Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Chevy has used the electric power steering on a few cars for at least 2-years starting with the Malibu I believe. Manufactures are starting to go electric because there is less drag on the engine from a drive belt, and electric power steering has no drive belt on a power steering pump. So that should be good for a couple of free horsepower.

I have always preferred a stick shift as well. I know on the older automatic transmissions, you could count on losing between 20-30 hp just by having that luxury.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    Has anyone seen the report from the NHTSA about the Cobalt Side Impact Crash Tests? I have and I am very disappointed that the Cobalt did poorly in the test. The car was not tested with side impact airbags, but it still should have done better for a new design.I know the Cobalt did pretty well in the IIHS side impact test with side airbags. Anyway,the Cobalt was high on my list, but if I end up buying a small car it will be a Corolla.
  • Safety is important, but the tests aren't 100% real-world. For instance, my grandmother was hit by a Dodge Ram 4x4 traveling at 55mph in her 1999 Malibu (no side airbags) on the passenger side. On the passenger side of the car was my 86 year-old great-aunt. The crash did not harm either my grandmother or great-aunt, except for the aches and pains they received. It could have just been grace from Heaven, but I feel that they were pretty safe in that car which undoubtedly would not have tested very well.

I would take the IIHS tests more seriously than NHTSA although both are reliable.
    Its good that you are taking safety seriously though. :)
  • tiger10tiger10 Posts: 46
    the corolla got good ratings in side impact crash test ratings compared to the poor ratings all the others got in the class. corolla is the best compact car out there and i know it because i own one. :shades:
    The Cobalt and import Corolla are the best for their class according to the crash tests. The Cobalt and the Corolla also feared the same without the side impact bags. So the question is this, support a new upscale compact car that is rated really well all-around, or chose to purchase another good car made by another country.
  • jlecc2288jlecc2288 Posts: 1
    2005 Cobalt Sedan purchased new in March. 2300 miles. AC doesn't work (compressor doesn' kick in) when the car is hot. First time the dealer said it was a loose wire. Second time he said a recall fix corrected it. I'm about to go back for a third time and the car is less than three months old. Anyone else have this problem?
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    That is a really good question. My mother owns a 2004 Corolla, and she loves it.
    I have driven the Corolla, and it is a very good car. I have not driven the Cobalt, but have looked at them, and sat inside them. I think that GM finally did their homework and brought out a car that is very competitive. I have a GM card so the incentive to buy GM is still there.

Dontshopthewal: I realize that the crash tests are not real world figures, and each crash is different, but man can GM get it right on all fronts for once?
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Now we're talking! New base price for the Cobalt starting at $12,470.63 Not bad for the little coupe. I am thinking of up sizing my cars going forward, but I do like smaller for gas mileage and scooting around town. This looks like a pretty good deal. Was also looking at the price of Monte Carlos starting at $17,952.80. The G6 is now $18,497.38 for the V6 4dr. Looks like it has the newer 3.5 V6 compared to 3.4 and 3.8 in the Monte Carlo, which changes next year. Could very well be wrong, but it looks like some of the prices are better than the previous rebates + this n' that to the net-net. Some look impressive. Those that paid more just a few days ago, I am sure will not be so happy.
    Loren
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I can guarantee that some customers will be FURIOUS they can't get the huge rebates GM has accustomed them to along with these far more realistic prices. I wonder what effect, if any, this new pricing scheme will have on financing.
    If this is part of the new GM pricing strategy, is it only temporary? I heard that the public will be able to receive the same deal as a GM employee. I know that the put your neighbor in a new GM program (given by the employees) gives 18% off the list price.

Yes, there probably will be people who will get angry because of the lack of the rebate. They just need to be educated much like those who shop at Saturn and Car Max, who pay list price for a car, with no dickering.
    I would think that those that bought a couple days ago at a higher price may not be too happy now. Once you lower a price to a certain level, how will you go back. Like showing your hand in poker, is it now?
    Loren
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Actually, since they went to lower GMS prices, rebates were lowered (if not eliminated entirely), and things like special APR offers or lease deals were reduced or eliminated, this may not be the screaming deal it sounds like. Many folks who just bought cars are finding the differences in the tens or hundreds - certainly not thousands of $$$.

