Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• stobarstobar Posts: 110
    genmtrfan, I could not agree with you more. Although I've had a few bugs that have needed to be ironed out (which all have been taken care of), I have been very satisfied with my '05 Buick Terraza. Hard to believe that they would phase out a model after only 3 years. I believe there is still a need for minivans, and we decided on the Terraza after comparing gas mileage with many of the SUVs. This will only swing more minivan customers to Ford and Chrysler. We previously owned a '01 Olds Silhouette and once again, we will own a model that is being phased out. I intend on keeping the Terraza for a few years. Here's hoping the new CSV's will have the same capacity as the minivans.
  • Hi bought a 99 Transport 2yrs ago, this summer was out of town visiting friends and trany starting jerking and hard shifting. I checked fluid it was a bit low ( no signs of leaks at all?) has me wondering.Topped it up, has been fine with the exception of a little hard shifting a few times. Had trany fluid flushed a month ago now its got worse. Anyone pulled one apart before any tips, anyone had one replaced? how much? any help would be nice
  • After reading all of the recent posts I thought I would just check in and compare notes. I bought a Saturn Relay 3 (2006) model in October. After the purchace I drove it out to Vermont, from Washington State, and back, a round trip of 7,600 miles. I purchased the version with AWD, as I carry a 400lb powerchair in the back and needed the auto leveling system. I have only one power sliding door, (I wished I could have gotten two of them,) and both front seats are power.
    So far at 12,000 miles or so, I have had no problems. None. The only light flicker I notice is the dash lights will flicker when under hard acceration. I suspect the alternator/regulator cannot keep track of the load when all of the lights are on, radio, AC, etc. and then have a sudden RPM change...
    But so far no rattles, no whistles, no rotor problems, AC works good (note here: I talked with the service rep about low output and he stated that at some temps, i.e. below 40 or so, the AC just wont run) and have some problems with clearing fog from the windows (see previous note).
    All said and done I would buy it again.

Mark Delagasse
    Yakima, WA
  • gmplusgmplus Posts: 1
    I totally agree! I'm currently driving a Pontiac Montana, and am very impressed. I may be a bit biased because I've been a minivan fan since the outset. In my opinion the Montana is an exceptionally responsive and well thought-out vehicle, and given the low price tag it's a tremendous value. Unfortunately, GM mangement has made the decision to abandon the CSV market. I don't know all the factors, but I do know it's typical for GM to kill a program just about the time they "get it right." What's even more ironic is that actually people see the Montana as a crossover. For GM's sake I hope there are lots of buyers looking to spend an additional $10,000 to replace their Uplanders and Montanas.
  • 2005-2006 Buick Terraza: Reliability
    Trouble Spots

Here's a good link and list of know problems with the GM vans. In this case the Buick. I am sure it fits true for all of its sister models.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2005-to-2006-buick-terraza-2.htm

Check-engine light: The check engine light may come on due to failure of the EGR valve. The Delphi valve is to be replaced with a Seimens valve kit and have the PCM flashed. (2005-06)
    Electrical problem: The PCM was being replaced for a defective chip under a voluntary emissions recall because it affected the fuel pump and EGR system. (2005)

Electrical problem: If the OnStar system quits or won't come on (no power), but comes back to life if the fuse is removed for five minutes, the vehicle communications interface module must be replaced or else the problem will recur. (2005-06)

Engine noise: A whistling noise from the 3.5L engine during acceleration is corrected by replacing the PCV tube. (2005)

Engine stalling: The engine may not start, may start then quit, and/or assorted warning lights may glow because the wiring connector under the driver seat may get wet and the contacts corrode. (2005-06)

Fuel gauge: The engine may not start or may stall because the tank is empty yet the gauge shows fuel remaining, or the fuel gauge will not show full after refilling due to sulfur corrosion of the fuel level sender and if after treating with Fuel System Cleaner PLUS the problem remains, the sender may need to be replaced. (2005-06)

Headlights: The headlights and interior lights may flicker requiring replacement of the alternator. (2005)

Horn: The horn may require extra pressure on some spots of the steering wheel pad. Softer springs are available to retrofit. (2005-06)

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs

This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost

A/C Compressor $855
    Alternator $610
    Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $3,240
    Brakes $540
    Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing
    Constant Velocity Joints $1,520
    Exhaust System $540
    Radiator $650
    Shocks and/or Struts $930
    Timing Chain or Belt $760
    NHTSA Recall History

2005 Terraza: The emergency brake may not fully disengage when released, causing unintended braking while accelerating, decelerating, or coasting. Dealer will inspect the parking brake lever and replace the rear brake calipers as necessary.

2005 Terraza: When parking brake is released, driver may notice unintended braking while accelerating, decelerating or coasting, accompanied by noise from rear of car.

