Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Don - Mine have engaged under rare conditions - not with one pot hole but when there's a whole series of small pot holes or if the road is a real "washboard". So far they've always disengaged quickly however.

I've made some fairly sharp low speed turns from lock-to-lock and haven't had the wheel ever go off center.
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    shouldn't be too hard reversing all the arguments I used against SUV's)

Rotsa ruck. That never works with my wife; she traps me with the slightest inconsistency, especially when I try to justify buying something.

Re. HH: do you know if it can be adjusted so loose that it won't hold at all?...I don't like the idea of a hot rotor being held by the pads in one spot while they cool.

I don't think they can be completely defeated, but the effect certainly be reduced, both by adjustment and by altering your braking style to better suit (accomodate to) the HH. For what it's worth, I never readjusted mine, but their action is far less intrusive now than when the car was new. In addition, I've changed how I apply brakes when coming to a complete stop (e.g. much more lightly at the very end), after which the HH hardly 'sets' at all. Plus, hot iron disk rotors take much longer to cool down than just the minute or two at a traffic light, so I really don't think they will contribute to warpage.

it is sometimes more efficient to drive in a lower gear with more throttle.

From your context, I assume by lower you mean staying in 3rd instead of 4th or 4th instead of 5th. Most engineering analyses would say the opposite - an Otto-cycle engine should provide better combustion efficiency by (within limits, avoiding lugging, for example) getting into the higher gears sooner rather than later.

Any XT owners have problems with the steering wheel being offset towards the direction of the last U or sharp turn?

I've heard that mentioned, but detect no sign of it on mine.

wrx swaybars

There are other Subaru/Forester conferences where suspension mods are yakked about endlessly. We're not allowed to say which, but search Google and you'll find them.

ABS engagement

The ABS on my XT is less prone to kicking in over ordinary pavement irregularities than others I've driven.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Actually, my dogs view it as a treat to go anywhere in the car, and as they each are only about 20lbs, they'll do fine in an XT.

I've often been accused of being long in the tooth, but long in the "bum" is a new one!

On a more serious note, getting rid of the ML430, in favor of an XT is a no brainer. It has been a very problematic vehicle, and now that it's out of warranty, it's become expensive to keep up. It's been an excellent snow vehicle, but a very poor Mercedes (I know, I've had 4 of them). Subarus in general and Foresters in particular, are also excellent snow vehicles. I would estimate that at least 1/2 of the full time residents, here on Beech Mtn., drive Subaru's of one form or another.

Jack - check your e-mail.
    Cheers
    Pat
    I can see why you want PP/leather. Doggie slobber and cloth seats aren't a happy combination.

My cat, delighful in every other way, hates being forced to ride in cars. She 'rewards' me every time.
    My dogs don't slobber!!!!
    re; e-mail - sorry! forgot you have to work -PITY!!
    Cheers
    Pat
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    andmoon Jan 9, 2004 3:26pm

Don-
    If you haven't swapped the RE92s on the WRX, swap them for crippier tires i.e. SP5000s. I did the swap recently and noticed the ABS to be less trigger happy [more normal]. Should the ABS continue to give you some good heart pumping thereafter, call it in [1-800-SUBARU3] to have a case file started. :)

-Dave
    Well, excuuuuuse me. I should have said 'drool'.
    Y're excused! LOL
    Cheers
    Pat
  • akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    More OCD test drives between Highlander and XT today.
    I'll tell you the 04 V6 HL (gray interior + tilt moonroof + JBL Stereo) is a fine vehicle. BUT I just can't get that glove-like behind the wheel driving position - keep wanting to get the seat bottom to drop - feels like I'm way too high in the saddle reaching somewhat down to steering wheel - inside rearview mirror almost at eye-level. Weird thing is I fit fine in my Camry (same DNA) - what did the HL engineers do to this thing? I'm only 6' tall (inseam 32") I should fit in Toyota's Mid-Size SUV no sweat.
    Did Toyota reckon most females (read soccermoms) are 5'2" - 5'8" and corrupt the cockpit accordingly!? Is this typical minvan seating or something? No other SUV/Truck/Car that I've tested (and I have made quite a nuisance of myself, I assure you) is as weirdly ergonomically unfriendly.
    By comparison, I slide into the XT and with a minimum of tweaking the seat I'm tucked in sweetly. Smaller vehicle - better fit. Go figure. Anyway, Hats off to the Subaru Seat Team!
    I never seriously considered the Highlander because (like so many others) it's automatic only. But the seat-height issue you raise sounds correctable via vertically-adjustable power seats. No such option available?
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    srp- a higher seating position is normally a selling point for many would-be SUV owners since it allows the driver to see out over the traffic ahead. It's been my observation that women are especially attracted by this feature. Of course it's also a major component in the trend towards bigger and bigger SUVs (when you reach the point where you can no longer see over the vehicles in front you simply buy a bigger SUV). In fact, I've read reviews where the Forester was dinged for not having a higher seating position. Personally, I prefer the lower position as it leads to better handling and a sportier more car like ride.

