Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Our little Cobalts sure seem to be popular around here in western Kentucky. I see them everywhere I go.

Tom
    I had less enthusiasm for my little Cobalt than for any other new car that I have ever bought. This was strictly a "practical" matter of trading-in a truck with almost 220,000 miles on it for a car that would be dependable and get great gas mileage.

When I trade cars, I am usually in a frenzy, just dying to own whatever it is that I am trading for. Trading cars has always been a "passionate" thing with me, a decision made in the heart, not in the head.

I have really warmed up to the Cobalt, and even though it is practical, it is still fun to drive. I am impressed with its looks, its quality, its ride, its handling, and its power.

It's a keeper.

Tom
  • tsjay:

I'm glad you dig your Cobalt. I'm considering purchasing a 2009 version of this machine. I'm not looking to impress anyone with this vehicle, and I'm sure some peeps out there will assume that I'm a loser for purchasing such an automobile, but I don't care. They say that you are the car you drive, as you are what you eat...blahblahblah...I don't play that game. I could go and purchase a preowned Bimmer 3 series, or anything in that groove (if you know what I mean), but I repeat: I'm not looking to impress anyone...living in NYC and driving an impressive vehicle is just asking for trouble, in a way. I'd rather play it safe and not have to worry if I'll find my Cobalt, safe and sound, from being ripped off. I know there are better machines from which to choose from, but I do want a simple machine with all the toys (so to speak) to run from A to B and back. Follow? Anyway, it's nice to read of someone who purchased a Cobalt and enjoys it instead of the many who put it down for being "junk"...I've read some posts here and elsewhere that put this machine down. Wotta shame! It's no BMW, for sure, but it's easy to buy and get fixed if need be with dealers from coast to coast. Not venting, mate...just sharing some observations...speaking for myself. ;)

Good luck with your Cobalt!

Peace!<=AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
    Aladdinsane

I don't see how you could beat a Cobalt for the money. Mine stickered at $15,530, and GM had a $2000 rebate going at the time I bought it. What could I have possibly purchased for $13,530 that would come close to that Cobalt in terms of the whole package: room, comfort, ride, handling, acceleration, looks, fuel economy?

I can see myself putting a couple hundred thousand miles on that puppy.

Tom
  • I'm glad for you, Tom! :)

Which model did you get? Color? Sedan or coupe?

Forgive all my questions, but I'm interested.

Hope to hear from you soon, when you can!

Peace!<=AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
    I just got a stripped down LS. It doesn't even have power locks, power windows, or cruise control. It does have an auto tranny.

Tom
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,528
    Just looked at an '09 Cobalt at the dealer. Spare tire and wheel are a $75 option! And we're not talking a full-size spare here, either! Sheesh!
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I just thought that I would update everyone on my experiences with my 2007 Cobalt LTZ. My car has 20400 miles. The gas mileage has been pretty good, but the power of this engine still impresses me. I had a few minor issues taken care of by the dealer such as loose trim in the back, and some weatherstripping that had folded over causing some wind noise. The windnoise is still prominent, but the weathersrtipping is not the issue. My front brake rotors are warped, and the dealer will resurface them under warranty. Other than those minor problems the car has been great. I would recommend it to anyone shopping for a small car. The XM radio is great on both short and long trips. :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    > My front brake rotors are warped, and the dealer will resurface them under warranty.

If they are warped they need to be replaced. Push for replacement no matter if teh dealer says GM won't pay. I had warped rotor on the rear of a leSabre and they turned them. But within 10K that was back. Once warped, always warped.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    I own a 2005 Equinox. At 4,500 milles my rotors had to be resurface (warped) causing of a vibration when I applied the brakes. At 13,200 milles the same thing happened (always under warranty) the third time at 21,750 milles the dealer said that they could not resurface the rotors anymore because of the thickness and had to change the rotors and that it would not pass on warranty because it's part of the brake system and they called it "normal usage". I called G.M. 1-800 # , they contacted the service manager at the dealer and the rotors where changed under warranty. G.M. was very comprehensive in my case and told me that it wasn't normal to have the rotors resurface twice and then at 21,750 milles to change them and that I had still 75% good on my brake pads. My Equinox wasn't even 3 yrs old.
    G.M. called it "premature use". Don't let your dealer get you. If you need advice call G.M.'s 1-800 #.
    Too bad about your wind noise. I hope they can correct it. That's one of the things that I appreciate about my Cobalt: it has a very quiet ride for an ecomomy car.

