Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,727
    > I have to have warranty work done at the dealer where I bought the car? can I take it to any dealer?

You can take it to any dealer. These days most dealers are hungry for work to do, even the lower pay work they do for warranty. It's better than idle mechanics or laying them off.

>dealership because water was leaking from under the dashboard onto the passenger floorboard whenever I ran the A/C....later they figured out the problem (the heater core) and fixed it.

Heater core leaking coolant would have had the smell of engine coolant, sort of sweet. Did that water have that smell or was it water from the AC core that collects water from the air and drips that--which is supposed to go out a drain tube below the car? That water has no smell (unless wet carpet and pads have gotten musty).

>Fan running
    I notice the coolant fan on my Cobalt starts running on startup sitting in the garage and turns off after a time, even though the motor is cold. I'd ask the other dealership if what you're seeing is normal. If short trips are overheating the car in 40-50 degree weather, there may be something else not right in the coolant, heater setup.

>slow heating
    The only check here for me is under the hood after the car has run from a cold start for 3-4 minutes and that's to turn off motor and reach hand to touch hoses going to heater through the firewall. I'd have to locate them in advance and wear heavy long-sleeved shirt to avoid burns from hot motor. Both hoses should be warm after 2-3 minutes.My Cobalt is exremely quick to warm up compared to leSabres I own and past cars.

I'd make a list of concerns based on symtoms and visit another dealership service guy, under warranty, and tell them your concerns. Make copies of the service records you were given on each visit and hand them to the service manager. They should also be able to see them by computer if GM is set up the way I think they are by checking your VIN in the computer.

This message has been approved.

• I purchased a 2005 Cobalt in July '09 with 48,000 miles for my son to drive to High School, this being his senior year. The car has an air leakage problem at the rear seat side window seal on the passenger side. As soon as the car reaches 40 mph, you can hear the wind rushing in and gets much louder as the speed increases. We both test drove the vehicle with the windows down in the summer, so the problem went unnoticed. I had the vehicle back to the dealer last week, but they DID NOT or COULD NOT fix the problem. I would just like to fix the problem myself before winter gets here in central NY.If anyone has had this problem or knows how to correct it, please let me know how to do it and what I will need and where to get it. Thank you.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I had the same problem on my 07 Cobalt. I had the dealership replace the rubber gasket around the door. It worked for a while, but I think the problem is back again. The factory warranty already ran out, so I do not think it will be repaired again, because I am not footing the bill. :)
  • I took it to an upholstery place and GM paid for it. Not a really good advertisement for an 09 with 8,000 miles on it. Guess I'm through with economy cars by GM after driving this one a couple more years. For a few bucks more you can get a base Malibu or something else.
  • The Chevy dealer has a stethoscope that can tell exactly where the leakage is coming from. I'd have him mark the spot and use some liquid rubber to seal the spot.if the dealer won't do it.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    edited February 2010
    Buried in the specs for the 2010 Cobalt is a statement that the battery is located in the trunk.

Is this true for all models? Where is it located in the trunk? Is it covered so as not to come in contact with luggage, etc. stored in the trunk? For what reason is it located there? Aren't there some safety concerns for having it there?

i have found no photos on the Internet that would answer any of my questions.
  • Yes, the battery is in the trunk in my '08. And it is covered as not not come in contact with items in the trunk.
    The battery is in the middle of the rear of the trunk. And they left it uncovered and put the wrench for the tire changing right on top of it to be sure to short out. :blush:

No, actually it's covered. I'd have to go look at mine to determine what is around it. I suspect it's a lot less likely to suffer damage than a battery under the hood sitting where most accidents will mangle the metal around the battery under the hood. I can't count the number of accident I've seen with the firemen having to rip into the hood to get at the battery because it's shorted out and there's smoke coming from that area.

A battery under the rear seat also is a safe location.

• Thanks for rapid replies.

Years ago a friend owned a Chrysler made car that had the battery located under the driver's seat. One day we pulled into an unpaved parking lot next to a swimming pool where we were headed. Suddenly there came smoke from under the driver's seat. There was a short where the battery cable had failed. With no extinguisher at hand we ended up sloshing mud from the parking lot onto the short to put out the fire.

Hence my being sensitive to the location of the battery in a car I am thinking of buying !
    edited February 2010
    My real concern is that a battery in the trunk requires that a heavy live battery cable must then pass all the way forward to the engine. I would think that makes more likely the chance of shorts and fires because of battery cable failure or as a result of crashing.
    Bought new 2010 Cobalt last week to replace my 1996 Cavalier.

Do the hood and trunk struts not "pop up" the hood and trunk lids? Mine only hold the lids up once they have been manually raised.

Is the 1 1/2 inch diameter plastic disk right above my head the inside temperature sensor?
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    Don't know about the disk but your lids are working properly
    That disk is your OnStar microphone: big brother is listening? ;)

• petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    lately the factory alarm on my 09 cobalt has been going off for no reason..usually 10 min to 30 min after the doors are locked and alarm armed with the remote key..the security light is flashing normally and the only way to prevent the alarm from going off to to manually lock the doors, thus not arming the alarm..anyone experience this? thanks
    Does anyone have any idea as to why GM went to 4-lug wheels on the Cobalt?

Every car I've owned (starting in 1951) has had 5-lug wheels.

And very few cars today have 4-lug wheels.
  • Guess What!

I have a 2010 LT and it has a trunk leak too. Not to mention that I noticed many of the seals around the door windows are not installed properly. I imagine that this car is going to leak like a sive when it downpours for the first time since owning it today.

My dealer will have a lot to answer to and work on.
  • My mother loves her Cobalt! She gets the biggest kick out of showing it off.

Off topic: She's in the St. Louis-area got bought it from Johnny Londoff Chevrolet. She can't recommend them enough.
  • located next to the positive terminal of the remote battery connections (under the hood) ?
    It's a large group of fuses and relays. The cover comes off by pressing in on clips on the left and right sides. It's a tight fit to pull it up. Once it's off, the identity of each fuse and relay is imprinted on the underside of the cover you just lifted!

It's probably shown also in the owners manual in the glovebox.

• Thanks imidazo. The box location is shown on page 6-14 and the fuses inside are identified on page 6-127. I didn't expect to find that info so far towards the back of the manual !