-Frank P.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    HL is soft and big. Forester is small and sporty. As much as they have in common, they are polar opposites in personality.

Step away from both vehicles and ask yourself, what do you really want?

If you pick sporty, the XT will leave a smile on your face that will make it easy to overlook whatever minor shortcomings it has.

OTOH, the HL could be the world's most perfectly reliable, quality vehicle, but if it's no fun, you'll regret the purchase every day you own it, and envy XT owners.

Now, if you have 3 kids and drive around pot holes all day and really don't ever drive fast, then that's different.

-juice
    and really don't ever drive fast, then that's different.

Good grief. There's the problem! I should have bought a Highlander.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    I feel somewhat 'immortal' while driving the XT, the Highlander just looks boring. Besides, every other car in this horrible City is from Toyota!
    ...the seat-height issue you raise sounds correctable via vertically-adjustable power seats. No such option available?

Yep, JB, my observations are based on the 8-Way Power Diver's Seat in full vertical down position. Odd.

a higher seating position is normally a selling point for many would-be SUV owners since it allows the driver to see out over the traffic ahead

Feels like Toyota is artificially jacking the eye-point up by having the seat too high in the cabin. Compensating for the easy ingress-egress which I think they're also marketing to the gals. Like you, Frank, I prefer to sit lower - not necessarily my rear end closer to the road - but in relationship to the wheel - not only more comfortable but more control. Feel and postion of the driver's seat are probably the top ranked priorities to me.

Anyway, really glad I discovered this design flaw before dropping $30K and owning it. Funny, I had rented a HL a while back and the power seat was broken - stuck in full-up vertical - one should recognize the voice of God when one hears it...

Having repeated Visions of a bright star cluster...

-srp
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    The setting - the Decatur area of Atlanta approx. 8:15 on a cold Sunday morning. Don't ask me what I was doing up on this ungodly hour on the Lord's day. Me and my wife, in my black Mazda 4X4, and not in my/our XT. Driving NE on Lawrenceville Highway I see a silver XT with smoked windows. I pass my turn to follow. I pull up behind it at the intersection to North Druid Hills. I flash my lights and wave.

Either the driver does not see me or perhaps being in the high crime Atlanta area I frighten him as he probably figures I am up to no good (probably another panhandler of some type no doubt). In a blast of turbo power the XT driver rockets off to make a left turn. My NA 4.0 V6 truck is sadly left behind. Could it have been that I was behind someone who posts on this board?

Naaa - I mean what would the chances of that be?
    Hi George! That was me. I did vaguely notice a black Mazda truck behind me at the intersection but missed the wave and flashing lights (I wasn't trying to be rude). You'll have to forgive me as I was kinda out of it and on my way home after having just finished a 24-hr shift. In fact I'm heading off to catch some shut-eye right now :-)

-Frank P.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    OK, yesterday, in 10 degree weather, drove 35 miles on the highway, at high speed, lights off, most accessories off, with the climate control doing its idiotic thing. Let the car sit for 5 hours outside in the cold. Go to start it, the thing BARELY turns over. What kind of a P.O.S. battery does Subaru put in these cars? It did manage to catch on and start, but this car is definitely NOT a cold weather car as far as some vital components go. Hint to Subaru - put a REAL battery in the car you advertise for cold weather driving!
    I should have bought a Highlander...sigh...
    Sam- You're kidding right? There's nothing wrong with the batteries Subaru uses so something must have been draining it. FYI: I've discovered the dome light left on after eight hours but with no noticeable drain on the battery.

-Frank P.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    replacing a battery is a bit easier than replacing the soul of a car.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    check the fluid levels of the battery, perhaps one (or more) are a bit low.

