Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    well, I was speaking "figuratively". I didn't actually weigh them.

But, they are the lightest rim/tire combo I have ever dealt with. I can't muscle things around like I could 20 years ago, but these are easy. You can look at the construction, there isn't any ounce of extra metal anywhere. Very clean OEM rims.

John
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That would be fine, you should always guess low in that case. ;)

-juice
    figuratively is definitely more appropriate ;)

John
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The FXT's alloys weigh 19 pounds and the tire is 19.6.
    Source = web sites that I cannot link here.

-Dennis
    That is pretty light. Like I said, my rims and tires weigh about 44 lbs. So you have about 5+ lbs less unsprung weight per corner. Nice.

-juice
  • ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    I'm sure this has been brought up before I started reading this and bought the auto FXT.

Just curious, anybody know reported 0-60 times for the auto tranny? I know the torque converter saps power, but how much? All the 5.3-6.0s numbers are off a manual, I was just wondering if the auto does it in under 7s?

Also, anyone notice the 2006 Forester has less interior cargo room (56) and better EPA for auto (20/26!!!!) But Cd is unchanged @ 0.37 and the gear ratios seem the same. Must be the engine valve lift improvements or something...thoughts?
    But you do feel a little more lag for the tranny to shift down and then build boost.

With the manual lag is non-existent.

Though now it gets more HP and some tranny/AWD revisions, so we'd have to wait and see.

Where'd you get the EPA mileage numbers? 20/26 sounds great. What about the manual?

-juice
  • jmphilajmphila Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at buying a 2005 Forester XT with manual shift. The car I found has the center armrest extension. Has anyone had any trouble with it getting in the way? The first car I test-drove did not have it, and the second one did. When I first go it I didn't like it, but quickly forgot about it. Thanks!
    Like I did in the WRX, I got used to it in the FXT. I need as much storage space as possible!

-Dennis
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I understand that in 06 there will no longer be a base model. All XT's will be premium w/sunroof and leather. Glad I bought in 04 when they were about $3,000 cheaper than they will be in 06.
    Yep, glad I bought my '04 as well.

-Dennis
    no premium package
  • jerkassjerkass Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks. I just bought a FXT tonight. It is nice, trying not to abuse it too much too early, but it is hard to keep the lead out of my foot. I paid 22250 for it in Denver Colorado... the sticker said 27031 and it is a silver beast. I think this is a good deal, anyone know? Anyone know any good stats I can tell folks when I am gushing about it? Like "0-60 in 5.3 seconds, .1 faster than a porsche cayenne"...mostly to abuse family and friends with over the holiday. Any tips? Thanks all, this forum helped convince me to go for the FXT over the FX...
  • jmphilajmphila Member Posts: 2
    I just got my '05 FXT. It has the center armrest extension and I hate it! I unscrewed it last night, but now I don't have a cover for the center storage bin. The cover for the extension is different, so I can't just take it off the extension and put it on the regular bin.

Any ideas where I can get an original cover? I tried the dealer and they said they couldn't get it. I guess I could try a junk yard.

Thanks!
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    If the one from the 04 fits the 05, I think I've got one in my basement from where I installed the center armrest. E-mail me at my profile's address if you're interested.

Larry
    Anyone know any good stats I can tell folks when I am gushing about it?

Congrats! A couple of different tuners (Vishnu and Cobb) dyno'ed a stock XT and found that they have about 235-240 h.p. and 260 lb ft of torque. :)

-Dennis
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Well I was a real knucklehead yesterday and cut a parking lot corner too sharp resulting in the right-front tire's sidewall getting sliced (ARGH!). That's the bad news; the good news is that at 29k miles, the OE Yokos were pretty much shot anyway. Since I've been toying with going to a plus one setup for some time, I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered a set of SSR wheels and Avon Tech M550 A/S tires from Tire Rack. Although I'd never heard of them until I started shopping, the 550s did well when tested and get high marks from reviewers. Meanwhile the SSRs are very light weigh so it'll be interesting to see how the combo performs. I'll be sure and post a pic when I get them mounted.

-Frank
    You waited to long to get rid of the Yokos! The Avon's are relatively new in N. America and have been in Europe for a while.

-Dennis
  • brittjbrittj Member Posts: 2
    Congrats, I just bought a used '04 with 25,000 miles on it XT auto w/premium package loaded (at least as far as I know) for $19,900.00. I thought I got a decent deal but looks like you got a good deal. I shopped and read everything for over month and you got the deal as far as I know. I am in Atlanta GA. At least mine is already broke in and i can get on it. :)
  • fiedler1fiedler1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Sir,
    Would you happen to know how to replace the front wiper blades on a 99 Forester. The directions are bad . Its the part that holds the rubber blade itself that I cant get off the car.
    Thanks much,
    Chip :)
  • fiedler1fiedler1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having trouble with this on a 99 Forester. The directions are as usuall like hieroglyphics. Can anyone direct me to an answer?

