Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cracked Windshield - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Ford
imageCracked Windshield - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

A rock struck the windshield of our 2015 Ford F-150, and the star soon spread into a broad crack that requires a windshield replacement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    That's a royal pain. Very true about aftermarket glass. Not likely to get the same level of quality that came from the factory.
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    My guess is $700 for OEM glass installed. The glass isn't that exotic, it's just a different type of vinyl in the glass laminate sandwich right?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    After spending hours and hours researching for replacement glass for our 13 Pilot, I've learned this. First off, use ONLY glass from either PPW (PPG Glass Works) or Pilkington. Safelite imports their own cheap Chinese low quality glass. Next, call around. We got ours (Pilkington) with the self-dimming function from a local shop and they came out, installed for less than $300. They did a fantastic job.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    that is a crazy awesome price. i presume your pilot does not have automatic wipers? i hear the sensor makes it more expensive.

our cx-9 has three star cracks and i'm tried of looking at them. (even with two repaired.) for $300 i would definitely get it fixed.

Next, call around. We got ours (Pilkington) with the self-dimming function from a local shop and they came out, installed for less than $300. They did a fantastic job.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    They have got to be terrible tailgaters at Edmunds...nothing else explains it. A big part of that is the terrible traffic...you don't WANT to leave any space between you and the car ahead, because somebody will cut in.

SoCal - a schizophrenic place for car enthusiasts...a great place to see great cars, but all too often a horrible place to drive.
  • Options
    squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24
    I drive a late-nineties [non-permissible content removed] as my everyday commuter car and it's still on its original windshield. I'm not bragging here (that would be lame), just setting up the background on a personal dilemma I'm facing. See, that old windshield is the toughest SOB I've ever encountered, without a single crack or chip after 18 years and probably hundreds of rocks, but it is pitted and that can make driving into the sun a definite nuisance and a probable hazard. Problem is, I know that if I replace it, I'll end up with an aftermarket POS that'll crack like mud in the Mojave at the first good rock ding. Long story short, it sucks that replacement glass has gotten so low quality.