Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,964
    Electrical/lighting issues now in play in the Chrysler Pacifica: Electical/Lighting Problems discussion.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thewall31thewall31 Posts: 11
    Hi we live in a very large gated community and drive daily to the clubhouse at speeds of 15mph or less and it is a annoying to have to put on the seat belts, is ther anyway to disengage the seatbelt warning chime? I know it goes off after about 5 minutes. thanks
  • yes- my 2005 was going through this for weeks including the dealer putting a black on my car to record the events- it would ding telling me it was out of gas then i would coast into the gas station and it would only take 3 gallons to fill up and needle go to full- so memorial day weekend dealer put new fuel pump and fuel tanks onto my 2005 pacifica- there was a manufacturer problem with pacificas made 8/2004 where the fuel tanks are like saddle bags and the piece in between them has a little problem-there was a notice sent out to all dealerships and they were to replace the fuel pumps in these particular cars- do you know when your car was made exactly?? if you have ever experienced engine stalling EVER- you need to go to the NHTSA web site and file a claim- there is a national investigation against 2004-2006 pacificas- we are going to lemon law court with ours- too many failures to count now since 5/2005.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    I agree with anything you say. When I read your letter, I had the feeling you were reading my mind (except the Intrepid part).

Just curious ... why you bought another Chrysler, if your 99 Intrepid was so bad ?
  • nelson33nelson33 Posts: 100
    LOL I don't know, maybe I'm a masochist. Since I never heard too many complaints regarding bad brakes on Intrepids, I figured it was just one bad apple that I was unfortunate to pick. The same applied for the odd electrical gremlins that popped up in the car. Despite all that, I still loved that car and drove w. confidence everywhere and anywhere.
    The Pac seemed to meet all my needs in what I was looking for. Roomy, very safe planted road feel. Very refined. Nice firm brake feel. Hopefully, I will be able to say that 5 years from now.
    God forbid this one turns out to be a problem. I might have to buy...........buy............I can't say it.............a.....TOYOTA. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    That was funny; I imagine it would be very effective.

Were you the one with the front end noises? Did you ever read this:
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/letters/101557/article.html

Regards.
  • dbwsrdbwsr Posts: 10
    I purchased my 2005 Pacifica from a dealer who handles expired leases for Chrysler, and just loved the car...until two weeks ago. The gas gauge went from 1/2 full to empty while traveling from Utah to Arizona. The gauge not only went empty, but the car began to stall. Somehow, I managed to make it to a service station. After having to stop every 100 miles to fill the tank, which was 3/4 full at each fill up, I made it home, and took the car for service. Both fuel pumps were replaced, and on one of these forums, I read the last batch of fuel pumps were bad. One week to find a fuel pump, in Phoenix AZ. They were on national backorder, and I had to call the Corp Office. They tried to appease me. Finally I got the car back Tuesday, and today, Friday, the same thing again. I read above there must be something wrong with the gas tanks. Anyone having this problem should post the issue here, as I am finding it is not a isolated incident. I still love this car, but this must be addressed!
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Thanks user777, but my Pacifica is a FWD, so it doesn't have a transfer case.

Also I don't have "cracking" sound, but a "clunking" sound (coming from the front, right side wheel). They already tried 4 times to fix it. After the 4th attempt they accepted to write on the service papers that it was still clunking. Obviously they can't fix it. There is no lemon law in Canada.

It's a pity because it's the nicest car I ever drove. Even if I would succeed to get rid of it, I really don't know what I could like, after driving the Pacifica.
    The local Chrylser dealing largest in the Phoenix area ordered parts to replace everything in the gas tank on Monday 19th. They advised me this was a problem with some Pacificas, and they were working on it. The parts ordered were to be of AD meaning the latest of design. Wednesday June 21, I received word from the service department, the new parts were installed, and they too were faulty! I called DaimlerChrysler, and they now have their technicians are working with the dealer. They advise me the quality of the products coming from Mopar, is not satisfactory. They advise me that when the contract is renewed, these cases will be put on the table. This doesn't help me, and other owners like me. After driving a Cadillac for 12 years, I find this car to be a great automobile. It is a real shame problems like this and the one above are not being addressed to the customers satisfaction. I researched this car for one year before my purchase, and talked to every owner I could meet. This problem was never an issue till recently.
  • kshone1kshone1 Posts: 2
    I had some issues with my 2005 Pacifica. I experienced the front end noises as well as issues with the car starting at times. I have taken the car to be serviced for this issue four times. I am now going through a settlement process with Chrysler to have this car replaced. My car only has 6,000 miles on it but when the issue began it had only 3,100 miles.
  • isj817isj817 Posts: 2
    Please do not purchase this vehicle. From what I've been reading it has a lot of problems that Chrysler knows about but do not tell you during the purchasing process. Right now I am dealing with a clicking, clattering and cracking noise coming from the front-end when making a right turn (every time). The dealership is telling me it is normal on all Pacificas. This is not acceptable! DO NOT BUY!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    The dealership is telling me it is normal on all Pacificas.