Thanks,
    CHip :D
    I don't have pictures, but it's a U-hook design IIRC. The entire blade will slide out towards the glass (windshield base), but there is a clip you have to push in to release it first.

Tell you what, if you take a photo up close, I can try to point out what I mean.

Frank: now I'm even more envious. We need pics when you get 'em on, OK?

-juice
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    I got to 29K a bit faster than Frank (11 mos), and my steep , multi-hairpin mile long driveway has eaten the outer edges off my Geolanders. While I am not quite as high up the mountain as cmuniz, we have similar driving conditions, i.e. steep curvy roads with more ice and slush than snow in the winter, except that I travel a LOT for my job and log a lot of interstate miles once I get down off the mountain, erego 29K in 11 months.(BTW, thats 29,000 problem-free miles..unless you consider the rear cargo mat being edible by a bored Lab to be a problem :) !)

I have accepted the fact that I will never SAFELY get more than 25-30K miles on a set of tires under these conditions, so I need reliable cornering and wet traction more than longevity. My search of prior posts has identified a number of suggestions, and I have cross-referenced those to owner reviews at Tire Rack, looking, esp., for Subaru or other small-to-midsize AWD owners in areas with similar driving conditions. The leading contenders appear to be Falken ZE 512's or B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A's , and I was not morosely unhappy with the Geolanders. Any comments or other suggestions?

Mark
    If you're talking OEM size, the Falken is probably a more performance oriented tire than the BFG (High Performance A/S category vs. UHP A/S category). The BFG probably has a slightly better treadwear rating and the Falken will probably give you a little better grip in the dry.

The BFG might be a little better in the winter stuff. The other option in OEM size is the Dunlop SP5000. Another tire that gets great all weather reviews. Then there's the ContiExtremeContact which also gets good winter write-ups. JMO and I don't have any personal experience with these tires. :)

-Dennis
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Stay AWAY from Dunlop SP5000 - these tires are nothing but a headache - very prone to punctures, constantly flat-spotting, and nearly impossible to keep balanced. The minute gain in performance is NOT worth it. This is all from personal experience.
    sam, not to disagree with your experience, but I am interested in how a tire gets flat spotting and out of balance in normal driving.

We have OEM Dunlop 4000's on our MPV and aside from rapid wear (we will likely only get 40k) they seem to be decent and quiet tires.

John
    Mark- Whoa! 30k a year... I feel much better now :)

Several people have purchased the Falkens and been happy with their performance and they're certainly priced right.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement regarding the max mileage you can expect. FWIW, the OE Yokos on my 01 Forester lasted to 50k while the new model Yokos (G900) only made it to 30k (exact same driving conditions/patterns).

-Frank
    Frank,
    Given your awesome MPG with the XT, I guess we can't blame the reduced tire life on "turbo-boost seeking behavior"!
    As Spike Lee says, " It's the shoes! It's gotta be the shoes!"

Mark
    Mark- Yeah I even considered the turbo influence on my driving but I use the added boost to accelerate faster, not to auto-cross my FXT :D

-Frank
    My Lexus has the SP5000's on it - if the car sits without being driven for more than 3 days, the tires develop flat spots, especially in cold weather. It takes a good 20-30 miles each time to smooth out the tires again. Plus, I lost two tires due to punctures already. The third puncture was small enough and I just plugged it up. The tires only have 15,000 miles on them, and I've been having nothing but problems. On the positive side, at 15,000 miles, they show relatively little wear, and have decent handling.
  • youngatheart1youngatheart1 Member Posts: 5
    Have 2004 Subarua Forester XT and need to replace OEM tires (P215/60R 16 94H Geolander G900). Priorities: low road noise; ok for the 10% of driving I do on dirt/rough forest roads. I live in southern Oregon and we get a fair amount of rain. Probably 70% of my driving is on interstate. While I enjoy the XT's power and enjoy letting it run on back country roads, tire handling for that situation is not a priority. Thanks for making suggestions of what has worked for you and what has not worked. Edward
  • ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    Did you get a manual? If so, that 0-60 stat is legit. $22250 is great for a manual and a steal for an automatic.
    Looks like you got better wear out of the oems than I did. I replaced mine after about 16,000 because they were really wearing on the outside. I was also satisfied with the Geolanders and didn't have any problems with winter driving, but they wore out fast. I replaced them with BFG Traction T/As H rated and I really like them. The one problem I noticed is that in cold weather they take a few miles to warm up and produce a "bumpy" ride until they warm up. I have been told that new rubber being used in tires these days has this characteristic. I can't remember the treadwear rating, but it is substantially better than the oems. The other tire I considered was the Michelin Hydroedge. It was more expensive, but I'm sure it is an even better tire in all respects. It might be the best tire for you since you drive so much. I have had excellent experiences with all Michelins that I have bought in the past. Since I only keep my cars an average of 3-4 yrsd I didn't invest in the Michelins this time around. Good luck and isn't the XT a great car for the mountains!!
    Few purchases have given me as much satisfaction as the FXT! It would have been hard to imagine a single vehicle that you could have complete confidence in as you pull out and blow past a line of tractor trailers lumbering up the Blue Ridge escarpment on NC 226 from Marion to Spruce Pine, where you have approx 300 yards of a second lane to complete your pass, and have the same complete confidence to come down that steep,snaking road with 3 inches of snow-slush-ice a/k/a "wintry mix" on the pavement ,kids sleeping in the back after a day of snowboarding and skiing in Banner Elk, and all their gear stowed easily in the back!

