Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

I hope GM makes these new minivans a success. I hope they all have individual looks and personalities and have all the features like roll-down windows in the second row, fold-flat third row seat, power liftgate, and such all with plenty of room. Anybody else interested in these?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    libertycat, it's IN Future Vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    and they should have pretty wood trim (lots of it), forward/backward and sideways moving second row, and AWD available.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Two years before the new Sienna, an active conversation was going on about it. Shows how Japanese vehicles are preferred over Americans SO much BY Americans. Silly.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    libertycat-

Well, there really is no substantial information about these vehicles available. That is, I have never seen a spy photo, artist's rendering, or meaningful list of specs. All I know is that they will be styled in a more SUV-like manner. I'm expecting something along the lines of a first-gen Mazda MPV. At any rate, GM better hurry up and get these things out. The current minivans' safety ratings are inexcusable.

-Andrew L
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Sure would give current Saturn Owners something to upgrade to other than a lousy Venture.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    We are approx. a year away of these new vans, and still no information... nothing! Are there any secrets behind this new van? Are a few good surprises awaiting us? Something earthshaking? ;-)
    I think GM is trying to be like Honda. Hide everything until the last minute. You see- GM is trying to excite us, so we go and see the car at some auto show. (And also, while we're at the auto show- GM can advertise to us by parking a Buick Century and a Chevrolet Cavalier next to the Saturn Relay, which everyone is crowded around, so then they might sell some Cavaliers- who knows?
  • pkschulpkschul Posts: 1
    I have read that the new Saturn minivan will not be built at a Saturn facility and that it will NOT have polymer side panels.
    A Saturn isn't a Saturn until it gets those polymer door panels and manufactuered at a Saturn plant. What were those GM engineers thinking when they decided on that?
  • jchan2-

I agree -- if GM wants to suck the last bit of originality out of Saturn, that's the way to do it. I like some things about GM, but sometimes I wonder whether they make their decisions by coin flips.

-Andrew L
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    GM has already screwed up the Saturn line-up. They may as well keep the trend gong and take away the polymer doors as well. My prediction is the Saturn Relay will not get built and Saturn as we know it today is gone within 3-4 years like Olds.
    should come. I mean, some people who bought the original Saturn probably have a family now and are probably driving a Honda Odyssey, waiting for the day when Saturn will make the minivan for them. One with polymer door panels, great reliability, good value, and great customer service. The Saturn concept, portrayed in 1990, is gone. Now we have a Saturn selling unreliable L-Series cars based on an Opel and IONs sharing platforms with other GM cars and VUEs lending it's platform to Chevrolet. In other words, the true Saturn is dead and all we have left is a Saturnized Opel, and 2 Saturns who have loaned their bodies to Chevrolet. The real Saab is dead too. Now, Saab has a dressed up Malibu, and an Saabized Opel. (Saturn L-Series platform) I guess the damage is too deep to repair.
  • Getting back to this board's purpose, I think its about time GM produce 'gotta have' minivans. I really want to buy American this time around, so I hope GM includes all the best features of today's field, which happen to be all contained in the Indiana-produced Toyota Sienna. I can't beleive that Ford and Nissan missed the boat by not offering a split third row on their new offerings. This, and great safety scores, is a deal breaker for me.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    do not get recalled like the Sienna.
    I WANT POLYMER DOOR PANELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    All Saturn buyers I know stick with the company. Either if they don't buy a new car or they do... each one has great reviews about there experiences. No troubles at the dealers.... As what you said in #16 jchan2, the people who probably rode around in S-Series doing the early nineties probably have children now and own a Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey or any of the other minivans. Saturn drew a lot of customers when they created the VUE. My friend thought of buying one since she recently had a child. I reccomended it to her and she is still thinking. If Saturn continues to make the Relay, it will be a very good idea.
  • Hey, if you want polymer doors, i hope you get them. I wouldn't mind them at all. I just want a gm van that get the same or better mpg than today's gm vans, and with more features and better safety scores. They better keep the eight passenger seating option.
    I hope they don't blow the intro as we may be getting on as soon as they are released. We need one now, and I'm holding off the wife until next year.
    I'll bet that my friend's daughter will trade in her SL2 for an L-Series soon.
    8-passenger seating would help. No markups- Saturn advantage over Buick and chevrolet. Probably less inventory however.
  • http://media.gm.com a Sept 8th release

Buick Terraza
    Chevrolet Uplander
    Saturn RELAY
    Pontiac Montana SV6
  • I kind of like Relay and Terraza, but Uplander? We already have a Freelander and an Outlander. What's next, Inlander, Overlander and Wonderlander? Montana SV6 also sounds like a superficial name for a vehicle that probably shouldn't be in the lineup at all. Just give Pontiac a decent midsize crossover (even a restyled and renamed Aztek would probably do the trick) and let the other divisions have the minivan market.

If GM can just fix the safety issues (see iihs.org) with its vans, that will be a big step forward. They are a pretty good value as is, except for that major flaw.

-Andrew L
    The Relay and Terraza sound fine to me, but the Uplander sounds too much like Freelander and Outlander. Next up, we'll have a Pontiac Downlander! Montana SV6 sounds hashed together in a desperate attempt to find a name.
  • The Montana SV6 name may just be a transition. The new Grand Am replacement will be called the G6, so perhaps a year later the van will be just SV6 (Sport Van 6 cylinder).

And in the iihs funded "injury, collision, and theft losses" reports (available at their site) for 9/00, 9/01, and 9/02 have a GM van in one of the top two spots 5 out of 6 times. (9/00 Pontiac #2, 9/01 Pontiac #1-Olds #2, 9/02 Olds #1-Pontiac #2) The reports ranks them as "substantially better then average". We can only hope the new generations will feature the same real world performance.
    What we can hope for is a minivan that is as good or better than the Sienna. Now that's something!
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    ....I agree, they're sure doing the *lander thing to death.(& don't forget the Crosslander and Highlander too!) Saturn & Pontiac versions look the best to me (Buick will probably be out of our price range). Sure would be great to have some pics.
    If the van proves to be flying off lots Sienna Style, then the Saturn will be the best deal. No markups or shady dealers. If the vans flunk, the Uplander might be the ones with the rebates and therefore the best value.
  • Does anybody know what the powertrain will be for the next generation GM minivan? I suspect, knowing GM, that they will slide the "new" 3.5 liter pushrod V6 from the Malibu into the next generation van, thus perpetuating their death grip on the past. Is there any chance the Honda 3.5 V6 could find a new home? Will it have a five speed automatic?

Logic - nice jab at Toyota. How much would you like to bet that the current Sienna is miles ahead of whatever it is GM manages to cobble together over the next few months?
    The High Feature 3.6 might make it into the Buick Terraza. Otherwise, expect the 3.5 Pushrod if it'll fit and if not the Saturn 3.0L tuned for more HP. If they go with the Honda engine, Honda will have to upgrade the Odyssey and Pilot engine to make sure it doesn't dilute the value of both of their crown jewels.