Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    All Cobalt production is at the Lordstown plant in Ohio. I believe that all production will stay in the U.S. The plant in Mexico that previously produced some Sunfires/Cavaliers is now building the HHR.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I disagree with you about the Aveo being a waste of money. If someone was to buy a bare bones Aveo and keep it at least 5-7 years, it would pay for itself, and the resale value would not be much of an issue.

I also disagree about the refinement comment. The Aveo is very refined, accept for its motor which from what I understand has only received a recent fuel injection upgrade. 103 hp is plenty for this size car. They are as quick, or quicker than its competition, and fairly economical with a close to 30 mpg over-all average. In the Aveo forums there are people getting between 35-40 mpg on the highway.

Motorweek road test picked the Aveo over the Toyota Echo, the Focus, and the KIA.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    We aren't here to discuss the Aveo, but I bet after 5-7 years there will be MANY Cobalts still on the road. I am not at all willing to say the same for the Aveo. I also bet GM will still be selling parts, service and probably new Cobalts. The same cannot be said with reasonable assurance about the Aveo.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Posts: 677
    The Chevy Malibu (new design, not the classic) has throttle-by-wire now. So far, so good.

And unless you __really__ enjoy new model teething problems, you might want give the Cobalt a year to sort itself out. By then you will have more engine and option choices.
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    As with any new model there are going to be problems. At least Chevy had a chance to study problems with the Ion, related to the chassis,steering and suspension. Also the engine/transmission combos are not new.Hopefully it won't take long to sort out problems.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Cobalt - 22,76

Pretty good.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I'd like to correct my posting. The website I initially looked at indicated a weight for the Cobalt of about 3200 pounds. This website must have been in error; since then other websites have been showing 2800 pounds, slightly heavier than some other cars this size (like the Neon and Cavalier) but certainly not in Malibu territory.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Great post based on an enviable record of experience! Makes me want to try a Cobalt again. Impressive side impact test results....
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    are way up - 22,700+ units sold. Sales must be reflecting the excellent side impact ratings. I think buyers are realizing this vehicle is a real contender in its class.

Chevrolet car sales as a whole are up 7.6% for 2005 year to date (January thru April).
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    The Cobalt could be a top compact seller if things keep going like this. :)
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    With all of the negative press about GM, they could really use a "home run". It looks like the Cobalt is just.
  • jscevjscev Posts: 36
    The Coblalt SS still isnt out yet? I have yet to see one if they have are. Although i am in the middle of nowhere going to college in VT. Almost done though, one week. anyways. i think it is rediculous that its not out yet. i remember seeing commercials saying the ss was goin to be re;eased for production late fall of 04. i am looking forward to the ss but it is just takin way to long.
    SS Supercharged is out. Not very many though. My local dealer in the Detroit area just got their first one.

The SS sedan and coupe with the 2.4 Ecotec come out this summer.
  • gkxpgkxp Posts: 12
    Hello Ron, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!

1)The steering on the Cobalt is tighter than the steering was in my Cavalier and it does seem to get tighter on the highway. One other thing I noticed with the steering is that when turning the wheels at very slow speed (backing out of a parking space, parallel parking, etc.) unlike most other cars, you really don't hear anything from the power steering (no whining, sounds). The handling is very good on the Cobalt, but to counter that the ride is not harsh. It kind of reminds me of a perfect blend of the previous Honda Civic's handling (with no go-kart like rough ride though) and a Toyota Corolla's current smooth ride. You will have no trouble in emergency handling, there is no floatiness in the handling of the Cobalt, the handling is tight.

2)The room inside the Cobalt is amazing! It honestly feels to me as though this car should be in the mid-size class (I also think this car may bite a bit into the new Malibu sales as it is nearly as roomy in the front although the Malibu has more room in the rear seats). There is just the right amount of extra space all around me and I am 6'1" and 275Lbs. so I am used to being a little cramped in the compact class, but not with this Cobalt. Room is definitely one of its best features.

3)I am convinced that GM makes one of the best automatic transmissions not only in terms of shift quality (shifts are barely perceivable) but in terms of getting the maximum power out of an engine with an AT and this car is fast. I wouldn't drive my own Cobalt like this, but let's just say that the rental left several rubber burns at stoplights!). This car is fully capable of burnouts.

Another thing about that (tough driving) is after many redline runs in the Cobalt I rented, when I would come to a stop the car was as refined as though I had just driven it like a Grandma (the RPM Needle was steady and the engine was smooth). Very reminiscent to me of the engine/engineering quality of my friend's Acura Integra GSR and some of the full-throttle driving (racing) we did with his VTEC Engine!

I call my new Cobalt my "Mini-Max", because that is exactly what it feels like to me, a smaller version of my wife's Nissan Maxima SE. Well-Engineered, Elegant, Fast and Luxurious.

Greg.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Next year there will be a new Aveo, which looks like a mini version of the Cobalt.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Ya, I thought that new Aveo looked very Cobaltish. I think it mostly has to do with the front look of the car.
    The HHR with the new 2.4 is priced under $19k. Maybe the SS Cobalt will be priced similar.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Where are you guys finding pics of this car?? If you can't provide a link due to other forums, at least tell me what to google and look for. I'm kind of curious how the new one looks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No, not a good idea.

The deal is you can't send people to other message boards - posting what to google for in order to find another message board is, well, sending people, well you get the idea.

Maybe these pics are somewhere other than another message board?

If not, you're on your own.