Well, that's obviously not true because mine makes no such noise.

So far, ours has been perfect. Which is why I say GO AHEAD AND BUY!

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

The dealer got my gas gauge problem handled, and now I am a happy customer again. I did go out and buy an extended warranty, after reading the posting on this site, and seeing if I had to pay for this gas gauge problem, it would have been about $750. I must say, I love the automobile, and the way it handles. Everybody wants to ride in it!
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Posts: 98
    I have 91km on a 2005 AWD Touring. I have notice different performance and gas mileage with different gas stations. I am currently partial to Arco, shell, and BP in my area.
  • Can you elaborate on your buyback experience? I am getting ready to go thru the same thing for the same problem. How much did they deduct for milage?

Thanks
  • cciampicciampi Posts: 1
    I have a 05 PAC AWD loaded. I can not figure how to get the DVD to play through the wireless headset. I got it to play through the radio but I read that you can listen to the radio while the kids listen to the movie?
    First, make sure the batteries in the headphone, and the remote are good. Second, use the remote to indicate headphone use, on the face of the unit. (Remember, the DVD must be in the unit) Thirdly, use the headphone behind the DVD player, ie rows 2 and 3. Otherwise, they will not pick up the signal. Funny, I would have asked the same question two months ago, but found out they work fine, and I can even list to Sirius Radio at the same time. Hope this helps.
  • stevenwstevenw Posts: 18
    I have to say that these posts made by people who have one problem "DO NOT BUY - BEWARE" are about the silliest thing I've ever seen.

Our 2004 PAC is going strong - 27.5K miles and been to the dealer for oil changes and a couple of TSB updates (had to flash the module once for something).

Overall this is a great vehicle. The old 80-20 rule is definitely at work here. 80% of us have no problems while the other 20% go on post after post about what a piece of crap the PAC is. I'm tired of it. It's time for the 80% to speak out!

THE PAC IS A GREAT CAR. If yours is having trouble don't come in here blasting the car as a junk heap. The majority of the cars are not junk heaps. :D :D :D :D
  • I agree. I love my Pacifica. I have to admit, I was a little spooked after reading some of the posts on here. The Pacifica is refined and a pleasure to drive. The sad reality is, you can find a lemon in every make of vehicle. It just happens.
  • We're not at liberty to discuss the buy-back transaction - DaimlerChrysler made us sign a confidentiality agreement. But in answer to your milage question...they use a standard formula to determine the usage charge. Milage divided by 120,000 and multiplied by the Actual Price of the vehicle. Once the process was in the works with the 3rd party, ISG, the whole thing went smooth. Good luck to you. We love our Toyota Highlander!!
  • alafan1alafan1 Posts: 15
    I've had my 2006 Touring 2 weeks now & so far am very happy with it, but the "Passenger Seat Belt Off Light" does not come on when that seat is empty or when my 80 lb grandson is in it. Has anyone run into this?

Also a thing I really miss are the automatic headlights I had in my last car. Is there anyway to upgrade to Automatic Headlights in this car?