2006 Terraza: Some vehicles may have a misprinted tire and loading label that lists inaccurate capacity weights. Dealer will replace the label.
  • Haven't been to the forum for quite a while but I too had the same experience with my brakes as I drove through the Allegheny Mountains in PA. However, when the downward incline is not so great, the brakes work fine--and they run normally on relatively level ground.
  • That vintage van, up to 2000, has problems with the EPC (electronic pressure control)solinoid. The part is around $100.00, but the labor is almost 7 hours. The transaxle side cover hase to be removed and that process is quite involved. The problem can be verified by checking for trouble codes first and following the flow chart for the circuit. The problem you describe I would give a 99% chance of it being the EPC solinoid. My service facility changed quite a few of these solinoids. For the most part though, that transaxle was dependable.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Since this is something other owners might be looking for, I've moved these posts to a new discussion:

Uplander/Montana/Relay/Terraza TSBs and Problem Codes

Claire

HOST

• We have an 06 Terrazza and out of the blue, just had to have the fuel pump replaced. Vehicle would crank but not start, had to have it towed to the dealership for the repair, so a heads-up to all Terrazza owners....possibly others as well of course. Dave
  • Anyone know where the fuse is for the Rear Seat Entertainment System (DVD Player)? Everything else is working fine but that so it must be the fuse. I opened the interior fuse panel at the end of the dash (passenger side) and there is nothing marked for the DVD Player or RSE system, just a fuse for the radio and it works fine? Can anyone help - save me a trip back to the Dealer????
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • Dave there was similar problem with fuel pumps caused by a faulty PCM (Power Control Module). Did you get your work done under warranty?

Electrical problem: The PCM was being replaced for a defective chip under a voluntary emissions recall because it affected the fuel pump and EGR system. (2005)
  • The work was done under warranty - so far, it seems like it was only the fuel pump....no PCM problems. Everything else works fine, though they also found a bad cell on the battery so they replaced that under warranty as well. A bad cell (causing battery drain) on a battery that is less than 16 months old.....great GM quality once again but at least it was all under warranty. Dave
  • edmcedmc Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on a 2001 Bonneville. Can you give any more details of how the solution was diagnosed?
  • alastanalastan Posts: 10
    Has anyone recorded DVDs for use in their van? If so, what recording format works for you? I want to purchase a DVD recorder to record TV shows for the kids to watch, but my Buick owner's manual says that DVD+R and DVD+RW "may or may not be supported by the DVD player" and that other DVD formats do not work. I don't want to waste money on a recorder if recordings won't work in the van.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    I've been copying our VHS tape collection over to DVD+R discs. The brand and lot of discs themselves can make as much difference as the type (+R vs. -R). The brand I've been using so far is Verbatim, and have a purplish tint to the recording surface.

And these also seem to play fine in the van, though the green label Verbatim +RW discs worked pretty well too.

The first bunch of recordings I made was using an MPEG2 converter connected to my PC (input video / audio to the MPEG2 box connections, connected it to the PC using USB2 port), along with some editing software and the DVD burner in my PC. But by far the most of my copies have been made since I purchased a Philips standalone DVD recorder and hooked it up in my entertainment system.

The Philips works pretty much like a VCR, if a bit slow to initialize when you first turn it on and slow to load disc information when you insert one (recorded or blank). The reason I bought it was that it's much quicker and easier to use than the PC route, which usually involved tons of software and settings. With the standalone I just select the input I want to record, insert a blank disc, and set the recording quality mode (HQ, SP, SPP, LP, etc.) like you'd do for a VCR tape. It shows me the image from the source along with a brief display of the recording time based on the blank I have inserted and the recording mode I've selected. Then it's basically just hitting the record button to start and the stop button to end (or using the quick setting that lets you set it to record 30, 60, etc. minutes). It can also be programmed to record a certain channel at a certain time, and appears to have VCR+ built in, but I only use mine for dubbing old VHS tape to DVD, so I can't vouch for how well it works using those features.
  • rlmiller9rlmiller9 Posts: 48
    We have a 2005 relasy that has the same problem, normally not till 80mph, but depending on the wind speed and direction it can be deafning at 60 !!!
  • skunk1skunk1 Posts: 1
    I got a letter from my dealer. It says that they have been looking for 2005 Terraza to re-purchase. Is this a come-on or for real. Anyone else have this lettter? :)
  • rlmiller9rlmiller9 Posts: 48
    Giant come on, you have the car (like me) it is decent, but people are looking for this ?
    I am sure you already knew the answer to this, but hey :)
  • tayerstayers Posts: 1
    I have ANOTHER issue with my '06 Terraza. I noticed yesterday while my headlights were on. The switch was on "auto" and it was a sunny 95° day outside. I flipped the switch off and received the warning message "Headlights Suggested". It seems as thought the daylight sensor had stopped working and my car now thinks I need to run my headlights all the time. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • morewasabimorewasabi Posts: 58
    How many times has this happened? Have 22,000 miles on our 05 Terraza and its been pretty much trouble free. Only exception was a bad heater hose connection that had to be replaced when we first got it. Its been a very fun and useful minivan with most people complimenting the ride and look.

Just took it on a long trip up and down mountain roads and got 21plus MPG round trip. On the highway getting over 24 as high as 27 with the 3.5 ltr engine.