Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    If they price it anywhere near the stratospheric levels you guys are estimating, they'd better plan on building fewer than half the number of 2006's they produced. You can't expect people to look at the same model as last year, albiet a redesigned one, and think that it's (especially still with a v6) worth paying a jump-in-class price increase. When Honda *completely* redesigned the Odyssey for the 2005 model year, the base model increased $505, which was a 2.062% increase in base model price. Using the same percentage gives a $778.20 increase for the MDX to a base price of $38518.20. I'd be disappointed if they raised the base to anything over $38,995. I'm holding my purchase to see what the 2007 MDXs will be. If they're overpriced, I'm buying something else.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Well, it's been widely rumored that the MDX is getting a significantly upgraded V6. Acura is claiming the most powerful V6 in its class in their advance press materials. Rumors (generally reliable ones) are reporting more than 300 hp. It is also getting the SH-AWD system to replace VTM-4.

While the base Ody did not have a large price increase, it did not get many significant upgrades. However, the loaded Ody certainly did increase in price.

Given the luxury nature of the MDX, I think a better comparison would be the old top-of-the-line Ody vs the new top model.

The current Premium/Base MDX was priced at $37,125. With the addition of SH-AWD and a significantly more powerful engine (and no other content changes), I think you're looking at $39-40K minimum. But my guess is that Acura wants to distance the MDX from the Pilot and RDX in terms of content. So, I'm expecting another $2-4K on top of that.

We'll see. Maybe Acura will produce a stripped model to keep the base price down.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    It seems to be a trend lately to take near-luxury vehicles, add a few more overpriced options, stick a bigger engine in there and try to call it luxury. Of course in the process the price is jacked up substantially.

My point here is that I don't want to pay a lot more money just because Acura is trying to go Super Luxury, and not really adding value to the car. If they are trying to follow the path of the RL sedan, a 300 HP, SH-AWD $50k vehicle, then I certainly don't think there is value for the money--that car was certainly overpriced for what you got (in my humble opinion, of course). The TL was nearly as good.

Of course, if I was made of money, I wouldn't really care about the price ;-)
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    I'm really liking the new MDX......"BUT"....I'm hoping that Acura is seeing the real world out there of the rising gas prices ( probably be 5 bucks soon ) and hoping that their new car will at least have a reasonable MPG rating. ....AND...will run on regular.. A car with a reasonable MPG rating, but needs to run on hi-test is a car "without" a reasonable MPG rating. Obviously, if you have to pay 25 cents (or more) between regular and hi-test, that equates to 4-5 dollars (or more) extra per fill up for hi-test, then it counteracts a good MPG.
    There's a bunch of new SUV's coming out that "will" run on regular and certainly will be a consideration for many new SUV buyers.
  • jazzeumjazzeum Member Posts: 16
    I drove a RDX last weekend and in the course of the conversation the salesman said pricing of the new MDX will be in the 50s.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Most sales people are either clueless or making sure that you don't wait for MDX and instead pick up the RDX. I will be very surprised if MDX's base price doesn't start under $40K (currently $37K) and fully loaded may sneak into upper 40s (currently $44K).
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Prepare to be very surprised then.

The RDX, with the techno pack is close to $38,000 on it's own

The RDX and the MDX will not be within the same price range.
    The MDX, from what I have heard from numerous people in the Acrua Dealerships is somewhere in the $50,000's, although the base model will be somewhere in the mid to high $40,000's

If you're hoping for something that splits the cost somewhere between the RDX and MDX, you may be looking at the newly redesigned Honda Pilot
    Base RDX costs $33K. I just don't see base MDX costing more than $39K. Sure RDX w/Tech package is $37K, but MDX with all frills is likely to be in the mid-40s.

