Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    I found it over at nasioc, News and Rumors form. I don't remember which thread, however.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Auto or manual? The auto takes a while to learn your driving style. Until then, shifts can lag a bit.

If it's a manual, try rolling into the throttle gradually, don't stab it (floor it). L-GT owners suggest that.

-juice
  • If your trips are only 2 to 3 miles, it is unreasonable to expect anything approaching EPA rated mileage. Internal Combustion engines are very inefficient until they reach normal operating temperature, which takes at least 3 miles or so, even in warm ambient temperatures. At that point your trip is over.

Trips of that length are very hard on the vehicle because water and byproducts of incomplete combustion accumulate in the crankcase and exhaust system, and never get a chance to boil away. I have the same problem with my daughters car, as her school commute is about 3 miles. So, I have her take the long way around at least once a week to give the engine a chance to get rid of the water and acidic deposits.
    Very well stated. :shades:

-juice
  • I have a 2005 FXT that is a year old with 9800 miles. I am changing to synthetic and was looking at Mobil 1. I was wondering what people were running in their vehicles. Subaru recommends 5-30 but I hear people running 10-30 in warmer weather. I live in Baltimore MD. I went to Mobil.com and looked at the properties for different Mobil 1 oils. It looks like the 5-30 is thicker at 100 C than the 10-30(11.3 vs 10.0) so now I am confused. I could really use some help.
    Also has anyone used Wix oil filters on their Subaru? Thanks Jim
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    I've tried a number of different synthetics (Quaker State and Castrol) as well as some synthetic blends. Regarding the blends, depending on who you talk to, it can become a religious issue.

The reason I mention that, is that every third oil change, about 9000 miles, I send out a sample to Blackstone Labs to look at. I do this on my 04XT and my wife's 03 OBW. In all cases, except for the synthetics, the oil that goes in as 10w-30 changes to a 5w-30 viscosity by the time its run 3000 miles or so.

Currently I'm running QS high HP 10w/30 synthetic blend. Seems to give me the best reults on the Backstone reports.

Even with the synthtics, the flashpoint remains marginal om my FXT. Colin put up a good explanation of flashpoint quite a while back.

On the other hand, even with a synthetic, if you read the owner's manual carefully, you'll find there's no relief on the change time with a synthetic vs a dino oil. Someone's also asked SOA about that and posted the same answer direct from Subaru.

Most of my trips are of the 4 mile variety, probably 70-80% of the time. That's the rason I don't complain about 14 mpg.

Although they can't complain about it if you use another brand filter, I'd be tempted to buy a box of Subaru filters and a dozen crush washers.

HTH

Larry
  • destroirdestroir Posts: 4
    update;

I brought the car in to Subaru and they said that everything was "normal". They hooked it up to the computer and active valve timing was at 9.4% (whatever that means) and that they didn't notice any hesitation during the test drive. Very annoying! I asked them if they even looked at the union screw filter and they said, "No, the computer indicated that nothing was wrong and the service bulletin that you gave us was from the U.S. and wasn't applicable in Canada". :confuse: "Is there no filter in the Canadian Foresters?", I asked sarcastically. "Well, yes, but the bulletin isn't for Canada so we didn't check." GREAT!

As the Service guy pulled my car out of the bay, he cranked the wheel all the way and it made a strange high pitch pulsating squeel type of noise. I never crank the wheel all the way so I hadn't heard this noise until then. The Service schmo said taht it didn't sound normal. My question is - is it normal? Is this some kind of warning that you've cranked the wheel too far? It wasn't a really loud sound but it was definitely apparent.

Any comments would be appreaciated.

Thx,
    D.
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    Most of my trips are of the 4 mile variety, probably 70-80% of the time. That's the rason I don't complain about 14 mpg

At last, someone else who only gets 14 MPG. I thought I was the only one!! Yup, car still getting 13/14 MPG - even with 10 mile trips and some freeway driving! 2006 Forester XT Automatic.

But, I love the car!

Samantha :shades:
    Looks like it will finally get 17" alloy rims for MY07. This from a dealer web site.