Thanks, Richard :confuse:
  • rowdy2rowdy2 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Touring and also very happy with it. The automatic headlights apparently only works in the USA from what I read in the manual. Not a big problem as far as I'm concerned.
    I was wondering if you notice a jiggle sound or clunking sound in the front end when driving at low speed over small bumps? I have posted that question at # 1981.
    I have been driving my 2005 which I purchased off a lease, and have not have any clunking or jiggle noise. I do hear air passing near the roof exactly where my head is (sounds like radio static), and that is the only place. It's not the window and must be in the roof. My wife says turn up the music. I read that the lights are suppose to be automatic on and off, if so set,(my Cadillac called it sentry) After removing the key, and turning the lights off, the headlights will remain on for a prescribed time, set in the menu option and then turn them off. Mine cannot be automaticly set to go on while driving and it gets dark. Seat Belt Light....If you are talking about the light near the hazard warning switch, that is the air bag light. The light is activated, when a child or groceries are set on the seat to mimic a child sitting there. When the light is activated, the air bag should not inflate. I would think an 80 pound child would not trigger the activation of this light, and thus it is working properly. It would be advantageous to speak to the service manager.
    How tall is your grandson? He may meet the systems requirements in terms of weight, position, and height. The next time you get in your car, place something like a back pack perhaps, or something comparable on the seat and see if the air bag cut-off light goes on. A smaller or younger child would be a good test as well. My Pac's cut off light has turned on w. my 8 year old son, approx 45lbs, sitting in it momentarily. My back pack has also triggered it as well. This test would at least eliminate whether it's working at all. Let us know how it goes.
  • fusillifusilli Posts: 24
    I will speak out because I believe I know what I am talking about. I am in my mid-40's and in the last 20 years, I have had numerous, high-end cars (new Corvettes, Mercedes S-Class, Mercedes 500 SL, two ML SUV's, etc.). This has been by far my favorite car. Granted my lifestyle has changed (I have a 7-year-old son) and it is my first car purchased on practicality and not passion, however, it has been a pleasure to drive this car. I have had it for a year now, and I absolutely love it. It feels like I am driving one of my old Benzes, only half, and in some cases, a quarter of the price. I have had only one problem with it, and it has to do with the ABS warning light getting stuck on. I have yet to remedy it, but it's just a matter of my bringing it in to the dealership. Basically, in synopsizing, I would consider buying this car again. To those picky people who complain about every little thing (the leather seating posts just crack me up--ALL cars, including Benz, do this, so don't blame Chrysler), try driving a high-end Beamer or Benz, quality is not what you think...
  • djagdjag Posts: 39
    I agree completely with 1987's post. I have owned many luxury cars and they all have problems. My Limited is really one of the best automobiles I have owned. It certainly is better than my last 530 BMW or Benz. I have had not any problems. I dont drive over bumps slowly so I have not heard any clunking. The Benz clone of this car doesnt even have Bluetooth or Sirius and I think the fit and finish is better on the Pacifica. I think a lot of these posts are by folks with little experience owning other so called quality cars. The complaining is really sort of childish. Get a life. If you dont like the car trade it in on somthing else. Then you will have another car to pick apart.
  • i'm not complaining- i was just sharing my experience with the pacifica which is probably just a rare mishap in the making of it- we now have a blackbox on the pacifica to record the events (2nd time with the black box hooked up)-first time we had stalling 5 times, recorded the events with the blackbox button- yet when chrysler down loaded the box, no information on the computer chip- the NHTSA is involved in washington dc because of an accident caused by the "engine stalling"- so this is a little more than child's play involved in my case. So i will respond to your email posting that my case would definitely qualify as more than just "complaining". chrysler offered to slide me into another product- but at the sticker price on the car on their lot- not allowing any incentives or haggling of prices or rebates allowed- now how many people do you know pay the MSRP sticker price and would pass on the $7500 rebate offered on some of the cars? then i tried to trade in my car (as your email suggested getting out of it) and they all said they would have to deduct for "mechanical problems"- it will be in lemon law court next week unfortunately. the safety ratings were high on pacifica which sold me- but if it stalls without warning and a 18 wheeler is coming at you and your baby at 70 mph- that voids the safety claim.
    tryagainred

That's unfortunate about your problematic Pac. You have every right to post your probs. on this forum. After all that's why it's called "problems and solutions". You post it in hopes of finding others w. the same problems and hopefully a solution. I've been more fortunate than you obviously since my Pac stalled only once w. a few other minor quibbles. Other than that, it's great However, I always check in to this forum to see what my fellow Pac owners are experiencing. If I have a problem or notice something odd I will surely post, trivial or not, if I feel there might be a problem. No one likes to hear that their car is potentially problematic, myself included.

That's insane Chrysler offering you a window stickered Pac. How stupid do they think you are? Jeeeeez. Good Luck in court. I'm sure everything will work out.
  • fusillifusilli Posts: 24
    DJag,I have to laugh, because my Benz (well, at least the last one) was a POS, and the irony is it's all the same company! For some reason, Benz has let its quality slip, and it seems as if the Chrysler/Dodge division has improved immensely. I am so glad to be able to say that, after ten years, I am willing to try a domestic car again, and so glad I did, especially when I go to get an oil change, and I almost fall over when I can pay for it with a $20 bill AND GET CHANGE BACK!!
  • djagdjag Posts: 39
    You have a valid complaint and I would take the same action you are taking with Chrysler. If it is a lemon it is a lemon. I have never had one but I have friends who have.
    I am talking about many of the complaints on this site which seem trivial from folks that dont seem to realize that all cars have some issues.
This discussion has been closed.