I just don't see why Acura will roll the dice on one of its bread and butter vehicles (TL being the other). Unless, they are aiming at lower sales volume next year. We shall see. I'm not buying into 50s argument yet.
    Well, when you find a dealer offering a fully loaded '07 MDX with DVD, Nav and all the other bells and whistles for mid $40,000's MSRP.... please let me know.
    Here on my side of the planet, their insisting that a fully loaded MDX will be mid-$50,000's.
    Dealers would sell a Honda Civic for $50K, much less an MDX. And if I were to find an 07 MDX loaded in the 50s, I sure am unlikely to find many buyers. Acura cannot afford that mistake with one of its bread and butter vehicles unless "sell fewer" is their new motto.
    Well, we'll know for sure soon.
    This is by no means an argument, I'm just stating what I was told by the Acura Sales Manager.
    He claims that we can plan on a $7,000 - $10,000 increase on curent MDX prices.
    A loaded 06 MDX is already just under $45,000 MSRP.

You feel that he is way off on the pricing, and the fact is, we won't know for sure until they come out.
    Acura claims that the 07 will compete closely with the Navigator, Escalade and GX470.

Will it?
    Personally, I doubt it, but it wont be long before we know for sure.
  • sma3sma3 Member Posts: 28
    Well, I hope its not in the 50's. Wife all ready likes the GX look MUCH better and it is a sharp ride even though dated. Still, a 2006 GX can be had at invoice and since they did not update much for 2007 I suspect even a 2007 GX will be at invoice soon after release. That puts it fairly loaded with Nav and DVD at about $48k. If 2007 MDX (in the 50's) puts in a few more variables I don't want like PAX tires and VCM (useless) then that would seal the deal to look elsewhere.
    I'm guessing that your Acrua sales manager is over-estimating the price of the 07 MDX. He has two reasons to do this: 1. Makes the RDX more attractive, and that's what he's selling on his floor today and 2. You'll be pleasantly surprised when the actual increase is 'only' $5K. I don't see Acura being able to justify an MSRP increase over ~$1500. The only way other manufacturers have justified multi-thousand dollar price increases is when the engines are markedly different, i.e. V8 vs V6. I personally don't care about SH-AWD. I'd like AWD, but the new version doesn't do anything for me (test drove an RDX) and I won't pay $2k just for a new AWD scheme. I'm not going to be racing my MDX. If they try to charge more than $47K for a fully loaded 07, they'll be piling up on the lots even more so than the 06s did.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    See the article here.
    $40s for the entire range sounds logical, also seeing that the new version looks quite upscale. The only issue I have with it is the console. I wish it looked a little less cluttered.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    i'm guessing more audi Q7/ benz G class- But they all are pretty much the same basic package, except 4 sporty versus utility.
  • greenavenuegreenavenue Member Posts: 27
    I am hearing $43K for the Touring and $48.9K with Nav and DVD

Can anyone confirm

Thanks
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    does '06 mdx use premium gas?
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    The 2007 Acura MDX will make Lexus bleed. It will have a 3.7L V6 with 300 horsepower (a lot more than the very weak 3.5L in the RX)

Acura has always done better than Lexus and is why it is doing better than Lexus. (Lexus is hurting for sales that it can never get)
    I appreciate the democratic nature of these forums, where absolutely anyone can post their opinions.
  • jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Well said.
    :)
    Yes it does
    Has anyone seen a good summary of the 07 Exterior Colors

Pls let me know

Thanks
    Great Gohgly Mohgly!

$41-48K is a steal if this MDX offers as much content as has been rumored. I was projecting something like $43-55K. I will be mighty impressed if a fully loaded model comes in under 50K.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Is that the correct spelling or are there two o's in there? I agree, this new vehicle w/ everything would be extremely competitive @ that price. However the V6 Q7, I am told, starts @ 47k and I'm sure Acura is looking to "steal" some of those customers. That price would surely make some Audi buyers stray. All just speculation really... Our 04' MDX is the best vehicle I have owned (compared to two other acuras and numerous VW's) looking forward to parking an 07' right next to it.
    That review mentioned that the "wood" trim is fake. Is that the case in the old generation? (I'm not a current owner.)
    The RL has real wood trim.
    All other Acuras have Genuine Plastic Wood.

