Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Congrats Ed!

So who's next off the fence!?

Ken
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    News Flash: 5EAT w/ SportShift and VTD announced as a running production change on '05 Forester XT.

j/k (ducks and runs)

Congrats Ed!

DaveM
  • parigiparigi Posts: 7
    Hi, crew. Just wanted to say thanks for all your insights and opinions. I hope that I can offer some help in the future now that I took delivery of a black 2004 XT. The beast has beaten my expectations so far, though I was driving a 1990 Civic that I got for free a year ago. I won't discuss what happened last night when a Cooper S pulled up next to me at the lights.
    --Parigi
  • edunnettedunnett Posts: 552
    careful about racing until you've broken the engine in ... and always make sure she's warmed up... which for my xt takes all of 4 minutes at 1500 rpm fast idle or slow roll.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Congrats Ed!! Your first assignment is to take a look at the endlink/lateral links and compare them to the '04.

Your second assignment is to test HAL. How long does it take for the cabin temp. to regulate?

-Dennis
  • Well, answering my own question to some extent, I found this post

miamixt Apr 30, 2004 4:04am

in the archives of this forum, indicating that the Turbo carries a $250 one-time surcharge on Subaru's extended service contract.

To me, that implies that the actuaries have calculated the net present value of the marginal, average projected maintenance attributable to the Turbo option over the course of 80-100K miles is no more than $250.

That seems to be no more than a moderate risk.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Fence is slippery but I'm hanging on with my hands and feet!

Extra cost for XT: $2000
    Extra gas per year for XT: $300
    Extra cost for warranty: $250

Outrunning a 300C, GTO, 350Z, Porsche Cayenne S, and Honda S2000: priceless!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Your first assignment is to take a look at the endlink/lateral links and compare them to the '04.

Your second assignment is to test HAL. How long does it take for the cabin temp. to regulate?

I drove the car home last night in a deluge, so I can't tackle assignment one. I can answer assignment two, however. The HAL climate control in full auto gradually brought the cabin temp down to the preset temp (approx. 71 F based on eyeballing - hard to say with all the gradations b/n 65 and 75) in about 10 minutes. I imagine it helped that the thunderstorm caused outside temps to drop from 87 F to 73 F during the same time span.

Ed
    In RTFM ('05 Forester, same manual for X, XS, LLB, XT) this morning I note that there is a full section in the manual describing how VDC operates. The diagram showing the gauges and displays for the XT also shows the location of a "VDC engaged" light ("if so equipped").

Unless I'm missing something no current Forester model features VDC, so methinks this will be either a running change on the '05 XT or something to be had in '06 (grr...).

Ed
    Hmm, interesting find.

I wonder, because they have not put VDC on any AWD besides VTD.

Uh-oh, does that mean it'll get VTD as well? And a 5 speed auto with Sportshift, and 50 extra horses, and it'll run on tap water and spew gold coins from the exhaust. ;-)

You can expect continuous improvement, but I think your '05 hit a sweet spot on price and performance, not to mention a small boost in efficiency. Don't worry, be happy!

-juice
    Agreed. My first Forester was Year 3 of a 5-year cycle. This one is also Year 3, but will its cycle be 5 years as well? Time will tell.

Makes me think of "The New Kid," a new Old 97s song that's getting lots of airplay here. There will always be something new and improved down the line. Daddy just wanted a shot of fun with his practicality here and now. :-)

Ed
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Ed, congrats! And good for you for RTFM! ;-)

Interesting to see the mention of VDC. I wonder if the manual is used in markets other than the US.

Like juice pointed out, in order for VDC to happen, they need to implement VTD first!

Ken
    Look at it this way, your average available HP is better the sooner you buy. ;-)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    You just may have stumbled upon something with that VDC info. :)

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    At the risk of stating the obvious on this one....has anyone tried turning off the headlights? Running with the lights on puts the radio in night vision mode, which is extremely dim. Turn the headlights off and...voila! Full bright. I mention it only because my father called to complain that he had a bad radio that was too dim during the day, and why had he let me talk him into Subaru. I told him to go turn off the dang headlights and get back to me. He returned to the phone and sheepishly reported the radio looked fine now. Because the car has DRL's, he never noticed that he had left the lights on all the time.
    Just wait until he accidentally triggers the parking lamps.

The switch is at the top of the steering column.

-juice
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    lol, that one got me a while back - talk about a head scratcher.

Don't forget the Subie chat tonight - link is on the left.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• edunnettedunnett Posts: 552
    I love this site:
    http://www.car-videos.com/performance/speed.asp?Speed1=0&Spee- d2=60

Shows the F-XT beating out the
    Ford Mustang Mach1, Nissan 350Z, Porsche Boxter, Chevy Camaro z28, 2002 WRX, etc etc etc... and only 0.3 seconds behind the Evo. :-)

Elissa
    I think that parking light got us all. It happens the first time you clean the interior, you trip the switch, and then can't get the lights off!

