Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

It will be made in china, and may be sold in the USA, if its true this car is real hope for GM. It should be stiff competition for the corolla and it weakens the UAW.

I just wish those workers would see whats really hapenning here... they could all loose their jobs and it NOT GM's FAULT :mad:

We will see. Hey this seems odd, will this car take interest away from the Cobalt?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks exalteddragon1.

Reminder to all: You may not post links directly into other automotive message forums. See the Rules of the Road at the top of the page and/or the Membership Agreement on the left for the details.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Still think GM needs new cars. American style and class, Body by Fisher. Cobalt/Aveo will increase the numbers of cars sold. Big deal. Another Japan and Korean econo car. In that class, the Civic is the one to buy. And a new Civic is on the way. Chevy and GM need something different to put to market. Head to head with Japan and Korea - I don't think so!
    BTW, the door armrests on the Cobalt will show wear and dirt quickly, IMHO.
    loren
  • If you think GM cannot go head to head with Japan and Korea then i want some of what your smoking :P
  • ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    Yesterday I stopped in at a local Chevy dealer and checked out a Cobalt sedan. Personally, I think that GM did a much, much better job with the vehicle than I would have expected. The doors shut with an extremely solid feel for a compact sedan. However, I immediately thought the same thing as you regarding the door armrests getting worn and soiled fairly quickly. My 1990 Nissan 300ZX has fabric-covered door armrests and center console lid. These are about the only interior components in the vehicle that look discolored or soiled after 15 years. They're not all that bad though, because I have cleaned them regularly with Armor-All Cleaner
    and Blue Magic Carpet Cleaner over the years. By the way, Blue Magic is an excellent product. Especially for automobile carpet cleaning purposes.

The Cobalt has some nice touches for a vehicle in its market segment. In fact, many aspects of the car are very well thought out. Another minor gripe about the interior is that the emergency/parking brake handle is located underneath the center armrest which has a storage compartment and corresponding lid. So in order to manipulate the emergency/parking brake, you have to first raise the center armrest. That's not exactly intelligent engineering, but several other things are pretty neat. Such as the plastic covers over the majority of the engine and battery. The engine oil dipstick and engine oil filler cap are isolated. You would have to be a complete, babbling idiot to end up saying that you can't seem to locate the engine oil dipstick or engine oil filler cap. The hood and trunk lid both use gas shock supports. It's nice that the hood doesn't use a prop rod. The trunk space is actually a lot better than you would think based upon the car's exterior appearance.
    XM Satellite Radio sounds really good with the upgraded Pioneer stereo system.
    Cabin is nice and quiet, and the vehicle has pretty good acceleration.

Overall, I think that GM could have a winner with the Cobalt if the introductory year gremlins aren't so severe that they scare off potential second year buyers. After having perused the vehicle and taken it for a test drive I have to give GM a lot of credit for their efforts pertaining to the Cobalt's design, engineering and manufacturing.

Ron M.
  • casandranowcasandranow Posts: 14
    I currently have a Chevy S-10 truck that's my primary vehicle, but it's not 4x4, so it's pretty much undriveable up here in the PA winter's. I'm looking for something that's relatively decent in the winter weather, but I can't afford a SUV or what I would ideally like to replace my S-10 with, the new Colorado. I've seen the Cobalts, heard nothing but good reviews and I'm definitely considering looking into one now. My only hold back is the afformentioned winter driving. Anyone know if it'd be passable here during the winter months? I'm not talking about blizzard conditions, just something that can get me back and forth to class and work without fishtailing all over the highway.

Ideally I'd like to get the coupe Cobalt, but generally coupe's are worse in the snow.
    Subaru Impreza has all wheel drive. I assume that to be the best in snow and on the dry for keeping wheels in motion.
    Loren
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    The Cobalt would do real well in snow conditions with it's optional traction control.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I'm just curious what color the gauges are at night? What about the white-faced gauges, do they light up in the same color or something else? Are all the power window/lock switches lit up like in the Malibu?
  • casandranowcasandranow Posts: 14
    I was actually wondering about that. The traction control feature did catch my eye when I was researching it and I thought maybe with the combined front wheel drive instead of rear wheel drive that it might be decent enough to get me around.

