Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• All the Oldsmobile emblems are in; we are utilizing the larger ones from the 1998 Olds Silhouette. We will select the maroon/red color on the Terraza and go from there. As far as warranty claims go, the VIN will take care of that detail. If you have seen the new DC vans you have got to agree that they have the smallest 2nd and 3rd row seats. If I am going to have "captain's chairs" I don't want to sit in steerage class seats! I don't need seats that fold totally flat if I have to compromise comfort and style. Of course, more later . . .
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I sat in the DC vans' 2nd row and found it reasonably comfy. Better than the last generation Venture, IMO, but not as comfy as the new Quest's 2nd row.

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    what are the changes you will make to the Terraza to make it an Oldsmobile besides slapping on a different badge? Different wheels?
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    Yep, it is the Rendezvous.
    I guess I guessed right for once!
  • jchan2-see post # 1086. GM has very minor cosmetic differences on their upcoming 2005 GM minivans - and there are several 17" wheels available from aftermarket suppliers. Plus the personalized license plate we select will leave no doubt as to the conversion!
    good luck on the conversion. You might want to talk to the newspaper about it and say you have the all new redesigned and unique Oldsmobile Silhouette.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    In Canada right now you can lease a GM van for 1% for 48 months and get $4750 cash back from GM. A buddy of mine just leased a Venture, what a steal of a deal. Seems like minivans are a giveaway these days with sales falling. Everyone except maybeToyota seems to be giving them away.
    If you want a Venture, now's the time to buy one. (I think there's like $4000 cash on the Chrysler Town & Country)
    The local dealer has some Siennas down to just $200 over invoice. Ironically the loaded up models have much higher margins so people must want those more.

-juice
    must be gone already if they're being offered at $200 over invoice. Were the models stripped down CE models? Or were they the popular LE/XLE models?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Really?! Thats not what carsdirect.com is showing for my zip, and very impressive given that the Sienna remains on the Wall Street Journal's monthly "Hot Off the Lot" list of vehicles with lowest days in inventory (at 15 days). Actually, of the top 10, 7 were Toyota products, 2 were Honda products, and 1 was GM (the interesting Cadillac XLR).

GM seems to be doing a lot of promo events lately. There's been a contest for the Buick Rainier for 4 months, that ends on Monday, and theres a contest to win a LaCrosse. I wonder if there will be a similar promo for the Terazza/Rebate/SV6/Uplander?

~alpha
    probably. Maybe they're going to give away 20 minivans- five of each of the versions. (Uplander, Relay, Montana SV6, Terraza)
    I was referring to LE models. Check out fitzmall.com if you're shopping around, they have several brands and sell at no-haggle prices.

-juice
  • spartanmannspartanmann Posts: 197
    Here in the States you'll find major incentives on most of GM, Ford and DC product lines. The vans have some of the highest rebates, but percentage wise, $4000 off of a Chevy Cavalier or Ford Ranger is staggering.
    Well, they offset any discounts with 5-6 price increases per year. The MSRPs are just adsurd.

Put that rebate on a price from when those car designs were launched and then you've got something.

-juice
    that's low for a Sienna LE.
    I've definitely noticed the MSRP price creep. Manufacturers are all getting a bit silly with it. I've never seen a time where prices on so many vehicles go up so many times within a year. Clearly it's all turned into a big game. Raise prices and incentives and the deal looks better right!? Even Saturn seems to be doing it a little which is sad. I guess they have no choice.
    to increase sales AND profit, you have to increase the MSRP and then throw a huge $3000 discount on it to make it look cheaper.
    Grand Caravan SE today, base MSRP: $24,975

Back in 2002: $21,785

So basically they've hiked the price up by more than $3 grand in just 2 model years, just so they could offer a bigger rebate.

Here's an idea, make the MSRP $125,000 and offer a $100,000 rebate, the price is still about the same. See what I mean?

GM vans are up, but not by that much. About a grand higher in the last 2 years.

-juice
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Looking at Edmunds MSRP pricing for 2005 Grand Caravan SE, the base model price is $21995 and the SE+ which includes the stow and go option is $24990.

I'm probably not comparing apples to apples because option mix changes from year to year, but it appears with the 2005 model year, DC rolled back the MSRP with the probable intent of not providing as many rebates as before. Were your numbers for the 2004 model compered to the 2002 instead of the 2005?
    I posted what Edmunds shows currently under New Cars. Probably is a 2004.

Interesting if they change their strategy. I guess we'll never see those $100,000 rebates after all!

I say hurray.

-juice
  • spartanmannspartanmann Posts: 197
    Agree with most of you on the silly rebate game, especially on brand new models that are introduced with a rebate (like the Ford Freestar).

DC appears to have stopped the madness on the 2005 vans. The base Grand Caravans with the stow and go seating appear to be competitively priced and similarly equipped to Honda, Toyota and Nissan.
    Another complaint I have is the options list - I mean, Dodge's is several pages long! You need a PhD just to figure out what it'll cost to get what you want!

In fairness, GM is a little better about this.

-juice
    Honda's even better at controlling the options list!
    Actually the current GM vans are not bad in the options. Honda is better but they cost a lot of $$$$$$$$$$. Yikes!
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Timely disscussion on MSRP and costs. At church saw a new 2004 Montana and spoke with the owner. Duplicated the 1997 he had without the 2 child seats and cassette radio and with the antitheft, heated mirrors, parking assist. MSRP difference was $1,900 (29,765 vs 27,859) or 6.8% more then the 1997. 6.8% over 7 years. (I think my cable bill went up 6% in January). With the $3000 rebate, the 2004 cost $1,000 less then the 1997, 7 years ago. So much for the theory of MSRP creep whipping out the rebate gains.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    Are the same old van, with different front facia, back bumper different interiors and new branding. Nothing new.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Nothing new if you don't count, the engine, brakes, interior, moldings, wheels, tires, audio systems, front fenders, hood, front frame rails, and names.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Its seems to be in the marketing definition. GM calls these all new crossover vans, but in Toyota speak, for example, the above changes wouldnt constitute a an "all new" designation. Witness the 2004 RAV4, which has a new engine, brakes, interior, moldings, wheel designs, hood, and standard stability control, as well as newly optional side curtains. Funny, they didnt call it "all new"?????

~alpha