Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Just make sure you whack'em on the survey!
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    Before I bought my XT in June, I asked my State Farm agent for a quote on what it would cost to insure a new '03 XS. They said $430 or thereabouts for six months. Then, when I got the first actual '04 XT bill, I was surprised to find that it hardly changed: $451. This led me to suspect that they didn't really know what an XT was, and were applying the rates from an XS. This, in turn, left me somewhat apprehensive about what the next renewal bill would show.

Well, it arrived today. No change...same $451. That's a relief, at least for another six months.

Anyone else receive an insurance renewal bill yet for an XT?
  • Shhh!!!! You'll blow it for everyone.

Actually, my insurance stayed pretty reasonable, as well. Hopefully this will be the norm. Let's hope insurance continues to accentuate the many "safety" features of our Subarus over the minimal performance improvements.

;-)
  • I thought I'd jump in real quick to advise that I'm a new F-XT convert. I traded my WT '98 Gen III SHO for a new AW (Aspen White) F-XT Premium Pkg. yesterday. In my 37 years of buying cars, this was the best buying experience I've ever had with a dealer. Also, the dealer was using / pointing to my SHO as a sales tool to prospective customers. My son traded my former Gen II SHO for his F-XT Silver AT, based on my recommendation, just before Thanksgiving...it's not worth changing my handle to Troop2FXTs - won't part with my '00 Trooper... :) My AWA (audible warning alarm - wife) nixed the 5-speed to limit my ever present urge to run auto-x's competitively again like in the old days & to be able to drive it if necessary. However, I have no performance complaints with the AT in the Forester - especially since its duty will be primarily for business use.

In a preliminary business rate comparison between my SHO & new F-XT, my agent said that I will only suffer an increase of around $64 / year... :)
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    Miami leads the country in the highest Auto Insurance rates in the Country, actually we are #2. When I bought the XT in August State Farm didn't know how to rate it yet, and my quote was based on the XS. After receiving my Quote from my Agent, the updated policy was about $80 more. I had my Agent work on it, and they honored the lower rate, however what goes down always goes up! Warning, stay away from Progressive!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Forester harvests AJAC award (CBC News)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Great link Steve. I especially like this quote regarding the Forester beating out several "bulkier" SUVs for Best New SUV of the Year Award:

"It obviously was put to the test against the bigger trucks, which makes me ask, why do we need truck-based SUVs when there are vehicles like the Forester XT to choose from?"

Just puts a smile on your face don't it?

-Frank P.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think NJ has the highest rates. Blame the mob? ;-)

-juice

PS Didn't mean no disrespect...
  • jimeejimee Posts: 9
    Hi, all, We just had our first snow here in Westchester Cty., NY and the Forester was unbelievable in the snow with the Nokian Hakka Qs I am running. Up a 200' windy hill in the middle of the storm with 4 people in the car with absolutely NO PROBLEM.

My only (fairly major) complaint was a LOT of shimmy after driving through some deep snow and then some slush. This only occurred once throughout the weekend, and cleared up once I cleaned out the inside of the rims. However, I am wondering:

1.) has anyone else has had this problem? This is my first experience with this type of shimmy in 20 years of snow driving. I am more than a bit disappointed that this is the case, given that much of Subaru's reputation revolves around its winter weather competency; I am trying to get over the feeling that it's a great car for winter unless you actually DRIVE it in the snow. Not many driving situations in the middle of a major winter storm lend themselves to cleaning out the inside of your tire rims on the side of the road!

2. Tirerack has told me that there are NO 16" steel rims that will fit the Forester XT b/c of the size of the brakes, but Don/joyride4a, you mentioned that you did get a set of 16" steel wheels and some Graspics from tirerack. Would you mind sharing the Manufacturer and make of the steel wheels? Are they "hubcappable"? - ie, will they offer me some protection from what I went through this weekend?

Any insight provided on this would be greatly appreciated...
    Jim S.
    Good news is it's a simple fix - wax your rims.

Seriously, clean them up and wax them. If they are slippery, slush won't stick to them.

This is not unique to Subaru, slush will stick to any dirty rim much more readily than a clean one. I had that problem with other cars I've owned.

-juice
    thanks for the recommendation, ateixeira. Any specific brand of wax you would recommend? Sorry for the multiple posts, I am enter key-challenged today... Jim
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    Had that problem on my 4Runner, too. You've just got some frozen muck stuck to a rim somewhere that is causing it to be out of balance. Bet it will mysteriously solve itself by the end of the day.
    FYI: Those double posts of yours occur when you use your browser's refresh button after posting.

-Frank P.
    Most wheels nowadays are painted, so whatever wax you like for your paint should work on your rims.

Plus, I just like clean looking rims. I bought a used set from Jim in Texas, from an early 90s Legacy, they are sprakling clean and no slush sticks to them.

Use a good wheel cleaner if you're starting with a mess. Bug and tar remover works too. Getting that brake dust off may be enough all by itself.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    I bought a set of 16" Forester steel wheels from an 03 Forester on eBay. They fit my 04 XT just fine. I also double checked with SOA regarding the interchange and they agreed it was fine.