As it is now, I tend to have to bum my mother's Jeep from her on any kind of days when there's even an inch of snow on the ground, my little S-10 is just THAT bad in the slippery conditions. But I love the Chevy brand and I really wanted to try and stick with it.

As for the Subaru, way too pricey for my budget right now. I actually liked the look of the Baja's because of the crossover truck/SUV look, but again, way too pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • funcrusherfuncrusher Posts: 1
    This is truly a sweet car, and I am very pleased that it is made by chevy. I had been shopping for cars over the past week, going from dealership to dealership in hopes of finding another compact car. I have hade a civic, an integra, and a prelude, so I was looking for something besides a honda or acura. There is no question these cars have done right by me in the past, but I would have preferred an american car. The only problem was finding one that I actually like, which just wasn't happening, until now. To make a long story short, I went and test drove the new cobalt and was amazed. The first thing I noticed was the Recaro seats as I slid into the drivers seat. Can anyone debate the quality of Recaro seating? I dare you. The car is about as powerful as the old iroc-z's, but doesn't sound as good. I was willing to overlook this issue since everything else came together so nicely. The stereo is great for a stock system, and has mp3 capabilities. Out on the freeway I went, taking full advantage of the short shifter. I couldn't believe I was sitting in a chevy! I bought the car and haven't stopped having fun. Anyone who knocks this car without driving it is a fool.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Hopefully Chev will attract lots more people like you that had Japanese and European cars because GM had nothing to offer. The only SS I have seen was at my dealer. Hopefully I will see more of them soon.
    Buy a Cobalt SS instead of a Mustang V6? Why?
    Once the bugs are flattened, the Stang looks like a better $$$ value. Looks, V6, and RWD. And a farily good resale value.
    Loren
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,743
    I personally would go for the Stang, but don't gloss over that cars limitations. Read drive is not for everyone especially when you're talking about a live rear axle. Some people may prefer the smaller dimensions, front wheel drive and non-retro styling of the Cobalt.

Actually, a better question is why wouldn't you go for the Scion Tc with supercharger.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    The Cobalt and Mustang are two different types of cars. The Mustang is more of flash back at the past, the Cobalt is push to the future.

The Mustang is hot now, as was the PT Cruiser, Neon, and VW Bug, all of which are on a big decline. Mustang sales will cool off within a year.

Because of the high demand for new model Mustangs, and the over-manufacturing to fit demand, resale value will not be so good when time to sell or trade in.

The Mustang uses an old, unsophisticated Explorer V6 in the base model to power it and will not even come close to the performance of the supercharged 4-cylinder Cobalt coupe.

I have heard from Mustang owners that the new interiors are of poor quality materials. As far as the styling goes they did make a good effort at copying a 1960's model Mustang, but looks are in the eyes of the beholder and I think it looks ok, not great, not being a Mustang fan.

I will take the conservative style, fit, finish, mileage, and performance of a new Cobalt anyday.
    Someone posted this on another thread here on Edmund's
    ..passenger cars through April:

1- Toyota Camry: ----------------------- 138,939 up 6%
    2- Toyota Corolla: ----------------------- 115,994 up 13%
    3- Honda Accord: ----------------------- 112,606 down 2%
    4- Honda Civic: ---------------------------- 90,812 down 10%
    5- Chevy Impala: -------------------------- 87,770 down 7%
    6- Nissan Altima: ------------------------- 84,337 up 7%
    7- Ford Taurus: ---------------------------- 72,377 down 25%
    8- Ford Focus: ----------------------------- 64,916 down 2%
    9- Chevy Malibu: --------------------------- 62,604 up 63%
    10- Ford Mustang: ------------------------- 61,820 up 19%

11- Chevy Cobalt: -------------------------- 51,888
    12- Chrysler 300: --------------------------- 49,089 up 235%
    13- Chrysler PT Cruiser: ----------------- 41,509 down 4%
    14- Dodge Neon: ---------------------------- 40,871 down
    15- Chevy Classic: -------------------------- 40,115 up 5%
    16- Hyundai Sonata: ------------------------ 38,931 up 27%
    17- Nissan Sentra: -------------------------- 38,423 down 0.5%
    18- Dodge Stratus: -------------------------- 38,342 up 7%
    19- Hyundai Elantra: ------------------------ 38,106 up 13%
    20- Toyota Prius: ----------------------------- 34,225 up 151%

