Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Ford F-150

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm surprised ANT has any brain left when we're all through pickin it over!
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    To think, I've had a hellacious week thus far and on one forum, I accidently released some info ahead of time and realizing it hours/days later. I believe next week I should be able to get issues here in order enough for me to "THINK", before I shoot my mouth :)
  • trainboytrainboy Posts: 66
    Driving by my local dealer today, there was a new 2004 F150, nice...
  • Driving on the interstate today, I saw the local high volume Ford dealer had six (6) 2004 F-150s sitting out front. But he still has about 600 2003 F-150s sitting in his back lot to move. Have to check them out on way to work before salesmen get there (6:15 am).
  • I hope Ford is not banking on this new truck to revive itself . Just seen the truck at the unveiling at local dealership. Needless to say I was Disappointed. The trucks looked BLAH, even the sporty STX . About the only thing I liked was the Dash. The seat material sucks,The front end was cheap, The door mirrors were cheap, The steps came off the explorer,cheap, They skimped on the wheel flares. Oh ya this truck is 800lbs heavier. For all the future buyers , better get the 5.4L you'll need it. The msrp of the best one they had (STX) was $34k+. I'll keep my 02 for a long time.
    My, you ARE a bomb thrower, aren't you? Guess I'd better go check one of these out for myself.
  • Gee. Not even a test drive to see if you liked it?
    I got my wife behind the wheel of an '04 F-150 last weekend. She took it for a drive around a parking lot, couldn't work up the nerve to leave it ... she liked it. She liked the interior, liked the design WAAY better then a Ram, was struck by the quiet within the cab and by the easy steering .... helps to take a test drive, it really does. I think that if the build quality doesn't open a door for the Titan and the 2005/06 Toyota truck, the new F-150 will be fine. The weight is a concern... somewhat. However, the V-10 is going to get the same 3-valve remake as the 5.4 got, and I wonder if the stiffer 150 frame might not accommodate it. In the alternative, I see no reason why a work truck shouldn't have aluminum paneling, or plastic if it come to that: if you take it on a job site, it's gonna get dented, and I don't care WHAT it's made of - dents happen. The longer frame on the Titan will either weigh as much, or flex more: you pays you money and you takes you choice.
    Actually, the frame of the F-150 can support the power of a V-10 if need be. All depends on development resources.
  • Sat in an 04 Lariat SuperCab on the showroom last night. Very nice truck.

Pros:

Air Filter sits on top of engine and can be replaced in seconds.
    Grill goes up with the hood making it easy to wash bugs out of the radiator, yet is a seperate piece to keep repair cost reasonable.
    Fit and finish at first glance are light years ahead of previous fords and the current crop of domestics.

Cons,

This was supposed to be the top to the line but had no power passenger seat or power sliding rear window.

The fake wood trim looks cheesy IMO. I liked the dash in the XLT, FX4 and even the base model better.

No 20" wheels offered even as an option.

They had 6 trucks to look at in various trim levels with no supercrews expected for two weeks. IMO all of the wheels they offer are ugly. They need to take a hard look at the nice 20" chrome rims dodge offers.
    I'll hold off on a test drive until the Titan and Tundra Double Cab are out and then drive them all.
  • Does anyone know if Ford has taken steps to improve on last year's poor crash test results? I am interested in an 4wd supercab and don't know whether to go for a leftover or wait for a 2004.

Bob2loud
    The structure is 2 times stronger than last years offerings, and Ford has stated it should score very well in the NHTSA and IIHS crash tests. The ratings you saw were for an extended cab model that was tested by ONE of those agencies, while the other tested another 'configuration' and did very well. You can wait a few months for them to retest the vehicle again.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,664
    isn't that offset crash test like running into a bridge abutment, or a toll booth, or something like that?
    Pretty much, but that's the old model, new one is much improved.
  • what is fords problem when it comes to tires. I really like fords, but if there is one complaint, its with the tire packages they offer. The look of the 4/4's with the standard tires is horrible, and the upgrade size is not a lot better. way to much space between top of tire and wheel well. seen a new dodge ram the other day , had the 20" tires on it, looked good.
    More space = More room for tire travel over rock climbing.
    My Navigator has 18" wheels on it, and nice big Michelin Pilots. No complaints here.......
  • Where can I buy new rims for my F-150 Supercrew because I have 16" rims looking for 18". Don't want no chrome rims to old for that type of look.
  • lennxlennx Posts: 73
    I recently bought the 2003 supercrew. I liked the looks of the 2004 but it did not have as good a deal and it seemd too big.

For me the 2003 F-150 was a bit of stretch in size. The 2004 is taller and seems overall bigger.

Does anyone else think the 2004 are too big?
  • triattriat Posts: 121
    I checked out the '04 at the Austin Show. Lot's of things I like better about the '04. But what engineer decided to put a Home Depo sized shelf on the doors right where the feet need to pass to get in/ot of the truck. At 6'1 & size 12 shoes, I had to open doors pretty wide to get foot between door & rocker panel....
    The usual occurs when redesigning a vehicle, a few inches here and there are gained, but I would say maybe the feeling of the F-150 being "too big" might be more about it's imposing styling. Whereas the previous F-150's curvaceousness was able to mask it's big dimensions, this new one just flaunts them. The Titan itself is a bit bigger by a few millimeter's over the new F-150 on some dimensions, how do you perceive that vehicles size?
    Did not look at the Titan as I was looking to buy now not at the end of the year. I did look at the Avalanche, Dodge Dakota and the Tundra. Avalanche rode well but all the plastic made it hard to see out back. Tundra was smaller and felt smaller. Dakota was smaller but felt huge when I drove it.

