Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealer Demo - How much of a discount on average?

dallagatordallagator Member Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Hyundai
Looking at a 2015 Santa Fe Sport Turbo Tech demo that one of the Mngrs at dealership has been driving. Has 3200 miles on it. Sales guy said the demo discount is only about $250 - 500. Sounds to me like it should be a good bit higher. Sure it hasn't been titled, but that doesn't change the fact that someone else put 3K miles on it. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Seems like demos are often overpriced. I'd want at least fifty cents a mile off. Best check to see when the warranty start date is too.
  • dallagatordallagator Member Posts: 3
    Thanks- Guy is lowballing me. Np. That's his job but I'm not buying at $500 off either. And good point about warranty. Hadn't even thought about that.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Thanks- Guy is lowballing me. Np. That's his job but I'm not buying at $500 off either. And good point about warranty. Hadn't even thought about that.

$0.30/mile is usually the best you'll see in additional discounts, in my experience. On a lease, it can make a lot of sense to get a demo/loaner.... but, I usually can't make a case for it on a purchase.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    $500? What's the point. Buy a new one. Basically the dealer wants you to take the 3,000 mile depreciation hit on top of the normal depreciation hit that any new car suffers once it's ten feet away from the dealer's driveway.

Warranties start from the "date of service" so if you do buy a demo, check what that date will be.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Agree - shoot, you're basically buying a rental car. May as well just buy a new one for the difference in price.
  • dallagatordallagator Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the responses. Agree, going with new one now.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    I got a lease deal on a demo yesterday. 2015 Santa Fe Ultimate AWD 2.0T 4,000 miles - 393/mth inc. tire protection and 8% tax. I think that's good...what do you think?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

I got a lease deal on a demo yesterday. 2015 Santa Fe Ultimate AWD 2.0T 4,000 miles - 393/mth inc. tire protection and 8% tax. I think that's good...what do you think?

How much of a discount from sticker did you get for the 4000 miles?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4