Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
Wow! People who have dreamed of owning a Hummer will finally be able to buy one. I have suspicions this will be built on the TrailBlazer, Envoy, Bravada, Ascender, and Rainier platform but who knows. Anyone else know anything about this vehicle?

Comments

• h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Officially GM still hasn't given the green light on it yet. Unofficially it will be based on and built next to the colorado at the Shreveport Louisiana plant with a target price of 30-35k.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Edmunds confirmed this.
    Same idea, same price range. hmmm, finally the Discovery has some REAL competition.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    this link has a nice Picture of the H3 for an artist rendition. see what you think.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2001/2/GMs- _Future_Four/print.phtml

Odie
    "H3 ''is not an approved product program,'' and there's no deadline for a decision, says Hummer spokeswoman Heather Hall."

"Mike DiGiovanni, the head of GM's Hummer division, told Reuters in an interview that the H3 has not yet been fully approved. "If all things remain equal, we don't have some negative economic downturn, I think John's comments are accurate; it will fall shortly after the SUT (H2 sport utility truck). It's proceeding very well."

John's comment:
    "GM CFO and Vice Chairman John Devine confirmed during a Prudential Securities conference in New York that GM will build the Hummer H3"

The PM sketch is the first sketch and IMO the ugliest, but it looks like the removable fender flares will make it to production.

More sketches at www.hummer3.net/index2.html

I REALLY like MTs sketches, hopefully the production H3 will be very similiar to them.
    Thanks for the pic. I don't care for it much; i don't cladding or the fact they only show the low production SUT version.
    if you look at the spyshot that was posted, it does kinda look like it has a p/u truck cap on the back to hide the fact that it might be a cross-over SUT like the Avalanche and Escalade. So in fact the Sketch from PM might be closer than we really think.

here's the link;
    http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/hummer/h3/100301493/preview.ht- ml

but that's only my opinion.

Odie
    But I am VERY surprised this isn't the most active conversation on Edmunds. I would think people would be excited that they can finally afford a Hummer and one that seems to be good at that.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We have them right here!

You can see more along with enlarged versions here.

tidester, host
    caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=6951
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Tidester,

Of course you do! But you guys are missing a few, so I'm just spreading the love...
    Thanks for the new pic, h1vc!!! That's the best one I've seen yet. I can't wait to see what this will actually look like!
    From automobile mag, not online yet. I hope the bigger message is good news for the H1!

GM expects to show a concept version of the H3 (the most likely name for the next Hummer model) at November's SEMA show. Company officials describe the concept as a near-production prototype. According to suppliers, the H3 will be based on the new mid-size-truck platform underpinning the new 2004 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks.

GM suppliers say the new mid-size SUV will come out in fall 2004 as a 2005 model. The initial version of the H3 will be a four-door SUV, although an H3 SUT is also rumored. Spy pics of early H3 prototypes show short overhangs, a tailgate-mounted spare, and of course, that imposing, seven-slot grille that so irks Jeep product planners and litigators.

The H3 will likely cost $30-$35k. "The price ladder at Hummer will go down," confirms a senior GM official, who adds that whatever product follows the H3 could be even less expensive. Such a vehicle could be called the H4 and be similar in size and mission to the Wrangler.

That same GM official says that the SEMA show will witness a "bigger message" than just a concept idea for the H3. The news has nothing to do with the H4, but with the future of the H1 and the H2.
    I'm sure that "new message" will be the updated/mild redesign of the H1. I'm willing to bet that this drawing of the red Hummer that's been circulating and is at http://www.hummer3.net/concept2.jpg is the next generation H1, and not at all the H3.

I can't wait until November to see what's in store for the H3!

Also, GM insiders have said that the next Hummer after the H3, will not be called the H4, but rather the HX. The HX will be a 2-door variant to finally give GM something to compete with the Wrangler. Personally, I think the Blazer ZR-2 was/is a great alternative to the Wrangler, but they have 2 different style appeals. I'm sure the HX will appeal more to the Jeep Wrangler crowd.
    Have you seen the latest Truck Trend?! Not only do they have the spy pics that we've all seen, but 2 artists' renderings of what he has interpreted from the spy shots, and styling cues from the H2! He left out a few little things that are on the concept test mules, like the inset gas intake, and the "stoplight-style" tail lights, but if the H3 looks remotely like these drawings, I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE TO ORDER ONE!!!
    I sent two emails to Hummer, one through http://www.Hummer.com, and the other through http://www.PlanetFeedback.com, offering suggestions for what I'd like to see with the new H3.

