Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    I'm not crazy about 1st gear, but the 444 axle ratio doesn't bother me at all. I know mileage is a sacrifice, but I saw the MPG sticker on the window when I bought it. The axle is fine, the transmission gearing could be improved. My Sentra revs at 3500 RPMs at 70 mph so this seems much less buzzy to me. The handling is not great and can feel a little tippy if you go around corners to fast, but I bought it for straight line performance ( after all, how many people push a car to its handling limits?). Interior is ok, but keep in mind, this is a $24,000 car ( which won't buy much these days). Yeah, the climate control is odd and oil seems to give a different reading every time I look, but I don't regret buying it. It won't handle like the WRX, but the lag in the WRX was so awful I got out of it and said "this car does 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds?" It sure didn't feel like it. The XT does though. Perhaps it's a bad comparison, but it reminds me a lot of the Buick Gran National.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    This is off topic, but I had the same experience driving my friend's Jeep GC. Sucker was wandering all over the road needing constant correction, especially because of a strong head wind. I saw a discussion of this once in a magazine. Jeep says they do this on purpose so the wheel won't jerk out of your hand if you hit an obstacle off roading. So the vehicle drives like doo doo 99% of the time for the sake of the 1% of people who actually take it rock climbing.

We are much better driving Subaru "soft roaders" that can handle as much off roading (forest service trails, etc.) as most people need without compromising the vehicle in daily driving. Did I sufficiently get back on topic?
  • darbowdarbow Posts: 30
    Just wanted to add my 3 cents after i have test driven the XT 5sp 3 times and only test drove the VUE v6 Auto just once, i like the payment of the VUE better ($50 less a month) and the SUNROOF (Subaru are you reading this) and the 17 inch wheels. I just dont like the floaty feel of the suspension (feels like a Buick) and vague steering feel. But the power of the V6 up around highway speeds was quick (downshifting at 75 shot up to 95 in heartbeat). Anyone else check out the new Hondaurn Vue??? watta think?
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    ...been reading the last couple of dozen posts, and thought I'd jump in with my .02.

The way I see it is that the Forester is a "car-on-stilts". Other vehicles that I would categorize in the same way:

--> Mitsubishi Outlander
    --> Subaru Outback
    --> Audi allroad

Te wife and I will cross-shop it against the small "cute-utes" that are available (CRV, VUE, Escape/Tribute, RAV4). Each person has their own list of what's important and what's irrelevant about the vehicle they are looking for. No sense arguing about them here -- we'll never convince someone else that our list of pros and cons are the only ones that matter.

These are forums that promote the exchange of ideas using a friendly, non-threatening medium. Disagreements are part and parcel of this kind of discussion -- without them, all we would hear is the sound of us patting each other on the back regarding the wonderful choice in vehicle we made!

The comments (both pro and con) are very helpful to someone like me. When the time comes for the test drive, I'll keep in mind the things that I've read on this board, and mention them to the wife as well. Each car we buy is a study in compromise -- we can't get (read: afford) everything we want in a car, so we have to make decisions and settle in certain areas. For example:

low ground clearance - tough to get through big snow drifts, poorer visibility (seeing over traffic)
    high ground clearance - probably more weight, less mpg, less maneuverable

Each buyer will have to evaluate what is important to them (and spouse, and family) and decide accordingly.

Happy Holidays to all!
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    These are forums that promote the exchange of ideas using a friendly, non-threatening medium.

Or should be.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Or should be.

It will be! :-)

tidester, host
  • ugly1ugly1 Posts: 52
    I check this forum on almost a daily basis but did a month just go by? Most of you must have the whole week off. Have a good one.
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    I think "greatness" is a pretty high standard at this price point.

A car's price point (or value equation) plays prominently in my definition of 'greatness'. A Rolls is undoubtedly a very satisfying car for some people, but grotesquely overpriced IMO. Considering the value equation as I apply it, a Rolls is nowhere near true greatness, because I don't think there's much of a trick to building a superb vehicle when cost is no object. The challenge is to build a great car on a budget. Ergo, an XT is closer than a Rolls to greatness on my scale.