-Brian
    I'm not about to repace a battery on a brand new car. It's a well known fact that Subaru uses the cheapest, weakest possible batteries in their cars. I had the same problem with my 96 Legacy until I replaced that piece with a Sears Diehard. And nothing is draining it - it's just these batteries have no performance in cold weather. Things warmed up today, and it cranks ok again.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    those cute mini Parking lights? While the XT has the auto cutoff so you are not able to leave your Headlights or Fog Lights (Daytime Running Lights) on, the rocker switch on top of the steering column is easily activated.
    It's a well known fact that Subaru uses the cheapest, weakest possible batteries in their cars.

Sam- Well it's news to me. what's your source?

I too would be completely unhappy if a cheapo battery in my brand new car caused difficulty when starting in cold weather. However, I don't buy that for a minute. There are plenty of Forester owners who live in much colder climates than yours and you don't hear them complaining. That's not to say that the OEM battery is the best performer on the market. I don't think any manufacturer (including Subaru) splurges on top-of-the-line batteries but the OEM one should perform acceptably for at least 3 years.

I still think that something is draining the battery. You either left something on or there's a bad ground somewhere.

-Frank P.
    yesterday, in 10 degree weather...Let the car sit for 5 hours outside in the cold. Go to start it, the thing BARELY turns over. What kind of a P.O.S. battery does Subaru put in these cars?

That last sentence is a bit over the top. My XT battery is older than yours, and several times during our recent foul weather I had to leave mine parked in the open in 10-degree weather. No difference in cranking speed than when the weather was warm. No difference at all.

The gearbox lube was stiffer than snot for the first mile, but there was absolutely no problem getting the engine to spin and start.
    Another psychotic test drive today. This time back-to-back 4Runner (V6 Sport) vs the XT.
    Seating position (was still on my driving position jag) in the 4Runner much better than the Highlander - went back and forth between the two no less than 6 ‘seatings’ each (oh yeah, I’m one sick pup!)
    4Runner (dark blue ext/dark gray int) is a beautiful tank-of-a-beast (wide, well placed armrest and remote up/down back window alone would would sell me on it vs HL - nevermind the preferred seating). The Sport version has a very tight ride, minimal lean and roll (for an SUV) and plenty of power. Almost equal mpg in XT vs 4Runner despite the 4230 curb wt. Quiet on the freeway. Upscale, solid interior. Lots of cargo space. Real deal of SUVs.
    Then immediately put almost a half hour in the XT. Neighborhood, desert back roads and freeway. Salesman very laid back. Happy to be out for a Sunday drive. No pressure to buy. My best XT (#6?) test drive yet.
    I’m finally beginning to soften on my “rough, noisy ride” stance - and this particular XT (Aspen/ noPP) was 100% creak & rattle free. I found myself much more at one with the nimbler, faster albeit significantly less-substantial and less spacious XT. Any feeling of true control one would have driving the 2 Ton SUVs would IMHO be illusory.
    Anyway, Apples and Oranges.
    Arguably drove the best ‘true’ SUV vs the best sportwagon/small SUV available. I could be happy with either. Ah, but happiest...?
    srp- What's a comparably equipped 4Runner go for these days? They use to be pricey and it's been years since I looked at one. Apples and oranges to be sure!

-Frank P.
    Nothing is draining the battery, it just doesn't perform in cold weather. It can sit in the garage for a week, and start right up, but outside in the cold, just cranks REALLY slow. I had the exact same problem with my Legacy, until I ditched the OEM battery and put a DieHard in. As far as I'm concerned, the OEM battery is junk. I'll bring this up at the next service, but something tells me, I'll be getting a new battery before next winter.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I had a '96 Legacy OBW for 6.5 years and 128k miles. It sat outside 24/7 in temperatures from -10F to +110F. This all on the one and only OEM battery. YMMV.

I guess I got a good one. The car had A/T & AWP (heated seats, mirrors, block heater) so it may have had a better OEM battery to start with.

DaveM
    My 03 XS dragged when we had two or three days in a row of below 10 degree weather.

My 04 XT is worse - goes from a one crank start above 32degF or so to 3 or so sluggish cranks in the morning after a few days of 10 degF. This is with the car being driven everyday. I let it set from Friday night to Sunday morning and it wasn't a confidence inspiring experience to listen to the engine crank.

I think the (325?) CCA of the Forester battery could be better. This weather's been so cold for so long around here even the wife's OBW is a little sluggish after it sets a day or so and it has a beefier battery.

