Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    black or orange
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 196
    I like my red. But then of course of the 12 new vehicles I've bought over the years, 10 were red.
    i haven't seen many red ones but it is a nice color. is yours a LS.
    Mine's a LT 1 W/Auto, cruise and door trim.
  • Thanks bunches. It's fixed. I tried to post a comment on your page and it didnt work. :confuse:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Standard side airbags and MP3 capable disc players.
    Stabilitrak will be available as an option on some models (This is good since it isn't available on many competing small sedans until the new 2009 Corollas come out in February.
    Traction control will be thrown in if you get an automatic with optional ABS brakes.
    XM radio standard on non-fleet versions.
    Standard side curtain airbags deleted from fleet versions

I think it will continue on with the same old 4-speed automatic since I haven't ready any different, but I wonder if the new Malibu LTZ 4 cylinder models will have better mpg than a Cobalt due to it's six-speed automatic.
    That would be sad, but for the right price it may be an OK car if you don't care much about resale value and low mpg compared to many similar small sedans such as the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

I just tried to price a 2008 LT out on a couple web sites and Stabilitrak is not showing as available. It is supposed to be part of the 2LT package, but it isn't listed in the included equipment in that package.
    Maybe it's a "delayed availability" option.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Maybe the Corolla is slightly better mpg wise, who knows. It also depends on the magazine you read. In the July 2005 issue of Car & Driver, I believe it was, the Cobalt edged the Corolla 28.4 vs 28.2 in all around driving. They are all pretty close anyways. The Ecotechs are proving tough to beat especially at the race track.
  • I'm thinking about just trading in my cobalt sedan LS (all stock, no power windows or locks) for the supercharge.

I'm just curious if someone knows of a website on what happens or what I should do. Also pro's & con's.

My only worries is that it was one "accident" (I wasn't driving, which makes it very depressing). Cause? Honestly I don't know. Driver says steering wheel & brakes locked up, so we went over a very very small sidewalk curb (one that I KNOW normally wouldn't affect the car). Front axle broke and something else, but I don't know.

It has been in the shop twice for needing rotation of tires and other things, only because I had a hard time seeing where the curb is when I first started driving (I'm short. Can't quite help it).

Only problem I have now deals with the windshield wiper having a delay & engine not always starting up the same. But it will be going into the dealership soon, if its under the warranty (which, btw, we got many extended warranties).

Other than that, absolutely no problem at all. Completely love the car and the MPG.

I just believe we are over paying for the car. Almost $370/month 60-months for a the lowest trim possible. Quite crazy if you ask me. I might as well get something nicer if we are paying that.
    **By the way, are others paying less or more than this?? Just curious**

THANKS. I'm really hoping to get the supercharge after the beginning of the year soon. Think thats smarter than upgrading the LS.
  • No offense, but there were law suits over comparing the brand new Cobalt SS to the eliminated Cavalier in writing. The Cavalier, who was featured in car racing and funny cars, is long gone as of 2004. The Cobalt SS costs $25,000, the Cavalier cost $12,000. Do the math, this is incorrect and is aimed at pushing business overseas in my opinion. They don't even remotely resemble each other.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I was looking at one of these cars recently and it is a nice package for the money. A new 2008 Cobalt LT 4 door sedan, 5 speed manual, power package, XM radio, cruise control, spoiler, body side mouldings, for a quoted price of $ 14,295, minus my $ 1000 GM card rebate. So $ 13,295 plus tax OTD.

However, the instrument cluster does not appear to have a coolant temperature gauge, which is odd. Is this true, or is it located somewhere out of sight? If there is no gauge, is there at least an idiot light?

Are these cars pretty reliable? What are the most annoying issues with them? I know the resale value stinks, but it also does on my '99 Mazda 626 V6.
    there is a temp gauge in the info center that shows oil life ,mileage, trip meter, and the like. i have 11000 on mine and have had no problems. :)
    FWIW I'm in love with my 07 LT1 sedan W/Auto.

