Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• I'm really sorry to hear about your sister's problems. But you really have to take Consumer Reports ratings with a grain of salt, especially with new models (or 1 year old models). The reason I say that is that they have a strong tendency to bias against certain brands and vehicle types. Ex.- some new import vehicles get a pass on ratings altogether for the first 18 - 24 months as "too new to rate", while you get crap like you just mentioned for other vehicles right from the start as "expected reliability", etc., regardless of them having had no time to gather reports.

Hope your sister gets a satisfactory resolution. No problems here with our 2005 Terraza yet (under 5000 miles so far though).
  • poz4poz4 Posts: 2
    Is this complant on the Uplander, sorry I'm new
  • poz4poz4 Posts: 2
    I'm so glad a found this forum. We purchased our Uplander in July of 05 and its been a nightmare ever since. Our biggest problem has been the alternator. Been in the shop for the better part of a month, however I have the dealership behind me and the say for certain that this is a safety issue. We called GM customer service. What a joke that was, they told us to be patient and give GM a chance to fix the problem, HELLO!! I've got two kids that I cart around constantly, headlights are rather important. Then they told us that the problem wouldn't get worse, well their high-priced engineers didn't foresee this minor oversight did they. I filled for arbitration on Friday. I think we are in for a hell of a fight. Do any of you have any advice that might make for a stronger case?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    A statement from the dealership stating that this is a safety issue might help.

Since the dealership has acknowledged that this is a safety issue, did they provide you with a loaner car?
  • yes this is a complaint on the uplander
  • Did you see my previous post? Call the NHTSA and the FTC and file complaints right away. They will begin a federal investigation and get these jokes of a vehicle off the roads for good. Don't count on the engineers I was told the same thing in september and found a complaint on the NHTSA ODI website from november of 04 stating the caller had been told the same thing. Do not give GM a chance-Like I said I have been waiting since september. Also, insist you will not put your children in the unsafe vehicle they built and you unknowingly purchased. Explain to the dealership the extent of their liability and that if something happens to you and your children because of this widespread defect they have known about for ages and cannot fix your family will hold them accountable. Take your vehicle to the dealership and refuse to pick it up and request a GM provided rental on the grounds that you cannot safely drive your vehicle. Are you aware that GM tech support is fully aware of this problem and is admitting to the dealers that 5% of these "suspect" vehicles cannot be repaired? Yet, they refuse to take them back without a fight. This problem goes way beyond these cars simply being "lemons". This is purely an act of negligence on GM's part to continue to sell these vehicles they know they cannot fix. And one more thing-The dealership will ultimately side with gm if they have to choose. Loosing one customer is better then biting the hand that feeds them. And make sure you do not get back into another GM car again. You have seen the quality of their customer service and it is only going to get worse.
  • I have a 2005 Uplander and I have the noise. Does it sound like when you blow through two blades of grass (a childhood thing). The dealership has attempted fixing it with replacing the roof rack, resealing the windhshield, tightening the XM radio antenna and has supposedly done noise testing. Service department has had the van 5 times since we purchased the car in Feb 2005 for this problem.

As a result of starting the arbitration process, a GM area manager came today to test drive the van. Without me or anyone in the car with him, he was unable to hear the noise in the windshield. He thinks the noise that I am hearing is from the nail in my rear right tire!!

This along with many other problems with my van...I believe we are beginning an uphill battle with GM.

Where do you get the service bulletins?
  • Have similiar problem. When my engine reaches normal operation temperature there is a rattle, ticking sound coming from the driver side. With the brake applied, I get a vibration in the steering wheel. The car sounds great and no steering wheel vibration when the car is cold. The dealer recognized the problem and replaced all the lifters. However, no solution. I called GM and escalated the issue. Their response was that it was a characteristic of the van. I thought characteristics were of a positive nature e.g. quietness. Characteristic is GM's euphenism for problem. The problem began day one (4 months now). GM/dealer advised me to wait for service bulletins. But how long can I wait? I do not feel comfortable with the vibration when driving in a stop and go traffic. I brought the van to the dealer 4 times with this problem. They first told me I was the only one to notice this and then told me they noticed these characteristics on other 2005 Montanas. I drove a 2005 Uplander rental without any problems. Perhaps my van is a lemon. I should at least get a replacmenent vehicle if they cannot solve the problems. Any suggestions?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    drakedarbymom, you can find service bulletins for any vehicle right here at Edmunds.com. Here's a link:

Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• We have had our Pontiac SV6 for about 4 months now and the service department at the dealer where we bought it has had it more than I have. This van started out a NIGHTMARE and just got WORSE!!! It started with the dimming lights and the radio that wouldnt work, then there was noise from the engine that was coming through the dvd player and then the power doors were openin on their own...UGH BUT, the best of all was when I had my 3 year old in the rear passenger seat and I was driving down the road and the DOOR OPENED!!! Okay, that is a MAJOR SAFETY HAZARD!! After taking my van into the shop over 15 times and threatening them with a lawsuit, GM has finally agreed to do a vehicle buyback, but get this, I have made 2 payments in the last 2 months on a vehicle I have not even had possession of....UGGGHHHH For those of you who think that the lemon law is easily filed, let me tell you that it is about a 2month process and is VERY frustrating.... :sick: :cry: :mad:
    haditwithmyvan,

Sorry you've had so many problems. You might want to visit the NHTSA to see if others have had similar problems and, if you wish, file a complaint:

NHTSA: Office of Defects Investigation

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I guess i'm one of the lucky ones.
    I got my Uplander in March '05 and have had little trouble.

