Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• jraskejraske Posts: 133
    Iwould like to here from other people what they think of leather seats compared to cloth os far as comfort and durability are concerend.
  • pchengpcheng Posts: 165
    Leather definitely. I've had both and I prefer leather. It's more comfortable and easier to clean.

My wife likes cloth because it's not as cold in the winter and not as hot in the summer, but I've found that the comfort, once the temp balances out, is well worth it.
  • lvstanglvstang Posts: 150
    It matters where you live but pcheng's wife is right as far as Vegas is concerned. Leather is unbearable in the summer and too cold in the winter in my Cobra. Had cloth on F-150,much easier to ingress and egress with tank top (or less) and shorts on.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Leather is fine for a car,actually the best choice. For trucks?? No. Something about leather in a truck that makes me cringe......
  • vince4vince4 Posts: 1,272
    I've seen many cars with awful looking leather seats after a few years. They crack and sometimes split open. I suppose good care would reduce that but that means you have to actually do it, I suspect most people don't. Another consideration is scratching from dog toe nails, if that applies.

After living with leather furniture at home, I ordered the cloth seat in my new Silverado. The hot/cold comfort thing is real. Also leather is slippery and doesn't hold you in place well in a car.
  • Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. But the good part is you can slide around on the seat to get comfortable. Leather doesn't grab at your clothing the way cloth does.

Worst part about leather, is how little of it they are actually using on seats anymore. No tanning in USA due toxic waste.

The imitation leather they use for the rear seats of the Silverado/Sierra looks good. I can't tell the difference by looking at it. Would anyone buy it if they offered as a no cost alternative to cloth, or instead of the vinyl used on base models?
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    I just had some seats repaired for a truck I'm reworking. Good cloth material these days is going for 33 bucks a yard. I really suspect that the factories are saving money with the small amount of leather being used with the balance being vinyl material. The leather is paper thin, lightweight, and would be easy to stitch. Has to be a reason there's so much of it now. I had leather on my last new car, won't again. tom
  • pchengpcheng Posts: 165
    I used to have cloth seats in my old truck. I've found that the leather is easier to clean for most stuff. Unless you are completely muddy, which would stain cloth as much as leather, leather is much easier to keep clean.

All you have to do is wipe it up with a damp cloth. I have a Camry with cloth seats, and with two kids, I can already see spots in the back seats from feet and spilled juice. The leather in my truck (car seats in the truck too) looks as good as new.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    Best all around.

Easy to clean. Very rarely splits.

Fastest to heat up and cool down....regardless of what anyone says.

Looks way better than cloth.

you Do NOT slip around.

Very durable.

Combine heated seats with leather....

Ohhhh yeahhhhhh.

- Tim
    Leather is fastest to heat up and cool down? Faster than what, stone? Cloth doesn't need to heat up or cool down, it's already neutral when you get in.
  • Leather was a "must have" for me. I saw a Dodge Ram with camel tan interior, rosewood applique, 24V diesel, 5 spd, hot!

Leather isn't an option for a Silverado regular cab, although you can have aftermarket leather covers installed by Sew Fine for a reasonable price.

But one by one, I started paring my wish list down, and diesel power and leather did not make the cut. Because of the money I saved, I'm very happy.

As it is, I can't stand a stain or smudge, so I have designer bed sheets as temporary, washable slip covers until I find some that fit the Chevy seats with integral seat belts. With leather, I'd be even more anal, so what's the point?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I'm flashing back to my Vinyl days.

Cloth does too get cold.

Not hot so much.

Here we are...spewing about another personal preference catagory.

Who started this?
  • ww00650ww00650 Posts: 48
    Leather always smells like new. So you always have a new smelling truck, as long as its clean, and no one farts.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Leather is for cars. Personal opinion.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    My Silverado LT came with leather standard - Also has the heated seats - I had the chance to try the heater yesterday worked great, took less time than I thought to heat up. The other benefit to the heater - I like to have the a/c on high and my wife gets cold. Now I just tell her to turn on the heater in her seat.
  • I purchased a 99 Toyota Solara and within two weeks I had what looked like two small wear marks on the drivers side bolster. It appears just the friction of my body rubbing against the seat caused the wear.I had the seat replaced under warranty and again within two weeks the new seat started to show the same type of wear. The leather is very thin. I've taken the car to several detail shops and spoken to the local dealer who agrees that it appears there is nothing that I'm doing to cause the wear that's out of ordinary.Toyota has told me its my problem and refuses to repair or replace the seat. Anyone with this type of problem or someone with answers?
    In my observation, Japanese cars use bad leather. I see cars that aren't that old with leather cracked open. I think Acura is the worst. A friend at work has a Maxima and the areas of the seats that the sun hit a lot are hard as a rock.

Probably the best you can do is put leather treatment on them regularly.
  • I've had leather in 5 cars, 95 BMW M3, 96 Cobra, 97 BMW 528, 98 Lexus GS300 and my 99 Silverado. I like the Lexus the best, the Cobra was second, 3rd for the BMW528, 4th Silverado and the BMW M3 is last. The Lexus is so soft (held you more in the seat than any leather i've encountered) and easy to clean it's incredible. The Cobra's cleaned easy and lasted ok, but was to "slick". The BMW528 had more of a textured finish and was a pain in the .... to clean. The M3 was worn to the point where it had to be restained (for a lack of a better word). The Silverado is not bad, I just don't like the fact that the leather is only "in the middle" of the seat and the rest is "corinthian leather" - as my wife likes to put it. Best cleaner and conditioner I have ever used is the Lexus brand.
  • Leather: The good:
    Smells great.
    Looks great.
    Feels great.
    You can slide around on the seat to get comfortable without it grabbing, pulling, tugging on your clothes.

Leather: The bad:
    They don't use much of it.
    Hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

For me, leather went from a "must have," to a "I have to sit on top of seat covers anyway, I will never see it or miss it."
  • I have a 97 ford truck with leather seats.it has cracks in it. The truck is just 3 yrs old. i have taken care of the seats and put treatment on the seats regularly. The truck is out of its warrenty and the dealer said to bad you should have not got the leather seats as they don`t last near as long as the cloth seats do. I thought leather material for seats would be at least as durable as other material. Its not! don`t spend the high price its not worth it. PS The extended warrenty will not cover it either.