It's worth looking at eBay periodically - the only problem is frequently people list rims from the WRX that are not interchangeable with the Forester's - wrong offset.

If you have a number of Subaru dealers in your area it might be worth while asking if they have any "slightly" used rims. That's how mine ended up on eBay - the dealer upgraded an 03 Forester to alloy's.

Also, re: waxing the insides of the rims - we just got 36" inches of snow - Arrrggghhh...... but anyway, the inside of my rims never picked up anything.

Sorry to say the biggest bone head I saw on the road was a boy racer in his WRX - now there's a lad looking for some rims - curbed it at high velocity. Must be a limitation of the AWD that you can't take a corner doing 40 in a blinding snow storm. :<)

HTH

Larry
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Don't know if this is WTLW, but over at the "other" forum, there's a post talking about how the 5-speed manual on the XT is actually the most robust one in N. America. In other words, it's different from the 5MT used in all other Subaru models. One member who is a tech at a Subaru dealership mentioned that the XT's tranny is closest in design to the STi 5-speed gearset.

Thought that was interesting -- and a sign of things to come!

Ken
  • I see that gleam in your eye, if we wait a year we might get a 275 or 300 hp XT?

John
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    300 HP XT? Please don't say that. I just bought mine and don't like the possibility of having to sell it already so that I could buy an STI XT. Just think what this thing could do with the STI drivetrain and the XT 444:1 final drive! Wait a couple of years at least!
    Larry, thanks for your help. Called local Subaru dealership who told me the steel wheels that come with the 2004 X model were $123 each, but that they would fit the XT. Ouch!

I am still curious what joyridea4 found on tire rack that would fit, as the good folks at tire rack are still telling me no steel rims for XT! Are they the steel rims @$49/each that they offer for the 2004 X and XS? Tire Rack says they are OE so they should work, right?? Anybody??
    I hate to argue with experts at TireRack about their own products, but in this case they're wrong. The steel wheel they sell for the 2003-2004 Forester X or XS models will fit the XT equally well, because there are no brake or hub differences that would affect clearances. People are getting around this by simply specifying that their XT is actually an X/XS when ordering these wheels from TireRack.

The steel wheel found in the spare tire compartment of every XT is identical to the steel spare wheel on every 2nd-gen naturally-aspirated Forester. They fit the latter, and of course they fit the former. Likewise, the OEM 5-spoke steel wheels that are standard on the base Forester X fit on an XT perfectly.

Now, if only I could find a good used set, I'd be buying snow tires right about now...
    Bob- Hmmm... you must have been asleep at the helm cause Steve beat you by a whole day with posting that link :-)

-Frank P.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of all Subaru models getting the enhanced gearset, but a 300HP XT sounds interesting too!

Ken
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    I think Bob was thinking he was posting that AJAC link over in the Infiniti FX35/45 vs VW Touareg vs Porsche Cayenne vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX discussion instead of in here.

Just kidding Bob! ;-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    If not for exhorbitant shipping costs from NJ to WA, you would have had that set of brand new 16" Forester X steelies from me. They had your name on them (I checked!). Alas, they have since found a new home.

Len
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Forget about the 5 speed. That's already beefy enough. Give us a decent clutch (yeah, I got the upgraded parts, but it took 3 replacements in 80K for Subaru to get it right!).

Finally "judder free" in NJ,

Len
    thanks for your help. I went with the new steel rims from tirerack @$49 each - how much cheaper could a good used set be? Will let you know how it works out...

I realize that I am being a bit picky with how the aluminum rims performed in the slush, but I plan to do hours of winter driving in the Tug Hill/Southwestern Adirondacks area of New York State where snow is a near-constant fact of life.

Getting on the ground regularly to wax up the rims on what is widely viewed as a great choice for a winter car just doesn't make me happy!
    I went with the new steel rims from tirerack @$49 each - how much cheaper could a good used set be?

I've seen steel takeoffs from the '03-'04 base Forester X go for $35 each / $140 per set, and that's about what I'd be willing to pay. The problem is that they never seem to be located in Portland, and (as Len noted) the cost to ship four steel wheels from elsewhere can be prohibitive. I haven't priced shipping from TireRack for wheels only, but they want $66 to ship 4 wheels with 4 mounted tires to Portland from Nevada.

Getting on the ground regularly to wax up the rims on what is widely viewed as a great choice for a winter car just doesn't make me happy!

That's understandable, but what would cause the snow buildup problem you mentioned to be any worse on a Forester than on any other vehicle driven in the same conditions? If there is a design flaw causing it that is unique to Subarus, I'm having a hard time figuring out what it would be.
    Jim- Hopefully a decent wax job will last you all winter and of course the ideal time to do it is when you take them off to rotate them (trying to do it while they're still on the vehicle really would be a pain).

-Frank P.
    If not for exhorbitant shipping costs from NJ to WA, you would have had that set of brand new 16" Forester X steelies from me. They had your name on them (I checked!). Alas, they have since found a new home.

Story of my life. Day late, dollar short.
This discussion has been closed.