--Robert
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    were good again - 23,649 units sold.

I think the crash safety ratings have boosted the Cobalt's standing. It has moved (along with the Corolla) to the top of the list for a lot of buyers.
    I would never lease a car. I suppose some are getting a break on their taxes, so I makes sense. I am not in that position to need a tax break. As for buying on time, I no longer have a desire to make banks or GMAC financing any richer. I prefer to save money. What I can afford to buy, I buy. A borrower, nor a lender be ;) Ben, knows. I do like the idea of a lower price on these GM cars. A few prices still seem a bit high, but most look really good. Now, do they have the cars I want? Wish more had stick shifts, but I guess most Americans are shiftless. :surprise:
    Loren
    Americans sure don't like to shift, but I do. My last three vehicles have been manuel shift. I like having control of the car and would have a hard-time adjusting to an automatic. In fact I have had to lower my future car pick expectations based on if they have a stick shift or not. It was hard selling the 1967 GTO convertible 4-speed last summer after losing storage space.

Americans account for some 5% of new car sales with stick shift, while in Europe I believe it's over 50%.
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    Looked at a Cobalt LT coupe today, must say this looks like the best GM has ever done at a serious competition. Any coments are welcome
    Dashboard Looks like it was lifted from a Toyota, very quality looking peice

Simple side mouldings, modern pull style exterior door handles.

Flush rear and windshield moldings, (ever notice other GM's, they stick out and look cheap)

My only reservations are minor as I look at details.

The Old style whip antenna looks cheap, intergrate it into the rear window, it amazes me the technical advances auto makers have made but still stick an ugly 1950's antenna on the finished product/

The base engine has no Variable valve technology.

Will the round taillamps look good a few years from now? (coupe)

I think the coupe looks best from the side, the front has a late 80's econo look, But all in all I'm liking the looks a bit more than the outgoing civic.

They had the employee price posted which was 2,000 off msrp, seems like you can get this deal even without the employee price. Looks like the interior is where GM FINALLY honed in on, maybe the seats less so, but the dash looks as good as anything coming from hontoy..the parking brake looks a little akward, and the post mounted locks look a little funny,

What color do you think looks the best in the coupe,

especially in the area of the rear lamp surroundings? I am considering this little monster strongly, any opinions Thanks Sean
    I would not worry about the round tail lights not looking good years from now, since they have been like that on Corvettes for decades -- everyone loves the Vette! I would worry about the arm rests wearing out and getting dirty looking. The front looks boring. Overall it looks pretty nice. For those wanting something that will stand out more, there is the Monte Carlo starting at under $18K right now. At 180HP and 32 MPG freeway, it is still sort of an economy car. Sure beats the Mustang V6 automatic gas mileage. Looked at one today - not bad. Should be RWD, but what the heck. Look at Mustang sales - what was GM thinking :confuse: Just think if the Cobalt, G6 and Monte had RWD, 5 speed options as a stick and 5 sp. auto. It would be selling faster for sure. A V8 Monte Carlo - please. The V6 3400 and 3800 are OK by me, but for added sale, they need the V8 back. How about a 3.5 for the Cobalt? As for colors, red and that new metalic orange is cool. The darker blues look good. Not sure I like white and silver on this car. What do others think?
    Loren
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    The Monte is to wanna-be for my taste, yes the 3800 Is one of GM's best powerplants which should be standard in this coupe, with the V8 on SS.FWD, nah,

I am thinking the Cobalt will take on the Bargain basement cavalier image soon? what do you think?
    ___why did GM carry over the cheap drivetrain from the cavalier on the new cobalt, No clean slate?
    ___They should have deleted or relocated the trunk lock cylinder
    ___is this the same engine that ate head gaskets for lunch?
    ___Is this ecotech engine nearly refined as Toyotas small 4cyl?