Don't know why they couldn't up the CCA of the battery, especially on cars equipped with the AWP. I wouldn't have minded kicking in an extra $10 on the sticker.

For you folks with the better performing batteries - are yours MT vs my AT?

Just curious.

Larry
  • darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    as a serious buyer i wonder if i should wait to drive the Legacy GT before i make my decision to buy. Anyone have any thoughts about the GT vs XT??
    Given the quality of my wife's OBW from a fit and finish perspective vs both of the Foresters I've had - an 03 XS and 04 XT (her OBW is assembled better than both of my Foresters), I'd wait and try a GT. The OBW is also a lot quieter than either of my Foresters.

Fit and finish seems to vary widely amongst the Forester's owned by folks on these forums.

Larry
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I'm on my OEM, 76,000 miles, never had a problem. My wife's battery went up at 50k but in the middle of the summer. YMMV I guess.
  • bokoboko Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have the full dog guard and care to comment on how it fits/works? Is it hard to remove and install? One salesman told me the full dog guard is screwed in and a real pain to try and remove when necessary. He suggested that I buy an aftermarket spring loaded version. Thanks, looking for any actual owner experiences.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If the car sits on a dealer's lot for an extended time the battery is prone to failure; some just can't seem to recover and need to be replaced.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Don't rechargeable batteries all have the need to be conditioned [charge - discharge - charge - discharge] before it holds/retains a good charge?

Maybe the battery hasn't the opportunity to be conditioned.

-Dave
    4Runner despite the 4230 curb wt.

I realize it's only my bias showing, but wild horses couldn't drag me to buy any vehicle weighing over 2 tons. I like nimble; I hate ponderous. I am happiest, and my minimalist leanings are best satisfied, when I'm driving the lightest vehicle that just barely manages to meet 90% or so of my transportation requirements. I don't include maybe-once-a-year needs in those requirements; I can always rent something for those rare instances where greater capacity is needed.
    For you folks with the better performing batteries - are yours MT vs my AT?

At only age 6 months, it's too soon to give a glowing testimonial, but in 10-degree temperatures, mine gave me no concern at all. That's with the manual gearbox. The latter was extremely stiff right after cold-weather starts
    wonder if i should wait to drive the Legacy GT before i make my decision to buy. Anyone have any thoughts about the GT vs XT??

Unless the specific characteristics of either one strongly meet your requirements better than the other, you can't lose with either one. The XT is somewhat more utilitarian and and versatile, and will undoubtedly be thousands cheaper, but the Legacy will likely be quieter and more refined, have a roomier back seat, and wow! - that gorgeous styling. Maybe Juice can confirm whether it'll be offered with manual gearbox and leather and sunroof; for many folks, that would be a deciding factor between the two.

If I hadn't already bought an XT, I personally would absolutely, positively wait a few more months until I could directly compare both of these excellent choices.
  • lbhaleylbhaley Member Posts: 91
    It has been VERY cold here in NH for the last week. Below zero at night and low single numbers during the day. My XT has started just fine. It cranks a little slower by fires off on the third turn as always. The battery in my 98 Forester S lasted 4 years. Both cars have manual transmissions, although I can't see how that could possibly affect battery performance.
    The OEM - Subaru grate for the Forester has two brackets that get screwed into the roof. These brackets screw into holes revealed when two trim buttons are pulled out. The grate then sets into the curtain holder and screws to the brackets. If you don't mind leaving the brackets in the roof, its about a five minute job to remove and/or reinstall the grate.

There are two problems with the spring loaded versions IMO, first - they put pressure on the headliner and can leave marks. Second, they aren't as well anchored as one that actually attaches to something.

But - they do tend to cost a lot less. The Subie grate is way overpriced, also IMO. That being said my Forester and my wifes's OBW both have the OEM grates and we really like them.

HTH
    Larry
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    My 10 month old battery in the wrx cranked slowly in 3 degree weather...It might have been the cold plus the thick oil (Mobil 5-30). It was so cold the car would not coast back down my driveway the way it usually does...Diff oil(s) too thick? Felt like low range in trooper.

Ballistic, My concern with the HH is the discs don't have to cool all the way down to warp. I think it is the temp. diff. of the section that is held by the pads and the other areas that causes the warping...I remember seeing a picture of a supposed warped disc with the imprint of the pads baked in.