Wow, my jaw almost dropped but Fitz now has an XT for $21,264! Mama-mia, I wish I was shopping right now.

Funny thing is I finally found no-haggle prices posted for Honda, Brownscar.com has a CR-V EX for $21.5k, though it's an auto and those come with a moonroof. Still, you give up a lot more than you gain and it costs more.

If you are bargain hunting grab an '04 quick before they all disappear.

Saw an '04 WRX wagon for $19,660, thought it was a typo! First time I've seen any WRX dip below $20 grand.

'04 XT with auto and PP for $23,274.

Like I said, if you're bargain hunting go *now*.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    The HAL climate control in full auto gradually brought the cabin temp down to the preset temp (approx. 71 F based on eyeballing - hard to say with all the gradations b/n 65 and 75) in about 10 minutes.

Mine has never regulated that fast in heat or a/c mode. Sounds like they fiddled with some sensors/fans. Very interesting on the VDC section.

Loosh, you can make the stereo brighter with the lights on by pushing and holding in the stereo power button. :-)

-Dennis
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    and the HVAC lights can be brightened as well by holding one of the buttons (IIRC small print BRIGHT)

Maybe the LLBean Forester will have VDC?

-Brian
    Right now the LL Beans are pricey, IIRC Fitz had them for $25k. You can get a 2004 XT PP for less.

-juice
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    Dennis- knew that!

Parking Lights- I actually helped the phone center at Valley Motors Subaru with that one. I was waiting to pay my bill and heard the girl talking to a customer who was scheduling a visit for defective lights. She put him on hold for a moment, and I told her to ask the customer to check that switch. Problem solved!
  • pon1pon1 Posts: 196
    Ed:

How is the new improved keyless entry?? The cabin filter?? The immobilizer???

(kind of lame questions, but I'm eager for any news on the 05 - it's unlikley that any of the magazines will bother to test the 05 XT, so you're the only source.....)

JP

PS: Gotta love that Crystal Gray, it looks sooo right on the FXT - there's one on the lot on my way home that I cant drive past without stopping and getting out for another look.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    '04 XT with auto and PP for $23,274.

ok that one hurt.....
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    What a moron I am. In the excitement to get an XT (and we needed a new car at that time) we bought a loaded XT PP last October and paid a couple of hundred over invoice, which stupid me thought was fair.

Now I see posts that they are selling for thousands below invoice new, which means my less than year old XT which retail stickered for about $29k is probably worth about $15k (If you do not think that is right, let me ask you, why pay more than $15k for a used one if you can get new ones for $21-$23, depending upon equipment?). Talk about depreciating like a rock. Fortunatey we were not planning on selling it before the end of this decade, but if that sucker gets wrecked or totalled, we will be out a ton of money. Better get that gap insurance.

I thought Subarus were supposed to hold their value. Only Hondas and Toyotas from here on out for me. Or I guess I should have bought something with more staying power, like maybe a Kia Rio or a Chevy Cavalier. At least I still like the car...
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    The reason for '04 Foresters being highly discounted is the coming '05 models of both the Forester and especially the Legacy / Outback and the push to move them off the lot.

The '05 Legacy / Outback high level trim models are so grossly overpriced, that they are pushing the Foresters waaaay down in price, especially the '04's.

I predict Subaru will be stuck with a ton of unsold LGT's and OBXT's due to the ridiculous pricing. If you look around the dealer lot, sticker shock is the only way to describe the reaction.

The OBXT LTD Auto is ABOVE $33K!!! The LGT LTD is over $32K!!! What is Subaru thinking? Are they trying to price themselves out of their own market?

Expect big fire sales coming pretty soon at your local Subaru dealer...
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Those are 04 clearance prices, the moment they are gone, the comparison will be with new 05's going for $25k+. Discount for a 1 year old Subie relative to new is nowhere near $10k (25-15k as you postulated). If it was, I'd have bought used. Can you find a FXT listed for sale anywhere? I'd be very suprised to find one for less than $20k asking price. A month from now, those 04's will be worth the same as yours, but you got 6 months more fun and an extra winter that they didn't.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    and lose 30% of your value just by getting the title and losing all the financing and other advantages of a new car. That puts a $21K to $23K FXT at $14,700 to $16,100. Plus 13,000 miles we have driven it. We would be lucky to get $15k. Trade much lower. That initial depreciation of buying a new car is bad enough without current brand new cars selling for five thousand less than what I paid ten months ago (which was a couple hundred over invoice). That new Forester XT is nice and I love it, but I not buying a car in its first year anymore, as you apparently can get killed that way. I hope my wife does not see any of those ads, or my marriage is probably toast.
This discussion has been closed.