Well indeed some do like the Cobalt. For those suffering through heavy snow country may want FWD. Looks like an American alternative car to the Civic, with more HP. Some are looking for such. For those looking for updated styling in a Civic, there appears to be a new one coming out this year. Last year to get the PT before they make the nose job on her. Sure, it make the front larger under the hood to work on the car, but it may lose some of its charm. The PT is truly unique. The gas mileage is not too good though. The GM gas do a pretty good job at getting the most out of a gallon of gas. The Cobalt is not going to get 44MPG like the Civic HX, but it does have more power. Cobalt will win every time in the HP for the buck against Civic. In the coupe model, I still don't understand the SS value in that there is so much out there in that price range. Looked up the stats on the Mustang V6 and the 0-60 is 6.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.3 gas mileage is 28 MPG --- Cobalt SS is 0-60 6.4, 1/4 mile 14.9 gas mileage is 29 MPG freeway. The HP and Torque is actually less, but Cobalt is lighter. Both are coupes, and are not meant to be family sedans. Historic resale goes in favor of the Ford. The Mustang for 2005 looks perhaps too retro, and it thus you tend to compare it directly to the '68 which has the advantage of chrome bumps that did not have to stick out like a fat lower lip. Other than that, the car looks pretty rich. I kinda like the pre-'99 look though. Looks like Mustang is getting fatter. The Cobalt is lighter and looks more agile. Most agile goes to the Celica, which can be driven like a bat out of hell on corners. As for truly new designs, the hat goes off to the designer of the New Beetle for a retro, yet truly modern design, the PT for a new class of cool car, the CTS for its edgy really new look, and the Chrysler 300 for going way out on a limb to change Americas sedan. Cobalt is good evolution of the Civic cloning. More HP, and it has a USA brand on her. I will always recall what Lee said, " You lead, follow, or get out of the way! " GM has the Corvette, CTS(+STS) and the Hummer for those trying to look macho. What other new car is there at GM, did I miss anything class leader and new? As far as a deal on a car, I give you that the Cobalt minus say $2,500 is a pretty fair deal dollar wise. You can always buy the cars used in a couple of years and really save. A guess at price on the G6 or a Cobalt in three years time is somewhere close to 50% off. With many more miles ahead for the used cars, the value is outstanding indeed. You save a heck of a lot over buying a Japan make used.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Mazda3: ------------------------- 31,772 up 32.0%

Meade
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Is the m in mdaffron short for Mazda?
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Chevy has a lot of momentum with the Cobalt and the Malibu. Impala sales should pick up with the new model coming in September also. Cobalt should sell well, it's getting great reviews for the most part and has top crash scores.
    Can I assume more of the Malibu sales are fleet sales compared to the Cobalt? I do see some Malibu Maxx cars around my area, so someone is willing to fork out the cash. They seem overpriced to me, but what he heck, maybe $3K off is enough. I think I saw one that was something like $26K --wow! Anyway, the Cobalt can be had for more reasonable prices if you don't want everything and the kitchen sink on them. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I am very impressed that so many here are defending the little car. Ah yes, some loyalty to the Cobalt, and perhaps to Chevy and GM too. And I take it so far they are happy with their purchase. And in the end, that is all that matters. Car debates over style, country of origin, power, fuel mileage, image, and the like are meaningless in comparison to one being satisfied with what one has purchased. Some people will even put up with poorer service and higher cost of repairs, or more trips to get warranty work done, if they are in love with a car. It is a magic spell indeed. Hope the Cobalt is both liked by the new owners, and lives up to the promise of a better GM product. The good crash scores can't be a bad thing. Good luck, and have fun with the new cars. Thanks for debating the merits of the Cobalt vs. other cars without punching me in the nose. Hope I did not get out of line while asking why not this or that other car in your forum. Seems like some good people here. And like I said, must be a good sign when people defend their car vs another brand. Good day! - Loren