However, the XT's price point has almost nothing to do with several of what I regard to be its most pronounced shortcomings. For example, it would have cost Subaru literally nothing, in terms of dollars, to specify 3.9 final drives instead of 4.44. By choosing the latter, they emphasized (I would say over-emphasized) one set of attributes to the detriment of others. Some buyers are thrilled with the result; I'm less so. Another example: They're already shipping XTs with 5MT/sunroof/leather to Canada. It would have cost essentially nothing to simply make the exact same combinations available here, just as there. The bi-level heat-low,cool-high heater mode I need is not at all uncommon on cars much lower priced than the XT. White-on-black instruments that quite a few people have said are difficult to read on sunny days don't cost an iota less than black-on-white dials.

It is these kinds of omissions and design decisions that neither added nor subtracted from the cost to build the cars that cause the XT to miss my standard of true greatness. Correcting them would have had zero effect on the price point at which the car sells.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Whiteface guages are bling.

Gear ratio? I think it's great cause you shouldn't be doing like 150mph in a Forester on the public roads, and everyone reads the stupid magazines that say "0-60 times are XYZ" so Subaru did the right thing in that they played to the marketing crowd, they've been not doing that for too long.

-mike
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    My Sticker was $29K. Darbow, I think you should go with the Vue, after all the payments are cheaper!
  • Holy egg nog!! I made an entry four hours ago; three pages later, here I am with more chat than I could ever imagine--amazing and especially serendipitous since I am making my decision about the XT manual tomorrow. The dealer is offering me 24K on the dot. I'm thinking really hard.

CHEERS!
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    Get back to work, people!! :-)
  • For whoever asked about the XT vs Accord, I have a 6th gen Accord EX V6 and am in the market for an F-XT. Test drive of F-XT revealed:

- it is noisier than the Accord on the highway, probably tire noise, but also some wind noise thrown in. Accord transmits lots of tire noise (you know when you're on asphalt vs concrete)--a switch to different tires helped quite a bit.

- F-XT engine was very quiet and smooth at idle--same as Accord, but you could hear its pleasant growl when accelerating.

- ride quality was similar, no rattles except once when going over speedbump at about 6 mph at the dealership

- even the highly regarded Accord has its share of rattles: sunroof (needs to be lubed around the rubber seal every 1.5 yrs), center storage bin missing a clip and buzzes, drivers door buzzes against the dash

Also, discussion about gearing is interesting. I figure Subaru had to compromise to have low gearing for towing and for offroading (lacking low range). It happens to make it wickedly quick, but I can't imagine that they went for a 0-60 number when they decided on gearing. It's just not in their character to really care (IMHO).

Thanks for everyone sharing their thoughts. It has been useful to me. Good and bad.

Merry Xmas!
    to Miamixt, every dealer ive been too offers around 2k off the list price of $25,800ish (i want the basic hot rod, not the Lincoln versions). I also can get 3.9% financing and have a internet coupon for $500 off if i buy before 1-5-04 (got it in a email a week ago, not sure where it came from). I guess your XT was loaded and no one would deal?

Oh, to Forestir, i would love to drive the 4dr, all wheel drive, V6 or Turbo 4, 5 speed Accord if they MADE one. Thanks for the semi-comparison though (ive owned 4 Honda's before)
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Honda not offering the V-6 Accord with a MT has always been a pet peeve of mine.

-Frank P.
    Umm, the Accord Coupe V6 only has the manual, all the 4 doors come w/autogirlymatics. FYI.
  • danielldaniell Posts: 128
    "This is a prime example of how one person's steak is another's gristle."

Completely agree with you on this one.

Some people complained about rear legroom. I am 5'7", wife is 5'3". To us, rear legroom is adequate, to most might be tight at best. That's why a prospective buyer needs to hear all the opinions and decide what's important for him/her.

I do a fair amount of highway driving. So I wish the Forester had a longer wheelbase, a la BMW 3 series - a small car with a longish wheelbase (107" or so, I believe). IMO the short wheelbase makes the Forester a poor cross country vehicle (that is, unless "country" is the size of Andorra or Luxembourg). But for people who don't do much highway driving, this is probably a non-issue...
    Now that the Accord thing is over, lets talk about the 3.5 V6 5speed Altima starting at around 23k with the same engine as the 350Z and 0-60 under 6 seconds. Granted you dont get the AWD turbo but its something to compare. Even comes with a SUNROOF !!!! under 25K.

Anyone drive the Altima, how does it compare please?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Mad Torque Steer!

What's the big beef with the ATs... I've spanked plenty of cars with the Franken L with a 4EAT :)

-mike
This discussion has been closed.