Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I don't think the Uplander has been tested yet.

They should be decent though.
  • The IIHS has never tested a Venture, just a Pontiac TransSport in the fall of 1996.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    But the TranSport is basically a rebadged Venture.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    Did you test a regular or long wheelbase Uplander?
    What sort of $$$ we're they looking for at this point?
  • Here's a link to the NHTSA crash result on the Uplander:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3062.html
  • I thought the same thing, but as I said before, the vibration in my van was much more noticeable than the other vans on the lot, so if you're not looking for it, it may go unnoticed. I would caution anyone from buying these vans for about a year until they get the bugs worked out. My brother is an engineer for Delphi Delco Electronics who make the engine computers for GM vehicles, and he says that GM's new model reliability is not very good.
    2005sv6 : ANY new model carries a risk of bug and GM is really no worse than anyone else. Even Honda and Toyota have had many 1st year bugs as of late. I have never bought a first year car mainly because the deals on 2-3+ year old models is always better. That said, it's less of a problem than it used to be.

tjhsmith : Crash tests look pretty good so far. looks like only some have been done so far.
  • Took the Terraza CXL in for 1st service after 1 month with the following complaints and got virtually the same response from the service department for each of these issues.
    1. Headlights / dash lights flicker - Response -IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY.
    2. Voltage varies between 12.1 & 15.2v while driving at highway speed - Response - IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY
    3. Instrument dial pointers do not light when manually turning on the lights - Response - IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY.
    When I asked if the power issues were the same as previously resolved on the Montana - Response - COMPLETELY NEW TECHNOLOGY.
    So, I guess if you design it that way you will never have to repair it, because it already does that
    Flicker sounds like a alternator issue. We had it on our Intrigue (mainly in real cold weather). When it was replaced the flicker was gone. I suspect it is the cause of your voltage issue also. I would go to another dealership if that's what they are telling you or call GM.

Our 2004 Montana has no such issues after 10 months of service.
  • They can take them to as many dealers as time allows, they will still get the same answer. It is operating as designed and GM is working on a fix for the issue.

And the 2004 Montanas (whole previous generation for that matter) does not have the same charging system design as the new 2005 generation. The 2005s use a regulated voltage control system that will vary alternator output based on operating conditions and battery conditions.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Tested an Uplander LT extended.

Only incentives were 1.4% for 60 months or 0.5% lease rate for 36/48 months. No cash at all, but the dealer was willing to take off about $2500 with out me asking. List price was in the low $30K (Canadian) range I believe. It had remote start, On Star and big alloy wheels. Looked great.

Still considering it though we are not 100% a van is for us right now.
    Prices are more reasonable so the discounts may be also. I remember our 2004 Montana RWB listed for around $33K and we got about $4800 cash plus 0.5% lease. It was crazy.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    I know there have been several posts about how hard it has been to find the vans in the equipment levels wanted. Our daughter's former school teacher is replacing her 1997 TransSport. She ordered a new SV6 on Wednesday February 23rd and it was built Monday February 28th and is expected at the dealer March 15th. Don't know what planets aligned to allow this, and I know most people looking are looking for the Terraza, but if you can't find the van today, check out ordering.
  • dannodanno Posts: 114
    Just to post a note on what percent is showing on my oil life minder - Uplander LT

4,654 kms (2,909 miles) - 53% remaining.

I operate in what I would call severe duty climate - frequent remote starts, sub-zero temps most of the winter, 50/50 highway city driving

What are other owners seeing?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    We're struggling with that "do we really need/want a van" thing too. Thought the new Mazda5 might work for us but it's a little too "tunerish" (is that a word?!) if you know what I mean. Those 17" wheels/50 series tires wouldn't have fared too well on the washboard logging road we drove last summer. If we do go the van route, it'll be the short wheelbase version...probably the SV6, though we'll check out the MPV again as well. Might even consider the short wheelbase version of the new Kia Sedona, though it probably won't arrive here until 2006. Really need a 4+2 or 5+2 seater but don't want to break the bank.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    It's not that we don't want a van, it's more that we have always had SUVs. The look of the Uplander appeals to me but my wife is not sold.

I'm working on her though. I like the standrd MP3 player, I can burn all those songs I have on my computer and listen to them!
  • My Terraza shows 40% Oil Life @ 5,600 kms (3,416 miles).
    Mostly highway. 40% towing a trailer
  • dannodanno Posts: 114
    Thanks wasdiesel.

Looks like this reinforces my thoughts that these vans will go about 9,000 kms or 5,600 miles between oil changes. GM has warrantied these to 100,000 kms at that oil change interval. Kind of blows the theory of 5,000 km oil changes out of the water. (assumes most modern engines have similar oil specs)

This huge oil conservation news.

The advertising has us changing oil twice as much as required.
  • heath2heath2 Posts: 6
    I just purchased the new uplander and noticed a few days later that the instrument lights flicker in unison with the headlights.The dealership stated that they have never heard of this before.I wonder, is the 120v a/c receptacle standard on these vehicles and could that be causing some kind of floating ground? My sister in-law owns the Saturn Relay and has the same problem.
  • My Terraza does not have the 100volt A/C outlet and was credited on the factory invoice.
    However, the flickering issue is there, but appears to be lessened after a recent service visit for that complaint amongst other minor points.