Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
I hope GM makes these new minivans a success. I hope they all have individual looks and personalities and have all the features like roll-down windows in the second row, fold-flat third row seat, power liftgate, and such all with plenty of room. Anybody else interested in these?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    libertycat, it's IN Future Vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    and they should have pretty wood trim (lots of it), forward/backward and sideways moving second row, and AWD available.
    Two years before the new Sienna, an active conversation was going on about it. Shows how Japanese vehicles are preferred over Americans SO much BY Americans. Silly.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    libertycat-

Well, there really is no substantial information about these vehicles available. That is, I have never seen a spy photo, artist's rendering, or meaningful list of specs. All I know is that they will be styled in a more SUV-like manner. I'm expecting something along the lines of a first-gen Mazda MPV. At any rate, GM better hurry up and get these things out. The current minivans' safety ratings are inexcusable.

-Andrew L
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Sure would give current Saturn Owners something to upgrade to other than a lousy Venture.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    We are approx. a year away of these new vans, and still no information... nothing! Are there any secrets behind this new van? Are a few good surprises awaiting us? Something earthshaking? ;-)
    I think GM is trying to be like Honda. Hide everything until the last minute. You see- GM is trying to excite us, so we go and see the car at some auto show. (And also, while we're at the auto show- GM can advertise to us by parking a Buick Century and a Chevrolet Cavalier next to the Saturn Relay, which everyone is crowded around, so then they might sell some Cavaliers- who knows?
  • pkschulpkschul Member Posts: 1
    I have read that the new Saturn minivan will not be built at a Saturn facility and that it will NOT have polymer side panels.
    A Saturn isn't a Saturn until it gets those polymer door panels and manufactuered at a Saturn plant. What were those GM engineers thinking when they decided on that?
    jchan2-

I agree -- if GM wants to suck the last bit of originality out of Saturn, that's the way to do it. I like some things about GM, but sometimes I wonder whether they make their decisions by coin flips.

-Andrew L
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    GM has already screwed up the Saturn line-up. They may as well keep the trend gong and take away the polymer doors as well. My prediction is the Saturn Relay will not get built and Saturn as we know it today is gone within 3-4 years like Olds.
    should come. I mean, some people who bought the original Saturn probably have a family now and are probably driving a Honda Odyssey, waiting for the day when Saturn will make the minivan for them. One with polymer door panels, great reliability, good value, and great customer service. The Saturn concept, portrayed in 1990, is gone. Now we have a Saturn selling unreliable L-Series cars based on an Opel and IONs sharing platforms with other GM cars and VUEs lending it's platform to Chevrolet. In other words, the true Saturn is dead and all we have left is a Saturnized Opel, and 2 Saturns who have loaned their bodies to Chevrolet. The real Saab is dead too. Now, Saab has a dressed up Malibu, and an Saabized Opel. (Saturn L-Series platform) I guess the damage is too deep to repair.
  • iglooheatiglooheat Member Posts: 32
    Getting back to this board's purpose, I think its about time GM produce 'gotta have' minivans. I really want to buy American this time around, so I hope GM includes all the best features of today's field, which happen to be all contained in the Indiana-produced Toyota Sienna. I can't beleive that Ford and Nissan missed the boat by not offering a split third row on their new offerings. This, and great safety scores, is a deal breaker for me.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    do not get recalled like the Sienna.
    I WANT POLYMER DOOR PANELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    All Saturn buyers I know stick with the company. Either if they don't buy a new car or they do... each one has great reviews about there experiences. No troubles at the dealers.... As what you said in #16 jchan2, the people who probably rode around in S-Series doing the early nineties probably have children now and own a Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey or any of the other minivans. Saturn drew a lot of customers when they created the VUE. My friend thought of buying one since she recently had a child. I reccomended it to her and she is still thinking. If Saturn continues to make the Relay, it will be a very good idea.
    Hey, if you want polymer doors, i hope you get them. I wouldn't mind them at all. I just want a gm van that get the same or better mpg than today's gm vans, and with more features and better safety scores. They better keep the eight passenger seating option.
    I hope they don't blow the intro as we may be getting on as soon as they are released. We need one now, and I'm holding off the wife until next year.
    I'll bet that my friend's daughter will trade in her SL2 for an L-Series soon.
    8-passenger seating would help. No markups- Saturn advantage over Buick and chevrolet. Probably less inventory however.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://media.gm.com a Sept 8th release