-juice
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    I just bought my 06 Forester Turbo in March thinking it was the best combo of SUV/sports car (except for the Cayanne) on the market. Just now, I was watching TV and saw a tremendous ad for the new Mazda CX-7.

I don't know cars like you guys do, so will someone please tell me is the Mazda is now the second fastest SUV on the road (we all know the Cayanne is #1).

I'm gonna go and check the Mazda out, even though I just bought my car. Just how sick am I gonna get??? Anyone test drive one yet??

Samantha

P.S. Still getting between 13-14 MPG no matter how I drive the car. Really, really disappointed with the mileage, which was the entire reason I bought a 4-cylinder car (and now I've got a 4-cyl car that requires Premium!!) :cry:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,043
    The easy solution is to kill your TV and then block your browser ads. :D

Steve, Host
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Posts: 464
    The CX7 looks like an impressive vehicle, but I don't know that anyone has called it "fast." True it's got the Mazdaspeed 6's turbo 4 in it, but from what I've read the acceleration and gas mileage are nothing to write home about. It's seems to be a very sporty-handling and looking car, and it does make decent power, but I wouldn't necessarily rank it higher than the XT in my mind. Enjoy your new car -- it's really one of the best on the market!

Brian
  • dstew1dstew1 Posts: 275
    Check out the top right hand of your screen - you'll notice the CX7 review is Edmund's featured video.

According to the video, it's plenty fast for highway passing but lacks good low-end grunt, giving it a 0-60 time somewhere in the upper 7s. They do say it handles well though, which is no surprise given it's a Mazda.

So no, it's not the "second fastest SUV on the road," but neither is the stock Cayenne turbo the fastest; you'd probably have to look to Jeep for that distinction. Their Grand Cherokee SRT8 with the 6.1L Hemi is a few ticks faster in a straight line than both the stock FXT and Cayenne turbo. Motor Trend ran a 4.8 0-60 in the Jeep, with it doing 13.5 in the 1/4 mile.

Doug
    CX7 is heavy, I think C&D took high 7s to reach 60mph as well. That's not slow, but not nearly as quick as your XT, even the autos are a good 1.5 seconds quicker. The manuals leave 'em in the dust.

Mazda has had issues with heat soak on the MazdaSpeed6, so this powertrain is still not fully sorted out, plus it's v1.0. I'm not saying I would not consider one, but I would not buy one until I knew those issues were sorted out.

I love the styling of the CX7.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Personally, I'm confident that the FXT is still the best combo of SUV/sports car on the market :) The Cayenne TURBO is faster but then its price is also pushing 6 figures! X3 owners claim that it has sportier handling but it too costs twice as much as the FXT.

I'm baffled on how exactly you're only managing 13-14 mpg :confuse: Have you taken a several hundred mile hwy trip in it and if so, what was your mpg? The lifetime mpg avg for my manual XT (mostly hwy) is almost 24 mpg.

-Frank
  • rbladerrblader Posts: 28
    We don't typically get good gas mileage on our FXT/4EAT either. But on our way home from our Memorial Day weekend roadtrip(which took us from OC,CA to Crater Lake, OR), we drove from Monterey,CA back to Orange County,CA (370 miles) via Pacific Coast Highway (Big Sur) and 101 on ONE TANK of gas. I still had enough gas left to go to work (20 miles) the next day. I was really surprised that our XT could reach almost 400 miles on 1 tank. By the way, don't try to pump your own gas in Oregon... it's illegal. : )
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Oregon must be the land of the lost gas cap and the check engine light. I wonder if they get annoyed if you tighten up your gas cap before leaving the station.

I wonder how our bearded submariner Ballistic is doing (Oregon, wasn't he?)

John
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,043
    When I visit over there (state line is ~40 miles away), I always hang around the tank to prevent topping off and I do click the cap myself. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Southern CA to Crater Lake? Whoa that's a pretty long weekend road trip! Crater lake is stunning though and certainly worth the drive, I need to go back there.

-Frank
This discussion has been closed.