Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You want to see noise, go drive an Outlander. That thing sounds like a chainsaw without the muffler next to the ultra-quiet Forester. At the very least wait for the more powerful engine coming this fall, the 140hp version can't get out of its own way.

Subaru says the H6 engine makes 212hp on premium, 208hp with 87 octane. So there you go, you lose 4hp. Thing is, most people don't notice that difference, unless it's a placebo effect.

I think with a turbo, due to the air being compressed more, you might lose 5-6hp. If 204hp is more than adequate, as long as it does not ping, and of course you are willing to take the risk...

My beef is not the $150, is my bad experience with a 626 V6. We used the recommended premium for the first few years, and the fuel injection got clogged up at about 57k miles. That had never happened to us with any other car! I had a Ford and went out of my way to use the cheapest gas possible and it never had fuel problems.

That was just plain frustrating. Use the expensive, premium name-brand stuff and have problems anyway.

-juice
  • Your fuel injector clogging experience while using premium fuel coincides with this remark in the USA Today article:

"High-test does have a potential fuel economy benefit. It is slightly denser than lower-octane gas, meaning there's a little more energy in a gallon. But the small difference is hard to measure in real-world use, and that same density can contribute to undesirable buildup of waste products inside the engine."

This statement was very surprising to me. Like many others, I thought "premium" fuel went through more stages of refinement and being further purified, was therefore a "cleaner" burning fuel. Apparently not.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I believe the whole "cleaner burning" premium is just a marketing spin. Octane simply measures the resitance to pre-detonation (knock) for gas. High compression engines (ie. turbos) benefit from being able to cram a lot more air and fuel into the combustion chamber before igniting it with a spark. The detergents in gas are required by law and don't really differ between regular and premium.

Ken
  • pinngpinng Posts: 10
    I'm not sure if someone has already posted this. Anyway, here it is:
    http://autos.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.aspx?make=Subaru&model=Fore- ster

Pin
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Thanks for the post Pin. That was a pretty good (although not glowing) review. The reviewer seemed to be fair in his criticism like when he dinged the gas mileage but then noted that the "popular Ford Escape V-6" has an almost identical EPA rating. Too bad he didn't also point out that the XT will blow the doors off said Escape :-)

-Frank P.
    Well, "undesirable buildup of waste products inside the engine" cost me a throttle body service. The engine was choking before, ran fine afterwards.

The XT will only have a peer when the Saturn Vue Redline arrives, even then it'll only match the automatic XT.

-juice
  • might match the xt at performance but miss on many saftey measurements....
  • What are the specs on the redline?
    250hp, it's the Honda 3.5l engine, tuned half way between the Pilot and the MDX. Not sure if it'll require premium fuel like the MDX, or regular like the Pilot.

C&D estimated performance at about 7 seconds to 60 for an automatic. The XT auto should beat that. The 5 speed creams it.

-juice
  • Friend of mine drives WV Jeta 1.8T, with premium required. After 2 years of feeding it premium, at 24 mths. service, he was told (by the service rep) that there is some misfire code in ECU and suggested to switch to regular gas. Driving that way since. Can't tell the difference except in the wallet.

K
    Well, if you chip a 1.8T, they say high octane becomes are requirement.

Pretty funny that they told him to switch down, though.

-juice
  • Kens - if you want cleaner burning, and for those who live in 'fuel line freezing' country just find yourself a 10% ethanol mixture... there's a good article @ < http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm >

My friend has a V6 Ford Escape with 100k, and he's never gotten 22mpg on a highway run. I borrowed it for a 1500 mile trip and averaged 20mpg. .. over the same route my XT got 26 and was driven 'somewhat' faster... ymmv!
  • Subkid.. After a week of estimates/scheduling finally had a HiddenHitch installed @ Hitch Warehouse... dealer's after market recommendation.
    They installed a Class-2.. 300/3500# as that's all they could hunt-up that fit. It looks good and still was just half the Subaru OEM price!!
    Cool, just keep in mind your capacity is still 200 lbs tongue weight.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Just picked up a case at the parts dept last night. Seems like its sized for the average lawnmower.

Instinct tells me you'd want something that would hold more oil both for cooling and for filtering.

Interestingly they recommend a full turn after the gasket makes contact - most are 2/3 to 3/4 max.

This thing is tiny. But the good news is, since they made them smaller, they cost lots more.

Larry
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    "But the good news is, since they made them smaller, they cost lots more."

Good one, Larry! :-)

Len
  • I have $45 worth of Subaru Bucks saved up on my credit card. When it hits $100 I plan on doing the same thing. How much did they charge for the case?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Is Purolator making the oil filter for Subaru again? If so, you might be able to get them for a little less at the auto parts store.

Ken
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Chat starts in 8.5 hours. I hope this isn't too much advance warning!

Steve, Host
  • I'm thinking about going to Redline Synthetics for my 5MT and differentials. Is it feasible? If so when is the best time for me to change? I'm still under 1000 miles.

Thanks for your input
This discussion has been closed.