Buick Terraza
    Chevrolet Uplander
    Saturn RELAY
    Pontiac Montana SV6
    I kind of like Relay and Terraza, but Uplander? We already have a Freelander and an Outlander. What's next, Inlander, Overlander and Wonderlander? Montana SV6 also sounds like a superficial name for a vehicle that probably shouldn't be in the lineup at all. Just give Pontiac a decent midsize crossover (even a restyled and renamed Aztek would probably do the trick) and let the other divisions have the minivan market.

If GM can just fix the safety issues (see iihs.org) with its vans, that will be a big step forward. They are a pretty good value as is, except for that major flaw.

-Andrew L
    The Relay and Terraza sound fine to me, but the Uplander sounds too much like Freelander and Outlander. Next up, we'll have a Pontiac Downlander! Montana SV6 sounds hashed together in a desperate attempt to find a name.
    The Montana SV6 name may just be a transition. The new Grand Am replacement will be called the G6, so perhaps a year later the van will be just SV6 (Sport Van 6 cylinder).

And in the iihs funded "injury, collision, and theft losses" reports (available at their site) for 9/00, 9/01, and 9/02 have a GM van in one of the top two spots 5 out of 6 times. (9/00 Pontiac #2, 9/01 Pontiac #1-Olds #2, 9/02 Olds #1-Pontiac #2) The reports ranks them as "substantially better then average". We can only hope the new generations will feature the same real world performance.
    What we can hope for is a minivan that is as good or better than the Sienna. Now that's something!
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    ....I agree, they're sure doing the *lander thing to death.(& don't forget the Crosslander and Highlander too!) Saturn & Pontiac versions look the best to me (Buick will probably be out of our price range). Sure would be great to have some pics.
    If the van proves to be flying off lots Sienna Style, then the Saturn will be the best deal. No markups or shady dealers. If the vans flunk, the Uplander might be the ones with the rebates and therefore the best value.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Does anybody know what the powertrain will be for the next generation GM minivan? I suspect, knowing GM, that they will slide the "new" 3.5 liter pushrod V6 from the Malibu into the next generation van, thus perpetuating their death grip on the past. Is there any chance the Honda 3.5 V6 could find a new home? Will it have a five speed automatic?

Logic - nice jab at Toyota. How much would you like to bet that the current Sienna is miles ahead of whatever it is GM manages to cobble together over the next few months?
    The High Feature 3.6 might make it into the Buick Terraza. Otherwise, expect the 3.5 Pushrod if it'll fit and if not the Saturn 3.0L tuned for more HP. If they go with the Honda engine, Honda will have to upgrade the Odyssey and Pilot engine to make sure it doesn't dilute the value of both of their crown jewels.
    They'll probably use the TL's engine in the next Odyssey. It does make 270 HP!
    I've been waiting for any news on the next gm vans, so last week's announcement is welcome. Even if it doesn't have the sales lead, Sienna is the best van out there right now and gm needs to match or surpass it on every level. Safety has to be #1 followed by convenience features. Remote starting (ala malibu) should be avail. and they better have 8 pass. seating with a split third row seat. I can't believe that Ford and Nissan missed the boat on that.
    A ha! Where GM can get a jump over a Sienna!!!!!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    is a feature you can buy anywhere for about a 100 bucks. Ford offers it on the Windstar, too... So GM should look for something else to be a top leader :-) LOL!

"I can't believe that Ford and Nissan missed the boat on that..."

