Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Tested an Uplander LT extended.

Only incentives were 1.4% for 60 months or 0.5% lease rate for 36/48 months. No cash at all, but the dealer was willing to take off about $2500 with out me asking. List price was in the low $30K (Canadian) range I believe. It had remote start, On Star and big alloy wheels. Looked great.

Still considering it though we are not 100% a van is for us right now.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Prices are more reasonable so the discounts may be also. I remember our 2004 Montana RWB listed for around $33K and we got about $4800 cash plus 0.5% lease. It was crazy.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    I know there have been several posts about how hard it has been to find the vans in the equipment levels wanted. Our daughter's former school teacher is replacing her 1997 TransSport. She ordered a new SV6 on Wednesday February 23rd and it was built Monday February 28th and is expected at the dealer March 15th. Don't know what planets aligned to allow this, and I know most people looking are looking for the Terraza, but if you can't find the van today, check out ordering.
  • dannodanno Posts: 114
    Just to post a note on what percent is showing on my oil life minder - Uplander LT

4,654 kms (2,909 miles) - 53% remaining.

I operate in what I would call severe duty climate - frequent remote starts, sub-zero temps most of the winter, 50/50 highway city driving

What are other owners seeing?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    We're struggling with that "do we really need/want a van" thing too. Thought the new Mazda5 might work for us but it's a little too "tunerish" (is that a word?!) if you know what I mean. Those 17" wheels/50 series tires wouldn't have fared too well on the washboard logging road we drove last summer. If we do go the van route, it'll be the short wheelbase version...probably the SV6, though we'll check out the MPV again as well. Might even consider the short wheelbase version of the new Kia Sedona, though it probably won't arrive here until 2006. Really need a 4+2 or 5+2 seater but don't want to break the bank.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    It's not that we don't want a van, it's more that we have always had SUVs. The look of the Uplander appeals to me but my wife is not sold.

I'm working on her though. I like the standrd MP3 player, I can burn all those songs I have on my computer and listen to them!
  • My Terraza shows 40% Oil Life @ 5,600 kms (3,416 miles).
    Mostly highway. 40% towing a trailer
  • dannodanno Posts: 114
    Thanks wasdiesel.

Looks like this reinforces my thoughts that these vans will go about 9,000 kms or 5,600 miles between oil changes. GM has warrantied these to 100,000 kms at that oil change interval. Kind of blows the theory of 5,000 km oil changes out of the water. (assumes most modern engines have similar oil specs)

This huge oil conservation news.

The advertising has us changing oil twice as much as required.
  • heath2heath2 Posts: 6
    I just purchased the new uplander and noticed a few days later that the instrument lights flicker in unison with the headlights.The dealership stated that they have never heard of this before.I wonder, is the 120v a/c receptacle standard on these vehicles and could that be causing some kind of floating ground? My sister in-law owns the Saturn Relay and has the same problem.
  • My Terraza does not have the 100volt A/C outlet and was credited on the factory invoice.
    However, the flickering issue is there, but appears to be lessened after a recent service visit for that complaint amongst other minor points.
    We resisted getting a van for a long time but with 2 kids and gas prices where they were, the only alternative was a gas guzzling SUV. We could not be happier with our 04 Montana, mini vans are just so handy and I am only sorry we didn't get one earlier.
  • heath2heath2 Posts: 6
    Thanks for replying.I did hear about a chevrolet uplander going back to the dealership because the radio periodically would shut off on its own.I have electric doors on each side and I hope they will not fail.The electric rollouts for the rear windows is a nice feature.I have owned a '02 Tahoe,traded it on an '04 Avalanch(no plastic siding) and traded that for the Uplander.Out of the three the Uplander takes the gold due to the gas mileage and how easy it is to load and unload.
  • kermodekermode Posts: 17
    Having an extremely frustrating time ordering assessories for the new vans. Even though they are in the brochures finding information on availability is about impossible. Can't blame the dealers. GM should be ahead of the game and have them on offer when new models appear. Anybody else having similar problems? We ordered a new sv6. From initial order it took about 9 weeks to arrive at the dealership.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    How does the Oil Life monitor work in the Uplander? I have an Intrigue and it works on the number of revs of the engine and really isn't a good tester of the oil quality. I imagine the Uplander works the same way.

Personally, if this is your first oil change, I would change it at 3000 miles, then rely on the oil life indicator afterwards especially if you are driving under severe duty climate.

Just a thought.
  • brood1213brood1213 Posts: 27
    The monitor works with various sensors that check your altitude, oil temp, and etc. GM is going to be pushing this in the future.
  • goodeguygoodeguy Posts: 1
    Speaking of freaky electronic problems I have had my SV6 all of 10 days,....the 2nd day we noticed a buzzing in the speakers from the engine when we played the DVD player through the speakers....GM said they would not fix it and the dealer said he has had the problem in the other SV6 on his lot ( there was only 2)...so looks like a recall waiting to happen ( hopefully in my lifetime) in the meantime the cust svc rep told me " we will close your case and call you an unsatisifed customer" DUH!!! they don't seem to care too much...ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM????
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    A GM customer service rep told you that? For a GM installed DVD?