There's an "INFO" button on the steering wheel that'll flash all sorts of info by the speedo. Easy to use, just read a manual or ask your salesperson, they should know how it operates.
    Can you display the coolant temperature continuously? I am used to having a gauge in front of me at all times so I can glance at it without having to select display with some button.
    It could be done if you wish.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    Well it has been 8 months since I purchased my 2007 Cobalt LTZ, and already I have 10,500 miles on it. I absolutley love this car. The car is powerful and responsive enough, and it handles pretty darn good. I have the XM and Onstar which were both worth the money, besides how many owners of the imports can say that thier car emails them every month: none. I also have the remote start, and I still think it is a gimmick, but I do find myself using it. The only issue that I have had so far was a squeak in the back seat that was fixed during my first oil change. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a solid small car that is pretty good on gas, and comfortable to drive.
    Do they use a timing belt or a chain on late model (07 and 08) 2,2 liter and 2.4 liter engines?
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    I'm presently driving a 2005 chevrolet Equinox LT FWD. (s.u.v.) and thinking of trading it in for a 2008 Cobalt LT sport coupe.
    This is were I need help ... my friends are all telling me not to do it.
    They tell me that I have more protection in a Equinox and that it is safer to drive than the Cobalt and that the Equinox is more reliable than the Cobalt. What do you Cobalt owners think about what they are telling me.
    Is that possible?
    Up here we have lots of snow in winter time. That could be a factor ?
    the cobalt isn't a suv so itnot a direct comparison. my cobalt has front and side airbags and seatbelts. also cobalts are pretty tough cars. sa far as reliable i have one and another person i work with has won and neither of us have had any problems. :shades:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Cobalts have 5-star frontal rating and last I saw were rated good in side impact as well along with the Corolla. The side inpact test I saw over a-year-ago had no car better.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Posts: 23
    I have a 2005 Base model Cobalt with no options as well as a 2007 LS with no options. The 2005 has 40K miles and the 2007 is at 10K. Both cars have never been back for any repairs. Gas, oil, and tires only. MPG is great, around 35-37 on the highway consistantly. Great cars, low price, who can ask for more?
  • For do-it-yourselfers, the GM Ecotec engine requires a low-profile 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the plastic cap on top of the built-in oil filter. This tool is not easy to find.

However, Amazon.com is presently selling the "Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L" for $8.94 --- shipping is free if you buy something else that makes your order total over $25 (the something else can be anything you were probably going to buy anyway --- such as say a computer printer ink cartridge.)
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    You can get an Ecotec oil filter housing socket on eBay for under $10. I got a Lisle brand socket mailed to my door for $9. Very easy find at most any auto parts store as well.

Joel
  • Hey, Guy from NJ here. I plan on purchasing a Cobalt soon. Noticed you are also from Jersey. Hope you'll write back when you have a chance to: ggarofano@optonline.net
    Walked into my local CarQuest and walked out 5 min. later with the correct tool. Cost less than 10 bucks.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    It is good to hear from a from a person in NJ. What style of Cobalt are you considering, couple or sedan? What trim level? I honestly can say this, I have almost 13k miles on my car, and there is not a day that goes by that I can't say I regret buying a Cobalt. I absolutlely love the Onstar, and the XM is not bad either. Let us know what you are considering. Good luck in your search :D
  • Locally I could not find the low-profile socket at any of the auto parts stores.

I already had a normal 1 1/4" socket and it could be used to loosen the filter cap----- but then I had to re-tighten the cap somewhat to get space to remove the socket, and then I could unscrew the cap by hand. That worked but was inconvenient.

I'm glad to hear the low-profile socket is becoming more available. Many internet suppliers were asking more than $20 for them including shipping.
    http://www.tooldesk.com/items/productDetail.aspx+id+1770

This part has been available for several years, nothing new about it.

Like I said, my local Carquest had one on their tool rack when I walked in there a year ago.

Tools aren't cheap. Many don't understand the expense mechanics have in tools.
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    Yep, the black plastic oil filter housing cap is also made by Lisle corp, interestingly enough. Same major manufacturer of the "oil filter socket"

Joel