Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, if you chip a 1.8T, they say high octane becomes are requirement.

Pretty funny that they told him to switch down, though.

-juice
  • Kens - if you want cleaner burning, and for those who live in 'fuel line freezing' country just find yourself a 10% ethanol mixture... there's a good article @ < http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm >

My friend has a V6 Ford Escape with 100k, and he's never gotten 22mpg on a highway run. I borrowed it for a 1500 mile trip and averaged 20mpg. .. over the same route my XT got 26 and was driven 'somewhat' faster... ymmv!
  • Subkid.. After a week of estimates/scheduling finally had a HiddenHitch installed @ Hitch Warehouse... dealer's after market recommendation.
    They installed a Class-2.. 300/3500# as that's all they could hunt-up that fit. It looks good and still was just half the Subaru OEM price!!
    Cool, just keep in mind your capacity is still 200 lbs tongue weight.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Just picked up a case at the parts dept last night. Seems like its sized for the average lawnmower.

Instinct tells me you'd want something that would hold more oil both for cooling and for filtering.

Interestingly they recommend a full turn after the gasket makes contact - most are 2/3 to 3/4 max.

This thing is tiny. But the good news is, since they made them smaller, they cost lots more.

Larry
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    "But the good news is, since they made them smaller, they cost lots more."

Good one, Larry! :-)

Len
  • I have $45 worth of Subaru Bucks saved up on my credit card. When it hits $100 I plan on doing the same thing. How much did they charge for the case?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Is Purolator making the oil filter for Subaru again? If so, you might be able to get them for a little less at the auto parts store.

Ken
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    Chat starts in 8.5 hours. I hope this isn't too much advance warning!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm thinking about going to Redline Synthetics for my 5MT and differentials. Is it feasible? If so when is the best time for me to change? I'm still under 1000 miles.

Thanks for your input
    LOL!

Is Purolator also the OEM for that? What is the wholesale price of the XT oil filter? Try parts@libertysubaru.com for a quote.

-juice
  • You should probably wait for 1000 miles, as with the engine oil. I've read a lot of people use Redline in their WRXs and seem to like it. You need to put the GL-5 rated stuff (75w90 usually).
  • Is Redline better than Amsoil? I've heard that Amsoil is the top of the line.
    Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil...I think any of these boutique gear oils will be more than enough for the XT gearbox under daily driving.

Ken
    Heck, regular ol' dino oil has worked fine for decades. They say some synthetics are too slippery for gear boxes!

-juice
    Couldn't find an aftermarket cross. These are labelled :
    Tokyo Roki Co, Ltd. LFS706
    Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries) PN : 15208AA080

Dealer got me in the mid $70.00's for a 12 pack.

I might have shopped them some more, but his prices have matched up fairly well overall.

Also, since I'm buying the parts from the dealer, they don't give me grief about doing my own work.

Couldn't find the crush washers at Home Depot - 0.67 per at the dealer. The other dealer, closest to me gets $1.25 each.

HTH
    Larry
    I hate to bring it up, but has anyone got thoughts on what would make a good winter tire for the XT, given the extra torque, etc?

Larry
    Larry,

I'd click that link there to the left for Tire Rack and look through their reviews of various dedicated winter tires. There are quite a few choices for "peformance" winter tires. It's kind of an oxymoron, but there are some winter tires that give up ultimate traction to maintain some high speed stability.

Ken
  • I'm kind of thinking the geolandars look like they will be able to hold their own?
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    For extreme snow traction, try the Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-50s. I have them on a set of steel wheels for my 2001 Forester and they are truly amazing in snow...MUCH better than my old 4WD Montero with Goodyear Wrangler ATs.

Len
    stoner420 - I made it through last winter with the Geolanders on my 03 XS - I suppose given the winter we had in the North East that says something good about them right there. I've never really thought my Forester handled as well in the snow as the wife's Outback with the factory Bridgestones. In all other conditions, the Forester matched or exceeded her handling (the car's, not the wife's) :<).