Very rare, from what I understand ;)
    Yuk. Coming from a 2-Lexus family, that aspect of the MDX is going to be a problem, possibly even a deal-killer. In my mind the words "luxury" and "fake wood" don't belong in the same sentence. Nonetheless the new MDX has alot going for it, so it is still a strong possibility.

Can anyone please comment on how the plastic wood in the MDX "ages"? Does it look worse or more fake after 4-5 years?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    That interior is a GIANT leap forward from the first generation. The exterior is not as revolutionary as I'd hoped but unoffensive. It'll sell.
    As long as the fake wood looks real enough, I could care less. Real wood is only a thin veneer pasted to a plastic backing and often covered with so much varnish (to prevent warping from heat and humidity) it might as well be plastic. That along with the fact that they need to cut down real old growth trees to harvest that veneer gives me reason to pause.

I'm the way way with leather. If the fake leather feels good and is durable, I'm fine with it. In my experience, real leather is often less durable and only marginally more comfy than the better examples of the faux stuff. There are, of course, exceptions to that. I've seen some lousy faux leather and some terrific real stuff. But if the faux stuff is good enough that I need to study the seats for a while to determine its 'fauxness', it's not a deal breaker.
    You are correct. A quick Wiki reveals the spelling should be googly moogly.

At first, I was thinking that 48K top price was out of whack. Now that I've added things up, I do think it's possible. Start with 41K. Adding the tech package should add another 3.5K bucks. The sport package is probably another $2-3K. The entertainment package is probably the cheapest at $1.5-2K. That makes the top price point either 48 or 49.5 depending on how optimistic you like to be.

As a side note, that article Robert posted lists an estimated base price of $37,500. Wonder if the 41-48K range Acura is putting out is the price range they expect to be the most common, not the full range of prices.
    I think that price ($37.5K, est) is wrong. It would make the new MDX cheaper than the outgoing version. I do think that it will start around $41K for premium model and adding packages on top of it will have it top out at $48K (today, the premium to touring/DVD-RES package price differential is about $6K).
    I think it's wrong, too. But I figured it worth mentioning. Then somebody can start spreading a conspiracy theory...

"today, the premium to touring/DVD-RES package price differential is about $6K."

That's what seems a little odd to me. There's a 6K spread for the current MDX. The new one has a $7K spread, but the content supposedly included in that 7K includes upgraded suspension, upgraded stereo, upgraded lights, and a few others things not included with the current model.

Seems fairly inexpensive. Too inexpensive. I remain skeptical (though hopeful).
  • jeffreylajeffreyla Member Posts: 2
    The colors are: Taffeta White, Aspen White, Formal Black, Billet Silver, Steel Blue, Aberdeen Green, Nimbus Grey, Dark Cherry and Desert Rock

Interior colors are: Parchment, Taupe, Ebony and Bordeaux.

I do not know the combos though. Anyone?
    I gotta wonder if the towing capacity has truly gone up, or if Acura is just messing with the way they publish their capacities.

With the MDX and Pilot (probably Ody, too) they rate the vehicle's max towing capacity as the amount it can tow with four passengers and 200 lbs of luggage. Every other manufacturer rates their vehicles with only a driver. You have to subtract the weight of passengers and gear from their max capacity.

However, when Honda introduced the Ridgeline, they rated it with only two passengers and 200 lbs of gear. While on paper it looks like the Ridgeline can tow an extra 500 lbs, the truth is 300 of those lbs are just missing passengers.