Here's the reply from Hummer, through PlanetFeedback.com:

"Enthusiasm is the word! Since 1999, General Motors and AM General have teamed up to bring a new breed of SUV to the automobile market, making the statement that HUMMER is like nothing else. The HUMMER H3 is currently a concept vehicle and will not be produced at this time. The H3 is currently in the developmental stages and information is not available. We are aware that there are published reports to the contrary, but General Motors has not officially released any information on H3.

Please continue to keep in contact with your local HUMMER dealership for updates, as they become available."

And here's the one directly from Hummer:

"Thank you for contacting HUMMER and your interest in the concept H3 model! HUMMER is excited about the future of the brand. Since 1999, General Motors and AM General have teamed up to bring a new breed of SUV to the automobile market, making the statement that HUMMER is like nothing else.

If the HUMMER H2 proves to be successful, General Motors will make the decision in the next few months on building the H3. At this time, the HUMMER H3 is only a concept vehicle, and has not been approved for production. Therefore, there is no information available. Many automobile magazines and publications have professed to have "Spy Shots" of the concept H3. Please note that these photos are not official, and do not represent any final product, as there is no final product at this time. Please keep in contact with us or your local HUMMER dealership for updates, as they become available.

We appreciate your input regarding this concept vehicle and thank you for contacting HUMMER!

Andy Domenico
    Customer Relationship Manager
    HUMMER Marketing Support"

Two slightly different reports, but we all know the H3 is coming out in the fall of 2004! Can't wait...
    What does the renderings look like, anything like this?

auto.t-online.de/static_html/Specials/autos/hummer/H3/images/b_01- .jpg
    H1vc, your link has 2 extra characters in it and doesn't work unless you take the - and space before the .jpeg out.

That picture you're referring to, though, is a PhotoShopped pic of the H2, to give us an idea of what the H3 might look like. While that guy did a good job morphing that photo of the H2 into an H3, I think the drawings in Truck Trend look closer to what the H3 will probably look like. He did a better job of taking design elements from the covered-up test mules and blending them with styling cues from the H2.

I have my own version of that H2 into H3 picture here:
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbcreative67/lst?.dir=/Automotiv- e&.src=ph&.view=
    Oops, I didn't check the link after posting and edmunds for some reason put them in there.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... edmunds for some reason put them in there.

I don't think so.

In any case, here's the link.

tidester, host
    I think if you leave the http on there it will work, but won't when left out, like my link.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The back half looks something like the VUE...at least from that photo.
    I really wanted to know more about the future of the Hummer and this "message", so I emailed the the Hummer communications person listed on media.gm.com. I asked her about the "message" and H3 info, this is her response. Very interesting, someone is lying.

"H1 sales are actually up almost 20% since the launch of the H2 and there are no plans to walk away from the product. The announcement at SEMA will be focused on how GM is continuing to invest in the H1 not discontinue it. The H3 and H4 stuff is a bunch of rumored nonsense, you won't see anything about the H3 or H4, H5 H6...etc at SEMA Wendy."
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    SEMA is a trade association of aftermarket auto suppliers, and they have a site that's usually interesting. I got some good pics of high performance minivans off there a couple of years ago.

Their site is www.sema.org.

Steve, Host
    Have you seen this, yet?!

http://www.hummer3.net/index.html

I wish they'd give us the whole picture...
    That sketch has been out for awhile now, I know, I sent them to him, don't know why he only put up part of one sketch though. They're from Consumer Review Car Preview magazine, there are 2 sketches total, don't think I have the scans anymore.
    just read your profile, I see that you work for CBS news in phoenix, do you know what happened to the Hummer owner that ran over the guys that robbed him?
    That's a good question! I'm not sure, but we should do a follow up on him.

I thought I recognized that art. That guy has a very distinctive style; slightly amateurish and "cartoonie," but still helpful when trying to give an idea of a new model coming out. Are you sure you don't have that scan any more? Do you know of any place it exists on the web? I'd just like to take a better look at it. The guy who runs the Hummer.net sites didn't even give me a source. I was hoping he'd maybe send me a jpeg of it...
    Please do!
    I didn't know you were on line right now too. Did you see that I edited my last post and added questions about the sketch? Just making sure...
    Yes, that's the one. I was just generalizing, because the site for the H3 is Hummer3.net.

I'd rather not post my email address here, but if you go to my website http://www.tbcreative.com and go to "Contact," there's a link to my email there.