The worst problem has been the bodyside moulding that has started loosening. I took it to the dealer, he ordered the part and it came in next day. I called him to find out what method he was using to reinstal the moulding after reading here that several have had it installed over 5 times.
    The dealer said he was sent a redesigned moulding that has a screw/stud that locks down the moulding at both ends.

I also complained about vibration during moderate braking.
    The dealer recut the rotors.

I have noticed a slight dimming while driving.
    The dealer replaced the alternator.

When I got the Uplander, I noticed that the Chevy Bowtie Logo at the rear was installed crooked.
    The dealer reordered and remounted a new one.

And, My horn was always very dificult to use.
    The dealer said that be found a service bulletin and repaired the horn so that it operates easier.

The best part of all was that the Dealer got me a rental
    ('06 Tahoe) and I absolutely loved it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how professional my dealer was. I would gladly buy there again.

Jesse
  • Hi, I am new to edmunds.com and would like to know how to find other complaints about the uplander, sv6, relay and terezza. How do I do that?
  • I am in the middle of arbitration with GM over my 05 Pontiac SV6. My van has been in the shop more than 15 times since I bought it just over 4 months ago. I cannot discourage anyone enough from buying one of GM's 4 new minivans(saturn relay, pontiac sv6, buick terezza and chevy uplander). I have done my research since I have had so many problems and was TOTALLY amazed at how many of these vans are on the road and 90% of them all have the same problems. I dont understand how GM can justify selling these faulty and unsafe vehicles. GM is buying my van back from me but only after months and months of my constant complaints and threats. They just dont understand why I am not happy with the way they have handled it when they keep telling me, "sorry, that is just how the van doors work". As far as I know, the van door should NOT open while I am driving down the road, with my 3 year old in the back seat. :mad: :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Believe me, you are NOT the only experiencing the flickering light problem. I own an 05 pontiac SV6 which is the same as the uplander and relay and I have had my van in the shop over 15 times since I bought it just over 4 months ago.
    These are just a few of my problems...
    1. Flickering lights(headlights and inside lights)
    2. Whistling noise when accelerating
    3. Doors open on their own(power sliding doors)
    4. Doors open when in drive (major safety hazard)
    5. Side moulding popping off
    6. Faulty fuel gage (says low fuel even though there is a half a tank in it)
    7. Radio only works part of the time
    AND ON AND ON AND ON......
    GM is currently in the process of buying my van back from me but only after my constant complaining and threats. The lemon law/buy back process is almost as frustrating as taking ur van into the shop every other day. Do NOT let GM or your dealership push you around, put your foot down and tell them that you do NOT feel safe with your children in the car anymore and do NOT want to drive it again. That is what I had to do. If your dealer does not do anything for you, then call GM direct. Just be firm.
    GOOD LUCK...
  • I don't blame you for being upset, especially about the door opening while the van is in motion. I am also glad you've finally convinced them to buy back the van. From reading these forums it appears that there are a small number of these vans that have numerous electrical problems that sometimes cannot be resolved. My Uplander, with 12,000 miles, has been great so far. I did take it in for the recalls on the alternator and the harmonic balancer. I also hear the whistling noise for a few seconds when accelerating under cold conditions. While these problems are annoying they aren't a big deal to me. If you read the Oddessy site you may be quite surprised to read the minor issues that those owners are dealing with too. The headlight fluctuation, side moulding issues, and whistling noise are, unfortunately, fairly common problems repaired under warranty. Thankfully, the door opening situation is not.

I recently read on a Saturn forum that the Saturn Relay came in second place in a Strategic Vision intial quality survey for 2005. None of the other GM models were tested, but I'd assume quality would be pretty consistent. My conclusion on these vans is that there were a few vans built with an electrical ghost that is haunting mechanics. The remaining 99% are good with the exception of a few minor issues. For the money, I'm still very satisfied. If I had your issues, I'm sure it would be a different story.
    Hi, haditwithmymom,

This is the place. There are more than 2000 posts in this discussion and a number of them concern problems and issues with these vehicles. The hope is that the discussion doesn't become a soapbox filled with one-way rants, because they don't really help anyone. Ideally, it's about members who've had similar experiences helping other members to solve their problems.

• Anybody had problems with and/or found a solution to the erratic fuel gauge problem? This issue was discussed in several posts on this board back in March 05, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside. I notice my fuel gauge fluctuating when it gets below 1/4 of a tank. I also "ran out of gas" when parked slightly down hill last month, but once I rolled the van level, it started and registered 1/4 of a tank! Any one else having these issues? I checked with GM and there is not yet a TSB on this issue.
  • kcoreykcorey Posts: 130
    My '05 Terraza was doing the same thing...I brought it into the dealer and had him replace the alternator. Everything is fine now. The service manager said that not to replace it with an "on-hand" alternator, but to order a new one. Apparantly there is a problem with the older ones.
    Oops... I can't believe I referred to you as "haditwithmymom". Must've been a Freudian slip of the fingers. :sick: