Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I thought the question was best tires for an XT? Without a doubt the best tires will be Maximum Performance Summer tires. :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Best all-around? Best summer? Best winter? Best rain? Best for track use? Best for autocross? :confuse:

Like so many things, best is subjective. :)

Larry
  • Options
    saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    I am interested in the best all around tires. (All season). I live in Rhode Island, and the weather can get very snowy, etc. during the winter months. I do not intend to use snow tires. That's why I am interested in the best all season tires. I know the people that use this forum are VERY knowledgeable and that's the reason I am asking the question, because if you people don't know, who does?
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Either the information in this article about the upcoming 6 cylinder MY06 Rav4 is a major typo, or with 300hp Toyota is aiming to leave the FXT choking on their exhaust fumes:

http://automobilemag.com/2006_new_cars/0509_2007_toyota_rav4/

Then again, if it "grows significantly" as they mention, comparing it to the Tribeca might be more appropriate - which would also put it in the same market as Toyota's own Highlander. Something doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's getting bigger:

steve_, "Toyota RAV4" #1921, 30 Aug 2005 1:00 pm

Usual disclaimers, lol.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Holy Horsepower, Batman!

There's no way, I find that hard to believe. The Avalon costs a fortune and makes 280hp from a 3.8l that probably would not even fit under the hood.

I can see it getting the 3.0l or maybe the 3.3l engine, but those make 190-225hp or so. Maybe they will offer a TRD supercharger option?

I just can't see it going from 160hp to 300hp without anything inbetween, it makes no sense.

I'd sure as heck like to try one if it does!

-juice
  • Options
    If you're looking for the best handling and decent snow performance an Ultra High Performance All Season, like the ContiExtremeContact, will be good. I think it's one of the top sellers for the Forester on Tire Rack.

Or if you want the only all-season tire that gets the Severe Service snow emblem, check out the Nokkia WR. Better in the snow at the expense of better handling in the dry.

-Dennis
  • Options
    apackerfanapackerfan Member Posts: 14
    I have reviewed the previous posts about window tinting, but can't find anything that answers my question: Does window tinting affect am radio reception since the antenna is on that rear window which will be professionally tinted with a hybrid metallic film? Sounds like everyone here encourages the window tinting so my guess is that there has been no adverse affect, but just wanted to check with you.

thanks
    Stacie
    05 XT
  • Options
    Just when i sent the message above I found a whole other board about window tinting, very cool and informative and though it wasn't specific to the Forester it is probably relevant. Looks like i need to find a good non-metallic film or use a dyed film on the one window otherwise risk no am radio.

If anyone has any experience they would like to share regarding this and their FXT I would love to hear it.

thanks and sorry have sent the first one before doing ALL my research. :blush:

Stacie
    05 XT
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    My 03 Forester recently got 3M tint. The issue of antenna reception never came up, reception has not been affected.
  • Options
    No problems here either. I have Madico metallic tint and listen to three NY area a.m. news stations regularly. Sometimes I even tune in 1500 a.m. in D.C. at night :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Before I got my windows tinted I checked around to see if a metallic tint would interfere with the radio reception. I never found any credible evidence one way or the other so I went ahead with the metallic tint and I can still pick-up my local AM station from 100 miles away.

-Frank
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. Got the windows tinted Sunday and no affect on antenna and it looks really great. Now I just got to remember to not roll down the windows for a couple days, feel like putting a post-it with a big No on the controls. This worked for Apollo 13 you may recall. Thanks all

Stacie
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    That's what I did when I had the windows of my Forester tinted. I cut out a piece of cardboard and taped it in place over the widow switch panel on the driver's door to prevent me from accidentally opening a window for a few days.

Len
  • Options
    jindijindi Member Posts: 11
    Am I doing something wrong here? I have a sunroof on my fxt and when we are on the hwy with all the windows closed & SR open we experience that annoying buffeting. The only way to alleviate the situation is by cracking the windows. I am surprised b/c my previous car never had this problem.

Does the Subaru aftermarket SR deflector help?

Thanks
  • Options
    They help a little, I have one for my aftermarket moonroof.

But at certain speeds, I still get buffeting. Yours is enormous so I can imagine it's worse.

I crack the rear windows just a tad, that fixes it at all speeds.

-juice
  • Options
    No you're not doing anything wrong. While there are certainly a number of models where it's not a problem, buffeting is fairly common (especially at faster speeds). I know Grand Cherokees have a much worse case of it. As you've already discovered, cracking one of the rear windows will stop it. I'm not sure how effective the Subaru wind deflector is on the factory sunroof (mine is aftermarket). Anybody got one who can comment?

-Frank
  • Options
    Worst case I ever saw was on a GM dust-buster minivan.

You would get buffeting if you opened a FRONT window, not moonroof, just window. It was intolerable. You basically could not open the windows at certain speeds, period.

-juice
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Who has the most miles on their 5 speed XT?
  • Options
    satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    Dennis --I think you're right, but only if the XT has been modified with significantly lowered suspension and stiffer sway bars. Otherwise a vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity (compared with most sporty sedans, coupes, etc.) like the XT stands a much greater risk of flipping over when subject to the kind of lateral acceleration sustainable with high performance summer tires (whereas with the OE tires, the XT would be sliding out well before such levels were reached). In sum: don't install super sticky tires on vehicles that are relatively tippy.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I might qualify for the *least* miles on a 5 speed XT. I'm 9,800-ish on my '04 that was purchased in May '04. I'm averaging about 7,250 miles per year.

In comparison, DW's '02 MPV bought in July '02 has almost 29,000 on it, or about 9,250 miles per year.

-Brian
  • Options
    Good point. Sometimes I forget that people are driving around with the OEM rear toothpick, I mean swaybar. ;)

-Dennis
  • Options
    I got about 34k (trouble-free) miles on mine but while that's hi, I'm pretty sure others have more.

-Frank
  • Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    So I took an '05 manual tranny-equipped XT out for a spin this weekend. I must say that I was pretty impressed with the little car. The interior seating (cloth) and dash were clean without looking chintzy. However, I still think Honda does a better job with nicer plastics and an overall better layout. The engine was surprisingly quiet as I was expecting more noise and vibration. I liked the heavy feel of the clutch and the quick shifter (even the stock shifter has a shorter throw than that in my '98 M3). Acceleration was also more than adequate and I wasn't even pushing it. You can tell that this car means business if it wants to. Handling was perhaps a bit better than what I was expecting, although my expectations were set pretty low, but nothing like the M3. I imagine that you can probably tweak the car, lower it, upgrade the suspension, and put on some wider, stickier tires to improve the handling, but then that defeats the purpose of why I'm looking at this vehicle to begin with: as a family hauler than can get us over the Sierra Nevada's mountain passes in the winter and up to our house in Truckee without having to chain up, and also to take us into Tahoe's wonderful backcountry region in the summer via some light off-roading trails.

About the only gripes I had during the test drive were that the wind noise seemed pretty loud on the freeway at speeds of 80-85 mph, and the seats didn't seem all that supportive. Wondering how comfy they would be on extended trips...

So now, I just need to ask myself the hard question: do I want to give up my beloved E36 M3 convertible for something that is probably just as fast and a whole lot more practical? The other thing still on my mind is that I feel I should probably look at an Outback XT as well given the added space for a family of 4, but I'm hesitating because I really wanted to keep this purchase on the low end of the $20-$25K range.

FWIW, we still plan on keeping our Honda Odyssey for a few more years, so I don't NEED the largest car out there.

Which brings up one more question: we tend to keep our cars for a long time. My M3 is a '98 and the Odyssey is a '99. I've never owned a turbocharged car before and do have some concerns about longevity over the long haul. Any comments? Thanks.
  • Options
    Posted this earlier, and it disappered......

I'm getting my driver's side seat track replaced tomorrow. Checked on another website and saw another person with an 04 XT was also getting the same track replaced - its the outboard one. In both cases the leg is rusting where it meets the carpet.

This is the 4th one I know of. Takes just a second to inspect, and covered under the warranty Curious to see how long it takes them to replace. I'll find out since I'm waiting for the car.

Just a heads up for the rest of the group.

Larry
  • Options
    Tough call.

Do you feel like you've miled the M3 for most of what it's worth? i.e. are the best days behind you, or ahead?

You can get good resale on those, and probably not have to pay a large difference to have a new vehicle.

Also - do you need 2 practical vehicles? Are there times where the Ody is shuffling the kids around and you still need to make a run to Home Depot to pick up mulch?

If you encounter those situations, then you could benefit from a more practical car, so go for it.

If not, I'd hang on to the drop-top for as long as you can.