My question is to Nissan only, b/c they designed a brand new van, with even more convenience and safety features than Sienna, ie. reverse mirror tilt, power adjustable pedals, second row folding seat, etc. So it's hard to understand how they missed the split rear bench. But Ford, on the other hand, are just updating the Windstar, and I'm almost sure that in the new 2006 or 2007 model minivan they will update this problem... Yeah, I know, it will be a little late by then...
    Where GM can get an advantage is offering a good quality, feature laden, reliable product at a price $2000 lower than the Sienna with out rebates. That's how you'll win import customers like me. (I'm on my 3rd Honda getting ready for a 4th)
  • sanfrandansanfrandan Member Posts: 20
    JChan -

The problem with reliability for GM is that it will take years of successful cars before we believe that GMs can match Honda and Toyota. Additionally, so long as GM still sells dogs like the Astro and Cavalier, it taints their entire product line.

- SFD
    are on the market.

The Astro is so popular with small contractors - it is rwd and has tremendous tow and load capacity for its size - GM can not afford to dump it without something to take its place.

A car based, fwd mini-van will never be able to tow 5,200 pounds like the Astro or carry as much inside either.
    GM won't get rid of the Astro due steady demand. They have a unique product that nobody has challenged (now that the Aerostar is gone - long gone).

What bothers me is that GM has failed to make any significant changes to this vehicle in the past ten years. They may actually be able to sell a few more of these for family applications if they would make the interior more flexible and the dash more appealing. I like the Astro, but I wish GM would make some long overdue investments.

When will we get our first peek at the new vans - any idea?
    First Peek? The press release the same day as the van name release was about the Grand AM replacement the G6. It said the G6 would debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Since the van press release didn't make any simular statements, one may assume they would not be on display at Detroit (although it makes the most sense). The next big auto show that GM uses is Chicago which I beleive is in March. SO if not Detroit, it would have to be Chicago. (I'm not ignoring LA, but since it is almost the same time as Detroit, I don't think LA would get the debut).
    at NAIAS. More likely, the mini-van prototypes will debut at the Chicago Auto Show in February or New York in March.

Saturn usual new product cycle is usually a few months ahead of main line GM brands. I wonder if the Relay will be available first (say around late July 04), with the other brands launching later in 04 or early 05.

With fewer Saturn outlets, a Saturn first launch will allow the Doraville factory to ease up production. (of course doing so would also allow larger competitors to grab more sales)

I wonder if maybe GM could use the Colorado/Canyon platform to affordably make an Astro replacement? Towing capacity would have to be increased.
    "I wonder if maybe GM could use the Colorado/Canyon platform to affordably make an Astro replacement?" - Logic

Well, of course they could. GM can do almost anything if they put their best and brightest on the job. I'm confident that the collective brain trust at GM could make a new concept car out of a dust bunny and a safety pin. :-)

The question is, WILL they make a new RWD/AWD minivan based on the Colorado/Canyon platform? I would certainly consider a 2nd Generation Astro as a replacement for my Quest in a few years.
    The GM vans i think will be released in different places. The Relay will premiere in Miami, the Uplander in Detroit, and the Terrazza in New York. An Astro replacement could be do-able if you use the Colorado/Canyon platform and find a way to stick the torque-rich 4.2 I6 from the TrailBlazer.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I believe GM's recent UAW agreement allows them to close (in 2005) the van plant in Baltimore that builds the Astro...
    What will replace the Astro?
    I hope a van based off the Colorado/Canyon platform that can squeeze into the Wilmington, DE plant for cost-cutting. Also, if a replacement does come out, it probably will be built in limited numbers.
    Most people will chose the Uplander over the Astro at the Chevrolet Dealership.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Who goes to their local Chevy dealer to pick up a new Astro for their growing family? Yuck! Maybe a painter or something...
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    As current Venture owner, I would not like to see drastic changes in the vehicle. The current van is not outstanding but does many things well.

The 8 passenger seating is versatile with the fold flat seat in the back and individual seats in the middle.

The Venture is as reliable as my old Camry.

An SUV look with AWD would be nice. Better lower back support in the drivers seat. Better MPG.
    Agree. The Astro is not really a family vehicle. It is a samller work vehicle.

FWD format mini-vans are best for most personal applications.
    Isn't Wilmington, DE slated to be the plant for the Pontiac Solstice? I thought I remember that from a couple months back.

Good theory on different locations. Guess that would leave Chicago to Pontiac.