Anyway, given the cost of the the Alloy rims if I mangled them, I bought a set of 16" Forester steel wheels on ebay last year. Of course by the time I atually got them, no one had any snow tires left online, and the locals were taking full advantage of the miserable weather (kind of like buying AC in the middle of a heat wave). So I ended up running the Geo's for the entire season.

Now I've got the rims and misgivings about the Geo's with a much "torquier" (sp?) drivetrain. So I think I'll try some snows.

Never did understand putting a traction B tire (the Geo's) on an AWD drive car, unless you're planning on having the AWD make up for deficiences in the tires grip. I am glad they were smart enough to put Temperature A tires on the Forester however. If I had to pick one rating with an A and one with a B I'd go with Trac B, Temp A.

For stock tires for the Forester tirerack.com only has the Blizzaks, the Dunlop Graspic, a Michelin tire, and some Firestones. There's a much better selection in the Outbacks's sizes.

Whatever I do its going to be soon - tirerack was out of the Forester sizes in Nov last year.

Larry
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    Blizzaks WS50 are great for most purposes, the Arctic Alpin isn't bad either and better on dry roads than the blizzaks but worse on ice.
    Don't forget the Nokians either, ran them on my Legacy last winter, may give up some ice performance to the Blizzak/Alpin but they are almost as good as the Blizzak LM22 on my WRX in the dry.
    When the summer and winter tres on my minivan dies I am going to get Nokian WRs for them and run them year round. Thats the other thing, you can do that on the Nokians and not the other winter tires!
  • finally got past the magical 1000 miles so it was time to open it up with some foot to the floor acceleration trials. to my dismay i noticed a series of pulsating power loses/surges. i really noticed them in 2nd or 3rd gear cuz i was too afraid to keep the pedal buried by the time 4th rolled around and the thought of my NJ insurance rates taking a huge hit.

these surges/loses of power were not big but more like i have experienced when a car has a bad plug or not tuned right.

comments about the power issue are welcomed and not the ones on my lack of guts on powering thru the 100mph numbers...
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    Swampy,

Your surges may or may not be what I'm experiencing. For the last few weeks, 1 or 2 seconds following nearly every upshift (after the clutch is fully engaged and while I'm applying normal steady throttle), I'm getting what feels like fluttering from the electronic throttle. It typically lasts for one or three seconds, and it feels exactly as if I'm rapidly applying and releasing the throttle even though I'm not. It's extremely annoying. Is that anything like what you're talking about? It's on my growing list of issues to discuss at my first service visit.
  • my foot is steady ( on floor board ).
    this continues throughout the life of my foot being buried thru each gear, not just 1 or 2 seconds.
    it sometimes feels like the engine is 'flooded' due to the fact than only sometimes when i take my foot a bit off the gas, i then get a surge of power.
    i also get that pause when the initial stomp on the gas when the engine or at seems to be thinking about why i am stomping on the gas at 25 mph, then it figures out the downshift.
  • Thanks to everyone on this message board for all their efforts to spread helpful information.

After lurking here for the better part of a year(and occasionally posting), I have finally convinced my better half to put in our order for a silver XT Premium. We're working with our local dealer, Maurice (thanks juice!) to settle the details, but I hope to have the order in by the end of the week. It should be fairly straightforward since my wife qualifies for the VIP treatment through her professional society.

I've asked that we get a "fresh" car from the factory so it could take a little while to get to us, but I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Does anyone have a good reference for financing?

Many thanks again,

--dcdouglas
    Swampy,

I rarely use wide-open-throttle, but on those few times I've done so, I haven't noticed what you're experiencing. The only thing I notice is the half-second or so of lag that's presumably due either to the turbo or perhaps to reaction time in resetting the variable valve timing to the new demand. Once past that initial lag, the acceleration is strong and sustained.

So, the only aberration I'm experiencing is the throttle flutter lasting a few seconds shortly after each upshift.
    Cool, I'm glad my referral helped. Since you're a VIP buyer I don't think he'll pay a referral fee, but who cares. Enjoy your Subie!

Question for you both: what octane? Jack is still using premium, right?

-juice
    Feels for all the world like the electronic throttle can't decide what to do for several seconds following each upshift - so it overshoots and undershoots a half-dozen times before it settles.
This discussion has been closed.