-juice (owner of a Forester and a Miata)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The only thing I would differ on, is that I find the seats to be very nice, very comfy. I have no issues on long trips. But of course our physical makeups and "tush-push" as different. The E36 M3, it's probably the most raved about M3, tough call.
  • Options
    I think the FXT would be a good choice to fit your needs. But that's only if you don't think of it as a replacement for your M3 (which it obviously can't). It will give you the bad weather capability you seek while still retaining a modicum of sportiness and fun-to-drive desireability. Also, since you have the Oddy, the extra space the OB XT offers isn't as important so I would stick with the FXT for the sportier handling. Speaking of which, better tires will help alot in that dept for not much added cost.

Re turbo reliability, only time will tell for certain but the reliability problems that were an issue in the 80s have hopefully been resolved. Turbos are certainly more prevalent now across many more makes and models.

-Frank
  • Options
    Curious to see if anyone's heard of this.....

Just noticed that I'm getting a "noise" during the 2-3 upshift under moderate acceleration. Only happens when the transmission is hot.

Transmission still shifts smooth on the way up, its never really been very smooth during downshifts since the day I got it. Currently 27K on the car.

The noise is a tough one to describe - not a clunk, wham, or extremely loud for that matter. But it is repeatable, and is more like a rattle in the transmission (valve?) body. Definitely not engine noise. I know the XT uses more solenoids than the regular 4EAT and I'm wondering if that's what I'm hearing. :confuse:

Had the dealer check the fluid and they said it was fine.

Let's see, got 28 k on the 03 Outback's auto, maybe they're only designed to go that far..... So far between these two cars I've had more transmission issues than any other cars in 30+ years. :cry:

I'm going to make another appointment at the dealer to get it documented, but its going to be a waste of time. BTW- if they find anything I'll be happy to eat my words on this forum.

Larry
  • Options
    moonbuggymoonbuggy Member Posts: 1
    I can't help you on the issue of longevity of the turbo, but I can give you some thoughts on the seats issue. I just bought a 2005 Turbo in August, and I have had good luck with the seat (driver seat with electric adjustments). I have a protruding disc at T-8, which has made seating an important consideration for me. You said that you have a BMW? I assume it has electric adjustable seats. My wife has a '99 323i with electric seats, and my Subaru is much more comfortable on trips or in daily commute traffic than her car. I don't know if your M series has better seats than hers, but if they are comparable, I can attest that my Subaru is more comfortable. If you are tall, you will enjoy driving the Subaru better as well. There is more "all around" driver side room in the Subaru. I'm 6'2", and I always have felt "scrunched up" driving her car. The lumbar adjustment in the Subaru is handy as well, which her car doesn't have. My only complaint with the Subaru is that the stick shift seems a far away from my right hand when I recline the seat for optimum comfort. If you are shorter than me, perhaps this won't be a problem, but I sometimes wish that it were a little easier to grab the stick. I feel like I have to lift my shoulder off the seat to shift gears. But I digress. I hope this has been helpful. On a side note, I have had more fun driving this Subaru than any other car I've ever had, and I get a grin on my face every time I drive it. Good luck in your decision.
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    I'd go fer the XT. Or even an XS.

I traded in a '95 525i last year on a '05 XS with 5-speed. The old Beemer was at the point where I knew I'd be up against major maint (tires, shocks, 120K service), plus the electrics were starting to act up. 'twas time to start what the folks at work call "cost avoidance". I still have a '97 328i BMW convertible, driven summers, putting on 5k miles a year.

For the Subie, maintenance costs are a lot less. I just got the 15K service done at zero out-of-pocket cost using Subaru bucks (3% rebate program on Chase credit card). Plus I am getting 30+mpg on regular gas over the last 7k miles (since May 1). It's nice to be able to drive 400+ miles between fill-ups.

From a comfort viewpoint, the XS wins hands down. Seats are not an issue. I've had a couple of 200-mile drives since April. The stick shift is easy to use once I adjusted / disabled the Hill-holder feature. Noise is a subjective issue. It is not the quietest car I've ever driven, but it is quieter than the 'vertie. Entry in/out the front seats is excellent - 'bout the best I've ever experienced.

Luv that huge moonroof ! Slide the shade back, the inside is flooded with sunlight or moonlight. When the sun beats down, you just reach over your head and shut the shade. But you know that already, from comparing the XT vs M3.

Comparing the driving experience between the two, overall, the XS (and I'm sure the XT also applies here) is more fun to drive than the 'vertie. I never thought I'd come to this judgement when I first bought the XS 10 months ago. It's great on snowy / muddy / dirt roads. Drive the Beemer in snow, you're always conscious that you have RWD and that you don't wanna do anything stupid to lose control.. With the Subie, you don't even think about maintaining traction in the slushy stuff. It just happens!

