Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What should I do with my old, undrivable car so I may recapture some money?

subaru17subaru17 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Subaru
I have a pretty 2000 Subaru outback LTD with 156,000 miles on it. had to replace original motor with a used motor with 114,000 miles. during the process of removing the original motor and replacing it with the new/used motor, something is out of sync with the transmission where the car jerks and slams into gear. the car shop can't seem to fix it. they said I needed new axles to fix the problem. so I replaced the axles to the tune of $800 more dollars, and the problem is still there. now they don't want to even talk to me even tho there's a one year warranty on parts and labor! Does anyone know the reason why during the performance of this work, there may have been something that affected the shifting and what it could possibly be? If it can't be fixed, does anyone know what I should do with the car to best recoup some of my losses? At this stage, I have $5,000.00 into a repair of a car that can't be driven. If I call a salvage company, will they pay me for the car or will I have to pay them to pick it up? what about selling it on craigslist to someone who wants to tinker or sell it off as parts? any advice would be appreciated! thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,239
    subaru17 said:

I have a pretty 2000 Subaru outback LTD with 156,000 miles on it. had to replace original motor with a used motor with 114,000 miles. during the process of removing the original motor and replacing it with the new/used motor, something is out of sync with the transmission where the car jerks and slams into gear. the car shop can't seem to fix it. they said I needed new axles to fix the problem. so I replaced the axles to the tune of $800 more dollars, and the problem is still there. now they don't want to even talk to me even tho there's a one year warranty on parts and labor! Does anyone know the reason why during the performance of this work, there may have been something that affected the shifting and what it could possibly be? If it can't be fixed, does anyone know what I should do with the car to best recoup some of my losses? At this stage, I have $5,000.00 into a repair of a car that can't be driven. If I call a salvage company, will they pay me for the car or will I have to pay them to pick it up? what about selling it on craigslist to someone who wants to tinker or sell it off as parts? any advice would be appreciated! thanks

While I don't have any specific advise here, I've sent out a call to arms to some of our more knowledgeable posters to get them to weigh in with their opinions.

You should have some recourse if the warranty was in writing ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, I was thinking small claims court.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Definitely small claims court. Something has gone terribly wrong here and, at least from your side of the story, the repair shop has not made good on it. If you have warranties in writing, you have a case, at least for partial re-imbursement.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    We don't know the time period involved here, but 42,000 miles has elapsed from the motor install to now. I think you'll have a tough time substantiating your claim.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,062
    fibber2 said:

We don't know the time period involved here, but 42,000 miles has elapsed from the motor install to now. I think you'll have a tough time substantiating your claim.

I read that as the mileage on the replacement engine.. The rest of the post leads me to believe that he just had the work done.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I find it hard to believe they gave a 1-year warranty on a used engine with 114k on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S