is arriving mid Nov. (cherry,sport&ent) Put down a refundable deposit, so I still have an out if I decide I can't stand it.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    "Don't you find it a little porky, bulbous..."

I do! It's still a good looking suv, but you are right, it does seem a little "bloated" from certain angles.
  • mrs2kmrs2k Posts: 1
    Ordered Silver with Black interior loaded with everything, even the sport package too. I test drove it at my local dealer and I slammed on the brakes to try to nose dive it with the sport suspension and the MDX kept its composure. Awesome SUV. I think it drives better than many sedans out there. And thank God I got a knowledgable salesman. There are to many advanced features on this car. But once explained I got the hang of it right away (Navi). Nice vehicle I highly recommend it.