Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I had 63,000 miles on the van, therefore it was out of warranty. I was lucky to even get a free transmission.
  • klmaklma Posts: 9
    In November I finally talked my husband into buying our first minivan and first foreign car, the 05 Odyssey, because I too believed that they were more reliable, etc.... I've changed my mind now! In two months the back seat latch broke and both electric sliders have stopped working. Also, we think there might be something wrong with it because it is such a bumpy ride. We are working with Honda to see what they will do about our problems. Most likely we will be selling our 05 Odyssey and looking for something else. Bummer! I really like the safety features (3 rows of airbags) as we've had several friends killed/injured in accidents. It also handles great in the snow.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    ...Bummer! I really like the safety features (3 rows of airbags) as we've had several friends killed/injured in accidents. It also handles great in the snow...

Hey, if these are the only 2 points you're in love with the Odyssey, than there is good news. All other large minivans (except for the GM's) do offer side curtain airbags for all 3 rows (and let me tell you a "secret": you will be equally protected whether the airbags are "standard" or "optional" equipped...), and all other vans will handle as great in snow, although the DC vans do not offer stability control. GM and Toyota will even give you AWD plus stability.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Sorry to hear that. I hope they'll do an exchange for you or something. As for the bumpy ride, I read on the Ody board that the culprit might be overinflated tires. Good luck, and let us know what happened.
  • I own a Montana SV6. It was as basic as I could find (26,645 MSRP including Delivery). Therefore I was researching the same question. I came across this bulletin at http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLcme.html#story1

Here is what it says

System 3 -- DVD RSE

The following two kits (p/n 15136091 and 15136092) are released for the 2005-07:

- Buick Terraza

- Chevrolet Uplander

- Pontiac Montana SV6

- Saturn Relay

TIP: The remote control will work only in these GM vehicles. Channel 2 of the wireless headphones will work only in these vehicles (Channel allows you to listen to DVD and Channel 2 allows you to listen to RSA).

There are two DVD systems available:

- A base system U56 comes with a remote control kit only (no headphones available).

- An uplevel system U42 comes with a remote control kit and a headphone kit (fig. 3).

TIP: Headphone kit TX3 can be added to either system.

TIP: Batteries are not included.

15136091 (Hosiden) Headphones Only Package (DVD RSE)

part number quantity item

15185391 2 Headphone Assembly

(Dual Channel Wireless)

15136092 (Hosiden) Headphones Only Package (DVD RSE)

part number quantity item

15190411 1 Control Assembly - Video Player Remote

TIP: If a kit is misplaced or was not shipped with the vehicle, follow established procedures for misplaced/missing components. The service part numbers for the kits are the same as the OEM part numbers.

Hope this helps. Bill.
  • Anytime you buy a completly redesigned vehicle in its first model year, you can expect these types of problems. If they are corrected under warranty you should be OK. I bought the original 99 Honday Odyssey and it had a few bugs as well. The vehicle was virtually trouble free from then on and now has 320,000 miles and still runs great. The new Quest and Sienna also have had their problems. In fact all of the Siennas were recalled originally for faulty gas tanks. In general it's always good to wait a year on a new vehicle. The bugs are usually worked out and often the popularity is gone as well which leads to a lower purchase price. Based on GM's track record it would be surprising if their new vans don't have a few bugs as well.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    The new GM vans aren't all that new. It's all fairly common or proven stuff. Doubt there will be much in the way of problems.
  • wdn1wdn1 Posts: 1
    I have researched the pricing structure with Edmunds. The dealerships have told me that the invoice pricing quoted by edmunds is not correct. The $28K invoice for a CXL should be $31k. This makes it hard to negotiate pricing when you are being told by the dealerships that you have incorrect pricing. How do you know who is giving you the correct information? I would like some ones advice since I am looking at the Buick Terraza.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Ask the dealer to show you their invoice and compare it to ours and Kelley's and everyone else's. Except for regional ad fees, they all should be within a hundred bucks of each other, if not identical.

Or just skip the back and forth and tell them what your bottom line is and negotiate to get that number, and avoid getting bogged down in the details of the line items, invoice/MSRP numbers, ad fees, ADM, etc. ad nauseum.