Thanks! I hope you find it... By the way, is that magazine on the racks still?
    I think so, saw it last saturday in a mall bookstore. Haven't been to a store since.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Why in the world would people want to buy it knowing full well that the only off-roading that they'll do is at the soccer field and also knowing that you'll be spending waaay toooo much on gasoline? The only benifit over a $23,000 TrailBlazer LS is the Hummer styling. Who'd pay $10K for that?! I know I wouldn't. I consider the Chevrolet Tahoe a bargain next to the Hummer H2.
    The main reason I would buy an H3 over a Trailblazer is because of it's off-road ability. I'm one of the 10 to 20% who actually takes their truck on rugged terrain to see the sites of Arizona. But I also need a comfortable daily driver. And, most of my commute is on the highway, so my '98 Jimmy 4x4 gets about 22 MPG, which is better than most, making it slightly more economical than a majority of 4-Wheel-Drive SUVs.

The Trailblazer's ground clearance SUCKS, so, as much as I liked it when it first came out, I've ruled it out. It's too expensive to lift the thing with the front drive shaft running through the oil pan. Also, your dollar figure is way off. Any Trailblazer that would be equipped the way the H3 will, would be an LTZ 4x4, with a sticker of about $33,000. So that argument doesn't make sense. It really comes down to style and utility.

As far as fuel economy, the H3 is built on the GMT 355 platform, shared with the Canyon/Colorado, and will probably house either the new in-line 5 or 6 under the hood. So, depending on the weight, the mileage should be close to what the Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada/Rainier get. It may also have the new cylinder shut-down system, aiding in better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

To each their own...
    didn't the Gov. just pass a law stating that ALL SUV's have to now make a certain MPG for City/HWY?

Odie
    Truckin' Magazine has a new spy shot of the H3. It's the same cloaked version of what we've seen, but this picture is great. You can really see a lot more detail, even if it is covered in black. I LOVE the ride height!
    Off-Road Magazine has the same pic that the new Truckin' has, plus 2 new ones. One is a close-up of the rear, and the other is a PhotoShopped version of what Brenda Priddy & Co. think it may look like. I think their prototype is a bit off, especially with the front bumper, and Trailblazer headlights and side mirrors.

I'll scan the pics in as soon as I can, and post them.
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    What is the time frame for the H3 to go on sale? I love the looks of the H2 but too $$.
    Off topic for a second, any news on a diesel in either the H2 or H3?
  • kram18kram18 Member Posts: 45
    I read something about the H2's current engine compartment being too small to fit the duramax diesel in, but that when they redesign the H2, (2005?) they will enlarge it to make room for it...
    The schedule I've heard is that the concept will be shown at the auto shows this Winter, and the production version will arrive at dealerships next Fall.

There's also a rumor that it may debut at the SEMA Show next month, but I doubt it. The same rumor stated that there might be something else "big" coming from Hummer. One can only surmise that they might either have a pre-release of the H2 SUT, or introduce a re-designed H1, from what the GM spokes person alluded to.

There's a sketch of a re-designed red H1 that Mark Stehrenberger drew, that appeared in Motor Trend & Truck Trend, which is also on the http://www.Hummer3.net website as a design possibility for the H3. Here's that link: http://www.Hummer3.net/press/pix.html

There's no way that's a sketch of the H3, because it looks like an H1 with H2 cues. Motor Trend never said it was an H3 design, and Stehrenberger had a couple of sketches of the H3 in Truck Trend a few months ago, that follow the shape of the vehicle in the spy shots we've seen.

So, it's possible there might be a re-design of the H1, but I doubt whether Hummer will have 3 new products coming out so close together. They may have a concept of the H1, though, that they'll introduce. Who knows...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    H2 SUT at SEMA

Steve, Host
    This may be a bit rough around the edges, but here's my work in progress of what I hope is close to what the H3 will look like:

http://64.83.76.92/hummer/attachments/TBCreativeH3pt%2Ejpg

Enjoy!
    Where'd you get those pics?! Please keep us posted!!!
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Pics of the pickup-ified H3 concept for NAIAS are in this month's Car and Driver. I would post a scanned pic, but those danged copyright laws ruin everyone's fun. The hood slopes down just like the H2.

Preliminary reports claim the production H3 will have a turbo Colorado I5 (think Bel-Air).
    You're going to make us wait until we can get to a magazine rack? We all post scanned magazine pics all of the time, and no one has been sued or even given a stern warning. The only time I've seen someone get "strong-armed," was when spy shots of the 2003 4Runner were posted on the internet before it had been introduced, and Toyota asked the originator to take them down.

Thanks for passing along the info, and I hope you reconsider!
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p3fa11eeeeb82e27c840a- - 95e3d351faa0/fa6ef252.jpg

See, was that so hard?

2005?! I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!! I hope that info is incorrect, and previous reports of a fall of 2004 release are actually right.

This looks AWESOME! If the SUV version looks this great, it WILL be my next truck. Why do we have to be tortured so...