Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• ndsax707ndsax707 Posts: 30
    These tests were very enlightening, but I have one major problem with them. The vehicle being tested is standing still, while the "SUV" is moving perpendicular to it at 31 mph. Most of these types of crashes do not occur when one vehicle is standing still, but when both are moving, and thus the test does not accurately depict real world situations. The forces involved when both vehicles are moving are much different than with one vehicle at rest. I think for this type of a test to properly simulate a real crash that both vehicles need to be moving. The "SUV" moving at 31 mph and hitting the test car moving at 15 mph would be a much more accurate way to test. There's my two cents.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Nothing is perfect in testing but given the Cobalt has top rated front and is 1 of 2 cars to get an acceptable side impact rating, one has to figure the Cobalt is the safest small car you can buy now and that's nothing to complain about.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I happen to know that the IIHS went through a lot of developmental work to come up with the final side-impact testing procedure. Their facility is capable of running the type of test you mention -- both cars moving, at different speeds. The results in moving side-struck cars were essentially similar to those that occurred when the cars were stationary, and it's a lot easier to make sure the struck car is in the right place when it's not moving -- hence the rationale for the struck car being stationary.

This actually squares with my experience in inspecting actual crashed vehicles and the resulting injuries. It was almost impossible to tell if the side-struck vehicle was moving at the moment of impact by looking at the car alone. It was the police report and the victims' interviews that told us what had happened.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    the USA today test drive isn't such a lovefest.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-03-10-cobalt_x.htm

CR will have a test drive of the cobalt next month. from the profile from the current issue the cobalt doesn't look to be too stellar.

still it will probably be one of the few small cars to be recommended because most don't do well in the crash tests.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    "Despite the gripes, Cobalt is an inviting car, assuming you and yours fit. It is satisfying to drive, and the good IIHS safety rating provides peace of mind. You don't feel sentenced to Cobalt for lack of cash to buy something better, but rather that you chose it on purpose.

Much is new, so you might not want to be the first on your block to get one. But based on how it looks and drives, Cobalt is a neat piece of work."

CR LOVES good crash tests. I'm sure it goes a long way for Chevy's chances with getting Cobalt recommended!
    In the April issue in their lists of all cars rated, it does not have the Cobalt as recommended.

And even with the good crash test scores, it won't get a recommendation until it's been on the market a year to get some idea of reliability.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Your title: "Its already not recommended" may mislead some. The "Not Recommended" may be seen as being cars to avoid. Although Cobalt is not on the recommended list, it is not listed as "Not Recommended."

Sorry to post this, but some may have been misled..
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    Anyone know if the lockout prevention system works with a manual transmission?

Cobalt LS Sedan with 1SB, SAB, MP3, Speakers on order and the dealer wasn't very clear about this? None on the lot to test on.
    Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. Consumer Reports has not checkmarked the Cobalt as a recommended car, and they won't until a year's worth of at least average reliability is accumulated. Otherwise, I think it scored well enough in their testing.

By the way, I just received the latest issue of Car and Driver and they like the Cobalt overall. They tested an LS 4-door with auto tranny.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    I see that the Owner's Manual says there is an "oil-life monitor" that indicates when an oil change is needed, based on how you drive, not merely on miles driven. I would sure like to know how that is done.
  • you should but one. I just got a cobalt lt sedan and it is amazing. the handling is amazing. I am very happy with the chevy cobalt.
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    Congrats on your purchase. Can you give some more details? Looking for total MSRP, options, sell price, dealer fee, trade-in, rebates, etc.

Just curious!

Damon
  • it's fully loaded. xm satellite radio, onstar, sport package, leather interior, spoiler. you name it it's got it. it cost $21,450. monthly payments of $240.
  • cboy_24cboy_24 Posts: 6
    Just bought a Cobalt LS with Auto Tranny, Side Air Curtains, 1SA package. MSRP $18,170, purchased for $14K after discounts, rebates, etc.
    Once sales tax and fees are added on -final price was about $15.6K
    Unfortunately I have a family of 4 not and need larger cars. My interest in the cobalt is more of a "see what replaced the Cavalier" since I had 2 of them in the past. That said, I didn't recommend the Cavalier to anyone after about 2000 as the car was just too dated. We leased our 2nd one and it was perfectly reliable, just very unrefined and old. From what I have read, I will recommend Cobalt to everyone, it's nice that GM has an extremely competitive small car, wasn't sure I would ever say that.
  • The ION has plastic doors and a relatively sparse "safety cage" under them, so I'm not surprised it did worse in side impacts than the Cobalt did.

CR wasn't all that thrilled with the Cobalt but didn't pan it like it did the ION.

As for the SS, sounds like it's an improvement over the ION red line, but why, oh why do these "sport cars" have those stupid huge wings on the trunks? Do those wings have any use whatsoever outside of cranking the car at maximum speed on a race track?
  • you could get a cobalt lt sedan and it would fit your family. I just got one and it is great.
    "Wings" are optional. Order it with out.

The SS I saw had one though. Some people love them.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Local dealer has 7yr/100,000 mile warranty stickers plastered on the Cobalt front windows. Is this new?
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Must be an extended warranty. 5/50k is the GM warranty.
    Maybe that is in lieu of them knocking off a $1,ooo or so?

Loren