I'm not really a brand loyalist, in my 20's, and have owned Nissan,Honda,Mitsu,Olds,Buick,Geo,Chevy,Chrysler and consistently the Japanese brands have always aged better in my case, even having twice the miles of some of there US plates,
    I must say the drivetrain in the 3.8L GM's i've owned have been dead reliable, its just everything else that was just so-so. I want to beleive that GM is starting to see the light, but it seems to late, They are a bohemeth of a company, with fixed expenses retirement-healthcare killing them, along with the cry baby union, It's hard to see them remain competitive, Toyota is knippin at the Generals heels, But hey GM agreed to those Fat pension/healthcare plans so...GM got to Big and comfortable and stayed there.....for years..so its hard to feel bad for them..I hope they can turn it around, they used to own 1/2 the NA market share!! now they will be lucky to take 20% by the time Toyota gets there slice sad for a company thats been around forever, threatened by a once offshore company that everybody lauged at, I used to favor and somewhat defend foreign nameplates, But now I feel like GM is the little guy trying to get there cut to stay afloat, i never in a million years thought GM could ever wimper to another carmaker on home soil...Lazy and unimaginative for to long..GM needs to kick it into gear, and fast..There products sit on the same platform and drivetrains for way to long, Give us a mass market must have, they don't..A Camry of GM's
    and perhaps a Nice alternative to the Sienna. Odyssey, they do very well in there segment.
    I read that Chrysler started the Minivan research and development thing back in early 1977 and they were the first and they sold like
    crazy, I guess all the good ideas are already taken, But GM gave us the Wondefull dustbuster/anteater looking Silohuette,Transport as an answer to Chrysler's successfull established Van thing..They always seem late to the game, Heck chrysler group always seems like the outa the box thinkers..They go after the gotta have it factor,but have there solid core products already making good profits..so they kinda take a chance..and they were at the brink of bankruptcy a couple times....Times have sure changed for the big 3..I think the Cobalt is much refined to the Neon, but the Neon is on its way out, soon to be replaced. so who knows. IMHO. Thanks Sean
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Well, let's see, sean3:

*GM used to have nearly 60 percent of the US market! They were widely suspected of keeping AMC afloat for antitrust reasons.

*It was FORD who developed the minivan, but didn't have the guts to market it. When Lee Iacocca was fired at Ford, he went to Chrysler where he encouraged them to improve on Ford's ideas and get the vehicle out. Renault was also instrumental in all this, and Lee ended up getting Chrysler to acquire AMC from Renault.

*Whip antennas? Most manufacturers are going back to them. There are way too many complaints about reception from the in glass antennas, and the whip antennas are less expensive to boot. Power ones result in many, many warranty claims. Even the new Ford Five Hundred has a whip antenna.

*Meanwhile, you want them to delete the trunk key? Another cost saver most companies are now doing that GM didn't do here? Can they win for losing?

*Head gaskets? In the mid-Nineties, as asbestos was removed from gaskets, nearly every company had engines eating gaskets for lunch. I, myself, had a 3800 from GM eat one on a 95 Olds LSS. GM's response? Nothing. Still, I bought two more of those engines from them in the next five years...the cars were the ones that I wanted most at the time, given my needs and budget. Now, GM offers nothing I want, and I own a Ford. I'd have liked to have seen the Bonneville kept up to date and priced reasonably, but neither happened.

*Yeah, Chrysler has been so innovative that IT is the one that survives only because of a Government bail out and incredible rebate program (Buy a car, get a check!) and it is the one now owned and ran by....Daimler of Germany.

The Cobalt is a fine car. Would that other GM cars were designed as well.
    I agree with you as to engines, but I doubt the average potential buyer of a Cobalt cares, though.
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    does anyone know the aerodynamic drag coefficent of the cobalt coupe verses the sedan. Any comments would be appreciated. I am trying to decide which model is best for me. The coupe already seems to have a weight advantage of about 200 pounds. I am curious if the coupe also has an aero advantage.I liked the view out of the sedan. If the sight lines out of the coupe are acceptable I may go that way.