F-150 2003 is large but did look or feel large when I drove it. As I recal when you compare ;O3 and ;O4 dimesions, the 04 is just a little bit bigger. I think you right about the rounded versus straight edges making the 04 seem even bigger.

Also the 2" taller bed is another thing. It is harder to get things over or even look in.

It seem likes Ford should now have a Dakota sized truck rather than a Ranger size.

Of course I did not like any of the small crewcab trucks which is why I ended up in an F-150.
  • brianbmbrianbm Posts: 55
    The post on the Avalanche mentions rear visibility, which is a concern with anything this big. I'd like to see any vehicle this large be available with rear - facing TV or some other visibility improver. Hey, flat screen monitors are sprouting all over the place in navigation and rear-seat entertainment systems, that screen could provide data to what's behind you too. So far as I know Ford isn't doing that on trucks - yet.
    It'll probably appear pretty quick in the Nissan and Toyota trucks, which will seek to first peel away the lifestyle truck-mom buyers, so Ford might surprise us with a 2d or 3rd year update that would include it. Ant, whaddya think? Year Three, a 3 valve V-10 and Saf-T-Cam?
    Those rear facing cams can be handy, and it certainly wouldn't hurt having one. But Ford hasn't been too keen in jumping on the bandwagon on that one, mainly because it'll require a Navigation system to display. So to get to point B, we need to first get to point A...then at that time we might see a rear facing camera system. That's how I see Ford's position to that.

Personally, if someone needs a camera to manuever such a vehicle, they shouldn't be behind the wheel of one. My concern would be, the soccer mom crowd who try to back up these vehicles at the supermarket parking lot. If you make it TOO easy for someone, they might totally lose their vehicles dimension perceptions all around and end up scraping the side of parked cars, AS they are concentrating on the rear view monitor.

I've tried both systems, rear facing camera's and object detecting systems, and have a better experience with the latter. Mainly because I'm able to concentrate around the vehicle and listen for the beeps, than stare into a screen. But that's just me.

As for 3V configuration of the Triton engines, yes the 4.6L and 6.8L will be receiving this treatment. As for the 6.8L fitting into the F-150, that's a whole other story.
    Would I want a camera? No.

The design of the Avalanch made visibilty out the back too dificult. The F-150 had more open glass and no plastic stuff in the way so it is much easier to see out back. I also removed the rear head rest to improve the visibility out back.

I would suspect the 2004 F-150 visibility is a bit worse out back by about 2" - the 2" they added to the bed height
  • Need some help/advice here. I'm wondering if a rear-facing car seat can fit in the backseat of the F150 super cabs or if I need to buy a super crew? Please tell me it will work or I'll have to buy a minivan...ugh.
  • Yes, the visibility out the rear is somewhat restricted when backing. I had a 98 150 with a cap and had plenty of visibilty. Good tip on pulling the headrest. It appears the center child strap is permanent, so I thought the headrests were also. Best creature features are the power rear seating windows as well as the power back window. Got the moon roof, so it feels wide open.

Child seat will fit in the back of an extended cab. I'm 5'10" so do the math on how far your seat has to be forward.
  • barobaro Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Ford will offer 6.5 box on the F150 supercrew. Currently they only have the 5.5 box for the supercrew.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I had a 2004 4WD F-150 crew cab for a day.
    It drove very well except the ride was a little bouncy in the back seat of the crew cab and sometimes the ride was jittery even in front on less than glass smooth freeways. It was quiet enough for a truck and had a tight turning circle for such a large vehicle.
    The standard stereo was OK except in the rear, so the upgraded audiphile system should be very good.
    The power was just adequate, not quick.
    I also looked at a Lariat and it looked good except the fake wood is extremely tacky and cheesy. It is supposed to add elegance, but since it is so obviously fake, it actually cheapens the look of the interior. They would have been better off completely skipping the attempted wood-look if they can't pull it off more realistically.

The glaring omission is the lack of side curtain airbags. Ford says it doesn't need them because it is a large vehicle, but that's bogus since it can still be hit by an equal or even larger sized vehicle, plus side curtain airbags would add a lot of safety to a vehicle that is more prone to rollovers than a car. Also, the side curtain airbags will protect your head from smashing into the window glass or B-pillar regardless of if the vehicle is larger or smaller sized.
    Ford's attitute when confronted by journalists reminds me of GM's resistance to airbags in the 1990s because they felt their ridiculous door-mounted seatbelts were "good enough."
    The Expedition has the side airbags as well as the new Titan and new Dodge Ram. This is the only new design without it even being available as an extra cost option.
    I wonder if the side airbags will come for 2005 or 2006 or if they seriously plan to skip it for the entire model run?
  • Need help pricing this vehicle. What are the going prices for a loaded F150 Lariat 4DR with Leather? I have priced this vehicle online and at the dealership but I refuse to pay MSRP. Has anyone attempted to use the X plan for this vehicle? Is it really possible to purchase this vehicle from the plant manufacturer in Michigan? If so how do I go about doing so? Is there a real savings purchasing from the manufacturer? Would the manufacturer allow me to use the X Plan?
  • It's the first year of production and you're shopping at the high-end trim level. Why would anyone discount if they don't have to do so? Why would you think they would give away money? .... what am I missing here?
This discussion has been closed.