Steve, Host
  • It would appear that someone is mixing up their Terrezas. The Front Wheel Drive CXL would be $28++, and the All Wheel Drive would be $31ish.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I like the relay, it's front end looks good. I guess these vans are turning out to be better than some here predicted.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    Today my wife and I were at the local mall and a brand new sv6 parked next to a 04 Montana and the sv6 does look more like an SUV except the sliding doors. It has a more refined look to the body. With the kidney shaped grilles it does look like a beamer minivan. I was impressed with the looks. The couple that owned the van were leaving at the time that I was getting out of the minivan and the engine was quiet and the off the line power when they merged on the highway was very impressive. I really want to test drive one but our dealership does not have any on the lot. Every van that comes in is sold before they even get the wraps off from the factory. Apparently these are quite popular in this area.
    I still prefer the out side look of our 04 Montana but the SV6 is growing on me and the interior, all discs and engine are all a big improvement.
  • Sadly, you are correct that the new vans aren't all that new, but anytime you put a new drivetrain in a vehicle you can expect a few teething pains. For the new van not to have any significant problems would mean that GM has gotten its act together on new product launches. Lets hope so, but their track record is not encouraging.
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    Here is my situation. I will need a minivan in the near future (3rd child on the way). I currently lease a Saturn L300 and I can get out of that lease now (officially over at the end of May). If I stick with GM, then I will be looking at these "new" GM vans. From the research I have read, most of the competition (Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan) is still better, although the new GMs are significantly better. I do wish they had side airbags, but as long as they receive 5 star crash rating, I guess I am ok with that omission (for now).

Budget drives everything for me. I will probably lease again, or in GMs case, use the SmartBuy opion. Their own web page makes the payments seem a lot lower using the smart buy option. Still, I will negotiate the best price possible for this vehicle.

The question is, after checking the costs using this website, which van offers the best value? The Uplander LT is $28,209 TMV, the Buick CX (optioned like the LT) is $28,797 TMV, the Saturn 3 (again, optioned the same way) is $28,855 TMV and the Pontiac 1SB is $26,856 TMV. Since the Pontiac is the cheapest by almost $2k is this model the best value? I don't have a local Saturn dealer and don't want a dealer now that isn't close. Pontiac local dealer is small and they don't usually carry the vans, but they can order me one, $100 over invoice is their policy. Chevy dealers are local, but have not been able to get an Uplander in stock yet, and the Buick dealer is also not local, but not far away.

I also have a $1500/$750 loyal rebate check to use, but it expires at the end of this month. Could I apply it now, if I ordered something for later?

Also the incentives are not substantial now($1k for all but the Saturn, which is $1,250). Would it pay to wait a few more months, or will that hardly make a difference?

And lastly, should I just wait and get somthing else like the Honda or Toyota come June? With the GM Smartbuy, I should be able to get a van in the $325-$350 range, I don't know if I could get a comparable van from them in the same range.

Any and all advice is welcome. I've learned a lot from this site.

One more thing, this van will be the primary vehicle for my wife, and she isn't all that picky. It only gets driven about 8-10k miles a year at most. I am also going to need another commuter car soon (thinking Honda Civic) so I need to keep both payments reasonable. Thanks!
  • Get a GM card. You will get 5% credit for each of your purchases that can be used towards a GM Van. This is currently limited to $1,000. However, last fall/winter (ended 1/3/05) they "topped up" my points to $2,500 for a limited time and that's when I bought my Pontiac Montana SV6.
    spartanman : The drivetrain is all proven also. The 3.5L has been around for a couple of years and the transmission and Versatrak AWD system are all classic GM, very reliable. Very little in the way of likely issues.

irg : Strange that the Saturn isn't a bit cheaper given it's a fixed price? Also, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples with these vans in terms of options?
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    Hi Vanman1,

Pretty much, I am trying to compare the exact same models with the same features. Evne though they are all GM, they seem to package their vehicles diffrently, which makes it very confusing. I test drove a Uplander LT AWD last night. Nice van by the way. I need the AWD in the upstate NY region. Anyway, the only options this one had was the remote starting $175, and a 6 disc changer, somewhere like $500. The MSRP is $32,895. A similarly equipped Pontiac SV6 (need to include the convenience package, climate package and side airbags to be similar)is $30,930. Not a huge difference, but some.

Part of the reason I think is that both Pontiac and Buick offer the AWD versions in 2 models, for Potiac the 1SA or 1SB, same thing with Buick, whereas the Chevy and Sturn only offer the AWD in their top of the line version, LT for Chevy.

It just struck me as odd, that the Chevy which is supposed to be the budget version, is more $ than the Pontiac, which I always thought was the more sport version, hence somewhat more $. The Saturn and Chevy are pretty close in price, and the Buick the most, but not by a lot.

Problem for me, has been finding one to drive. If they are hard to get, chances of me getting the van near invoice price might be difficult, but the local Pontiac dealer always states that any vehicle is $100 over invoice. We'll see.

While I did like this van, if you don't need or want the AWD version, I think given the relatively little money available in incentives ($1000 now) there are better choices for about the same money. They do look quite sharp in person though. At least the Uplander I drove did.

My biggest complaint though, is that they really should have done the seats better. The fold down seats in the back and middle, aren't as slick as Honda, Toyota or the Caravan. And getting to the back seats seems awkward for adults, fine for kids.

I have a $1500 loyalty reward I want to use before the month is over (6 days) but I think I might be better off waiting just a couple more months before making this decision. Thoughts?
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I live in Ontario and believe me you don't need AWD. FWD is just fine unless you live in a very rural area in which case I can see some use.