Gotta wonder if they took the Ridgeline's approach with the new MDX.
    Probably chassis reinforcements, besides having a more powerful engine (and likely a beefed up transmission).
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Ha! It took me a few seconds to figure that one out. The "plood" in our 04'MDX looks the same as it did the day we bought it. Still, I wonder how much more expensive it would be to put a thin layer of real wood in the same space that the plastic is in. It would be a nice touch. My buddy's X5 has the real stuff and it just gives you a more luxurious feeling.
  • textratextra Member Posts: 1
    I don't understand why Acura felt the need to copy the rear of the Audi Q7 on the MDX. I would have much more respect for the new MDX if Honda would have designed their own rear end for the SUV.
  • pinkmelrosepinkmelrose Member Posts: 26
    Yeah, I felt same impression when I saw concepts. My wife want to buy this when it coming out, I personally turnning off because this.

In addition, back body line is too similar with Percifica. Maybe one middle vertical edge or decoration could looks better..Anyhow, should have more 'attitude edges' on back, too smooth surface look like a minivanish to me.
    The tail lamp treatment reflects the style of the headlamp, which was derived off 2005 Honda Sports4 concept.

Audi adopted that tail lamp style with 2005.5 revision along with the grill (just before launch of 2006 models), a few months ahead of 2006 Civic which also, coincidentally, has similar tail lamp design (as Audi A4). Interestingly enough, I see that tail lamp as an evolution of the 2001-2005 Civic sedan tail lamp.

I see it as more of a coincidence than either Honda or Audi copying the other. Who cares if they look alike? So do tail lamps in G35/M35, Avalon and last generation 3-series!
  • jdoanjdoan Member Posts: 9
    Hi guys,

I visited an Acura dealer yesterday and was so set on buying a 2006 model. Then the Fleet manager showed me the real brochure of the 2007 model (it was an actual one and not of the concept car). The 2007 model actually has the power lift gate (like the Lexus Rx) and is 190" long. As far as I could remember, there will be two main packages, one is called the Sport package with special suspension and different -- sportier -- leather trim, the other one is called the Technology package which has Nav & Entertainment system -- 9" screen instead of 7" in the 2006 model.

The only problem I saw was there will not be any Gray interior. They instead introduce a new interior color which is grayish-tan. Most of the exterior colors are carried over, but the dark-gray color looked much nicer than the current dull dark gray in the 2006.

From the pictures, the leather in the 2007 is much more luxurious, and the seats looked much softer and more confortable.

I asked for a photocopy of the Specifications pages, but the guy wouldn't do it for me. He said he's not supposed to.

Regarding the price, the guy believed it would cost up to $48K MSRP for one with the Technology package. But also said the car is not supposed to be available in the showroom until mid October, even though the brochure has been made available to dealership on a confidential basis.

My girlfriend liked it a lot (she wasn't so thrilled with the 2006 and was thinking about the Lexus instead), so we decided to wait for the 2007 to come out instead. It will cost a lot more, and chances are we won't be able to negotiate the price down much.

Guess I'll be driving my old car for several more months... :)
    Another way to look at them would be as a variation on the taillights from the RDX.

With lead times being what they are, I don't think Acura could have copied Audi. This is just another case of parallel development.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Did you get a look at the color combos? What was included with the tech packages? With the new design I'm curious about road noise, this was a problem with BMW's.

As a side note, some nice pics are available on www.vtec.net shows outside and inside.

I'm looking at MDX, Lexus, and Audi A4/A6.
    Just went to the Acura website they have specs, packages, and other info available on 2007 MDX!! Wierd that they would have upgraded leather seating with sport package.
    I like it except for the wood being fake.
    Check this link.

And the high-res picture gallery.
    I'm not a great fan of the faux wood either. For me it becomes a price point issue. If the MDX comes in around 50K, it would not be a big issue. However, if the price approaches 56K then other SUV's (Q7) would become more desirable.
    Lexus makes the RX (which I own) at a much lower price point than the new MDX, and manages to use real wood.

I have asked this before, but any current MDX owners, could you tell me how the fake wood looks after it is 4-5 years old?
This discussion has been closed.