I hope the Legacy GT doesn't get burdened by weight the way the Baja does. Does anyone know if it is the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine that will be put in the Legacy?

Don
    I was just wondering if the mechanical load imposed by the AT is heavier than having no drivetrain load when the clutch is pushed in while starting.

It seems that the AT with a torque converter full of cold fluid would take more CCA to get spinning, hence have more of a tendency to drag.

I've run it past three of the gearheads here at work and they agree that my theory intuitively sounds plausible.

Larry
    What's a comparably equipped 4Runner go for these days?

Add about 5K to your XT price, Frank.

wild horses couldn't drag me to buy any vehicle weighing over 2 tons

I hear that, JB. I can't seem to quite get with the marketed appeal of these things. Despite the creature comforts, try as I might, something inherently repels me. Seems odd one would choose to 'get used' to a driving experience so immediately foreign - and piloting a 2Ton vehicle is foreign or at least it should be! But there sure are a lot of these Small Car Killers on the road. And sadly being driven by folks who seem to be completely unschooled in the basic principles of physics. If you can't beat 'em join 'em has always rung hollow for me. Prefer catch me if you can.
    Better yet, Kiss My White XT ;-)
    If the Mobil 5-30 is synthetic, it shouldn't thicken much at all I believe. Even if its not synthetic 5-30 is still lighter than 10-40.

Larry
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    To do a XT and GT comparision. Waiting to see how much sportier the GT feels, along with the refinement and looks. Also how much more it will be.

-B
    My concern with the HH is the discs don't have to cool all the way down to warp

I understand the concern, I just don't think the HH is likely to have any greater adverse effect than non-HH brakes. I say this as one who isn't that wild about the HH. I eventually altered my driving style somewhat to reduce the HH's initial annoying intrusion. Mainly, I formed the habit of easing way off the brakes just as the wheels stop turning, and then making certain I didn't add any pressure during the stop prior to getting going again. This causes the HH to 'set' very lightly - no more than absolutely necessary to prevent creeping back. Your foot would apply that much pressure during a stoplight wait anyway, so the HH would be no worse from a rotor warp perspective than a non-HH vehicle.

...I remember seeing a picture of a supposed warped disc with the imprint of the pads baked in

I can't speak to the circumstances that created that condition, but I'd think the rotors would have to be extremely hot - far above ordinary everyday peak operating temps - for anything like that to occur.

I hope the Legacy GT doesn't get burdened by weight the way the Baja does. Does anyone know if it is the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine that will be put in the Legacy?

The Baja uses the current-generation (old) Legacy structure (appreciably heavier than the new Forester), plus it adds some reinforcement. Plus all that ugly cladding.

Early reports indicate that expanded use of aluminum has reduced the next-gen Legacy's weight by 150-200 pounds, and that it might actually weigh barely more than my XT. That would be a terrific accomplishment, and would make it just that much more desirable. Imagine the performance of the 5-speed Legacy turbo if its engine actually exceeds the XT's power by 10% or more, but the curb weights are similar. Then imagine the Legacy 5-speed automatic's advantage over the 4-speed XT. Makes me drool.

There will be 6-cyl versions of the next-gen Legacy and/or Outback, but the Legacy GT Turbo will use the detuned STi 4-cyl, as does the XT.
    try as I might, something inherently repels me.

Hurray! Glad to hear that. Sometimes I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness.

piloting a 2Ton vehicle is foreign or at least it should be! But there sure are a lot of these Small Car Killers on the road.

On 99% of controversial issues, I come down on the side of less gummint interference rather than more. However, I absolutely, positively would support legislation capping the weight of all vehicles sold to non-commercial owners at some reasonable maximum. Putting herds of 6-7,000# lb SUVs on the same roads with 3,000# autos is ridiculous - and yet it is unarguably the latter, not the former, that are in line with the critical national interest to reduce our dependence on oil imported from unreliable foreign sources.
    And the winner is - the XT only cause I could get out of the of the way of the twit blowing off her stop sign - then she shoots me the bird for honking at her.....

Jack - I'm with you on capping vehicle size, especially in large urban areas.

On topic - isn't it wonderful that the XT is so quick and maneuverable?

Larry
  • bokoboko Member Posts: 5
    When the dog guard is installed on the Forester does it block from floor to ceiling? What I'm wondering is, can you put the rear seats down with out the dog having access to rest of the cabin area? So far sounds like the OEM is the way to go. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.