Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

In the Soup - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Jeep
imageIn the Soup - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited gets stuck in the mud, but through no fault of its own. The Active Drive I 4x4 system shines while adding confidence and fun.

Read the full story here

Comments

• diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    I think it was a matter of the tires being over-matched here rather than the AWD system's failings. The Trailhawk's tires would've helped, but I'm not sure about the rear locker. On the other hand, I'd be REALLY interested in doing a head-to-head between the Subaru Forester XT and the Jeep Cherokee here to see who would've made it farther - both have similar street-oriented tires, and have similar non-locking AWD systems.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Well, at least with a Trailhawk, you'll have those bright red recovery hooks to aid in towing you out. ;)

I really wish you had gotten a Trailhawk as a long term test test model.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    This really shows the #1 thing for dirt roading/off roading is the correct tyre. You would have got just as stuck in the latest Range Rover, because no matter how fancy the electronics are, they are on street tyres.
    There are very few vehicles that come standard with decent off road rubber. The BFGoodrich All Terrains on my old Wrangler would have got stuck too, but further down the trail. The Mud Terrains on my Rubicon would be fine, I guess (because it hasn't rained in years in CA!)
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    All terrain tires would have made the difference. I would like to compare the Jeep's Active Drive system with the new Honda Pilot's i-VTM4 system. Honda's system has a rear differential (not common in a FWD based system) that can send power left or right as needed and can be locked at low speeds.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    That's the difference between Jeep owners and car owners...larger towing bills.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    edited June 2015
    I'll start by saying that I like the Cherokee and the styling has grown on me and it's clearly a hit in the market. But I have commented on other posts about the things that the Cherokee gives up to the small CUV segment in the name of off-road capability. It has less interior space and a smaller cargo area with a higher floor. It is generally less useful than the competition. Now this is done to improve ground clearance, approach/departure angles, allow a full size spare (optional) and more to make the car more capable. So with that, I join @diondi above in wondering if the Forester would have done at least as well as the Jeep in these conditions. I have a feeling the answer is yes. But the Forester is generally competitive with the class in terms of interior room and packaging where the Jeep really isn't.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    well said legacygt. trailhawk cherokee or no cherokee at all.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    @s197gt, that's exactly right. With the Trailhawk you get some real off-road capability for the sacrifices the Cherokee makes. With the other models you make the same sacrifices and get little in return.
  • ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2015
    fordson1 said:

Of course, John Adolph himself is the real deal. One of his personal vehicles is a heavily modified Land Cruiser that he has taken far, far off the beaten path over the years. John is likely the most experienced and enthusiastic off-road guy on our team.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    My 2005 Volvo XC70 could've made it with ease.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    eriches said:

fordson1 said:

Of course, John Adolph himself is the real deal. One of his personal vehicles is a heavily modified Land Cruiser that he has taken far, far off the beaten path over the years. John is likely the most experienced and enthusiastic off-road guy on our team.
    In that case he definitely should have known better.

I must commend the sheriff's deputies for their restraint and patience. They were being VERY diplomatic with Mr. Adolf. No doubt they were starstruck being in the august presence of a future Darwin Award winner. Our law enforcement professionals really do have enough to do without having to respond to hikers/skiers/climbers/drivers/etc. who venture beyond the limits of their equipment and/or experience. PLEASE use common sense; and learn the appropriate lessons from those who don't.