I am more amazed all the time by the styling, quality, performance, and economy of a car that only stickered for $15,530 and had a $2000 rebate on it!

Tom
  • tcaloftcalof Posts: 29
    New '08 Cobalt LT, lease ended on an '05 Equinox, couldn't be happier with the Cobalt. I noticed that the engine runs quite hot in stop and go driving with the A/C off, typically starting at around 87C and then drifting upwards to 98C - 102C. That seemed too hot to me, so I removed that hideous plastic intake plenum cover. I like the look of top of the cam cover with the coil-on-plug ignition as well as the fact that removing the cover lowered my city engine temps by about 5C - 7C, which is not insignificant. I don't hear any louder operating noises in the cabin, so was wondering if there is anything detrimental about removing the cover for the summer. I plan to reinstall it for the winter, as we get -25C to -35C winter temps over several months in Manitoba.
    "Just looked at an '09 Cobalt at the dealer. Spare tire and wheel are a $75 option! And we're not talking a full-size spare here, either! Sheesh!"

But, Uplanderguy, for only another $50 you can get the jack, too! What a deal! :)

Just kidding about the jack, but that really sucks that you have to pay extra for a spare tire, especially when it is not a full size spare.

Tom
    I'm sure this comes up in the discussion for just about every make of car and truck, but what do you fellow Cobalt owners do for oil change interval?

I now have 3000 miles on my Cobalt, and the DIC says that I have only expended 25% of my oil life. This would mean that I could go to 12,000 miles before changing the oil. No way I would wait that long. What do you guys do???

I plan on going with Mobil 1 when I do change the oil, and I guess I would be willing to go 10,000 between changes, but no more than that.

I would like to hear from others in here on this subject.

Tom
    I change my oil, filter and lube between 5,000 or 6,000 milles. I drive a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox and like the Cobalt I have a "Oil Life Monitor" but I never wait for it to make my oil changes. If I'd go by the book, it's suppose to be every 12,000 milles or once a year. I don't care what they say in the book.... The oil is dumped every 5,000 milles.
    I also own a '05 Equinox LT and plan on bying a 2009 Cobalt LT next year. Here in Quebec we get bad winter storms and pretty cold weather too. My only consern is the "less storage space" and "winter driving" (snow, sleet and ice). How will it handle?
    I've always had S.U.V.'s or Vans, ex... (Blazer, Venture, Safari, Equinox) but with the price of gas these days and the kids gone, I might as well buy something smaller and more economical. But I'm still not certain that I'm making a good move.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Manufacturers are shifting over to inflation kits in lieu of spare tires for several reasons:

1. Most people don't know how to change a wheel or are afraid to do it. So inflation kits are better for most people than a spare tire.

2. Most punctures can be fixed by the sealant (I carry a can I bought at a parts store).

3. The manufacturer's kit includes a battery operated air pump to get you back to operating pressure.

4. The kit weighs less than a spare tire, even a compact one, and therefore saves gas.

5. Too many people don't take the warning about only using a compact spare tire to get to a tire repair shop seriously. You've seen them driving on those tiny spare tires. They put us all at danger. The traction is too different on that one axle. As a result, you have impaired handling.

6. The compact spares are limited to 50 miles an hour, but people drive much faster on them.

7. Tires chemically degrade over time without regard to use. So old (more than 5 years old) compact spares are a hazard.

8. No one checks air pressure in compact tires.

In short, compact tires take up space and are a hazard when new and worse when old. MINI and BMW have been including inflators in lieu of spare tires.

