Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Ford F-150

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, I have to chime in and agree with ANT, from experience. The Ford V-8 family of engines is just awesome IMHO. Great durability, great performance all across the band, and great efficiency too. Smooth, quiet, powerful and reliable, and every bit as good as the Japanese V-8s out there.
  • lennxlennx Posts: 73
    I was wondering why there wasn't talk about the 2004 F-150 in the pickup group. Since the the 2004 F-150 is on sale now, should this discussion be listed under pickups also?

I also read at the blue oval news group that there has been some type of frame problem that stoppped production. Any others hear this??
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    On the BON site, could you tell me under which heading that article is listed under?
  • ANT-

I've seen that too. It's mentioned in the forums, and on some other Ford-related sites as well. One person had pics of a HUGE field FULL of new F150s which were allegedly being held for repairs.

-Andrew L
    Ok, it hit me then. I was making sure it was "FRAME FRAME", and NOT the seat frame from the Expy/Navi that just recently was uncomvered.
  • lennxlennx Posts: 73
    It was in the blue oval news forum - F150.
    Yes, got it. I had to go back in my memory book. It's been "one of those weeks"....
  • brianbmbrianbm Posts: 55
    Ant, correct me if I'm wrong...but Honda was doing 3-valve engines in much, much smaller engines a few years ago. This is the first use of such a design in a truck engine, is it not? ... and is there an official time frame for the redesign of the V-10 as a 3 valve engine? I don't know how old that one is.
    I'm not that familiar with Honda engineering/engines, etc. If it's pre-90, my knowledge to their vehicles is limited.

MercedesBenz does use 3V's which they use on their 3.2L OHC V6. Although they kept the output pretty much the same, over the previous 3.2L unit, torque output was increased through-out the whole RPM range. Something Variable Valve Timing can do now, much more efficiently. Ford has gone the extra step, and done both of the above mentioned, which is why we are seeing higher overall HP and TQ, in it's similar displacement.

On the opposite extreme, VW/Audi's have 5V's in their 1.8L engines. With the above mentioned engines, Ford succeeds in that it qill require regular grade fuel, whereas VW's/MB require premium.

Next possible question: If Ford used premium fuel VERSION on their new 3V 5.4L's, would they make more power overall? Yes certainly, BUT ONLY if SUCH a version were to be made, and compression would be altered to benefit from premium fuel, where gains in HP and TQ would be attained. (look for 4V to keep using Premium)
  • brianbmbrianbm Posts: 55
    Ant, your auto brain is eminently worth pickin'. Thank you. Looking forward to seeing the new truck.
    I'm surprised ANT has any brain left when we're all through pickin it over!
    To think, I've had a hellacious week thus far and on one forum, I accidently released some info ahead of time and realizing it hours/days later. I believe next week I should be able to get issues here in order enough for me to "THINK", before I shoot my mouth :)
  • trainboytrainboy Posts: 66
    Driving by my local dealer today, there was a new 2004 F150, nice...
  • Driving on the interstate today, I saw the local high volume Ford dealer had six (6) 2004 F-150s sitting out front. But he still has about 600 2003 F-150s sitting in his back lot to move. Have to check them out on way to work before salesmen get there (6:15 am).
  • I hope Ford is not banking on this new truck to revive itself . Just seen the truck at the unveiling at local dealership. Needless to say I was Disappointed. The trucks looked BLAH, even the sporty STX . About the only thing I liked was the Dash. The seat material sucks,The front end was cheap, The door mirrors were cheap, The steps came off the explorer,cheap, They skimped on the wheel flares. Oh ya this truck is 800lbs heavier. For all the future buyers , better get the 5.4L you'll need it. The msrp of the best one they had (STX) was $34k+. I'll keep my 02 for a long time.
    My, you ARE a bomb thrower, aren't you? Guess I'd better go check one of these out for myself.
  • Gee. Not even a test drive to see if you liked it?
    I got my wife behind the wheel of an '04 F-150 last weekend. She took it for a drive around a parking lot, couldn't work up the nerve to leave it ... she liked it. She liked the interior, liked the design WAAY better then a Ram, was struck by the quiet within the cab and by the easy steering .... helps to take a test drive, it really does. I think that if the build quality doesn't open a door for the Titan and the 2005/06 Toyota truck, the new F-150 will be fine. The weight is a concern... somewhat. However, the V-10 is going to get the same 3-valve remake as the 5.4 got, and I wonder if the stiffer 150 frame might not accommodate it. In the alternative, I see no reason why a work truck shouldn't have aluminum paneling, or plastic if it come to that: if you take it on a job site, it's gonna get dented, and I don't care WHAT it's made of - dents happen. The longer frame on the Titan will either weigh as much, or flex more: you pays you money and you takes you choice.
    Actually, the frame of the F-150 can support the power of a V-10 if need be. All depends on development resources.
  • Sat in an 04 Lariat SuperCab on the showroom last night. Very nice truck.

Pros:

Air Filter sits on top of engine and can be replaced in seconds.
    Grill goes up with the hood making it easy to wash bugs out of the radiator, yet is a seperate piece to keep repair cost reasonable.
    Fit and finish at first glance are light years ahead of previous fords and the current crop of domestics.

Cons,

This was supposed to be the top to the line but had no power passenger seat or power sliding rear window.

The fake wood trim looks cheesy IMO. I liked the dash in the XLT, FX4 and even the base model better.

No 20" wheels offered even as an option.

They had 6 trucks to look at in various trim levels with no supercrews expected for two weeks. IMO all of the wheels they offer are ugly. They need to take a hard look at the nice 20" chrome rims dodge offers.
    I'll hold off on a test drive until the Titan and Tundra Double Cab are out and then drive them all.
  • Does anyone know if Ford has taken steps to improve on last year's poor crash test results? I am interested in an 4wd supercab and don't know whether to go for a leftover or wait for a 2004.

Bob2loud
This discussion has been closed.