Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX: Care & Maintenance

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
Taking good care of your TSX? Talk about wash, wax, polish, and maintenance routines/schedules here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• One salesman told me I can use low lead (regular) fuel for the 2004 TSX. Another told me that would take away from the car's performance and said only to use the top premium fuel. Another salesman recommended the medium grade octane gas.
    I'm curious ot hear from other TSX owners about this.
  • Actually, everything you were told is technically correct. The TSX can run on low grade, mid grade, or high grade.

The issue with octane is that high octane gas burns later than low octane gas. Low octane gas is no less "powerful" or less clean, it just burns earlier. Now, in a high compression engine like the TSX, you want it to burn late. In a lower compression engine, you want early burning (like in an Accord). Hence, the TSX likes the higher octane gas. The Accord 2.4, in contrast, will not benifit at all from Premium and may even run worse.

In the old days, if you used too low an octane, you got engine "pings" that could cause damage. That won't happen in the TSX, because the engine has a knock sensor. If you use a lower grade gas, the TSX will adjust itself to prevent pinging. So, there is no risk to using lower octane and your engine should be fine.

Here is the problem though: in order to get maximum performance, you need premium. Otherwise, the knock sensor will intervene to prevent pinging. The result will be about a 15% loss in power.

Personally, I've experimented with regular, medium grade, and premium. I did notice a big difference when I went from Premium to regular. I didn't notice any difference when I went from Premium to medium. Under the right conditions, however, I imagine that regular might work fine.

Right now, I'm running Premium. It isn't that much more expensive and I want to maximize performance. But, I feel confident that Medium grade would work OK too, and regular would probably be fine in a pinch.
  • I would have to disagree with your assessment on fuel economy/performance in an Accord. My 01 Accord V6 saw a 10% fuel economy improvement when i switched from 87 to 93. So, for about 15% more $$, I'm getting 10% better fuel economy, and I feel like the extra 5% is worth the $$. It will keep the engine cleaner and running smoother.
  • The V6 is a different issue. The Accord V6 actually does benifit from premium fuel. The 4-cyl in the Accord, because the way it is tuned does not. Lots of drivers have reported gains in fuel efficiency and power by using premium with the Honda V6 engines.
  • I'll be picking up a TSX later this week in Wisconsin and immediately driving it back to Arizona. Does the owners manual give any break-in recommendations?
  • yeah. Don't rev it too much for the first 600 miles, try to avoid hard breaking, and try to vary the speed and RPM. You don't want to stick to a constant RPM for long periods during break-in.

Practically, with the K24 engine, none of this matters much. Hondas don't really need an extensive break-in and I think you'll be OK whatever you do.
  • williamwilliam Posts: 5
    1 suggestion dont use the cruse control for i "belive" 600 miles because it can cause ur pistons to make a grove in the engine and whrere the pistons cant fire all the way asn they should. which of course is not good )x_x
  • jselingojselingo Posts: 9
    Sorry for the cross-post:

I just bought a TSX and live in a state that requires a front license plate. I also occasionally park the car on the street. I'm looking for a heavy duty and deep front license plate holder so that if someone backs into the car they hit the plate before the actual bumper. Anyone know where I could get one?
  • Do you think it is ok then to only run it on regular all the time?
  • bvillabvilla Posts: 3
    i live in canada, and i don't think there is an owners' website that services this market. i've signed up for the honda america owners' site, which has some great features, but it doesn't help me here (with service, etc.).

i'm just curious if the site is as good as it looks. are people using it? what works, what doesn't?

signed,
    jealous in toronto
  • don't know why you would need it, but there are a few tsx web sites if you use google. The most prominent one consolidated with other acura sites and, IMO, now blows. There was another site as well (I found my group pruchase in Toronto thru it 2 years ago), but it too seems pretty lame now.

Cost of the car (35000km) in terms of expenses beyond gas, oil is: $0. Previously had a 99 Accord - also a pretty trouble-free car (1 light bulb).

Truly a wonderful vehicle.
  • rico23rico23 Posts: 29
    i read somewhere that the tsx doesnt have a timning belt it actually has a chain so you dont have worry about changing this?
  • The TSX does have a timing chain and I can find nothing in the owners manual about ever needing to change it out. This unlike previous Honda/Acura's which had a timing belt that required changing at about 60K miles. :D
  • vasq5vasq5 Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2006 TSX. I've read a lot about how easily the paint chips, and as such, am thinking about having edge guards installed. Does anyone have any opinions about how well these work to protect the doors. Are they aesthetically pleasing? Any other recommended accessories to protect the paint?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    door-edge guards only protect the edge of the doors not the whole door- I have them on my 06 tsx as they came with the car-along with mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray and all-weather mats. My car has lots of chips-should have put on a clear bra when it was new. Great car-almost 96,000 miles on my now 3 year old car.
    Thanks! I know that the edge guards will only protect the edges of the doors, but I figured if they work, that's better than nothing. Do you like yours? Do they look okay?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I personally think they look good but I try not hitting things when I open the doors so I can not tell if they work.
    Thanks! I'm pretty cautious as well but there are already some small chips from the previous owner, so I wanted to prevent the paint from chipping further.
  • About to do my first oil change on the 2008 TSX I purchased. Was under it looking at the plastic cover that has to be removed. The manual made it look like one bolt to remove, but I thought I saw two, plus plastic rivets along the front edge.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on this? I was afraid of snapping the rivets and ending up with a rattle after putting it back on. I hate to pay the dealer to do this, as I've always done all my own oil changes.

Thanks for any advice here...
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    All of the fasteners must be removed to get that shield off. Do a search on YouTube for a video that shows the entire procedure. You can also go to the TSX section of Acurazine for more info.