Honda's Fit is going to have more storage space due to use of an inflation kit.

In modern America tires stores are everywhere and tires are cheap. Conversely flats are rare, and many can be repaired by plugs or patches and plugs. Compact tires are about as useful as a hand crank on an electric start car.
  • johnwnyjohnwny Posts: 7
    So the inflation kits are the same as a can of fix-o-flat and a air pump? :confuse:
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    So far as I know, yes. So those cans we sneered at all those years now have OEM blessings....

I'm more tempted to get that "string repair" kit since all my flats have been from screws and nails leading to slow leaks. Once that sealant is sprayed in, the wheel is an awful mess.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    I bought the Bose Stereo in my 2006 Impala and it didn't sound much different than the standard stereo in an Impala I rented a few months later.. I think that it was a waste of money. Has anyone compared the Pioneer stereo in the Cobalt to the standard stereo? Is it worth the difference in cost sound wise and the 2LT requirement in order to order one?
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    i think it is. unless you are going to up grade with after market. :D
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    I'm trying to find someone who has tried both systems and can answer the question. I'm sure that the Pioneer System is nice but I want to compare it to the standard system and I can't do it in this small dealership here.
  • Thanks to all who posted on my brake rotor problem. When I go to the dealer to get it repaired, I will insist on new brake rotors. Hopefully I will not have to call the 800 number.

On another note, I may need a new radio head unit. On some occasions when I touch the volume control to either raise or lower the volume, the radio or the CD player will go to the next frequency or the next CD track. I will have the dealer look into it, but I am sure it will mean a whole new head unit. I have XM radio too, so that would mean a new ID number.

In spite of all of this I still like my car, and would still recommend it to anyone. :D
  • Picked up my Victory Red Cobalt coupe this afternoon. Paint job is fantastic. Like glass..Better than my 2003 Cadillac. I like the way it rides and handles. The radio is disappointing. It doesn't feel like the sound wraps around inside the car. .If I had ordered it I would have gotten the Pioneer system with more speakers. The car was on the lot and with the present discount I felt that it was as cheap as it would ever be so I didn't order one. It would have arrived after the sale expires on 30 Sept. I figured that if gas goes up the last thing that GM will do is discount economy cars. The wheel -which resembles a Toyota one or the one in a Pontiac Vibe -my 2006 Impala wheel was much better - doesn't tilt down far enough but the seat controls are OK. The lumbar wheel when turned counter clockwise makes the seat feel like a rock. I keep it off. Driving position could be better. The seat bottom is tiled back. I'm spoiled and much prefer power seats. I don't like to recline when I drive. In any event this car drives and feels very familiar and the suspension is soft. I've driven Toyotas and other Japanese cars and they feel stiff. I don't like a "European" ride. GM is just fine. I'm glad I purchased it. If I had ordered it I would have gotten a 2LT and a bunch of packages that wouldn't bring 10 cents when I sell it. I rented a 2008 LT2 in Hawaii in January and I got about 28 MPG driving around Kauai which doesn't have heavy traffic. I'm looking forward to the gas mileage on the Cobalt. My Deville and my old classic '86 Silverado were killing me.
  • The seat belt on the coupe runs through a device which is attached to the headrest. It passes through a round plastic hole with a slit in the side -I guess to pull the belt out when someone wants to get in the back seat of the coupe. Problem is that the slot is at the 3:00 position and is wide enough that the seat belt slides out of it and hangs behind the door -a long reach. What an incredibly stupid idea. The slot should have been at the top. In any event I jammed a piece of plastic in the slot and the seat belt now stays inside the hole. On my Cadillac the seat belt is mounted on the seat itself beside the headrest. -a much better way to go.
  • Other than the Pontiac G5 what other GM cars are built on the Cobalt platform?
    Saturn Ion is the only one I could find. (That was in 2005, not sure if it is still true.)

Tom
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have downsized their vehicle in the past year . If you moved from a larger vehicle to a smaller one, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Thursday, October 16.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thanks. There are several in Europe.