XS vs XT? XT is a rocket but it also requires an expensive high-octane diet, which is why I went with the XS. XT will give you the performance to zip up the hills.

So when are you getting yer XT ? :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments gents. Planning to take the missus along this weekend for a look. We'll also be checking out an '05 Outback XT with manual tranny since with the current pricing and incentives, it's not that much more to get into the larger vehicle (between $2-3K, depending on which dealer we buy from). I'm inclined towards the FXT on the basis of lowest absolute cost since I want to spend as little out-of-pocket as possible after the sale of the M3. I also expect that it's more fun to drive than the Outback. However, the missus may like the larger, more comfortable, refined feel of the OXT. Even though it won't be HER car, it may be THE family hauler in a couple of years when we get rid of the Odyssey.

BTW, we are looking at the "Un-Limited" models, so no leather and no moonroof.

Good to hear that the seats are comfy. Remember that I only took a 15-20 minute test drive, so real world feedback from owners is a lot more informative. I am fairly tall and slim at 6'1", 165 and did appreciate the headroom in the FXT, but at the same time, I really don't mind the headroom (or lack of it) in my bimmer. As long as my head doesn't hit the ceiling , which it doesn't, then I'm OK. I do prefer a rather upright seating position (learned from a performance driving school) so I didn't notice the gearshift being too far away on the test drive.

Finally, as far as the "fun to drive" factor is concerned, I'm sure that while the FXT provides loads of enjoyment, I think you'll turn blue in the face before you can convince me that it would better than the M3 on a twisty stretch of dry pavement. ;) I know what I'm buying it for, and I expect it to serve those needs well.
  • Options
    I think you'll turn blue in the face before you can convince me that it would better than the M3 on a twisty stretch of dry pavement. ;)

Huh? I'm quite sure no one here has tried to convince you that the Forester handles better. In fact I tried to make it crystal clear that if you get stuck on comparing the Forester's handling to the M3 then you won't be happy driving it. Yes the Forester has excellent handling for its class (small SUV/wagon) but it's not a sports coupe!

-Frank
  • Options
    Dry, definitely not. Go with the M3.

Wet? Snowy? Bumpy? Gravel? Dirt? Sand? XT baby!

-juice
  • Options
    Huh? I'm quite sure no one here has tried to convince you that the Forester handles better.

Here's what I was commenting on...

Comparing the driving experience between the two, overall, the XS (and I'm sure the XT also applies here) is more fun to drive than the 'vertie.

growler went on to say that his Forester is great for mud, snow, and dirt roads, which I'm sure is true. However, while he's entitled to his opinion, I wouldn't agree with the "overall more fun to drive" statement (as compared to his bimmer convertible). The M3 doesn't see mud, snow, or dirt roads as it was never intended to go there. On pavement, which is probably 95% of what I do, there's no question in my mind about which would be "overall more fun to drive."
  • Options
    stevev1stevev1 Member Posts: 14
    Day 9, and I must say I'm thrilled with my flying brick, or pignose,I haven't decided on a nick for it yet. Once I'm sure its' good to go over 4000 rpm flying brick will probably stick. Already I'm scoping Cobb tuning for springs and struts, and looking for tires to replace those non-performing G 900's, which feel kind of floaty and seem to squirm in pushed cornering.
    Can anyone comment on what upgrades give the biggest bang for the buck without voiding the warranty ?
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    would be the best bang for the buck! I'm thrilled with mine :)

Michael
  • Options
    A while back I posted a question re: the location of the PCV valve. Well today I had the intercooler off and found the pcv valve. It's basically under the compressor outlet going to the intercooler.
    However, it's mounted into a plastic threaded T fitting that's connected on each end with what appears to be one-time use clamps. The pcv valve has the standard pinch connector on it.

The bad news is that I couldn't get the pcv valve out. I was afraid that if I applied any more force than I did, I'd bust the plastic fitting.

So I guess its going to be a dealer visit, at least for the first one. :cry:
  • Options
    Well, it looks like we may be moving up to the Outback XT after all. Took the missus this weekend along for a test drive. One of the local dealers had one '05 left with manual tranny in the non-Limited trim. I was actually pleasantly surprised with it. The finish on the interior is a step up from the Forester, and the longer wheelbase does offer a smoother ride. The car is also quieter than the FXT I drove last week. On the downside, the heavier weight made it feel less nimble than the FXT. However, it still had plenty of zip and I felt confident that this thing wouldn't be straining if we were to load it up with 4 and gear and head to the mountains. On the roominess side, although the car looks larger (and I believe it's almost a foot longer), about the only area where I noticed a significant difference between it and the FXT was in rear seat legroom. The Forester, with its flat roof, actually had more headroom. Cargo space looks larger, but not by much (1-2 cubic ft per the specs as I recall), and given the sloping rear window, I don't think we're gaining a whole lot.