Mark
    My Lexus has the SP5000's on it - if the car sits without being driven for more than 3 days, the tires develop flat spots, especially in cold weather. It takes a good 20-30 miles each time to smooth out the tires again.

Most of the guys that run them say that you have to add higher than normal air pressure. From what I've read in nabisco's tire forum, and from talking to local Subaru buddies (lark6 on here included), the SP5000 is in the top 3-5 for UHP all-seasons for the WRX.

-Dennis
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please check your email and the Rules of the Road link above and please stop trying to buy and sell on the forums.

Steve, Host
    I actually run about 6 psi higher than spec. It helps somewhat, but doesn't eliminate the flat spotting problem completely. The next set of tires I get for both cars will be Yokohamas. Probably AVS / DB series.
  • brittjbrittj Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone mounted a XM radio in thier FXT. I am going to put my Delphi Skyfi unit in but I would like some ideas of the best place to put it or what mounting systems used. Any ideas will be welcomed.
    Britt
    I agree with your comments about Hwy 226 to Spruce Pine. BY the way, I'll be working at the Sugar Mtn Ski School again this winter so look for me and my red XT if you get up that way agian. Carlos
    A vote for the Falken Ziex 512s....have them on my Miata and they are a very good all around tire at a budget price.

-juice
    '06 XT auto goes from 20/23 up to 21/26!! Plus adding all the hp--that is something.

MT not as great from 19/24 up to 19/25.

Note, standard X MT drops back from 30 down to 29.

For my money, the 2005 X is the best deal.

John
    Plus adding all the hp--that is something.

The mpg increase is impressive but I doubt they truely added any hp. IMO SOA just finally got around to reporting the real numbers ;)

-Frank
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Another option in the stock size is the Bstone G009's in an all-season tire. I drove on the G900's as long as I could on my XT but at 27k, they had to go with 3 - 4 mm tread depth left...took advantage of the Bstone rebate. With 3k on the G009's, they're quite good with the only negative being that they take about a mile to smooth out - then no problem. Dry & wet performance are excellent with good turn-in response...but most any performance tire would give a noticeable improvement over the OEM shoes.
    Are those official numbers? Where'd you find them?

Link?

-juice
    juice, http://www.media.subaru.com/

thanks to ezshift. Go to product info.

John
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I posted this on another thread, but looking at the Subaru media website, I noticed that the Forester cargo room goes down about 10% from '05 to '06. This is based upon an apples to apples comparison (w/o sunroof and with sunroof).

Does anyone know why? It does not make sense. Were the '05 figures optimistic?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Figures can be misleading. Not every square inch is usable as cargo area. To me if space is really an issue, I'd buy some much, much bigger like an Explorer.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I agree, it just seems curious to me and I would like to understand why.

Btw, I remember sparring with you a while back on another thread comparing the XT to some entry performance / lux SUVs. ;-)

Welcome to Subaru ownership. Hope you enjoy your XT as much as I do.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Thanks. I enjoy driving the XT. It's fast and practical. I believe we did trade opinions in the now closed X3 vs XT vs FX thread. While the X3 clearly tows the line on some items, the XT tows the line on others.

I thought about waiting for the 2006s but with the 2K rebate it was a no brainer.

My next vehicle was going to have AWD, which let out a number of other vehicles. In addition, my priority focused on the driveability rather than the toys in the vehicle. My 330 clearly left it's imprint in my mind.

Now did I say the XT is fast and practical. :shades:
  • apackerfanapackerfan Member Posts: 14
    Hi to all. Just came home with my new 05 XT Premium and I love it! So much for high gas prices, I am going driving. I have owned Land Rover's the last 10 years so I am used to AWD but this is the first car for me with some get up and go, and wow does it go. No more Rovers for me. Any advice for a Subaru newbie?

:)
This discussion has been closed.