I think I'd escalate it up the chain; maybe a letter to the CEO is in order (or maybe you have one of those "on your side" TV shows in your area?).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The dealer will fix it I'm sure. If they acknowledged the problem and they are a good dealer, I'm sure they will let GM know. Strength in numbers.

Why would you call GM direct on a problem like that though? The dealer would fix that.
  • 2005 sv62005 sv6 Posts: 4
    I own an SV6 and have the same problem. Might be related to alternator. Supposedly GM is coming out with an alternator fix within the next month or so. All the new GM minivans have these kinds of electronic issues, which also may reak havoc on the engine/transmission control system. All the sensors and computers don't like electronic noise or volatge fluctuations, so you may also pay attention to engine idle, transmission shifting, and so forth. There are numerous complaints with those as well.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    Funny how GM is so poor on alternators. My family owns 3 3.8l Pontiac Bonnevilles and each has had about 4 or more alternators, you almost need to keep a spare in the trunk. The regulator part seems to give out. Back in 2000 I was looking for new cars and noticed the Old Intrigue I was test driving had the flickering headlights right off the lot and posters on this site alerted me to the fact that it was a problem with nearly all of them. It seems that GM still isn't out of the woods yet on Alternator design. My 98 Olds van looked to have had the Alternator replaced before I bought it. I don't get the flickering, so not sure what the difference is on ones that do and those that don't.

In contrast, my '88 Dodge Shadow had a 125 amp alternator that I drove for 13 years and I never touched the alternator, same for my Dad's 1970 Toyota, etc. Large diesel tractor trucks have alternators that last about over 500k or aboutu forever, just need brushes, so clearly this is an issue of trying to save $1.50 on parts and it causing problems.

As a GM fan, its disheartening to see problems that could be easily fixed persist.

DD
    It's not GM, it's GM's supplier that is making poor alternators. Our 2000 Intrigue had a slight lights flicker when it got cold but they had a fix for it and it's been fine ever since.

Problem is, car makers are cutting costs all the time and with that comes lower quality parts from the lowest bidder in some cases. That's my opinion and my conjecture though, I have nothing to back that up.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Lets keep in mind that the new generation vans use a charging system that is unlike every other GM vehicle but a handfull. As they have told the owners, the system is operating as designed. GM obviously has underestimated how much attention is played to the charging system output info. And somewhere along the line, some one (in house or suppplier) didn't take the operating characteristics of the new charging system. But they are working on the issue.
  • kcoreykcorey Posts: 130
    My Buick Terraza has a small (about the size of a Kleenex package) plastic "Housing" on the inside cover. What is it for? Buick customer service and the dealer don't know.
  • kcoreykcorey Posts: 130
    I've had my CXL for about 2 month...and really love it. I almost bought a Mercury Premier, but this was almost $5,000 less. I wish GM had put the radio antenna in the windshield (like my 2002 Olds), made the outside mirrors to fold flat, and put in a power tailgate. But overall, I really like it so far.
  • cla1cla1 Posts: 27
    Our Silo had a small "purse size" kleenex dispenser on the glove box door. Haven't checked the Terraza yet for that, I assume that's what it is. Our Buick Dealer gave us a bigger one to clip on the sun visor.
  • cla1cla1 Posts: 27
    Our CXL occasionally has no sound even though the radio display or DVD display show everything normally. It's only happened 3-4 times in 6 weeks. Has anyone else had this, is it related to the voltage issue. BTW, our voltage read out is sometimes 15, and other times 13.2. What's it supposed to be anyway? Yesterday on some errands it started at 14.6, slowly went down to 13.2--I assumed as the batter was recharged from starting it went back to 13.2. Today taking our granddaughter home, watching DVD it stayed at 15 all the way (about a 45 min trip.) Ideas?
  • My Saturn Relay has had no sound on the radio about 5 times in 1400 miles. It seems to restore after the car is sitting for a while. It acts like the memory has to drain before it will work again. Yesterday the heater would not give any heat but today after sitting over night it works again. I am also getting a Service Theft System light now. The OnStar button failed and I had to return it to the dealer to get that fixed. Maybe I shouldn't have purchsed a new model vehicle before they got all the bugs out.
  • 2005 sv62005 sv6 Posts: 4
    I think you might be talking about the interior air filter that filters the outside air coming into the inside of the van.
    Saw in the paper today they have short wheel base Uplander value vans (but still with OnStar) for C$19,999 (about$16000 US) cash buy. Both Ford and Chrysler have stripper vans for the same cash price. Not a bad deal for families on a budget!