So, if I were just out buying the thing for myself and had no other things to consider, I would choose the FXT. I think it offers more in the fun-to-drive factory, yet is still very utilitarian. However, given that we are planning to keep the Odyssey only for about 2 more years, this car could very well be THE family car for us after that. My wife has wanted a Mini Cooper since they came out, so I figure if she does get one in a coupla years, the OXT will be the better choice.

Guess I need to post my findings over on the Outback forum now!
  • Options
    girlwhogolfsgirlwhogolfs Member Posts: 18
    With the high price of gas, has anybody started using reg unleaded in their XT yet? Premium is going for 2.89 in my part of VA to compare with where you live. I emailed Subaru and all I got was the standard answer, It it best to use premium gas but in an emergency regular can be used. DUH I read my owner's manual people! I just don't want to knock something out of whack by using regular. So the Subie has not been driven much because I can't stay off the gas :blush: I have been driving my Cabrio due to better mpg. Talk about night and day in horsepower :cry: Don't get me wrong the Cabby is a fun car, it's just not the Subie. Also, does anyone have a sort of jerk when they shift from reverse to drive? I have the automatic because I would be in JAIL with the manual! Thanks for the info y'all!
  • Options
    I finally put my money where my mouth is (not to mention months of research) and purchased an 06 Steel Gray FXT last Friday, with delivery hopefully coming late this week (it will be coming from another dealership, out of my region).

The more I think about it, the more excited I get, so I'm going to try hard to keep my mind off of it until I pick it up from the dealer! I just hope it gets here in time for a road trip I need to make next weekend, through the windy, often steep Ozark mountains. Should prove quite a fun little test to break this thing in (as well as a nice challenge not to get a speeding ticket, as I did last month on the same route).
  • Options
    Sorry, I just read this. I think in this case it was operator error! I haul donkey in the rain in my XT. I have never fish tailed, spun out NOTHING! I have the crappy stock tires on mine and drive on some curve filled roads. I SCARE :surprise: people when I drive especially the salesmen. For him to lose control at that speed. PLEASE!!!! This car handles better than my Integras I use to have. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
  • Options
    Excellent color choice! Mine is gray also. Don't forget about the agonizing 1000 mile break in period. You are going to have so much fun in this car! I love blowing away the kids in their tuner cars from stop lights!
  • Options
    Any recommendations on how gentle to be with this car in the beginning, real world experience vs. what's listed in the user's manual?

My average driving won't get me to 1000 miles for 5-6 weeks, and getting to work is rather difficult without the interstate - will the FXT make it to highway speeds without needing to rev over 4000rpm?
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Vary your speeds and rpms - no sudden starts and stops. That's the important stuff. It runs at 3,000 rpm at highway speeds so no problem there. The break -in stuff is not as important as it used to be, but no sense taking chances.
  • Options
    I have the automatic because I would be in JAIL with the manual!

That's hysterical. I would like permission to quote you in the future. Seriously. :)

-juice
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The port often adds regular to get the cars around the lot (they charge it on the invoice). I've had a miserable time trying to start turbo Outbacks in the winter because of it, but I don't have enough experience with the Forester to say either way. The owner's manual clearly states premium.
  • Options
    stevev1stevev1 Member Posts: 14
    I picked mine up 10 days ago, and I find myself just going for drives to get that first 1600 km's ( 1,000 miles ) in so I can start having some big,dirty fun.
  • Options
    That will be me, starting in a few days. I will probably bypass taking it for my roadtrip this weekend (my brother's got a new-ish Pathfinder we can use); I've got little faith I could climb some of those hills without revving too high, or at least being tempted to do so.

So here's to taking the long way home, and other detours, for at least the next month!
  • Options
    I love this car, and I've only driven it home from the dealer and to work so far!

2006 XT, steel gray ext w/black leather int
    Optional accessories:
    all weather floor mats
    cargo tray
    splash guards
    rear bumper guard

(may eventually add dog guard, trailer hitch, cross bars, and rear diff protector)

Delivered from Wyatt/Johnson Subaru in Clarksville, TN, to Little Rock, AR, with 111 miles on the odometer. Road trip to Springfield, MO tomorrow - I can't wait to get it up in the twisties! And at about 500 miles round trip, I'll be done with my first 1000 in no time.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.